GDT: Rangers vs. Devils

snartly

What sucks too is that this game might set the tone for the rest of the Rangers rivalry this year. And if the Rags fans smell blood, it might get nasty at the Rock, just like it was in 2007/08 with them absolutely embarrasing us in our arena looking like MSG2.

exactly, i already have ranger fans blowing up my phone tonight which makes it soooo much more frustrating :argh:

:puke:

o ill be the first to say we are still playing good hockey (in our last 10 or so games). but im pissed we did not show up tonight. such a disappointment

It sucks because I honestly think they did show up ..they can't beat this team dude. They played just as hard as they did in Dallas and Montreal. They still can't turn that corner in this franchises history to beat the Rangers and its an awful fvcking feeling when you're a passionate fan.

Brodeur didn't give them a chance to win. He looked bad the whole game, and obviously couldn't make a big save all night. When it was still 1-0 he lets a weak wrister from the blue line get by anda it went of post. The first goal was a bad break. Foster should have had that puck and that tip went right on anisimovs stick. However, the second goal was pathetic. How does he let a backhand floater from that angle off the cross bar? Ahl goalies read plays better than that. And the third goal was terrible also. Foster had the pass, why is he getting beat clean like that? He gives opponents the glove side cuz he thinks he's got a great glove, but how many times have we seen him get beaten glove on a breakaway. So pathetic.

you have said it all perfectly. foster barely got a piece of it but he should have just deflected it out of the zone

ok well you know what i mean. when you're facing 20 shots, saving just 17 of them is nothing to brag about. especially when you are broadcasted on an hbo series. come on, you cant actually be saying that Marty was stellar tonight.

No, I'm clearly not and haven't said that. Just pointing out that Marty's career is not defined by high quantity save nights but high quality - it was just a small side point I was picking at.arty has won and lost many games with less than 20 shots and lower than a 900 save percentage.

It sucks because I honestly think they did show up ..they can't beat this team dude. They played just as hard as they did in Dallas and Montreal. They still can't turn that corner in this franchises history to beat the Rangers and its an awful fvcking feeling when you're a passionate fan.

ok yea you're right.. defensively, and including marty, we did not show up. it is sooooo frustrating losing to this team... ESPECIALLY WHEN THE FINAL SCORE IS 4-1 (even though it wasnt as bad as the score shows)

No, I'm clearly not and haven't said that. Just pointing out that Marty's career is not defined by high quantity save nights but high quality - it was just a small side point I was picking at.arty has won and lost many games with less than 20 shots and lower than a 900 save percentage.

ok so then will you agree that Marty did not show up as a great goalie tonight?

yo buddy i actually completely disagree. i feel like Kovy was literally like the "quarterback" the entire game tonight. he made good decisions for the most part and i feel like the entire team gave the puck to him when they wanted to get something set up or make something happen. i thought he played pretty strong

Agree with the QB statement. Dude I cant believe he didn't score tonight.

And I was laughed at here when I said Marty is old and slow.

Throes whatever bullsh!t stats or accomplishments you can dig up from years ago. That's the past and right now he is a big cause of a good number of losses now. Also now that he has a very average defense, you see how he really is without Stevens and company ybailing him out.

we're blaming marty because i honestly think we outplayed the rangers tonight. he let in one or two goals that should not have been let in. the guy faced 20 shots and let 3 in.

we had like 11 more sog than they did and played with a ton of energy. i was criticized for saying that marty is on the obvious downside of his career and now look, im saying the guy should not have even gotten the start tonight. what a disappointment, i am pissed

The game pretty much was as I expected. The Devils lost to a better team without their best player in the lineup.

With Patty in the lineup next time it should be closer.

Just wanted to take a moment and highlight a few of the worst offenders in the "stuff people say on this forum that piss everyone off" club. BS comments like these irritate me to no end. Let me clarify - I am disappointed in the way Brodeur played tonight. In fact, I was just talking about how we need to start Hedberg more. But there is no need to take this bad situation and turn it into a smug, self-serving remark like these. We all know that Brodeur is old and declining. Why are so many of you acting like you're some kind of hockey genius for "predicting" that he would have some bad games?

It's one thing to be frustrated that the team lost. Everybody on here is feeling that. It's another thing to "celebrate" that loss with posts like this. The team played well and lost. Marty wasn't great. These things happen. Take the loss and move on.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

We had a puck squeak over the goal line wide, an unlucky puck squirt through marty, two ripped shots off the post, all without our most all-around player...and... "they can't beat this team dude"?

It's so frustrating how a loss to the Rangers in December, after a 5-1 stretch, brings abot 8 bajillion "WE R DOOMED" posts.

"they can't beat this team dude" is pretty much justified by that Lundquist vs. Marty career record. its disgusting and repulsive to any Devils fan

And yeahh-- the Marty haters can all go get run over by a truck for all I care. They've been saying the same "Mister Softee!" sh!t since 2003. Now that he's getting up there in age and not playing the way he used to, they all puff their chests because they "TOTES CALLED THAT YO"

if you are referring to me, i have never hated marty before this season. and when i did shrug him off it was this year when i said, "yo, he's not the same we can't rely on him every game"... you cannot disagree with that like come onnnnnnnn

Edited by Onddeck

Let me ask you folks - if you could have picked this game or Niedernight to win - which one would you have?

EXACTLY

Nieds night was great, they fed from the emotion and took care of a gassed team on a cruel road trip.

You an't win all 82, and with this lineup you won't - nor should you expect "mistake free hockey" with this blue line.

Look at the Rangers blueline tonight. Anton Stralman, Stu Bickel (1st nhl game) and Tim Erixon. Half of the defense.

Really? Erixon, Bickel and Stralman? Yet, should the NYR have come in tonight and said "fvck it, we gotta expect mistakes and we can't win 'em all"?

Very frustrating game, but that's how Rangers games are nowadays. We obviously outplayed them by quite a wide margin, but Lundqvist always brings his absolutely best game against us and Brodeur hasn't been able to keep up with him (I think Lundqvist is now 21-5 against Brodeur). Also Rangers are hot and when teams are hot, they get bounces and this game was no exception. Rangers got bounces going their way both to score goals and to prevent goals.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most nights we'll lose to the Rangers, and 90% of that reasoning is because of Lundqvist.