Parise wants a Stanley Cup and has to decide if it will be with NJ

Rock

Really? It's debatable. You can never tell. Look at Long Island ... a good future never comes to fruition.

The difference is that we didn't even talk about players who are already here who are pretty good, like Zajac, Tallinder, Fayne, Greene, Volchenkov, and even Elias. The Islanders have been horribly mismanaged for 15 years and have always failed to have or maintain this sort of depth.

I do agree with the comment that when a player like Parise signs, the team that gets him has Stanley Cup aspirations ... he'll be paid handsomely to help make a team a contender.

I get the feeling that Parise would love the excitement of getting a new start somehere else.

Good for him, but the more I look at the league, the more I'm not sure I see a home for him at the price range he's probably looking for.

Edited by Triumph

Good for him, but the more I look at the league, the more I'm not sure I see a home for him at the price range he's probably looking for.

Agreed. And this has been my main concern for a few years now. Zach Parise is a type of player anyone would want on their team. But for $8 million? I don't think so. And you know there will be a bunch of teams that will probably getting in a large bidding war for him. If he wants to win, taking the highest # won't be his best option either.

I just can't see Parise ever reaching his 2008-2009 season statistics again really.

If Parise's primary focus is a championship, then I see two possible paths for him:

Path A) Be Michael Jordan. Stay in one place and make that team a title contender.

Path B) Be LeBron James. Take your talents to a team already stacked and be yet another piece in a team everyone hates.

Be like Mike, Zach. Be like Mike. (Without the gambling problem.)

:pray:

We say that about a lot of top players, but they always end up getting what they want. You know what they say, it only takes one offer.

Yes, the Islanders have been mismanaged. Although not nearly as badly, I think you could argue that the Devils haven't been managed that well over the past few seasons.

Devils are 1 top tier defenseman short of being a contender. A top right wing would be a big bonus. These are the two weaknesses I think we have. We have plenty of scoring forwards enough to roll four lines.

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Kovy-Josefson-Palmieri

Parise-Zajac-Henrique

Tedenby-Carter-Clarkson

On defense:

Volchenkov-Salvador

Greene-Larsson

Fayne-Tallinder

I'd love to see us getting a top defenseman for Salvador or Greene + prospect (except Merrill) + 2nd pick. I know its tough this early in the season, but soon enough we'll know the pretenders.

Personally, the last thing Parise needs to do is show his displeasure about this team's performances in the playoffs, if anything he should show confidence that this team will go all the way with him leading. Hopefully, he hasn't been brainwashed by Langenbrunner.

SterioDesign - he has some accountability for that as well though. I dont think he's harboring any illusions either.

Gomez had to stay. He just was not ready to move on.

Rafalski had to leave - there was no more he could do in NJ. and there was an OBVIOUS alternative.

Neidermayer could have stayed and succeeded - but would it have been personally satisfying? I dont think he could have given himself true credit or more importantly felt that anyone else gave him true credit had he stayed. At best he'd have been another HoF dman churned out by the Devils system. Not truth but I can see how a guy would have trouble shaking that. This way he and Stevens are legends unto themselves and that's important when you're playing at THAT high a level.

So Zach... what can I say. You're nto at that high a level. You don't know for sure where your best fit is. There is nothing more you need to learn on this team. but there is no obvious place for you to grow.

Dude is stuck, no question. When you're stuck you have to move just so you knwo you CAN even if it doesn't all work out as you hoped.

He;s stuck - as great as he is he's stagnated and in fact back-stepped to being a shootout go to guy. Of COURSE he's way more than that and of course he's invaluable to the team and I'd give him the whole sheebang if he wanted just to keep him here. I can try to mock him ans say he doesn't have the gonads to make his place here - and it takes a HUGE set like Elias's. But it's not the truth -- it's just taunting to try to get my way.

Fact is and I think we all see it - there is no path for him ANYWHERE. The Devils aren't feeling right and there is no where better to go. Having Zajac back might bring back the space he needs to find his home here. Because you need that kind of thing -- an ally who's going to help get your head back in the game. Where are his other old hockey buddies now? THAT could be the dangerous team that provides a viable destination.

No one is just missing that one piece that is Zach Parise -- most teams just want him with no clue how he's going to be used. Ducks had a plan for Nieds, Wings had a plan Rafalski... Rangers... HAhaha had no plan - they never do and they always lie and tell you want you want to hear - and never enable you to succeed. Most teams dont, I'm just sayin'

Devils will do all they can to enable him... but it's not enough thus far in the season.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Agreed. And this has been my main concern for a few years now. Zach Parise is a type of player anyone would want on their team. But for $8 million? I don't think so. And you know there will be a bunch of teams that will probably getting in a large bidding war for him. If he wants to win, taking the highest # won't be his best option either.

I just can't see Parise ever reaching his 2008-2009 season statistics again really.

No, Parise's not particularly likely to hit 45 goals again. It is really difficult for players to maintain that many shots per game.

We say that about a lot of top players, but they always end up getting what they want. You know what they say, it only takes one offer.

Right, but will that offer come from a top team in a major market? Zach will have offers, there's no doubt, but when we're talking about winning Cups, will the Red Wings be willing to offer him a big deal? Chicago? Vancouver? San Jose? Washington? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh? I don't think any of these teams can really afford to give Parise the kind of contract he wants. And so then we start talking about lesser suitors, Montreal, Toronto, Minnesota, the Rangers - these teams can probably pay him what he wants, but are their teams good enough? Is it the kind of market he wants to play in?

Yes, the Islanders have been mismanaged. Although not nearly as badly, I think you could argue that the Devils haven't been managed that well over the past few seasons.

They've been managed just fine - the only major misstep is the Kovalchuk circumvention penalty. They've drafted really well over this last stretch.

If Parise's primary focus is a championship, then I see two possible paths for him:

Path A) Be Michael Jordan. Stay in one place and make that team a title contender.

Path B) Be LeBron James. Take your talents to a team already stacked and be yet another piece in a team everyone hates.

Be like Mike, Zach. Be like Mike. (Without the gambling problem.)

:pray:

Haha that is the best post I've seen hahaha

But he can see the talent now. Whether or not the Devils make or miss the playoffs has little bearing on the next 5 to 10 years, if that's the kind of contract we're talking about. But there's Josefson, Tedenby, Larsson, Henrique, etc. around - it's clearly not a franchise that's going nowhere.

from his coments about the location and "spending the rest of his career" somewhere it sure looks like he wants long term security/contract.

in a way we're not in a good position at all...

Lou won't be there for too long... then who's gonna be in charge?

Who's gonna be in net?

Does those prospects become real good NHLers

i mean we can look at our prospects and say... yeah they are good... but most team can say the same about their prospects really

Right, but will that offer come from a top team in a major market? Zach will have offers, there's no doubt, but when we're talking about winning Cups, will the Red Wings be willing to offer him a big deal? Chicago? Vancouver? San Jose? Washington? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh? I don't think any of these teams can really afford to give Parise the kind of contract he wants. And so then we start talking about lesser suitors, Montreal, Toronto, Minnesota, the Rangers - these teams can probably pay him what he wants, but are their teams good enough? Is it the kind of market he wants to play in?

The team that can afford to pay Parise and looks like it's going the right way? L.A. He's got his buddy Jack Johnson there. There are certainly good players both on offense and defense. They have the room. So does Detroit.

In the end, I think this comes down to 4 teams: LA, Detroit, NYR and the Devils. Maybe someone like the Islanders or Minny or Montreal or whatever throws a ridiculous offer at him - I don't think he's going wherever the money's the highest. If anything, this is a Paul Martin situation by then. He'll have plenty of offers to good destinations - if he's made up his mind to leave, then the Devils aren't going to change it.

The Devils will certainly get outbid - likely by all of them, but I'm not sure it will be by that much. For Parise to stay, he's going to have to WANT to stay - for real. I think there's enough smoke out there that means the fire burns for him to move on if he gets a good deal from a good team.

I would imagine that every team offers him the Brad Richards contract in some capacity.

Edited by sundstrom

This is such a non-story right now and everyone wants to make it a story again. He can't even sign an extension for another six weeks. The next drop-dead date is probably a couple weeks after the window re-opens on January 1. If he isn't signed the next couple weeks after that it's obvious he's going UFA.

If he goes UFA that doesn't mean he's gone (everyone will of course assume he's gone and want to trade him for 50 cents on the dollar) but with all the opportunities the Devils have had to sign him it wouldn't bode well.

And yes I do think the future of the team will factor in, Zach's a competitior and wants to win. It might not be the decising factor but it could certainly be a tiebreaker if it's close.

LA has the room, but it will be a tight squeeze. Right now they're at the cap, but they have some contracts coming off the books. They weren't able to get it done with Kovalchuk.

Detroit has the room, but they desperately need defensemen and not forwards. Also, Zach would have to ask himself, is this a team that's really going places if Lidstrom retires? (And the answer is, yeah, kinda, but that's because of their forwards and forward prospects.)

And NYR we already know all the issues.

Edited by Triumph

LA has the room, but it will be a tight squeeze. Right now they're at the cap, but they have some contracts coming off the books. They weren't able to get it done with Kovalchuk.

Detroit has the room, but they desperately need defensemen and not forwards. Also, Zach would have to ask himself, is this a team that's really going places if Lidstrom retires? (And the answer is, yeah, kinda, but that's because of their forwards and forward prospects.)

And NYR we already know all the issues.

I think LA will move mountains to get Zach, they weren't willing to do that with Kovy and it cost them, they've been looking for a LW ever since. It'd really chap my hyde if the Kings got him after all the nonsense that happened last year with them, and they're a real threat.

yea even if you say the Kings are too close to the cap, all they have to do, is offer a trade. if LA can eventually afford the contract, all they have to do is contact NJ. Obviously i dont want that to happen, but its still always possible

yea even if you say the Kings are too close to the cap, all they have to do, is offer a trade. if LA can eventually afford the contract, all they have to do is contact NJ. Obviously i dont want that to happen, but its still always possible

parise saying he wants to contend for the cup is as predictable as saying i want to win the lotto...the devils might be in it in the next few just as much as other teams minus a healthy pitt's...if he wanted he would take a smaller deal with them....he's not preforming at a lvl at which demands will most likely be...locking up him into a long term deal at a large cap hit isn't a good idea