Jump to content

Why I Still Prefer the Meadowlands over Prudential Center


msweet

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I’m a Devils fan, so I go where the Devils go.  The Prudential Center is a good building. My issue has always been Newark. As a white person, I was always more comfortable in the Meadowlands. It’s as simple as that. 

Cringe Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mfitz804 as you know I’m always almost in the Loft and most of the offerings there are quite solid, but yeah, the concourse options are simply not up to snuff.

We never do the local bars and restaurants either, for much the same reason as you stated…and of course, we eat plenty when we go…we usually get there right when the doors open.  We chow down when we get there and then have some more during the first intermission.  I don’t ever drink when I’m with my kid, and I’ve gotten to the point where I’m not really drinking much at all, anywhere.

I consider the Devils Den a convenience store.  Want a RR 2.0 right now?  OK, here you go!  Here’s the premium adder for not having to wait for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of member berries in this thread. I've been a season ticket holder in both arenas. I've been happy with Prudential since it opened but I went to the Meadowlands when they changed the name to Izod in its last year for a few concert and wrestling events and anyone who can say they enjoyed that dump more is running on pure nostalgia.

The one hallway was an absolute nightmare, bathroom lines ridiculous. Plus you had to pay a set price to park no matter what. I don't miss the place at all.

Also super happy we never ended up in Hoboken. I might have dropped my season tickets if we did cause now that place would be a true nightmare to drive to. I have no traffic issues leaving Newark, even with a sold out crowd. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also super happy we never ended up in Hoboken. I might have dropped my season tickets if we did cause now that place would be a true nightmare to drive to. I have no traffic issues leaving Newark, even with a sold out crowd. 

Hoboken would have been a disaster for exactky that reason, not to mention how much a sports arena would fvck up the vibe of a pretty cool city to hang out in. Devils fans might like it, everyone else would hate it and all of the fans it brought to their neighborhood. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, Rob D said:

As someone who had season tickets multiple years in the 90’s, I second the original post, and for one reason. I was there a few nights ago at the sold out Devils vs Leafs game. The acoustics of the old building, and the sound echoing off of every wall, plastic seat, and piece of concrete were just DIFFERENT. It didn’t matter how loud the crowd got the other night, it didn’t hold a candle to the arena floor literally shaking from noise at Brendan Byrne. Prime example.. If anyone frequented games in the 90’s, you’d remember the guy who always had his face painted starting the D-E-V-I-L-S chant. You could literally hear him echo from ACROSS the arena. It was just different. The sound deadening in the new building almost made it sound like a video game to me. It’s a nice building, but I don’t care how much tech you put in there, it’ll never beat the roar of the crowd in the old one. Just my take.

Lets not pretend that the arena was shaking every night back then. For big games like the 03 game 7? Sure. But I've spent many a nights with a not even close to sold out building and a quiet crowd for many many weeknight games. 

If we had the past decade of hockey we just experienced at the Meadowlands now the attendance would have been horrific. It stayed decent because of the ease of public transportation for a lot of people. 

Bauman was louder back then cause he was 15+ years younger and sat in the upper deck there so his voice carried more. He's always in the lower deck now. 

Game 6 of 2012 playoffs vs the Rangers was louder than many many big moments at the Meadowlands. If the team keeps playing like they are the atmosphere wiil be insane for the playoffs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lets not pretend that the arena was shaking every night back then. For big games like the 03 game 7? Sure. But I've spent many a nights with a not even close to sold out building and a quiet crowd for many many weeknight games. 

My buddy used to get us season tickets 10 rows behind the goal from his mom's company, whenever someone didn't otherwise want them. Many a game, we would be sitting there with tons of empty seats around us on a Monday or Tuesday. So this is absolutely correct. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I’m a Devils fan, so I go where the Devils go.  The Prudential Center is a good building. My issue has always been Newark. As a white person, I was always more comfortable in the Meadowlands. It’s as simple as that. 

Is this a joke?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never felt unsafe in Newark. I've certainly never said the sentence "I'm white so I don't feel comfortable". Some serious "lock the doors when you drive down this road" energy there. 

for the first few years we went, we'd park in Lot 6 which was on East Kinney street, several blocks from the arena. It certainly wasn't any less safe feeling than any other city I've been to. (Found myself in center city philly after a Devils game once, probably wouldn't do that again.) You have to stray pretty far from the confines of the Prudential Center / Ironbound bridge area to get into anything even moderately shady. Group of buddies and I used to get bar crawl after the game, even before there was that little street of bars. 

Eventually we did the train, and that was awesome. 

Weird post. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lets not pretend that the arena was shaking every night back then. For big games like the 03 game 7? Sure. But I've spent many a nights with a not even close to sold out building and a quiet crowd for many many weeknight games. 

If we had the past decade of hockey we just experienced at the Meadowlands now the attendance would have been horrific. It stayed decent because of the ease of public transportation for a lot of people. 

Bauman was louder back then cause he was 15+ years younger and sat in the upper deck there so his voice carried more. He's always in the lower deck now. 

Game 6 of 2012 playoffs vs the Rangers was louder than many many big moments at the Meadowlands. If the team keeps playing like they are the atmosphere wiil be insane for the playoffs. 

Lol this exactly. You could hear Baumann's voice "ECHO!!" because there were 6,500 fans at the game in a 19,000 seat arena. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I miss parking at CAA, because it was in the swamp they just had their lot, and the cattle tunnel... it was a fun experience.    Parking now in Newark is always a crapshoot for me.  I don't go enough to get a routine for it, so when I do go... it's trying to find an open lot or parralel park in a tight spot with my pickup.

The CAA sucked for amenities and the fan experience.   Agreed, I miss Baumann from 2000; but that was 20 years ago.    I don't blame the Rock for it as much as father time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I've never felt unsafe in Newark. I've certainly never said the sentence "I'm white so I don't feel comfortable". Some serious "lock the doors when you drive down this road" energy there. 

for the first few years we went, we'd park in Lot 6 which was on East Kinney street, several blocks from the arena. It certainly wasn't any less safe feeling than any other city I've been to. (Found myself in center city philly after a Devils game once, probably wouldn't do that again.) You have to stray pretty far from the confines of the Prudential Center / Ironbound bridge area to get into anything even moderately shady. Group of buddies and I used to get bar crawl after the game, even before there was that little street of bars. 

Eventually we did the train, and that was awesome. 

Weird post. 

Maybe you were part of the reason it was shady. 

I personally don't walk around in fear, but if you get a couple blocks from the arena, that neighborhood gets questionable. Given that I don't go to the bars and restaurants and I am bougie enough to park in the closest lot, its not an issue for me. I am sure there are plenty of people who couldn't be bothered, and there are some bad people. 

Funny Newark story, a friend of mine who is not only white but like 65 years old and a physician was out to dinner in Newark on that night a year or two ago where there was torrential rain and massive flooding. He was driving when the flood waters hit and his car started to get swept away, but he was able to get the window down and get out of it, leaving him swimming in dirty water that was flowing like a river and trying not to die. 

Two very large black homeboy types about half his age (his description) appeared and using something they found on the street to fish him out of the water. They took him back to their apartment, gave him towels to dry off and a dry set of clothes and shoes (which I would have paid to see, this guy wears a suit 24/7 and I am sure that's not what they gave him). They let him use their phone to call someone and get picked up. He thanked them and offered to Venmo them some money, they refused. 

Instead, he went back after a couple of weeks (after getting a new car), returned the borrowed outfit, and took both guys out to an expensive dinner and then to a bar in Manhattan. They have since all gone out for dinner another 2-3 times, and they still keep in touch. And, for those curious, the second meal, they treated my friend, and they seem to rotate who pays (I suspected my friend was financing it, he said he isn't). 

So I guess the moral of the story is, despite the post above, black people aren't inherently bad or dangerous (shocking, I know). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Honestly I miss parking at CAA, because it was in the swamp they just had their lot, and the cattle tunnel... it was a fun experience.    Parking now in Newark is always a crapshoot for me.  I don't go enough to get a routine for it, so when I do go... it's trying to find an open lot or parralel park in a tight spot with my pickup.

The CAA sucked for amenities and the fan experience.   Agreed, I miss Baumann from 2000; but that was 20 years ago.    I don't blame the Rock for it as much as father time.

I don't know, I find the parking in Newark much more convenient. I hated going through that tunnel. It was sure fun after a big win, but after a loss, it was just freezing cold and annoying, and by the time you got to your car, you knew it could potentially take forever to leave the lot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol this exactly. You could hear Baumann's voice "ECHO!!" because there were 6,500 fans at the game in a 19,000 seat arena. 

Weird thing about the initial post re:  Baumann was that the poster mentioned Baumann wearing facepaint.  I've been watching him do his thing since the 80s and I don't remember him ever wearing facepaint. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know, I find the parking in Newark much more convenient. I hated going through that tunnel. It was sure fun after a big win, but after a loss, it was just freezing cold and annoying, and by the time you got to your car, you knew it could potentially take forever to leave the lot. 

Yeah I hated the cattle tunnel...especially the one that felt like it could collapse at any second.  The new one was certainly a nice improvement but wasn't any warmer.

But I used to park in the tunnel lot (near old Giants Stadium) whenever I could because I knew I could avoid the arena traffic that way.

And one thing that's nice about the new building is that it actually makes some sense to get there early (especially if you have restaurant, club, or loft seats).  The CAA offered absolutely no pregame bells and whistles...if you got there early you just sat there and waited and waited and waited.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And one thing that's nice about the new building is that it actually makes some sense to get there early (especially if you have restaurant, club, or loft seats).  The CAA offered absolutely no pregame bells and whistles...if you got there early you just sat there and waited and waited and waited.  

Very true. Not that I am ever able to get anywhere early with a 15 year old daughter. Is yours still ready on time for things???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Very true. Not that I am ever able to get anywhere early with a 15 year old daughter. Is yours still ready on time for things???

She's never late for food...another great reason to spring for a Loft seat heh heh.

She's not too bad but she can dilly dally sometimes when it comes to other things...I just keep on her that we have someplace to go.  My brother's younger kids (9 and 8)...that's basically cat-herding most of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

She's never late for food...another great reason to spring for a Loft seat heh heh.

She's not too bad but she can dilly dally sometimes when it comes to other things...I just keep on her that we have someplace to go.  My brother's younger kids (9 and 8)...that's basically cat-herding most of the time.

Valid point, food is a motivator for sure. 

Lately its 45 minutes of hair and (barely any) makeup before we can do anything. Often at the expense of everything else. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I don't ever remember him painting his face either 

Think he's doing an unconscious mash-up of Baumann and that one guy who always paints his whole head red and black, heh heh.

As committed as I've always been, that the one level that I've never been able to take it to.  Never once done facepaint of any kind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Valid point, food is a motivator for sure. 

Lately its 45 minutes of hair and (barely any) makeup before we can do anything. Often at the expense of everything else. 

The other good thing is on a rare weeknight where we go to a game, I tell my wife to meet me a hotel close to my work at 4:45 pm (always the same one), so she can drop off my daughter...then we're usually through the doors by 5:40 - 5:50.  My wife will make sure my kid's not screwing around, so between that and the food, we pretty much have her under control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think he's doing an unconscious mash-up of Baumann and that one guy who always paints his whole head red and black, heh heh.

As committed as I've always been, that the one level that I've never been able to take it to.  Never once done facepaint of any kind.

I hate facepaint. Fun fact though, the very first time I met my in-laws, before I was even dating my wife, me and my friends were in full Kiss makeup on Halloween. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The other good thing is on a rare weeknight where we go to a game, I tell my wife to meet me a hotel close to my work at 4:45 pm (always the same one), so she can drop off my daughter...then we're usually through the doors by 5:40 - 5:50.  My wife will make sure my kid's not screwing around, so between that and the food, we pretty much have her under control.

I would be borderline amazed if I could get to a game before 6:30 lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lots of member berries in this thread. I've been a season ticket holder in both arenas. I've been happy with Prudential since it opened but I went to the Meadowlands when they changed the name to Izod in its last year for a few concert and wrestling events and anyone who can say they enjoyed that dump more is running on pure nostalgia.

The one hallway was an absolute nightmare, bathroom lines ridiculous. Plus you had to pay a set price to park no matter what. I don't miss the place at all.

Also super happy we never ended up in Hoboken. I might have dropped my season tickets if we did cause now that place would be a true nightmare to drive to. I have no traffic issues leaving Newark, even with a sold out crowd. 

Hoboken would’ve been interesting for sure. The traffic issue would have had to be solved. Maybe an additional outlet road that connected to Washington St. in Jersey City and then then 78, might have been a possible relief.

Pregaming in that town, with the arena overlooking Manhattan wouldve been pretty neat. Still would’ve added extra driving time for a big chunk of the fan base though.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hate facepaint. Fun fact though, the very first time I met my in-laws, before I was even dating my wife, me and my friends were in full Kiss makeup on Halloween. 

I would be borderline amazed if I could get to a game before 6:30 lol. 

Location helps a TON.  I would never be able to pull that off if they were still playing in the Meadowlands.  After a game I'm usually home in 45 minutes...takes me about 45-50 to get there from the meet-up hotel.  The Meadowlands is more 1 hr and 10 minutes...and then of course the infamous tunnel trek.  Now I park in the $30 lot that's about a block away from the building...we're either in The Rock or in line to enter about 5 minutes after parking.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.