Rolston leaves game with concussion

mmajeski06

Nothing has changed. The NHL and teams have finally decided to diagnose these injuries as concussions and are putting proper protocols in place. Up to last year, players would be returning heroically to play in the next game like Stevens against Tampa in 2003 and Crosby after the Winter Classic. We have seen how stupid that was.

Nothing has changed. The NHL and teams have finally decided to diagnose these injuries as concussions and are putting proper protocols in place. Up to last year, players would be returning heroically to play in the next game like Stevens against Tampa in 2003 and Crosby after the Winter Classic. We have seen how stupid that was.

Edited by sundstrom

Unbelievable. They need to seriously reconsider the padding the guys wear. It's too hard in the places you do the hitting with.

I agree. I think that they should start to restrict the size of elbow pads and shoulder pads, so that they're not as dangerous when they come into contact with another player's head. The issue is how do you reduce the size of the shoulder pads without reducing the overall size of the chest protector too much, so that you don't make it dangerous for a player who might get hit with a puck. Maybe they should have some big high density foam pads on top of elbow and shoulder pads, so that it can soften the blow to another player.

nvrmnd the stick to the eye is brutal to watch...but With 2:09 remaining in the third period, Pronger was crunched on the boards in his own end by the Coyotes’ Martin Hanzal. It was a routine, clean hit. But it may have a lasting impact on the Flyers’ season.

Pronger was hit from the side, but went into the glass face first. He bounced off the glass and immediately fell to his knees and was slow to get up again. Pronger eventually re-joined the play, made a pass, and exited the ice.

Edited by lazer

crosby, skinner, Giroux, Milan Michalek, Mueller, Schenn, pronger, letang, Niederreiter, Zbynek Michalek, pitkannen, miller, staal - nice team =-)

shenny`s rules doesn`t work

what kind of rules could Shanahan put so teammates dont run in each other causing concussion like Crosby, Giroux and Michalek?

what kind of rules could Shanahan put so teammates dont run in each other causing concussion like Crosby, Giroux and Michalek?

Shan put his rules for stoping of concussion`s epidemic(that is a reason). But this rule is problem for normal play, isn`t for concussion - in real situation it`s two different questions (in different situations) - that`s mean - nothing for he did that

in real i worry about Face of Hockey. i don`t wanna see figure skating

and i think - so much concussions - this is a progress of diagnostics - few years ago it was a just

- my head pain

- Don`t be a girlie, take your balls at lets get mf play

- ok i`ll do that

Shan put his rules for stoping of concussion`s epidemic(that is a reason). But this rule is problem for normal play, isn`t for concussion - in real situation it`s two different questions (in different situations) - that`s mean - nothing for he did that

in real i worry about Face of Hockey. i don`t wanna see figure skating

and i think - so much concussions - this is a progress of diagnostics - few years ago it was a just

- my head pain

- Don`t be a girlie, take your balls at lets get mf play

- ok i`ll do that

So you're slamming Shanny for not making a rule/changing the game so that accidents won't happen? For not making the game so that TEAMMATES don't accidentally skate into each other?

y-u-no-make-sense-.jpg

i talk about other think

shan made change

change for what

for "no concussion"

concussions are continue (by other reasons)

and i wanna ask one question - if concussions are continue and rule doesn`t work(becouse reasons of concussions are another) - whats for those ruls are?

thats rule like... like if flu epidemic in the city and for struggle with flu goverment turn off the street light - flu still in the city and people have problem with street walking (in our situation - guys cant play normal body-check game and hockey-game goes to looks like figure skating in future perspective with this rule

i hope i convey my idea normally why i do not like this rule

While I believe that the NHL is going in the right direction in dealing with concussions the past few seasons, it must be pointed out that Stevens coming back in that series, and the rest of the 2003 playoffs, basically led to us winning our third Cup. We likely would not have won it without him. While Stevens could have had severe long term effects from his decision to keep playing, at least something good came out of it. Just goes to show you how good, strong, and tough he really was.

While I believe that the NHL is going in the right direction in dealing with concussions the past few seasons, it must be pointed out that Stevens coming back in that series, and the rest of the 2003 playoffs, basically led to us winning our third Cup. We likely would not have won it without him. While Stevens could have had severe long term effects from his decision to keep playing, at least something good came out of it. Just goes to show you how good, strong, and tough he really was.

Stevens winning the Cup should not have to be pointed out or have a star next to it. The fact is he shouldn't have been playing and perhaps continuing to play ended his career. Now maybe that 3rd Cup to him is worth his career ending short. After all his career ending short was at over 40 when he had already was in the top 10 of games all-time. But was it worth Crosby playing 1 extra game if he never recovers? Would it be worth for Marc Savard if he came back too early 2-3 times. What about Kariya and Lindros? And it certainly might not be worth it for anyone who came back early if their are long-term affects that ruin people's lives after hockey.

I don't think it goes to show "how good, strong, and tough" Scott Stevens was. People have been playing hockey and other physical sports for years minutes, hours, and days after a concussion. It just shows how either dumb we have been, or how little we have known.

Stevens' career didn't end because of the concussion. It ended because of the lockout and his age. He obviously was affected the following season, and missed 1/2 the year and playoffs in 2004, but he will be the first to admit that the lockout made him realize he wouldn't miss playing when he retired, and he enjoyed being around his family.

Playing with a concussion, especially one that he had following the slapshot to the ear, is not easy. Is it stupid? Absolutely. But you have to give him some credit for doing what he felt was right, playing through the obvious pain and discomfort while competiting at such a high level so that the effects of the concussion were almost not noticable in route to his 3rd Cup. He was a professional athlete. They are all supercompetitive. There was no way he wasn't going to play if the decision was left up to him (which it shouldn't have been). If anyone, you have to blame the Devils organization and doctors for not forcing him to sit out. That is why I give him credit.

Stevens' career didn't end because of the concussion. It ended because of the lockout and his age. He obviously was affected the following season, and missed 1/2 the year and playoffs in 2004, but he will be the first to admit that the lockout made him realize he wouldn't miss playing when he retired, and he enjoyed being around his family.

+1

The pads should only be firm enough to prevent a player from getting hurt when he hits the ice. Nothing more. I like Puckrock's idea: Bring back the red line.

i like this idea too. in not only concussion question

before2005hockey was more interest(just for me), without run_and_shot methods

I'd like the NHL to go with bigger rinks (either international sized rinks, or something on that order), on top of softer pads. Not sure if that would stop the wave of concussions or not, but it should be something that is at least studied as it seems like it would open up the game more. However, it's likely a non-starter as NHL owners would throw a fit as they would lose premium seating in their areans to accomodate a bigger ice surface.

As far as the pads go, I agree with the post above. No need to have players using RoboCop's pads out there, and the goalie pads should be shrunk to 1985 sizes as well.