Will Parise Really Stay In NJ?

Quinn01

I think it's more like a need to wallow in the anxiety with as many as can stand it.

I hear you Quinn!

I can't get a read. I think he's not petty or compartmentalized though.

I DO get a distinct feeling he's doing all he can to help Kovalchuk. I think that he's doing his best to not leave the devils or more precisely, any of his teammates in the lurch. He's not pulling any Holik "I can look in de mirror and sleep like a leetle bebby at night... can anyone else on dis team?" while preparing to move on all season long.

I think Chico's take is coming from his relationship with JP -- and I think that makes it far to easy to over-simplify. JP is emotionally removed and has a different ambition for his son. He can't know what will truly make Zach happy.... it's his job as a dad to push Zach out of his comfort zone just in case ZACH doesn't really know what he wants. (and Zach is no fool -- he knows anything he says to Chico will go right back to his dad one way or the other -- so the communication is tainted - not in a negative way but in a keep every one happy - keep everyone's emotions as level as possible until it's time to really make a decision. Chico is a loud mouth who thinks he's helping -- which he IS but you have to keep it in the proper perspective too...)

In the end there will be consensus - and since every one seems to be coming from the right place I'm fine with however it plays out. I really like Zach and wish he'd stay but I'd understand if he left.

I feel ZERO ill will on any side. Every side has to question loyalties and such --but I approve of what every side is doing :noclue:

Random related story that I just remembered from last year.

I went to a Devils/Wings game in Detroit. On the way to the game I ran into a Wings fan that said he knew JP Parise and would occasionally go fishing with him. He asked me what I thought would happen with Zach and of course I mentioned that I was confident he would stay with the Devs. He told me at that time that he had talked with JP about Zach and that Zach was unhappy in NJ; especially with management. He knew way too much about the Parise family to be making sh!t up, especially since he was an older Wings fan.

Anyways, the reason I wanted to share this was just because it sort of goes hand-in-hand with what Chico apparently said about how Zach felt about the org.

Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by mrthemike

That's something that alot of people tend to overlook. How many of Parise's goals are actually scored from outside the slot/crease area?

Parise is a skilled finisher when he's got the puck in that slot/crease area, but that kind of living also relies on having linemates that can support that style as well. The puck doesn't get in that area on it's own. To get it there himself or make it happen, Parise works extremely hard and uses his intelligence on the ice, but he could also use some help with linemates that mesh with his ability. Also, does Parise make the players around him better or do the players around him make him bettter?

I'm a supporter of Parise. I've liked him since his 1st pro season in Albany. He's a type of player that you need on your team to win a Cup. He's a top line forward on any team in the league. No question he needs to be kept. However, as much as i feel he will not be back, i do not think it will the end of the world for the Devils. It will hurt, no question but remember, this is an organization that's won only 2 playoff rounds and missed the playoffs once in his career here and are probably a 7-8 seed at best this year. It's like the old saying goes (paraphrasing) "we're not winning anything with you, and we won't win anything without you, either".

Is he the type of player you need to win a championship or is it "we lost with you, we can lose without you"? You're confused! ;)

It's never the end of the world when you lose one player. But it's a very tough pill to swallow when the Devils fell over themselves trying to sign Kovalchuk, a player who hasn't fit in here; meanwhile, Zach Parise, a player who fits very well here and plays a style of hockey most of us love, probably won't be back. Disheartening.

at this point i really don't know...

• obviously yes, he's saying he wants to stay here and all... but its not as if he'd go public and say that he wants out but "i think" he means it but still who knows

• he has to be frustrated right now cause he's not producing like he would certainly like and he's not really clicking with a lot of players except henrique and zubrus it seems + his linemate and best bud in the team is out... and langenbrunner who played with him for his whole time as a devils is gone too (not saying its a good reason obviously but it must be in the back of his mind)

• with the financial status he may want to jump the ship asap too

one thing is sure... IF Zach resign... he's gonna be my boy for a LONG TIME

I'm a relatively new Devils fan, and I wanted Kovy on this team. But it was Parise that got my Devils loyalty going and his olympic performance renewed my love for the game itself. that and then skating with my son which is a joy after being away from the game for a long time.

I really hope we do everything we can financially to keep him in red and black, he is the heart of this team

hopefully langs hasnt totally turned him off of Lou, and once he gets paid more than Kovy any ego involvment (which may not even be a factor)will be healed

getting into the playoffs and getting fans in the seats will go a long way

i think (or probly i'd like to think) that Zach is an hard worker who wants to be part of a solution... not leave cause its not looking too good ahead... or get smaller cap friendly long term deal cause they see a bright future in the organization

i mean there's really good players resigning long term with teams who almost never made the playoffs, on top of my head Rick Nash, Mikko Koivu, etc while some others are more selfish and jumps from team to team to win like Hossa, Heatley...

im pretty sure Zach is a loyal guy who really wants to play with the same team his whole career... but thats if he doesnt let Don Meehan get into his head too much though, cause money talks

You think he should be payed more then Kovy?

Heck yeah, on a yearly salary basis. 6+ mil is hardly a back breaker.

but he needs to keep scoring or racking up points as he has historicly

Kovy's deal is hardly the killer some are making it. and in 2012 there will be a bunch of money coming off the books in the NHL I don't see us keeping him for less

So pregame comentary tonight on ZP have him being resigned at 50/50 chance...I would hate to have yet another young solid player get moved. Flashes Brendan Shanahan back in the day.

Milbury and Jones are like the studio version of "dumb and dumber". Milbury is "dumber", BTW. Actually, it's a pretty close race with Jones, but Milbury always gets the nod for his shoe attack at MSG.

So pregame comentary tonight on ZP have him being resigned at 50/50 chance...I would hate to have yet another young solid player get moved. Flash back to Brendan Shanahan back in the day.

That was just Keith Jones' opinion. In other news, I think Zach is a 70/30 chance to stay. So that should ease everyone's minds. :P

I hate to say it but since Travis went down, Zach has become less consitant, or is it the lack of playing with a year off either way you look at it. He needs to pick it up or in my opinion he is trade bait come the deadline.

If anything it'll help us resign him. Or, at least, lessen his value across the league. He needs that solid center to support him and help him produce (sound familiar?)

I know it's been said that giving Zach the captaincy might have been done with the hope that it might help him decide to stay in NJ rather than relinquish that type of role on our team, but I just don't see Lou allowing someone to gain the captaincy without being very sure that player is going to stay around. I don't think he gets that C if Lou thinks he's not here next year.

Yes. Zach will be a Devil 4ever

No. Quinn and pk's avy's continually confuse me as to who posted .... til I read the post that is ... whistling.gif

You think he should be payed more then Kovy?

To my mind Parise should absolutely be paid more than Kovy. I'm not a Kovy hater. I like him and I'm glad we have him, but aside from being a scorer I don't notice him doing much else. On the other hand, Parise is great playmaker even when he isn't scoring. The guy works his ass off every time he hits the rink, and makes everybody around him better. He may never be the scorer that Kovy is, but in my mind he's far and away the better player. Edited by Brick Pig

To my mind Parise should absolutely be paid more than Kovy. I'm not a Kovy hater. I like him and I'm glad we have him, but aside from being a scorer I don't notice him doing much else. On the other hand, Parise is great playmaker even when he isn't scoring. The guy works his ass off every time he hits the rink, and makes everybody around him better. He may never be the scorer that Kovy is, but in my mind he's far and away the better player.

I wouldnt say that Parise is a better player, they are different in many ways but yes I would say that Zach is a more rounded player then Kovy is. Parise will never be the stick handler that Kovy is though. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Parise will never be the stick handler that Kovy is though. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I agree that they both have their weaknesses, but I think Kovy has a lot more of them than Zach does. And while I read all the time about what great stick skills Kovy has, it seems to me like he turns the puck over just about every other time he touches it. I know the conventional wisdom is to say that he turns it over so much because he's doing such amazing things with it. But to me, if he's turning it over all the time, that means he's not really doing amazing things with it, but rather he's attempting to do amazing things and failing.

Again, I like having Kovy on the team and I don't discount what he has to offer. I just don't think he offers as much as Parise does. He may very well score more than Parise, but that's only one part of the package.

Edited by Brick Pig

I want Parise here. But looking at how things have gone and what people in the business are saying I am not optimistic that he will be signed by the Devils. Every team wants him. Lots of money available. The Devils financial mess will cause his father to say get out while you can. However I expect a season long lockout in 2012/2013 year. The new CBA contract for 2013/2014 and the next 5 years may make him ineligible for UFA in the new CBA year 2012/2013. Lou is hoping that this happens.

Honestly I want the best for Parise I think he has earned my respect and I support him regardless of where he goes even if it hurts the Devils, being an old man I can say he is a very nice kid.