possible nhl realignment

Vic Rattlehead18

I know this has been discussed in a thread but don't know if this particular realigment is old news or not. I'm watching the wings/avs game from last night.

1: rangers, islanders, devils, caps, canes, lightning, panthers

2: leafs, sens, canadiens, flyers, pens, sabres, bruins

3: wings, jackets, hawks, blues, preds, wild, stars, jets

4: canucks, oilers, flames, sharks, kings, ducks, avs, coyotes

The first two rounds of the playoffs would take place within your own region. And then teams are seeded for the final four.

Seems good for the wests time zones. But I don't get why ny area and pa teams aren't switched

The more I see proposed realignments, the more I feel the league should stop trying to appease everyone geographically. Just throw team names in a hat and pull 'em out, give the conferences and divisions non-geographic names and call it a day. If fairness is really an issue, then it isn't really fair at all that teams on the I-95 corridor in the northeast can take the bus to half their road games while Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg, etc. need a plane and synchronized multi-time-zone watches for every single one of theirs.

The more I see proposed realignments, the more I feel the league should stop trying to appease everyone geographically. Just throw team names in a hat and pull 'em out, give the conferences and divisions non-geographic names and call it a day.

That's basically what's happening in college football now, only the conferences are still keeping their own names so you have absurdities like the 'Big East' recruiting Boise State :P

I'd hate to see the NHL go that route and eliminate local rivalries while having other goofy configurations.

The Western Conference will sh!t a brick if you have only the top 4 in each division make the playoffs and their divisions have 8 teams each while the Eastern conference only has 7 in each.

From my understanding, there would no longer be an Eastern and Western Conference with those realignments. Four divisions, no conferences.

There is absolutely , positively no reason to try and re-invent the damn wheel here. Move Columbus or Nashville east, move Winnipeg west and be done with it.

There is absolutely, positively no reason to try and re-invent the damn wheel here. Move Columbus or Nashville east, move Winnipeg west and be done with it.

There is absolutely, positively no reason to try and re-invent the damn wheel here. Move Columbus or Nashville east, move Winnipeg west and be done with it.

+1

+1

+1

The league is fairly balanced as it is currently constituted. There is no reason to tear it apart so the Red Wings can be appeased. What are they going to do, join the ECHL? The League needs their presence in the Western Conference so they have at least 2 original 6 teams, and this whole problem can be easily solved by moving Columbus to the East.

There is absolutely , positively no reason to try and re-invent the damn wheel here. Move Columbus or Nashville east, move Winnipeg west and be done with it.

I agree with the first two points, but not the third one...

But yeah there is no reason to restructure the entire league, just do a one-for-one swap.

Why couldn't they just have the top 16 teams (by points) make the playoffs. That could lead to some pretty entertaining finals matchups too. How amazing would a Devs-Rags finals be?

That would only be fair if the schedule wasn't set up so that you mostly play teams in your conference. Then again the way it is now you play more games in your own division but the division standings only decide six playoff spots.

The league is fairly balanced as it is currently constituted. There is no reason to tear it apart so the Red Wings can be appeased. What are they going to do, join the ECHL? The League needs their presence in the Western Conference so they have at least 2 original 6 teams, and this whole problem can be easily solved by moving Columbus to the East.

Red Wings and Columbus are the only two Western teams in the Eastern time zone. Red Wings would have the switch over the Jackets because they've been dealing with it longer

Why couldn't they just have the top 16 teams (by points) make the playoffs. That could lead to some pretty entertaining finals matchups too. How amazing would a Devs-Rags finals be?

I would have liked that too. But then you have the problem of fans on the West not being able to watch the games because they're too early, or too late if it were canucks vs kings. Plus traveling would take a physical and wallet toll for teams that are playing cross-coast every round

I dont like losing the Pens and Flyers... here's how I'd realign:

2ymxe05.jpg

Me likely, especially if it's accompanied by (1) a schedule change that has you play one home and one away against everyone in the league and the rest in your division, and (2) the idea Vic mentioned of dropping the conferences and having the last four teams go at it Final Four-style. The biggest issue that has come up in the realignment debate is that we've been limiting ourselves to the concept of east versus west. If we can free ourselves from that mindset and simply go with four regions that make the most sense, it'll be a whole lot better.

If you look at the history of NHL divisions, though, you'll see that the wheel was already reinvented more than once. I don't see why we can't do it again if that's what's best.

NHL Alignment Since 1967 (SixteenWins)

NHL Realignment: What Can We Learn From 44 Years Of Seismic League Changes? (SB Nation)

The last I had heard, the Red Wings were backing off of their demand to move East provided the league implements a scheduling change similar to (or perhaps exactly like) the one I already mentioned.

You could have a Tampa Bay-Vancouver first round series too.....that would be a disaster in travel.....

its as simple as this, youre right......Winnipeg out west, Columbus to the east

and if Columbus or Florida ever folds...move Nashville east

Me likely, especially if it's accompanied by (1) a schedule change that has you play one home and one away against everyone in the league and the rest in your division, and (2) the idea Vic mentioned of dropping the conferences and having the last four teams go at it Final Four-style. The biggest issue that has come up in the realignment debate is that we've been limiting ourselves to the concept of east versus west. If we can free ourselves from that mindset and simply go with four regions that make the most sense, it'll be a whole lot better.

If you look at the history of NHL divisions, though, you'll see that the wheel was already reinvented more than once. I don't see why we can't do it again if that's what's best.

NHL Alignment Since 1967 (SixteenWins)

NHL Realignment: What Can We Learn From 44 Years Of Seismic League Changes? (SB Nation)

The last I had heard, the Red Wings were backing off of their demand to move East provided the league implements a scheduling change similar to (or perhaps exactly like) the one I already mentioned.

But I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel again Rowdy. I think the current system works just fine- a swap is really all that's needed this time. If they want to adjust the schedule to make travel on the western teams a little lighter, that's fine. But all I would do is move Columbus east, move Winnipeg to the west. Put Columbus in the Southeast (maybe not the most sensible division geographically for them, but the Indianapolis Colts- another midwestern team- are in the AFC South in the NFL, so why not?) put Winnipeg in the Northwest, and move Colorado to the Pacific, while moving Dallas to the Central. Boom- problem solved, while making geographic sense (mostly).

Edited by MadDog2020

That's basically what's happening in college football now, only the conferences are still keeping their own names so you have absurdities like the 'Big East' recruiting Boise State :P

I'd hate to see the NHL go that route and eliminate local rivalries while having other goofy configurations.

Rivalries would always be there as long as the scheduling didn't do something silly like being entirely inter-divisional. And besides, rivalries are relative. Break one up and a new one will form. For a while, we were pretty bitter with Toronto, based solely on a couple crazy playoff series. Were we EVER in the same division as them?

Look at that map from each team's individual perspective and it's impossible to appease everyone. Columbus would want to be in the same division as Detroit and Pittsburgh. St. Louis would want to be in the same division as Columbus and Nashville. Dallas would want to be in the same division as St. Louis and Colorado. Colorado would want to be in the same division as the three Cali teams and Phoenix. Meanwhile, the two Florida teams would want to be in the same division as Nashville and Carolina. Carolina would want to be in the same division as Washington. Washington would want to be in the same division as Philadelphia. And Philadelphia NOT being in the same division as the two New Yorks and New Jersey would just be stupid.

You just can't please everyone, geographically.

Blow it all up. This way NO ONE is happy. It's the only fair way.

Tyler Durden for Commish!

Red Wings and Columbus are the only two Western teams in the Eastern time zone. Red Wings would have the switch over the Jackets because they've been dealing with it longer

The Red Wings have been dealing with it longer but they draw fans when they travel out to the West Coast while Columbus doesn't even draw fans at home. The past few years, I've seen New Jersey and Pittsburgh among others in Columbus and the opposing fans filled up that arena. Columbus could draw a lot of revenue by moving to the East. They are the most logical in my opinion.

The more I see proposed realignments, the more I feel the league should stop trying to appease everyone geographically. Just throw team names in a hat and pull 'em out, give the conferences and divisions non-geographic names and call it a day. If fairness is really an issue, then it isn't really fair at all that teams on the I-95 corridor in the northeast can take the bus to half their road games while Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg, etc. need a plane and synchronized multi-time-zone watches for every single one of theirs.

Real world economics tell you that just "throwing a name in a hat" isn't feasible today. Jet fuel prices/logistics costs are skyrocketing and teams will pass on these costs to the fans.

For example, the Devils simply have to take a bus from Newark to Philly on Thursday for a night game. After the game they bus back up. On Saturday, they can bus to the Island to play a game there. And again, bus back after the game. Bussing these two games are not even close to a fraction of the cost of, let's say, the following scenario-

Winnipeg flies to Nashville to play a Thursday night game. If their next game is on the road, to let's say, Dallas, they have to fly half way across the country to play there. They also have to pay Thursday night/Friday night's hotel costs/meal costs/logistics costs until they wait for the Dallas game on Saturday. This is much more money than the Devils would have paid in their two road games in the scenario I gave above.

Chartering airplanes/booking 4 to 5 star hotels can be costly. Very costly. Don't think the Sheraton gives group discounts to sports teams. In fact, they hit them over the head with big time costs....

I think regionalization makes sense...