GDT: 12/10/11 Canadiens vs Devils

snartly

No, no, no, no... not Ranger, Flyer, and Islander fans.

I'm talking about fans that have to travel from afar... make a weekend out of it, stay in a hotel, and so on. The fans that actually make a big effort to get here. Canadian fans... Red Wings and Hawks fans... you know what I mean. God, not Ranger fans. It's easier for Ranger fans from Manhattan to get to the Rock than it is for some Devil fans in the burbs!

The Buffalo game was second place... they did lapse a little in the third but that was a great performance.

And how many non-division rival fans come in significant numbers? The Hab fans once a year, if we're playing them on a weekend, that's it. Our fans would **** a brick if we went with that idea for the one time a year non-division rival fans invade. Well, two if the Quebec trip becomes a pilgrimage.

Was a terrible day for me too. A ton of fvcking Habs fans watching the game with me :doh1:

yeah my facebook wall is nasty right now... got so many texts too all game long...

when Parise went for the penalty shot i thought..... oh mannn he's gonna get it obviously!!!! then they are going to win in SO... im gonna call them back one by one!!!

but yeah.........

To the dude that said I drive two hours...well it's true. But find a post within the last six months where I said that. Back your sh!t up. You can't.

OK, i found it for him. Pretty easy when you've mentioned it so often.

I drove two hours almost 30 games last year and the dude next door also goes to games but I wouldn't call that the norm

There's one....

Just to clear things up, I live about 50 minutes south of trenton, and about 2 hours south of newark. I went to multiple games for each team last year. I am literally ten minutes from wells fargo center, but I will never be a fan of Philly. Given those circumstances, going to a flyers-affiliated game to me would be hitting to close to home, even if it is just the ECHL. I saw the T-Devs as a way to finally break Devils hockey through to the rest of the state and I was in favor of the AC games. I just loved the thought of maybe one day having the state of new jersey as a whole embracing Devils hockey.

There's two....

As for the party, I didn't go. I live two hours away and went to about 30 games last year, but I just couldn't justify requesting off from work to drive two hours to go stand in line to buy used equipment I don't have any use for, or stand there and watch our pick. By not buying useless equipment and saving money on gas and toll, that's at least one more game I'll be able to afford to go to this season!

....and here's three!

You'll learn eventually, you're only a kid.

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 2

Ok, I've done this research for upper level ticket and lower level tickets. We're going with upper middle for this argument since that's where people first point the finger about ticket pricing. For us the average cost is $37.

Teams with higher center ice upper deck ticket prices: Boston ($70), Sabres ($50s), Flames ($92), Carolina ($52), Blackhawks ($70s), Avalanche ($51), Detroit ($50s), Oilers ($50), Kings ($40s), Wild ($48), Nashville ($40), Montreal ($40s), Islanders ($40s), Rangers ($39), Ottawa ($50-$60), Flyers ($81-$120, changes every row), Phoenix (Unclear but appears to be more), San Jose ($73), Pittsburgh ($90+), Washington ($90), Toronto ($75), Vancouver ($100), Winnipeg (Unclear, $50 maybe but near impossible to get), St. Louis ($42), Tampa Bay ($42).

Teams with lower center ice upper deck ticket prices: Anaheim ($34), Columbus ($34), Dallas ($25/$40), Florida ($24),

So for center ice upper level seating there are

25 teams with HIGHER prices.

4 teams with LOWER prices.

What this means: 86% of teams have higher ticket prices and 14% have lower ticket prices as for as the upper deck is concerned (center ice). This information is hard to come by for some teams but is believed to be accurate. Our balcony levels are competitively priced as well ($22 a ticket for season tickets behind the net on the one side, come on).

What this actually means: QUIT BITCHING ABOUT PRICES AND BEING CHEAP.

Edited by hurricane1091
  • Like 2

1. Brodeur is completely at fault coming so far out to try and grab that puck for that second goal. Just stay in your damn crease Marty.

2. Another tough game from the refs tonight. What was up the trips sykora and parise took in that final scramble leading up to the penalty shot..and no call. We seem to get hosed in the final min of games from refs/NHL a lot this season.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not Kovalchuk is the problem. Wait, before you say anything let's take a trip down memory lane.

1) Absolute disappointment so far. Sure he turned it on last year, but "almost singlehandedly getting the Devils to the post season" is still ALMOST. For the money he makes... We should've been there. Hey, he got the coin what has he really done?

2) His money has and will effect the team for years to come. Who are Devils going to get with all that money tied up with this guy? I think by the reactions of Parise and Brodeur, they're both DONE with this team and organization. I guess we'll see, but who and what are the Devils going to be able to get? IF they resign Parise, what else can they afford? So many issues are in need of addressing (RW, C, D, Goal)... I guess LW is okay... but there are a LOT of needs so what can you get for the money left.

3) Probably the only thing that isn't Kovalchuk's fault...I don't see a TEAM out there. I see individuals with the same j3ersey on in general. Sure some guys 'click', but not consistently. If you don't agree with me on anything else, you should at least see this. Not one solid game. Too many revolving 4th liners who don't get into the flow because they don't see ice time to contribute, and are thrown in for a few games here and there.

As per anyone coming to the Devils games... I think whoever plants their arse in a seat is welcome at a game. Regardless of the team they support, they are PAYING the Devils to watch a game. The money they spend goes to the Devils and given the state of the organization, I think every single person who pays counts. Would I want to see a bunch of Pens or Rags fans there, not really, but if helps the team... who am I to argue. At least it isn't a ghost town like Atlanta was last season even after they had section with all you could eat food!

• Like 1

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not Kovalchuk is the problem. Wait, before you say anything let's take a trip down memory lane.

1) Absolute disappointment so far. Sure he turned it on last year, but "almost singlehandedly getting the Devils to the post season" is still ALMOST. For the money he makes... We should've been there. Hey, he got the coin what has he really done?

2) His money has and will effect the team for years to come. Who are Devils going to get with all that money tied up with this guy? I think by the reactions of Parise and Brodeur, they're both DONE with this team and organization. I guess we'll see, but who and what are the Devils going to be able to get? IF they resign Parise, what else can they afford? So many issues are in need of addressing (RW, C, D, Goal)... I guess LW is okay... but there are a LOT of needs so what can you get for the money left.

3) Probably the only thing that isn't Kovalchuk's fault...I don't see a TEAM out there. I see individuals with the same j3ersey on in general. Sure some guys 'click', but not consistently. If you don't agree with me on anything else, you should at least see this. Not one solid game. Too many revolving 4th liners who don't get into the flow because they don't see ice time to contribute, and are thrown in for a few games here and there.

As per anyone coming to the Devils games... I think whoever plants their arse in a seat is welcome at a game. Regardless of the team they support, they are PAYING the Devils to watch a game. The money they spend goes to the Devils and given the state of the organization, I think every single person who pays counts. Would I want to see a bunch of Pens or Rags fans there, not really, but if helps the team... who am I to argue. At least it isn't a ghost town like Atlanta was last season even after they had section with all you could eat food!

Sorry, I strongly disagree.

This team has had construction problems since 2005.

Management was not prepared for a post-lockout world. Sure it was easy with 2.5 HOF Blue-liners on the defense.

The departure of Neids, Rafalski, Martin, and even Gomez changed the identity of this team.

The pre-kovalchuk years were about redifining that identity. I think LL realized the team needed a new identity by hiring Sutter, but slowly realized that this new post-lockout world didn't allow him to keep pace with the new NHL that relies on strong transition game , depth up the middle, and multidimensional blueline players. The era of 1-0 hockey was coming to a close. I don't think that LL was prepared to sacrifice the time it would take to truly adapt to an aggressive Sutter forecheck system - he wasn't willing to lose to learn. Hence - the diluting of that system as the season went on.

The role for aging lunchpail players like Pando, Madden, Brylin (as in too many of these guys) on contender teams was replaced by the need for youth, hunger, and determination (i.e. Zetterberg's, Malkin's, Toews's, Getzlaf's, etc.).

These season showed promise with the emergence of our own youth in Parise and Zajac, but still unsuccessful attempts to go back to the NJ Veteran well in underperforming players such as Rolston, Holik, Shanny, and even Pandolfo. Thankfully LL realized this before retaining players like Gio and Madden for ridiculous contracts.

The overachievement of the 08-09, 09-10 teams in the end only showed the blatant inability to play both sides of the ice through a strong transition game, PP, and a defense that could control a game. Sadly, these types of defenses - commonly built with a strong 2-way #1 Dman or two strong 1A's could only be built through a strong draft position (something NJ lacked until last year) or a risky trade (aka Pronger to PHI).

I think Lou realized that there was no real way to win with the old model, or at least that the defensive personnel were not available in the market to make it work past, at best, a stalemate position (strong regular season - but an inability to score enough or hold back a strong offense to go deep in the playoffs). The Jacques Lemaire model - works for a while but always seems to lack that certain chemistry or spark to succeed long term - the system tasks the players and requires them to play over the level of actual talent on the team.

I believe that Lou, seeing no feasible way to fix the D with top defenders through trade or UFA sought to attempt to meet the standards of the NEW NHL and outscore the opponent to give his goalie goal support - hence the Kovalchuck trade and contract.

The loss of Martin and his transition game (albeit limited) was hoped to be replaced by signing Volchenkov (the physical component), and Tallinder (a somewhat mobile defenseman). Unfortunately, these players had difficulty adjusting off the back as they were new. Both had their good stretches - by neither are leaders enough to be THE backbone of the defensive core.

There is obviously a gaping hole on the defensive - one that we all suspected might be addressed with the conspicuous White buy out and yet glaring lack of acquisition(s) to replace him - plus the unusual amount of capspace (which very well could be due to financial limitations) unusual to an NJ payroll.

Kovalchuk has NOT been the catalyst that everyone thought would give herald to a new electric NJ offense - but to simple lay FRANCHISE FAILURE at the feet of this one player and his contract is gross oversimplification of what has been developing in the evolution and transition of NJ Franchise hockey and system strategy. Lemaire HAD his chance - and was given one of the most prized tools to accomplish his goal - but his system - while somewhat effective, for whatever reason simply does not translate through 3 rounds of playoff success with THESE players in NHL 2000's - era.

Kovalchuk was a bold move and a plan to market this team as well. A genuine, electric, flashy, highlight reel, sexy-goal, scorer. Although it has not yet worked - time will tell on the deal. If you don't believe that - then tell me that the Kaberle trade was exceptional for MTL because he had 2 points today? Evaluation must be made accurately and thoroughly over time.

For the record, I don't like Kovalchuk and don't think he was the answer. However, I was HAPPY to see LL make a move in a different direction - remarkably showing an understanding for what was not working over the past 4-5 seasons.

An evolution is happening before our eyes - you can see it in Deboer's system. Whether or not these same players will be still here to execute it in a year remains to be seen. One thing is for sure - I don't see Pete Debo going anywhere anytime soon.

The only questions that truly remains are:

How long will this evolution take - and what sacrifices will both management and the paying fanbase itself be prepared to make to see it to fruition?

Edited by DevilinLA
  • Like 2

Teams with higher center ice upper deck ticket prices: Boston ($70), Sabres ($50s), Flames ($92), Carolina ($52), Blackhawks ($70s), Avalanche ($51), Detroit ($50s), Oilers ($50), Kings ($40s), Wild ($48), Nashville ($40), Montreal ($40s), Islanders ($40s), Rangers ($39), Ottawa ($50-$60), Flyers ($81-$120, changes every row), Phoenix (Unclear but appears to be more), San Jose ($73), Pittsburgh ($90+), Washington ($90), Toronto ($75), Vancouver ($100), Winnipeg (Unclear, $50 maybe but near impossible to get), St. Louis ($42), Tampa Bay ($42).

Those teams either sell out every game regardless, have BO prices cheaper than the ones you mentioned, have lower-bowl prices much cheaper than ours, have prices that are justified for the product on the ice(Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.) or all of the above. We don't have a great product nor do we sell out often to justify $45 in the upper deck for a regular season game to watch the Montreal Canadiens.

Ok, I've done this research for upper level ticket and lower level tickets. We're going with upper middle for this argument since that's where people first point the finger about ticket pricing. For us the average cost is $37.

Teams with lower center ice upper deck ticket prices: Anaheim ($34), Columbus ($34), Dallas ($25/$40), Florida ($24),

So for center ice upper level seating there are

25 teams with HIGHER prices.

4 teams with LOWER prices.

What this means: 86% of teams have higher ticket prices and 14% have lower ticket prices as for as the upper deck is concerned (center ice). This information is hard to come by for some teams but is believed to be accurate. Our balcony levels are competitively priced as well ($22 a ticket for season tickets behind the net on the one side, come on).

What this actually means: QUIT BITCHING ABOUT PRICES AND BEING CHEAP.

The Rangers do not have $39 center ice seats, not at box office price anyway. It's more like $60, same with their corners but they and most of the other teams you mentioned can get away with that type of gouging, we can't. You're ignoring the fact this game sells out other years and got 14 and change this year.

Besides, Center Ice uppers isn't the problem, it's the corners that get priced the same way, the mezz seats which started at $69 box office, and the lower corners. They didn't even fill the $22 season ticket area, so if they can't sell out seasons there you think people are going to pay $69 for a random weekend game?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yes devsman. I travel farther than you and thus Nd more of a diehard. Our tickets are more affordable than penguins, rangers, flyers tickets so quit complaining.

Thanks again Colin.

And yet you and your brother are the first ones to cry about how much jerseys cost.

I swear between all the crying you two do on this board and Devilsrule about the cost of jerseys, the two hour drive, how you lost the trenton devils, and how you two got shut out of your precious supporters section I feel obligated to mail you two a box of tissues and tampons for you to share.

As for the die hard fan part, there are plenty on here who know about how long I have supported the team, so I won't even start on that.

Like shooting fish in a barrel with you two.

• Like 2

DinLA: Hockey is the same as it has been. In one breath, you say that NJ had a hard time succeeding without Stevens and Niedermayer. Then you go on to say that the new NHL is about having top defensemen. I mean, what? You're saying the same thing. This 'New NHL' stuff has to go away - scoring rates are quite similar to the 'old NHL', and certainly aren't appreciably different. What wins hockey games is the same thing - getting shots on your opponent's net while preventing shots on your own. Which Kovalchuk doesn't help - he doesn't do either thing, really.

• Like 1

what i'd like to see

kovy zajac henrique

parise elias sykora

teddy zubrus clarkson

boulton carter palmeri

I'm hoping to see lines very similar to what you have here. I think Zajac is the perfect center to cover for some of the defensive lapses of his wings and I would really like to see Parise and Elias paired up for an extended period of time. The third line would chip in some goals and with Carter and Palmeri on the 4th line together, it's a little less useless than the sh!tfest we've been putting out there.

How about no, quinn. Dude clearly doesn't follow what I say most of the time. If he did, he'd know he looks dumb with these silly accusations.

Facts: I do two almost two hours away and I make the drive because I believe in New Jersey. I do think jerseys are overpriced and am not alone on this. Trenton Titans have horrible attendance and nothing's changed, we should of kept the team. I have been shut out of the supporters section, but we're working on incorporating pre-set dates and a link for people who are not season ticket holders to get into the section.

How often do I talk about these things honestly though? I am right about them though.

Edited by hurricane1091

i dont know exactly whats going on... i dont even live near NJ and i can't attend games but as far as price tickets from what i saw around the league they are not that expensive compared to other teams

also... if you support something then you shouldnt mind that something is a bit overpriced... its like buying from a local store instead of buying from a corporation like walmart, canadian tire or wtv... local stuff is more expensive cause they can't afford to go cheaper, and from all i know NJ is not doing too well in attendance and financially... so if you support them then i dont see why you'd be against their prices.

note: i know that the devils are a corporation and all, it was a metaphore

DinLA: Hockey is the same as it has been. In one breath, you say that NJ had a hard time succeeding without Stevens and Niedermayer. Then you go on to say that the new NHL is about having top defensemen. I mean, what? You're saying the same thing. This 'New NHL' stuff has to go away - scoring rates are quite similar to the 'old NHL', and certainly aren't appreciably different. What wins hockey games is the same thing - getting shots on your opponent's net while preventing shots on your own. Which Kovalchuk doesn't help - he doesn't do either thing, really.

I am simply saying is the post-salary cap world has augmented the necessity of having players who can provide a superb transition game from the back end while being able to prevent shots on net and hold down the blue line.

No archtype NHL player is more coveted in the "new NHL" and hard to find then a top defenceman who can do both.

This is not ground breaking news - but LL has been unable to acquire or draft these players - nor would have he been able to fit those championship teams within the cap.