What would you Give up to get Jeff Carter?

Derlique

I wouldn't want him. Sure we need help on the RW but Carter and he is a OK/semi-talented player when healthy...but that's his problem he can hardly stay healthy. No thanks.

What is your barometer for judging players and since when is Carter an injury liability? He's been in the league 6 years prior to this year and his lowest GP is 62. The last 3 in descending: 80 GP, 74 GP, and 82. Thats not the mark of someone who's injury prone. He started this year injured, but that can happen (see Zajac, Travis).

Statistically, in the last 3 years, he's had the same amount of points as guys like Nash, Mike Richards, and Backstrom (2010) and in 2009 he was 2nd in the league in goals. That's quite a step up from OK/semi-talented lol. Take off the Devils blinders. He's a good player and we'd be better with him on this team.

As for him being a nuisance, you gotta take guys that request trades on a case by case basis. He and Richards were supposedly the core in Philly. He was comfortable and on a team that was contending and he got traded to arguably one of the worst places you could be in the entire sport and he started the year on the shelf. That is enough to bring anyone's morale down. I know I wouldnt be happy in that scenario.

I dont think they trade him anyway. I think he has had a rough start to the year and hasnt gotten acclimated to it yet. If we hear the same from him again around the deadline, then I think we may see him go, but its wayyyy too early.

What is your barometer for judging players and since when is Carter an injury liability? He's been in the league 6 years prior to this year and his lowest GP is 62. The last 3 in descending: 80 GP, 74 GP, and 82. Thats not the mark of someone who's injury prone. He started this year injured, but that can happen (see Zajac, Travis).

Statistically, in the last 3 years, he's had the same amount of points as guys like Nash, Mike Richards, and Backstrom (2010) and in 2009 he was 2nd in the league in goals. That's quite a step up from OK/semi-talented lol. Take off the Devils blinders. He's a good player and we'd be better with him on this team.

As for him being a nuisance, you gotta take guys that request trades on a case by case basis. He and Richards were supposedly the core in Philly. He was comfortable and on a team that was contending and he got traded to arguably one of the worst places you could be in the entire sport and he started the year on the shelf. That is enough to bring anyone's morale down. I know I wouldnt be happy in that scenario.

I dont think they trade him anyway. I think he has had a rough start to the year and hasnt gotten acclimated to it yet. If we hear the same from him again around the deadline, then I think we may see him go, but its wayyyy too early.

Not only that but he had just signed a long term deal with Philly assuming he was going to play out his career there. I guess that's why so many players push for that NTC.

Anyway on topic I'd do Zajac + Tedenby for Carter. Maybe add a 2nd or 3rd if we had to.

Not only that but he had just signed a long term deal with Philly assuming he was going to play out his career there. I guess that's why so many players push for that NTC.

Anyway on topic I'd do Zajac + Tedenby for Carter. Maybe add a 2nd or 3rd if we had to.

Why don't you just trade Parise for him while you're at it. Trade Zajac? Are you nuts? He's our best true center, he's great in all 3 zones and has always had great chemistry playing on the top unit with Parise. Why in the world would you trade him? I know Henrique has looked good and Elias has improved at faceoffs, but if we trade Zajac and Henrique turns out to not be a #1 type center, wtf do we do then? Elias isn't going to play forever, so who's left if Henrique and JJ don't pan out as #1 centers, which they have never been said to have the potential for anyways.

Why don't you just trade Parise for him while you're at it. Trade Zajac? Are you nuts? He's our best true center, he's great in all 3 zones and has always had great chemistry playing on the top unit with Parise. Why in the world would you trade him? I know Henrique has looked good and Elias has improved at faceoffs, but if we trade Zajac and Henrique turns out to not be a #1 type center, wtf do we do then? Elias isn't going to play forever, so who's left if Henrique and JJ don't pan out as #1 centers, which they have never been said to have the potential for anyways.

Carter would be our #1 center if we had him. I think that Carter would be good with Kovy. We could have two #1 lines that could look like this:

Parise-Henrique-Clarkson

Kovy-J. Carter-Palmeiri (or whoever)

And we'd still have Elias, Josefson, and R. Carter.

I just don't see Henrique not panning out. He's been very consistent so far. There's no reason to think he'll fizzle out. I guess it's too early to tell but he's looked absolutely amazing on the first line.

I like Zajac but we really need someone to get Kovy scoring 30-40 goals again. He and Zajac had some chemistry but not enough. I believe Carter would work very well with Kovy. Henrique has already shown that he can play with Parise. Parise also had great chemistry with Zajac but you gotta give to get.

For me, I don't see Carter as a center though. He didn't play a whole lot at center for Philly and he's not the playmaking type, so what would make you think he could be a playmaker for Kovy? If anything, he'd be better suited to be a RW. We need right handed RW and not another finisher like Zach and Kovy. We need playmaking for them. Getting Zajac back will help us there, and I just don't see why Carter would be better than him as the #1 center for us. He's got a contract that's long and will overpay him towards the end, while Zajac may be had for much less when the time comes for that.

On top of that, I think moving Zajac for a center for Kovy would show a lack of commitment to Parise and would be a big influence on his decision to stay with us or not. I think if we move Zajac, Parise is a goner, so really you're giving up Parise as well and I don't see that doing us much good.

As for Henrique, I think he's looked great and I believe that he will pan out, but what if we're wrong? What if he turns out like Gionta after his one great season or like Setoguchi in SJ? That's too big a gamble for me when playmaking centers come at such a premium in the NHL. Especially one that can play such a solid two way game that Zajac seemingly can night in and night out.

Edited by ATLL765

Wouldn't take him for free. The dude is a partier and has no drive to excel on the ice other than on his talent alone. I think he puts more effort in scoring off the ice than on it. I have two good friends who have seen him in action. I'll pass.

Wouldn't take him for free. The dude is a partier and has no drive to excel on the ice other than on his talent alone. I think he puts more effort in scoring off the ice than on it. I have two good friends who have seen him in action. I'll pass.

I wouldn't worry too much about partying. I have some connections to a lot of NHL players from the Ottawa area, and no one was a bigger partier than Claude Giroux on that Flyers team. I think anyone in the league would take him too And he lived with Briere last year, who is recently single. He partied it up like crazy as well.

So many guys in the league who are rich, single, and famous are going to have some fun. Not saying that the Devils should try and trade for him, but I doubt that is the issue unless it is really affecting his performance.