GDT: Islanders @ NJ Devils 1PM 11/26/11

newarkdev01

I disagree. What happens if a player falls down and on his way to break his fall, he swipes the puck in with his glove, should that count? I don't think the rule cares about intent or not.

If the player falls on the puck and it hits their glove and goes in, then yeah I say that's a goal. Distinct motion implies that there was intent. Why would you be around the net "distinctly kicking" at nothing? Yeah, the puck was around his skate and his skate turned. His stick was also there and he was also falling backwards. My opinion is that at very best, the play was extremely borderline, in which case video judges should defer to the on-ice ruling. Naturally, they didn't. Now, they're backing up their decision by saying that the puck was "propelled in by the skate"? Since when is that in the rule book? Scoring off the skate is perfectly allowed, and this explanation is not good enough for me. The NHL needs to show that they understand their own rule book, because after this and the Briere stop from earlier this season, I'm beginning to doubt that they do.

I seriously can not believe how incredibly pathetic Kovalchucks passing skills are. I bet nobody is ignoring my NEGATIVE posts on his erratic play now. He just cost us a game in my opinion we NEEDED to have. The entire league is way to close this year. EVERY point matters. The fact we didn't go 6 points for 6 points against these pathetic teams is inexcusable. The Devils scored a total of 5 goals vs. the 3 worst teams in 3 games. Congrats, our team is awesome. And enough about Kovalchuck not fitting in on RW. He should be able to play fvcking goalie for the amount he gets paid. He just doesn't fit in with the New Jersey Devils all together; RW has nothing to do with it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=4366

Read the comments ... all the fans around the league agree that was a good goal and not a "distinct" kicking motion. One even points it out how the league decided not to quote the distinct part of the rule. They even point out a previous example that was allowed to stand and would be considered more of a motion than this.

Kovalchuk's passing skills? How about the entire team tonight, passing behind each other or to the skates. Thought Kovy had a good game besides that turn over, which was also a nice play by Grabner. Sick of our fans using him as the scapegoat for every game. And that was a real crap pass to Larsson on our first goal, right?

Edited by third man in
  • Like 2

I seriously can not believe how incredibly pathetic Kovalchucks passing skills are. I bet nobody is ignoring my NEGATIVE posts on his erratic play now. He just cost us a game in my opinion we NEEDED to have. The entire league is way to close this year. EVERY point matters. The fact we didn't go 6 points for 6 points against these pathetic teams is inexcusable. The Devils scored a total of 5 goals vs. the 3 worst teams in 3 games. Congrats, our team is awesome. And enough about Kovalchuck not fitting in on RW. He should be able to play fvcking goalie for the amount he gets paid. He just doesn't fit in with the New Jersey Devils all together; RW has nothing to do with it.

Explain January 1st through the end of the season last year then, when he put up 21 goals in 45 games.

Lemaire came back, we played 7 out of 8 games like terrible sh!t and then barely lost for the rest of the year. All the while Kovalchuk was sh!tting on people. Bad fit with the organization my ass, the organization is just using him wrong.

• Like 2

Kovalchuk's passing skills? How about the entire team tonight, passing behind each other or to the skates. Thought Kovy had a good game besides that turn over, which was also a nice play by Grabner. Sick of our fans using him as the scapegoat for every game. And that was a real crap pass to Larsson on our first goal, right?

Yeah, he set up both goals, I thought he played an otherwise impressive game on the RW, aside from that turnover.

Quite an unfortunate turnout, but I guess the score could have easily been 4 or 5-2 if it wasn't for Marty. He had a save tonight that looked like the best of the year so far.

• Like 1

It was a total of 4 goals in 3 games. They were awarded a phantom goal for winning the SO against Columbus. Eliminating such phantom goals, they've scored 52 goals in their 22 GP on the season. Yes, this is bad, but what else in new? And that's including better-than-expected performances from the likes of Zubrus, Sykora, Clarkson, and even Elias, really.

As for the call against Parise...what else is new? When do those calls EVER go the Devils' way?

For whoever was expecting the Devils to come away with six points easily from those two teams, I'm not sure what team you've been watching. The Devils aren't that much better than those teams, as was shown these past three games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It just baffles the mind how awful that pp is with or without Kovy. Oates made it work in Tampa, so with the talent they should be somewhat okay, but dayum.

And like it or not, my boy deserved to get booed despite his assitises. But it's been nearly 2 years and they still don't know how to utilize him.

Lemaire came back, we played 7 out of 8 games like terrible sh!t and then barely lost for the rest of the year. All the while Kovalchuk was sh!tting on people. Bad fit with the organization my ass, the organization is just using him wrong.

+1

There's a reason he's scored the 2nd most goals in the league since 05/06.. Even after playing on a sh!tty offensively devs team for 18 months.

If you're not gonna build your team around making your $100M sniper produce, then why even bother signing him. He needs to play LW, and he needs a talented center on his line.

• Like 1

Kovalchuk's Thanksgiving Video goes down as one of my favorite moments as a fan. Totally hilarious and awful timing.

Really would have been hilarious without the tease. I guess the upside is that they somehow won 2 out of these 3 games. :lol:

Grabner could have scored a season's worth of goals this afternoon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=4366

Read the comments ... all the fans around the league agree that was a good goal and not a "distinct" kicking motion. One even points it out how the league decided not to quote the distinct part of the rule. They even point out a previous example that was allowed to stand and would be considered more of a motion than this.

The league said in it's explanation that Parise "propelled the puck into the net with his skate". The rule says that "any goal caused by a distinct kicking motion will not count". Nowhere in it's explanation of why the goal was waved off does the league even use the words "distinct kicking motion". This stupid league has NEVER been able to interpret it's own rules right, and this is just another case of it today. fvck those morons in Toronto. Absolute fvcking clowns.

You a tard?

If you want to bitch about Kovy, bitch about his lack of scoring and his turnovers, because he is a great passer.

Whoever coordinates replay in the arena didn't think it was a goal either, because once they went to review there was a replay embargo.

sh!t happens, that one is coming back most of the time, not to mention Parise was close enough to Montoya to give him a big ol hug. It never should have come to that in the first place and wouldn't if not for whatever the fvck that was that Kovy did. I'm surprised they even rallied anything together after that disaster and then his Langs-like performance after eating a stick

Let's apply the NHL's ruling to this goal scored yesterday. "[Player] used his right skate to propel the puck into the net." In this case it was the left skate, but observe how the puck comes across the ice east-to-west and his "propelled" towards the net by MacArthur turning his skate and pushing forward. The puck is propelled directly into the goal off of the skate. Now watch Parise's goal again. He turns his skate leans forward slightly (due to losing balance) and propels the puck in the net. Despite the play being ruled a good goal on the ice, the distinction was apparently clear enough to overturn this call and take the goal back. Nice consistent rulings, NHL. Tools.

Whoever coordinates replay in the arena didn't think it was a goal either, because once they went to review there was a replay embargo.

sh!t happens, that one is coming back most of the time, not to mention Parise was close enough to Montoya to give him a big ol hug. It never should have come to that in the first place and wouldn't if not for whatever the fvck that was that Kovy did. I'm surprised they even rallied anything together after that disaster and then his Langs-like performance after eating a stick

How is that relevant? If anything, that supports the fact that Parise was leaned on and lost his balance and in no way made a distinct kicking motion at the puck. I disagree that that comes back "most of the time". I think for a lot of other teams, that's called a good goal.

How is that relevant? If anything, that supports the fact that Parise was leaned on and lost his balance and in no way made a distinct kicking motion at the puck. I disagree that that comes back "most of the time". I think for a lot of other teams, that's called a good goal.

Believe in conspiracy if you want. Devils fans are great at it. It's a sh!t break he didn't get his stick on it. But he was also a foot from the net. Doesn't give you much of a chance to

The league said in it's explanation that Parise "propelled the puck into the net with his skate". The rule says that "any goal caused by a distinct kicking motion will not count". Nowhere in it's explanation of why the goal was waved off does the league even use the words "distinct kicking motion". This stupid league has NEVER been able to interpret it's own rules right, and this is just another case of it today. fvck those morons in Toronto. Absolute fvcking clowns.

This is just like when they allowed the Briere shootout goal and basically claimed "In slow motion he clearly stops the puck and violates the rules, but we allowed the goal because you have to look at the play in real time and it was close".. Why do we have video replay if you're looking at it in real time like the on-ice official?!?!?

The league continues to dance around its own rules, contradicting itself numerous times along the way.. And somehow we always seem to be the ones getting screwed.. I really don't want to play the "The League hates us and wants us to lose" card but the reviews the past 2 seasons have been very shady.. We seem to always lose when it's a close call, despite having clear evidence from previous calls to back ourselves up

This is getting ridiculous