24/7 Rangers Flyers

Revan

Couple all the above with all the reality shows, which I despise, about Jersey and with how many movies and TV series that have been set in and starred New Jersey in the last 15 years, I think the country has damn good idea about where NJ is and that we are nationally known!

That has nothing to do with ratings, though. NJ is lumped into NYC/Philadelphia ratings markets - neither of which will care all that much about a Devils WC unless the Rangers or Flyers are involved.

I still contend there's only a handful of ways we're ever involved:

a) Next year, if we finish this year strong, re-sign Parise, and Marty signs a one-year contract with the Devils and next season essentially becomes a Martin Brodeur Retirement Tour season.

b) If the NHL decides they want to double up on the Winter Classic by playing two games - then you can do Devils/Isles (or Devils/Blackhawks, or another midwest team) in the afternoon and Rangers/West Coast Team in the evening, all from SnoopyField. That's probably the only way you can have a Winter Classic in the NYC area without Devils and Isles ownership pitching a fit.

Unfortunately, I feel like a Rangers/whoever WC at SnoopyField leaving the Devils out entirely is more likely than option b. It'd be a shame for so many reasons, chief of which being the blatant lack of respect that would be shown by putting a WC within the boundaries of NJ without having the NJ team involved, but it'll all be about the ratings for NHL/NBC, and let's face it - we aren't drawing national ratings by ourselves.

Even option b above would be an obvious placation of Devils/Isles ownership that the NHL probably wouldn't expect to draw great numbers - it's just something they would do for the "right" to have the Rangers and Kings or Blackhawks or whoever in prime time.

Edited by thelastonealive

That's where your fandom starts to comes into question. Won't watch the SCF because the Rangers are playing for the Cup? WTF?

If the Rangers reach the finals someday, I'm definitely going to watch and root HARD for the opposition.

If some new conference format made a Rangers - Flyers matchup possible in the SCF and the two teams met, I would strongly consider not watching the final, because a series like that is a loss for us either way and I know I'm going to watch one of those teams hoist the Cup, which would probably make me puke. :P

If anyone is hypocritical here, it's the people who, despite disliking the Rangers/Flyers and bashing them on other occasions are all going crazy because a group of Devils fans doesn't want to spend several hours watching how Jagirl prepares for the game or what Avery ate for dinner. What's so strange about it? I like hockey, I like the NHL and it's interesting to see some behind-the-scenes stuff on people I LIKE (either beacuse they play for a team I like or simply because they are NHLers who did nothing in the past to make me dislike them). I very much dislike those two teams, so I have no interest in watching them.

And, for the record, I'm a Devils fan first, THEN a hockey fan.

The NHL doesn't want the Devils on TV they are an embarrassment to the league, inconsistent play and financial problems owing money, paying rent and potential bankruptcy.

Nice provocation. The Devils' lack of presence on national TV and promotion by the NHL doesn't really have much to do with their results or their financial situation. How do the team's finances matter to some random people watching the game on NBC? Talking results? The Devils were a top team for years and they still couldn't get much coverage, while some teams got their time on air despite sucking, solely because of their location or age. It's about the club not being very popular across the country (or even in its own metro area), that's all. Thus, we have very few (if any) games on national TV and very little chance of playing in a WC.

Embarrasment to the league? LOL. The Oilers and Islanders just called, they want their title back.

Just watched the Alumni game and they had Al Trautwig and Dave Maloney on the ice with Dano in the studio. They asked Dano if watching it made him want to get back out there and he said yea and that he hopes the Devils get a Winter Classic so he can play. They laughed at him...

fvck the god damn Rags!!

Is there any sort of process for who's playing the winter classic, or do they just announce it at the start of the season?

I'm betting that there isn't another east coast team in the classic for at least a year. Or rather, the game will be on the west coast... there may be an east coast team, but it's going to be hosted in the midwest or the west coast.

I highly doubt it's on the west coast. Remember, the game's usually on Jan 1st, and is a daytime game. So a 1 PM start is a 10 AM start in LA.

I think next year's in Detroit (well, Ann Arbor) at the Big House. No way the NHL can resist the temptation to try to break the attendance record at a place that can hold 100,000+.

Yea, well... a 3 pm pacific coast time start would be 6 pm eastern...

(which, I just realized, would break up the local news. Damn.)

Well, there's nothing to say that they couldn't start it at 5pm. *shrug*

But yea, Detroit or Chicago would be more likely. I'd say Toronto too, but that's Canada and we know that's not gonna happen.

Anyway, I don't consider Chicago or Detroit to be east coast cities, so same difference.

Might be nice to see a game in St. Louis... if they can figure out how to manage the ice situation (although that doesn't seem to be a problem... it has been and is going to be in the 50's all weekend here and in Philly).

The NHL mentioned Colorado, Minnesota, and St. Louis as future locations. The Capitals were also promised a WC game in DC within 3 years when they went to Pittsburgh. 24/7 basically dictatates that the match-up be a division match but amongst different markets. Devils-Rangers, Devils-Flyers, Rangers-Islanders might be full of hate but NBC remembers the ratings bath FOX took in 2000 with the Mets-Yankees Subway series when only New York watched and the rest of the US boycotted the series. With Minnesota having a good year that now makes them viable.

Time-wise the big slot the NHL wants to avoid is the Rose Bowl at 5 p.m. EST since it always does big ratings even among non-sports fans because of the "event".

My guess is next year will either be in Washington (Caps v. Pittsburgh @ Nationals Park/FedEx Field) or in Minnesota (Wild v. Chicago/Detroit @ Target Field/U-Minn. Stadium).

Too bad the technology and forward thinking for a Winter Classic wasn't around in the 1990's because I can guarantee you that you would have seen Detroit-Colorado @ old Mile High and/or Tiger Stadium, LA-Pittsburgh @ Three Rivers, Rangers-take your pick @ Yankee Stadium.

Probably the "BEST" 24/7 rivalry would be Bruins-Habs but unfortunatly NBC doesn't get ratings points from Canada just like CBC doesn't get anything from the US when it comes to the Heritage Classic.

Edited by mdsieve

Ah! Good point regarding the Rose Bowl. I'd completely forgotten about that.

I doubt Minnesota gets a game, because as competitive as they have been they don't have any drawing power. They don't have any star players really, their success comes from the Lemare team play school. (And besides, their rather quickly regressing to become an average team, with the number of injuries that they've been racking up recently).

I wouldn't mind seeing a Flames vs. Oilers matchup either, but... yea, not gonna happen.

Ah! Good point regarding the Rose Bowl. I'd completely forgotten about that.

I doubt Minnesota gets a game, because as competitive as they have been they don't have any drawing power. They don't have any star players really, their success comes from the Lemare team play school. (And besides, their rather quickly regressing to become an average team, with the number of injuries that they've been racking up recently).

I wouldn't mind seeing a Flames vs. Oilers matchup either, but... yea, not gonna happen.

Heritage Classic = CBC/all-Canada driven. Its taken a year-off this season because Edmonton and Calgary have already had the game, Vancouver has a wet climate, Toronto doesn't have a large enough outdoor stadium, and Montreal was the visitor for both Alberta games. Winnipeg has a brand-new CFL stadium for the Blue Bombers opening next year so one of the least kept secrets around is that in February 2013 the Heritage Classic will return as Toronto @ Winnipeg.

i like to guess rangers red wings cause both classic teams @ the new yankee stadium

i get the point about a rivalry match up otherwise after this season, blues / wings

otherwise i like leafs vs habs

it seems like last years team gets a second go

i like to guess rangers red wings cause both classic teams @ the new yankee stadium

i get the point about a rivalry match up otherwise after this season, blues / wings

otherwise i like leafs vs habs

it seems like last years team gets a second go

The pinstripe bowl will keep the NHL out of yankee stadium for a while though.

I really hope the Flyers own these fools. The amount of trash I'm hearing from Rangers fans is stressing me out. They're worse than Jets fans if thats even fvcking possible. I know the Rangers winning wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen considering the Devils are closer to the Flyers in the standing but I really just can't take it anymore. The Rangers need to go on a 4 game losing streak in order to bring everyone back down to reality.

I hope the flyers stomp the living sh!t out of the Rags. Forget standings until tonight. I just want the Rangers to sweat this out a little bit.

It still bothers me that its the same teams over and over and over. It kind of ruins it and we are only 5 years into it.

Next year my guess is itll be Flyers Pens. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01