Joe Paterno

GoArmySports

First off, as a sophomore here at PSU U Park, I will admit bias but, I also believe that my opinions are logically rooted. And, I also want to say that I was not part of the riots last night, because apparently unlike a lot of my classmates I had an exam to study for. But now for my thoughts....

I am very much against the firing of Joe Paterno. In hindsight (which we all know is 20/20), yes, he could have and should have done more, and even he has admitted that, and said that he wishes he had done more. However, at the time, what more did you want him to do? He informed his superiors, the AD (Curley (still has a job (on administrative leave))), and the chief of University Police (Schultz (has criminal charges coming against him for perjury, but I believe still has a job (correct me if I'm wrong))). At this point, he had to believe (just like most people) that the situation would get dealt with if his superiors determined the situation called for it. Unfortunately, they decided to basically slap Sandusky on wrist, and cover the whole thing up. So why is it that Joe Paterno was the only one fired through all of this (technically Spanier resigned)? Why does McQueary, who actually witnessed the damn thing (and walked away!!!!!), not only still have a job, but is being allowed to coach from the sidelines Saturday, still have a job? The only reason is that the university wanted to make a statement that they were taking action, and decided that firing the legendary football coach, who had already said he was retiring after the season anyway, was high enough profile for them.

Beyond that, they handled it terribly. As I heard on ESPN earlier today, "if you can send a courier to Paterno's house to deliver a letter to tell him to call a number at a certain time (how shady does that sound?), to inform him of his release by phone, you can tell him in person." The man has brought this school and incredible amount of prestige, donated millions of dollars to build a library on campus, and simply has been the face of the university (today I ate lunch at a sandwich place called "Joegies") for almost a half a century now. What honestly does a man have to do to get the dignity of being fired in person?!

Also, they had to know that the riots would take place. Most of the well-informed students have the same opinion as me, and the not-so-well-informed ones love JoePa because he's JoePa and will go get drunk and riot because they think it's good sport. They could've prevented this, and the negative publicity it is making by letting Joe retire after the season, on his own terms, like he wanted to. The students would have been fine with that. We all view JoePa as almost a second father, and if you can't rip him away without a backlash. That said, those riots were stupid, that didn't do any good. Joe wouldn't have wanted that. We all agree on that.

[Rant Over.]

The second paterno realized that his "superiors" were not going to do anything ( oh wait.. they told sandusky he could not bring any more kids to school.. lol) would probably have been a good time to go to the police.

Good post. I was up last night watching the coverage on ESPN News for about an hour after the board's announcement. That whole time, the crowd of students was pretty tame, for the most part. It wasn't till this morning that I saw on the news that some rioting took place. But even so, I could tell that it was only a very small fraction of the crowd.

here's your tame crowd tipping over a news van.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c4mLB7O6v-s

here's your tame crowd tipping over a news van.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c4mLB7O6v-s

I know, that wasn't tame. I saw it on the news today. What I was saying was that I was up last night watching the coverage of the crowd on TV for about a little over an hour from the time of the press conference. When I fell asleep at around 11:45 p.m., that craziness hadn't happened yet -- or at least it hadn't yet been shown on TV.

the guy helped cover up a child rape scandal, for years. i dont care what legacy the coach has.

also, you say JoePa is the only one fired, but thats not that logical because others who would've been fired had already resigned, right?

Joe didn't cover up anything. He told the HEAD OF UNIVERSITY POLICE. What do you want him to do? Put on cape, and go fight?!

As far as you're other point. The others involved (not including Sandusky obviously) were the AD Curley (whom Joe told), the University Police chief Schultz (whom Joe and Curley told), President Spanier (it's kinda blurry as far as exactly how much he knew), and McQueary, then then-grad assistant, now assistant coach (who witnessed the crime in 2002 and did not only did not stop it as it happened, he only went on to tell his father and eventually, Paterno). Curley is on administrative leave (still employed). Schultz is now "retired." Spanier resigned yesterday (was threatended to be fied if he didn't). McQueary coached the team in practice today. So you are right in a way. I guess what I meant was that Joe was the only one officially given the dishonorable discharge of being "fired," and not given the opportunity to honrably resign or retire, the way Spanier or Schultz was. Like I said, they wanted to make a statement, and give them credit, they certainly did.

ok i see you... but when you deal with a CHILD RAPE scandal you only tell university police? and when you dont see this situation blow up like it should, and when you dont see the guy that was raping the kids get arrested- you just let it be?? any human would want to see a child rapist get locked up ASAP.. He knew what was going on, dont let his legacy make you think he was completely innocent here.

Edited by Onddeck

ok i see you... but when you deal with a CHILD RAPE scandal you only tell university police? and when you dont see this situation blow up like it should, and when you dont see the guy that was raping the kids get arrested- you just let it be?? any human would want to see a child rapist get locked up ASAP.. He knew what was going on, dont let his legacy make you think he was completely innocent here.

Ok, I understand you think he should have done more, and honestly I agree that that would have been the right thing to do. And I understand that he is not completely innocent. But my point is that he is not the only one who should be held accountable, and the media is making him out to be so.

Really, it's terrible that Joe Paterno is the focus of this at all. Firing Joe Paterno can't change what happened to those unfortunate (for lack of a better word) children that were abused. We should be focusing on them and their future, or Sandusky and what should happen to him.

I am very much against the firing of Joe Paterno. In hindsight (which we all know is 20/20), yes, he could have and should have done more, and even he has admitted that, and said that he wishes he had done more. However, at the time, what more did you want him to do? He informed his superiors, the AD (Curley (still has a job (on administrative leave))), and the chief of University Police (Schultz (has criminal charges coming against him for perjury, but I believe still has a job (correct me if I'm wrong))). At this point, he had to believe (just like most people) that the situation would get dealt with if his superiors determined the situation called for it. Unfortunately, they decided to basically slap Sandusky on wrist, and cover the whole thing up. So why is it that Joe Paterno was the only one fired through all of this (technically Spanier resigned)? Why does McQueary, who actually witnessed the damn thing (and walked away!!!!!), not only still have a job, but is being allowed to coach from the sidelines Saturday, still have a job? The only reason is that the university wanted to make a statement that they were taking action, and decided that firing the legendary football coach, who had already said he was retiring after the season anyway, was high enough profile for them.

That, in a nutshell, is my issue with this too. A witch hunt was demanded, and a witch hunt was indeed conducted.

If you see someone being raped in a Mall bathroom you don't go to Mall Security, you call 911. Anyone who knew anything and didn't go directly to the police, not University police...the police, deserve to lose their jobs. Period. I've got an 8 and a 3 year old, both boys. Can't fathom anyone being ok with not making sure what was being done was stopped and the person responsible punished. Everyone who knew and did nothing should not have jobs at the University and that includes McQueary.

First off, as a sophomore here at PSU U Park, I will admit bias but, I also believe that my opinions are logically rooted. And, I also want to say that I was not part of the riots last night, because apparently unlike a lot of my classmates I had an exam to study for. But now for my thoughts....

Beyond that, they handled it terribly. As I heard on ESPN earlier today, "if you can send a courier to Paterno's house to deliver a letter to tell him to call a number at a certain time (how shady does that sound?), to inform him of his release by phone, you can tell him in person." The man has brought this school and incredible amount of prestige, donated millions of dollars to build a library on campus, and simply has been the face of the university (today I ate lunch at a sandwich place called "Joegies") for almost a half a century now. What honestly does a man have to do to get the dignity of being fired in person?!

Also, they had to know that the riots would take place. Most of the well-informed students have the same opinion as me, and the not-so-well-informed ones love JoePa because he's JoePa and will go get drunk and riot because they think it's good sport. They could've prevented this, and the negative publicity it is making by letting Joe retire after the season, on his own terms, like he wanted to. The students would have been fine with that. We all view JoePa as almost a second father, and if you can't rip him away without a backlash. That said, those riots were stupid, that didn't do any good. Joe wouldn't have wanted that. We all agree on that.

[Rant Over.]

Dude, nothing against you personally, but I'm tired of seeing these BS explanations/excuses for him. How about you read the grand jury testimony and tell me how far you get before getting sick?

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF

If JoePa or even yourself knew even 1/1000th of the details would you be cool with just telling your boss and assume it all got taken care of? B.S. he totally knew. Being a legend doesn’t give you a pass. Bottom line.

I cringe every time I've seen any current student speaking on TV today. I know the media selectively edits this, but you'd think more of you would get harboring a pedophile doesn't entitle you to leave a job on your own terms. Wish more of you would get that.

Everyone who knew and did nothing should not have jobs at the University and that includes McQueary.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't over until McQueary gets sh!tcanned. Until that happens, Paterno is a scapegoat, nothing more.

Though I do wonder how this would have unfolded had Paterno retired a few years ago like he probably should have.

Dude, nothing against you personally, but I'm tired of seeing these BS explanations/excuses for him. How about you read the grand jury testimony and tell me how far you get before getting sick?

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF

If JoePa or even yourself knew even 1/1000th of the details would you be cool with just telling your boss and assume it all got taken care of? B.S. he totally knew. Being a legend doesn’t give you a pass. Bottom line.

I cringe every time I've seen any current student speaking on TV today. I know the media selectively edits this, but you'd think more of you would get harboring a pedophile doesn't entitle you to leave a job on your own terms. Wish more of you would get that.

I read a lot of the report (skimmed really). Of course it's appalling what Sandusky did to these kids, and he deserves jail for life or maybe even the death penalty if Pennsylvania has it (but that's a whole other can of worms), and you are right, Paterno knew of this, probably to a larger degree than he'd ever admit. But in reading the grand jury report, you have every little detail right in front of you, and it just makes you want to go settle things with Sandusky yourself. However, Paterno probably didn't know all of these details that would galvanize us into action. I know that's not much of an excuse, but you have to put yourself in his shoes. Would you have really done more? What would State College Police have actually done if Paterno had went to them? Any eveidence he had was hear-say, and they would have been especially skeptical after he said he had already informed university police. It's terrible, and I hate myself for saying it, but I probably wouldn't have done more, nor do I think most people would have (if you would have, great for you, we should all try o be like you (no sarcasm intended here, sorry if it came off that way)), but that's about society, not you, or me, or Paterno.

And once again, I would just like to reiterate that my biggest problem with this is that Paterno is the ONE getting attention from this. If his name were not Joe Paterno, he would not be the one we are focusing on.

I read a lot of the report (skimmed really). Of course it's appalling what Sandusky did to these kids, and he deserves jail for life or maybe even the death penalty if Pennsylvania has it (but that's a whole other can of worms), and you are right, Paterno knew of this, probably to a larger degree than he'd ever admit. But in reading the grand jury report, you have every little detail right in front of you, and it just makes you want to go settle things with Sandusky yourself. However, Paterno probably didn't know all of these details that would galvanize us into action. I know that's not much of an excuse, but you have to put yourself in his shoes. Would you have really done more? What would State College Police have actually done if Paterno had went to them? Any eveidence he had was hear-say, and they would have been especially skeptical after he said he had already informed university police. It's terrible, and I hate myself for saying it, but I probably wouldn't have done more, nor do I think most people would have (if you would have, great for you, we should all try o be like you (no sarcasm intended here, sorry if it came off that way)), but that's about society, not you, or me, or Paterno.

And once again, I would just like to reiterate that my biggest problem with this is that Paterno is the ONE getting attention from this. If his name were not Joe Paterno, he would not be the one we are focusing on.

I don't agree that Paterno is the ONE getting attention from this. McQueary's name is being brought up more and more, as it should be, as he was in a position to do something about the incident he witnessed, and did nothing. And I'm glad he won't be on the sidelines on Saturday, but why it took that long for that to be determined...

The thing about Paterno is, he obviously wielded a lot of power on that campus, and I think he liked knowing that he was powerful (most normal people would get off on that on some level)...and when it came to this matter, he simply didn't wield nearly enough of it, and in doing so, showed no real concern for the victims. That is my main problem with him. But I haven't forgotten that Sandusky is truly the sickest of the sick...even better than the death penalty, just throw him in jail in general population. The rest will take care of itself.

Paterno's also the one who ran the campus for fifty years. It's like saying why are we talking about the president when some member of his cabinet gets involved in a scandal? Because it's the president, the buck ultimately stops with him! And because there's no debate about Sandusky being a monster, while there is a debate about just how much Paterno knew and did to cover it up. Not to mention genuine dissapointment in him.

Besides if his name weren't Joe Paterno, this wouldn't have been kept under wraps for so long and he would have been fired immediately when it did come to light. You gotta take the good with the bad for what being Joe Paterno means.

I cringe every time I've seen any current student speaking on TV today. I know the media selectively edits this

It's not even that so much, it's just that almost no Penn State student who has a bad word to say about Paterno will dare go on camera right now. A couple did during the riots and people came after them.

Joe didn't cover up anything. He told the HEAD OF UNIVERSITY POLICE. What do you want him to do? Put on cape, and go fight?!

How about permabanning the monster from campus, for starters? He was still allowed to do pretty much whatever he wanted until LAST WEEK. And you think there really was no idea Paterno knew there was something wrong? When there was an investigation in '98, the McQuery incident in '02 and god knows however many other red flags there were, or times Sandusky was seen with young boys on campus.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Would you have really done more? What would State College Police have actually done if Paterno had went to them? Any eveidence he had was hear-say, and they would have been especially skeptical after he said he had already informed university police. It's terrible, and I hate myself for saying it, but I probably wouldn't have done more, nor do I think most people would have (if you would have, great for you, we should all try o be like you (no sarcasm intended here, sorry if it came off that way)), but that's about society, not you, or me, or Paterno.

Yes I would have, all crime is hear-say until you open an investigation. Joe was rightfully the focus because he is the face of the program and its clear he knew.

And here is what else you should be angry about, when you are ready to graduate and start going on job interviews this is going to come up over and over again, and right or wrong someone might look at you and picture the rioters.

I'm settled in may career now, but for all the commiserating I’ve done w/ friends, old classmates and co-workers about this, this is going to follow me too.

It's not even that so much, it's just that almost no Penn State student who has a bad word to say about Paterno will dare go on camera right now. A couple did during the riots and people came after them.

yeah I get that, mentioned that in an earlier post. Myself and most of my friends graduated by 98, and we all share the same anger and disgust over this.

The sheer fact it took until last night for McQueary to be announced as not coaching for Saturday's game shows how screwed up the situation is in Happy Valley. He should have been dismissed the same time as Paterno and the President. The board hoped by firing those two, the outrage would decrease, but as many have pointed out, the focus is now on the asshat who [for all intensive purposes] literally turned a blind eye to a rape in progress.

I'm sorry, and this isn't a message board tough guy coming out, if I ever see a rape occurring, no matter how much smaller I am, I'm first calling the cops, then intervening immediately with as much brutal force and pain as I can inflict. Its that simple.

And with mandated reporter laws, these coaches are simply crucifying themselves.

Edited by jagknife

The sheer fact it took until last night for McQueary to be announced as not coaching for Saturday's game shows how screwed up the situation is in Happy Valley. He should have been dismissed the same time as Paterno and the President. The board hoped by firing those two, the outrage would decrease, but as many have pointed out, the focus is now on the asshat who [for all intensive purposes] literally turned a blind eye to a rape in progress.

I'm sorry, and this isn't a message board tough guy coming out, if I ever see a rape occurring, no matter how much smaller I am, I'm first calling the cops, then intervening immediately with as much brutal force and pain as I can inflict. Its that simple.

And with mandated reporter laws, these coaches are simply crucifying themselves.

according to some reports that i have read, sandusky was the heir apparent to succeed paterno after he retired. The first time sandusky was "caught" with a kid was in 1998. In 1999 paterno told sandusky he would not be the head coach (according to the grand jury report). Is it just me or does the timing of that indicate that paterno knew back then. So don't BAN him from the campus or athletic facilities.. just make sure he can't be the head coach. To me paterno knew what sandusky was.

edit.. article about the students and analogy to the people abused by Catholic priests..

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Police-say-numerous-suspects-found-in-riot-following-firing-of-Penn-State-coach-Joe-Paterno

Edited by Guest

And here is what else you should be angry about, when you are ready to graduate and start going on job interviews this is going to come up over and over again, and right or wrong someone might look at you and picture the rioters.

Oh, don't worry. I'm already angry about that, and so are most students who weren't one of them. All they served to do was soil the good name of Penn State even further. They are a disgrace to this institution as well.

Something else though, is that after Wednesday night, I am very proud of this student body for truly being much more well-informed as a whole than I previously would have given them credit for, and also for really coming together and trying to fix the image that those involved with the scandal and the rioters destroyed over the last week. That first night was filled with a lot of emotion from all of us, but that was really a select few morons who had a few to many and were looking for an excuse to break things (from those who I've talked to, most of the people who were there were just kind of watching the spectacle unfold before them). We want the world to know that that is not Penn State.

Thankfully Sandusky is in jail

No. Sandusky is not in jail. He's been out since the day he was charged on unsecured bail. He didnt have to put up a dime to get out and bail is only paid if he skips out on court.

I don't understand anyone sticking up for Paterno in this situation. Yes, he was a legend and has done more than probably any one person in regards to PSU, but he dropped the ball here. BIG TIME. I can't imagine the next 3 or 4 weeks and Joe Paterno still allowed to coach and this going on all around them. The media would maul him and considering that he will be the target of civil cases, would put the university in further peril. As of right now, we dont have all the facts, but it was Joe's responsibility, as head of the football program to ask questions and find out more when this went down as it happened in his building, by a man he worked with/knew for 30-40 yrs, and had likely heard about prior allegations. He passed the buck, which legally clears him, but its far from right. His statement on Wed about retirement was pure arrogance and the BOT had no choice after that. The school is not the football team. Spanier, Curley, and Schulz were also justifiably removed/resigned. Nothing can be said to save Joe. He needed to be removed to begin the healing. Even if his mistake was smaller than it was etc, no one in the hierarchy deserves a pass. Thats the other side of the coin of power, mistakes are amplified because of the power you hold. McQueary, I have absolutely no respect for as Im walking into that shower and killing Sandusky if I see that. He called Daddy at 28 years old (!) because his first thought was "The Program". None of these men deserve to lead young people again. You cant lead if you cant protect. And in Joe's case, you can't lead if you can't talk. He would not be asked another football question this year.

As for the rioters, anyone who's attended a large university has seen something like that. There are also 40000 students at PSU and there was an extremely small fraction of those types out causing trouble. Its college. A couple of idiots get an idea and people end up following. It hasnt happened again and is not representative of the whole student body. Firing Joe was worth a news van getting tipped over. The "riots" were a bunch of kids getting rowdy and then getting tired; remembering they have class the next day.

Edited by ghdi
  • Like 1

That's incredible.

Heh, it doesnt make any sense to me when theres eyewitness testimony of a rape, but yea, he was apparently spotted at Dick's Sporting Goods in State College on Thursday decked out in PSU gear too. The gall is frightening.

This is going to take years before its over. Its going to take years before Sandusky goes to trial, years before all of the civil cases are taken care of, etc. Id not be surprised if 5-10 years from now its still not over. No way is Sandusky going to cop a plea at 67-68-69 years old. His attorney is going to get continuance after continuance, and he'll get it too as the amount of victims (which they say is around 17 now) and length of time that Sandusky was raping kids is so long. This one indictment is 15 years alone with 40 charges. Id be surprised if a year from now any major progress has been made in the courts. I also believe that its going to get much worse for the parties involved. This is literally the beginning. I hope Joe Pa lives to see the end of it because I believe only then will he have even a chance of regaining some of his good will outside of State College after he testifies.

As for McQueary, I believe it took so long for his status to be decided because of whistleblower protection laws. There was no way he was going to coach this weekend but the university erred on the side of caution there and probably had legal working overtime on that alone.

I think these articles are must reads

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/11/11/111111-news-penn-state-abuse-6-8/

Edited by ghdi

I read this today and found it to be a perspective that hasn't been shared enough. From Peter King's MMQB column:

I asked Emily Kaplan, a friend of mine from New Jersey, a Penn State junior, and a writer for the campus paper the Daily Collegian, to write something about how the campus was dealing with the Sandusky/Paterno crisis. Her report, filed Sunday night from State College, Pa.:

The origin of the iconic "We Are ... Penn State" chant, the school's signature slogan on and off the football field, is believed to have occurred the same year Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier. In the pre-Paterno year of 1947, SMU didn't want to play Penn State because of PSU's two African-American players and wanted to negotiate a compromise. "We are Penn State," said captain Steve Suhey. "There will be no meetings."

So began the battle cry of unity, as all Penn Staters, to this day, consider ourselves part of a special family. Suhey's son Matt starred at Penn State in the 1970s, and Matt's son Joe played fullback for the Lions Saturday against Nebraska. Walk into a crowded room and shout, "We are ... " and any Penn Stater would know how to respond. The chant represents pride, respect and tradition.

Today, we are Penn State ... but we are ashamed. We are ashamed that our leaders who preach doing the right thing and "success with honor" dishonored all of us with their inaction over an alleged child-abuse scandal. We are embarrassed by the way we are being portrayed, as a football-centric school that would let a child molester walk if that meant our name would stay clean. We read the grand jury report and we are just as disgusted as anyone -- if not more. We are praying for the victims and hopeful they will find justice. We are heartbroken that this could happen here.

But as a Penn State junior, I can tell you this: We are going to be OK. We are not going to let an assistant football coach, apparently a very sick one, or a few university suits define us. For a moment, we lost our identity. We felt sorry for ourselves. We sulked that we were the victims of media scrutiny and that this scandal tarnished our school. But we are not the victims. The children are. So we will move on, working on repairing our school, while honoring those kids along the way.

Already the scandal's ramifications are swirling around campus. Four students apparently lost their spring internships because companies didn't want to be associated with Penn State. Corporate sponsors are supposedly pulling out of THON, Penn State's annual dance marathon, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, which has raised more than $78 million for pediatric cancer. If all true, it's sad. If people don't want to wear their Penn State garb anymore, it's their decision. But this I know: We are a school with a glorious tradition, a school dedicated to doing things the right way. Our longtime father figure, Joe Paterno, taught us that.

Look, I'm no Penn State apologist. I can't condone the stupid tantrum some of my classmates threw Wednesday night after Paterno's dismissal. Nobody condones the arrogant decisions some of our leaders made. I've also heard the criticism against my school. Happy Valley is in a bubble. Penn State is too image-conscious. JoePa is too deified. The riots give some credence to that. So did the presence of 100 students at Joe Pa's modest off-campus home, many teary-eyed, waiting for him to come out Wednesday night so they could say goodbye and thank him. On the surface it seemed ridiculous. How could students still support this man who didn't do enough to help abused children?

Truth is, if not for Paterno's philanthropy and moral code (until his fatal lapse of judgment), I and thousands of others wouldn't be here right now. If not for Paterno and his grand experiment -- creating a national powerhouse football program with high academic standards -- Pennsylvania State might still be an agriculture school and State College might be lucky if there were a Wal-Mart within a 30-mile radius. Paterno made a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean he's not a good man. When he emerged from his house Wednesday night, I was there when he addressed the gathering. One of the first things he said was, "Go study."

So we will study at Paterno Library, a place Joe and his wife made happen, we will eat Peachy Paterno ice cream and we will remember the lessons he taught us about integrity and honor. We will also remember his mistake, and make sure we never repeat it.

We will fund raise harder than ever for THON, we will work harder than ever in the classroom. Our president, our athletic director, our football coach, will not be around anymore. But we will be, and we will start to rebuild our university's shattered image. Whoever our next football coach may be next season, we will stand behind him and our players. Because we are Penn State. And like the hundreds of thousands of alumni around the country, we always will be.

If the stuff about Penn State students getting dropped from internships and sponsors dropping from THON is true, then we ALL have to look in the mirror, not just those in Happy Valley. What happened there is ugly enough. We don't need to paint it with a brush so broad that it spreads the ugly to people who are trying to positively affect the world around them.