Latest on realignment

Z-Man

And if the United States of America were just labeled as "Nation between 2nd largest Ocean, largest Ocean, Big Lakes and Curvy Looking River" instead of some obscure Italian cartographer we'd all have a much easier time with people who don't follow geography closely to find it on a map.

That's much different. Geography requires naming - in fact, it's better to be unique when naming a geographical region/area/what have you since that precludes it from being confused with other similarly named things. Anyone who's ever to been to Atlanta can attest to this.

But in the three other major team sports, the divisions are laid out in relation to one another, because that makes sense - if I don't know for sure what division a team is in, I can probably guess. If it's a random name, I would have no idea.

Edited by Triumph

There's no way they would ever be able to split up the Pens and Flyers, and it wouldn't make much sense to move them away from all their other natural rivals anyway. It sounds more like wishful thinking to make our division 'easier'

you're reading too much into my words...

No. I have no dog in that fight. I dont even buy the argument that a division is weaker or stronger, as everything is cyclical.

Was not PIT & PHI split previously...

I was simply discussing the potential future moves relative to FLA/TAM. Heck maybe FLA will fold first...

At this point, I don't think naming the conferences after Gretzky, Howe, Orr and Lemieux is actually too far-fetched an idea. But, then again, who really knows?

I'd prefer that to the current alternative (found this on HF):

Sportsnet said last night the NHL ideally would like to sell sponsorship for each.

So instead of worrying about whether the 'conference' is going to be named after Gretzky or Lester Patrick, we might be playing for the Geico Conference Championship next year :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: No link so the poster there could have been pranking everyone, but I really wouldn't be shocked if the league was this goofy.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Parity won't let that happen. Even if I think Lou is slightly overrated these days, with his scouting department it is near impossible to keep them out of the playoffs all the long.

I get what you're saying, Jason, but only two teams from each conference get into the playoffs. So I'll not what I said before.

Let's say the season ends with PITT 106 pts, PHI 103 pts, NJ 100pts and in another conference it ends with BOS 103 pts, BUF 98 pts, Buffalo gets into the playoffs even though Jersey has more points.

Yeah because i started watching hockey when Ovechkin and Crosby entered the league. Good one..and its funny because Triumph probably didnt even know the NHL existed prior to 1995 anyway.

Playoff series dont mean you are big rivals otherwise our biggest rival would be the Hurricanes. Ask any pens fan if they ever considered the Caps a huge rival, dont just look up that they played each other in the postseason and conclude they must be! Thats my point, but dont bother reading any of the posts, just respond with some childish sarcasm...

Of the many wrong things said (by multiple people) in this thread this is the worst imo.

Playoff series are where rivalries are born. The canes may not be top 2 on any devils fans list of rivals, but I'm sure it's on many fans top 5. Maybe I just don't understand your definition of rivalry.

I'd like the old name's coming back, at least give a bone to the older fan since it feels like it's getting less and less like the game used to be(I still have no clue why a tie is such a abd thing). I wouldn't be upset with Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux cause I would just call it the Claude conference anyway. But I'd guess it will be some generic geographical naming convention.

Not thrilled with the new format but it fits the wants of most teams. Seemed getting each team in home and away was a big deal. I was happy with with not having to see every western team but I understand I'm in the minority.

That eats up a bunch of games so you have 2 choices. Play your division a bunch, or play a more balanced conference(I'm talking in the current sense, not next years sense) by taking away divisional games. I'd prefer the more balanced, but since you are seeing more teams that won't draw as much you want as many of the divisional games instead of the conference games(the thinking being divisional game is a better draw the a conference game which is a better draw then a conference game). I'm thinking draw, but from a western conference team they are thinking in terms of travel but it is similar logic.

If this is the schedule they are happy with, I don't see how you could have a different playoff format with such a unbalanced schedule. One bad team could have such a dramatic affect on all of a division that wild cards wouldn't really work.

After a few seasons, whatever rivalries that might not currently exist between divisional opponents will occur naturally by seeing them so much during the regular season and with a couple playoff series

I would have preferred just status quo with a team swapped here and there, but that is a devils centric view, travel is a big issue with too many teams as it is currently set up

Joe

That's much different. Geography requires naming - in fact, it's better to be unique when naming a geographical region/area/what have you since that precludes it from being confused with other similarly named things. Anyone who's ever to been to Atlanta can attest to this.

But in the three other major team sports, the divisions are laid out in relation to one another, because that makes sense - if I don't know for sure what division a team is in, I can probably guess. If it's a random name, I would have no idea.

Look, if you don't follow a sport carefully, you probably don't care what division they're in.

I'd prefer that to the current alternative (found this on HF):

Sportsnet said last night the NHL ideally would like to sell sponsorship for each.

So instead of worrying about whether the 'conference' is going to be named after Gretzky or Lester Patrick, we might be playing for the Geico Conference Championship next year :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: No link so the poster there could have been pranking everyone, but I really wouldn't be shocked if the league was this goofy.

:lol: My goodness, we'd be NASCAR on ice.

The geography can be just as confusing to a casual fan. For example...

NFC East- NY Giants, Washington, Philly,... Dallas?

NFC Went- San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, St Louis, which is east of Dallas?

I don't know what they would call the new divisions in the NHL, but geographical naming wouldn't help a casual fan who would have no idea why Florida and Tampa are in the, let's say, East Division but the Rangers aren't.

BTW...i'm 37, Son.

I'm a man! I'm 40!

Sorry, I kid. I agree with you on this fight, it was just too easy.

• Like 1