Cox: NHL set to unload or move Coyotes

thefiestygoat

15,176 would mean some lean years and I still don't see the corporate support in Quebec. There really isn't much industry other then natural resources in the Quebec region.

They're drawing 4-5 thousand less than that in Phoenix. If they can sell out a bad Winnipeg team for five years, they can sell out Quebec.

I would rather see the team go North. I wouldnt mind seeing a team in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire area. The yotes have always called me for some reason. They are on my top 5 teams in the NHL. Not really sure why though. :unsure:

Vermont is definitely out. Not enough people in Burlington or anywhere else in the state to support a team.

The only logical place I can think to put a team in New Hampshire is Manchester, and they're close enough to Boston that the Bruins would block it. Manchester does a good enough job of supporting UNH hockey and the AHL's Monarchs (Kings affiliate), but I don't know if there's enough people there to sustain a NHL franchise, even considering that you'd draw from all over NH, southern Maine, and probably northern Massachusetts. Besides, the Verizon Wireless Arena seats just under 10,000 for hockey and I don't know how expandable it is. It's also too young to be replaced; it opened 10 years ago yesterday (according to Wikipedia).

Maine is also out. Portland's probably the best place to put a team (as they host the AHL's Pirates), and, well, forget about it. They're very resistant to change in Maine, especially if their tax money pays for said change; in the election last week the voters of Cumberland County finally approved bonds for renovation of their aging arena (built in the late '70s, holds about 6700 for hockey), and even that was a surprise. The only way you'd get an arena suitable for the NHL is if someone came in and funded the entire project themselves. Also, Portland might be far enough away from Boston that the Bruins wouldn't object (but don't count on it), but the population is too small for a team anyway.

If you were going to put a second team in New England with the Bruins' approval, I would go with (in order):

- either Boston itself or Worcester

- Providence

- Hartford

- Manchester

All pending new or upgraded arenas, of course.

• 2 months later...

I didn't think this article warranted a new thread but it does offer an interesting view on the lack of hype coming from Quebec lately.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/10/nhl-saturday-quebec-wisely-offers-silent-treatment

As the clock ticks in Phoenix on the fate of the Coyotes, it's interesting to note the Cone of Silence has descended in Quebec City where Marcel Aubut, still a hockey power-broker, and Regis Lebeaume, the once chatty mayor, have dialled down the rhetoric.

That pattern served True North Sport and Entertainment well in Winnipeg in its quest to land an NHL franchise.

Things went dark in Winnipeg and then, boom, True North was announcing it had bought the Atlanta Thrashers and turned them into the Jets 2.0.

Some interesting quotes from Bettman in the article about getting the mayor to stay out of the spotlight and the author mentions that Quebecor has refused interviews on the subject.

To me the list of relocation cities would be

1.Quebec

2.Kansas City

3.Hamilton

5.Seattle

5.Hartford

seriously not Canada biased just where i think it would make more sense for now

lol @ Hamilton. That place is never getting an NHL team, the current arena is sh!t and the city itself is an even bigger piece of sh!t. Just an awful, awful, depressing city. They barely deserve an AHL team.

Quebec in a temp arena is much smarter than Kansas CIty, in which as soon as the team sucks the interest will die off. Its just not a solid place to plant an Ice Hockey team...and in today's economy forget it. I'm guessing the hurdles to get another NHL team into Canada right now though would be quite large.

Congrats Hoboken!

laugh.gif...oh the humanity...oh the traffic...

Edited by ben00rs