GDT: Rangers vs. Devils

snartly

elias is our best forward yah just saying

points per game kovalchuk is higher (he miss 5 games)

We all know Kovalchuk is not the devils he is part of the devils want he brings is his offensive tool

And those who talks about his contract he is 6,666 per years (ovechkin is 9,999) so it not that high

I don't think anybody is seriously denying that Brodeur is declining. It's just that some people don't take as much pleasure in constantly pointing it out as others.

Am I happy about him declining? Of course not, I never said that.

However if it bothers you a lot to be reminded that he is then that is on you as it is a fact and with stats to prove it this season. That is like people getting upset with me or anyone saying that the rangers are ahead of us in the standings. None of us are happy about it but it is a fact. How you take it is up to you.

I've never seen more Rangers fans at a game, and I've never experienced them being that bad.. Up by me in 226/227 they were worse than Philly fans in Philly.. And Devils fans couldn't say anything they just kept shouting sh!t

I know Devils fans like to take the high road but honestly I would have preferred to punch him in the face

That's exactly why I can't go to the games anymore. I've been to MSG twice and the Rock 3 times. I'm 0-5 and have gotten kicked out of the two games at MSG. I'm a police officer in NJ and I can't get in trouble for going hulk on some ignorant Rangers fan. I could ruin my life and someone else's and its just stupid that I get even that worked up about it because apparently the Devils could care less. This has been going on for 5 years. Every game. Even the games we win against this team now don't feel like a win. It boils my blood so bad that I just cannot go to these Devils Rangers games because I'm afraid I'll get into a brawl due to the amount of Ranger fans that show up at our building. It's truly embarrassing and its a disgrace that the team moved to Newark. I fvcking hate Prudential Center.#27 retiring is the best thing that's happened to that building and although that's great and cool I want something cool to happen NOW.

sucks... im really pissed tonight! but godamnit Brodeur really killed us. He's not doing the big key saves anymore

it's a huge stretch but with a decent goalie making the big key saveswe could have a way better post season record... like seriously that Staal goal is still hurting... there's no way it should have went it... and seriously who knows maybe we could have won the cup that year, just like Boston like year, barely made it through first round but became hot after and won the cup.

but i mean its not his fault really, he did not out of the blue gave us a bad game, he gave us exactly what he's been giving us lately. So if i knew it, i'd expect the coaching staff to know it too!!!

Hedberg played really good against Dallas... then we played Montreal, i wanted Hedberg but we got Brodeur because well... its Montreal, so i can understand that... but we did not win because of Brodeur, we won cause we scored 5 goals. So its bs that he got the start today, Moose deserved it.

Really pissed, i feel for you guys... i dont mind losing to the Rangers as much as loosing to MTL but its still pissing me off the way it went down

I thought the Devils played quite well, but Lundqvist and the Rangers overall team commitment to blocking shots was the difference. Kovalchuk had a great game I thought. As to his turnovers, Kovalchuk is trying to make things happen. As a result he's going to make riskier passes to try and pressure the Defense. It adds another element to the NJ offence (something we've been complaining about missing for years it seems) and that Kovalchuk/Henrique/Parise line has been clicking as a result. I'd much rather have him try things like that than just resort to dump and chase (which is also basically turning the puck over, only in a less dangerous area).

Larsson also had a strong game I thought. I think Foster taking over his PP duties has either kicked his ass into gear or he's gotten more comfortable with the smaller workload.

Elephant in the room: Brodeur is a big problem this year. I really hope we don't look at the end of the year and see that Brodeur's play is what kept us out of the playoffs.

Among qualified goaltenders, he's 42 of 44 in save percentage

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/year/2012/seasontype/2

That was a disgraceful performance IMO. We threw that game, we gave it away. We gave 'em the friggin game. IMO that sucked.

You can't allow 10 shorthanded goals. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that. Unbelievable, 10SHG against. We might be going for an NHL record. It's absolutely pitful to perform like that. Pitful.

Playoffs? I just hope we can win a Rangers game.

I did not watch more than the first 5 mins of the game, but regardless I am not going to whine and moan that we lost. It appeara the devils showed up and played well as a team. They are working well together, which is better than in the start of the season.

That was a disgraceful performance IMO. We threw that game, we gave it away. We gave 'em the friggin game. IMO that sucked.

You can't allow 10 shorthanded goals. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that. Unbelievable, 10SHG against. We might be going for an NHL record. It's absolutely pitful to perform like that. Pitful.

Playoffs? I just hope we can win a Rangers game.

Sadly enough they're on pace. 22 SHG in 80GP is the record.

I've never seen more Rangers fans at a game, and I've never experienced them being that bad.. Up by me in 226/227 they were worse than Philly fans in Philly.. And Devils fans couldn't say anything they just kept shouting sh!t

I know Devils fans like to take the high road but honestly I would have preferred to punch him in the face

It might have actually been worse than Game 5 in 2008, the only other time the Ranger fan presence has truly been 50-50 at the arena. Probably because it was a 24/7 game and Rag fans couldn't wait to take over the arena for a game that was going to be highlighted on HBO :P

But also, I think the tiered pricing has hurt us this year...certainly the last two games. The attendance for a Habs weekend game was way down and it's no accident imo that more Ranger fans are coming in with the tickets more expensive for us (but still below the Rangers' own prices).

Am I happy about him declining? Of course not, I never said that.

Sure seems that way sometimes. Prodigy said it perfectly...you seem to think you had some profound insight and are now being proven correct now that Marty is truly playing like he's on the decline. I said in previous posts that it was impossible to predict what Marty would be this season. But yeah, at 39 and with his mileage, this isn't coming as a real surprise to anyone...we were all hoping for better, that he could build off his second half of last season, but clearly it hasn't happened.

What makes you annoying about this one particular topic is, like I've said, you make it sound like this kind of play has been the norm for several seasons now, and that somehow no one else has been able to see it except for you. I've pointed out in previous posts to you how, up until last season's first half, Marty's numbers have been as good or better than his career norms in recent seasons, despite facing MORE shots behind less-talented defenses, but you blow that off like none of that matters, and retort with statements like "Well, he hasn't played as well against the Rangers," like you need to find some kind of measuring stick, no matter how flawed, to prove that Marty's really been such a zilch for years now. Like beating the Rangers is the be all-end all of the Devils' world and the only thing that should count. Like his recent record against the Rangers negates everything else he did in the last five years or so.

Now I see you're even trying to negate what Marty's done against the Rangers in his prime, like he was just along for the ride. I am at a complete loss why you feel like the need to constantly downplay Marty's contributions to this franchise, but I've given up trying to figure that out, because you obviously have some issue with the guy that I'll never understand. When he was successful, it was all about the defense in front of him; now that he's struggling, it's because he's being exposed now that "Stevens and company" are gone, though he still played well after they had moved on. Whatever.

However if it bothers you a lot to be reminded that he is then that is on you as it is a fact and with stats to prove it this season. That is like people getting upset with me or anyone saying that the rangers are ahead of us in the standings. None of us are happy about it but it is a fact. How you take it is up to you.

Funny, NOW it's OK to use stats to back up YOUR point, but when others pointed out how the stats DIDN'T back up your whole "declining for years" argument, those stats didn't matter.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I found this exchange between Chico and Cangialosi particularly disturbing...

CHICO: "Next time the Rangers sell out MSG, we oughta drop a bomb on the building. A giant bomb. Just level the whole place. Kill everyone inside."

CANGIALOSI: "Chico...you're scaring me."

CHICO (MENACINGLY): "I'm starting to doubt your loyalty, Steve. Something you wanna share with me, ya little bitch?"

• Like 1

CHICO: "Next time the Rangers sell out MSG, we oughta drop a bomb on the building. A giant bomb. Just level the whole place. Kill everyone inside."

CHICO (MENACINGLY): "I'm starting to doubt your loyalty, Steve. Something you wanna share with me, ya little bitch?"

Yeah -- that WAS!

At first he was all laughing and Chico-ish he was so cheerful saying it... but when that "li'l bitch" popped out almost under his breath like that ... I dont think he was kidding so much :mellow:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Actually did anyone notice.... Steve really was feeling the hate for the Rangers. Is he an Islander fan or hOnestly always a Devil fan?

One night when the Devils were playing the Islanders Dano cracked a joke to Deb - like "bet you'll like that" when she was going to be talking to an Islander... it was really funny - but he stopped himself kind of and they just let it drop. But I was thinking was that because she's such an Islander fan or because she used to work for them? She did right? or not? ANYHOW - it was really funny and playful and made me like Deb all the more

(I cannot spell AT ALL today not even my usual lisdexic stuff)

oh and here: **smoooooooch** that was for Scott Stevens. no NOT Marty... :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I thought the Devils played quite well, but Lundqvist and the Rangers overall team commitment to blocking shots was the difference. Kovalchuk had a great game I thought. As to his turnovers, Kovalchuk is trying to make things happen. As a result he's going to make riskier passes to try and pressure the Defense. It adds another element to the NJ offence (something we've been complaining about missing for years it seems) and that Kovalchuk/Henrique/Parise line has been clicking as a result. I'd much rather have him try things like that than just resort to dump and chase (which is also basically turning the puck over, only in a less dangerous area).

Larsson also had a strong game I thought. I think Foster taking over his PP duties has either kicked his ass into gear or he's gotten more comfortable with the smaller workload.

Elephant in the room: Brodeur is a big problem this year. I really hope we don't look at the end of the year and see that Brodeur's play is what kept us out of the playoffs.

Among qualified goaltenders, he's 42 of 44 in save percentage

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/year/2012/seasontype/2

Exactly, he's getting killed for a risky pinch on a PP where we are down in the third period! ok, play it safe and let the rags clear. .

:rofl:

And maybe the funniest part is the idea of Chico doing anything in a menacing manner.

being there last night... started out so awesome. Tons of play in their zone, then the goal... oh man

once the Rags scored... the entire energy in the building changed, a guy 2 rows in front of me jumped up and spilled beer everywhere

It didnt help i had 2 meathead Ranger fans in front of me

When the 2nd goal was scored, one turned around and wanted to give me a high five, i gave him a look and said "turn the fvck around" he didnt look back after that.

then the 3rd goal happened... and some devil fans began to leave... one of them stood in the isles and began mocking passing Devil fans. Most of those passing fans shoved this one dude out of the way and flipped them the bird

With about 45 seconds left, i got up and walked up... avoiding any eye contact with anyone who would have been perceived as a douchey ranger fan.

it SUCKS to lose, but because they just invaded our Arena (As always) and a few disrespectful meathead ranger fans, it felt worse than usual.

we NEED more Devil fans to go to Ranger/Devil fans at The Rock... it doesn't feel like our Arena during these games... it bugs the crap out of me to look up and see so much blue.

i've been to a bunch of losses including the playoff loss that shalt not be talked about... this was not at that level, but the energy in the building had that feeling of utter disappointment.

But, in the grand sceme of things, its 1 game... Washington on friday, lets win that one!

Sure seems that way sometimes. Prodigy said it perfectly...you seem to think you had some profound insight and are now being proven correct now that Marty is truly playing like he's on the decline. I said in previous posts that it was impossible to predict what Marty would be this season. But yeah, at 39 and with his mileage, this isn't coming as a real surprise to anyone...we were all hoping for better, that he could build off his second half of last season, but clearly it hasn't happened.

What makes you annoying about this one particular topic is, like I've said, you make it sound like this kind of play has been the norm for several seasons now, and that somehow no one else has been able to see it except for you. I've pointed out in previous posts to you how, up until last season's first half, Marty's numbers have been as good or better than his career norms in recent seasons, despite facing MORE shots behind less-talented defenses, but you blow that off like none of that matters, and retort with statements like "Well, he hasn't played as well against the Rangers," like you need to find some kind of measuring stick, no matter how flawed, to prove that Marty's really been such a zilch for years now. Like beating the Rangers is the be all-end all of the Devils' world and the only thing that should count. Like his recent record against the Rangers negates everything else he did in the last five years or so.

Now I see you're even trying to negate what Marty's done against the Rangers in his prime, like he was just along for the ride. I am at a complete loss why you feel like the need to constantly downplay Marty's contributions to this franchise, but I've given up trying to figure that out, because you obviously have some issue with the guy that I'll never understand. When he was successful, it was all about the defense in front of him; now that he's struggling, it's because he's being exposed now that "Stevens and company" are gone, though he still played well after they had moved on. Whatever.

Funny, NOW it's OK to use stats to back up YOUR point, but when others pointed out how the stats DIDN'T back up your whole "declining for years" argument, those stats didn't matter.

C'mon you are better than this.

I have even backed off on criticizing the prime of Marty's career as it was silly.

However, please just do not fall into the trap of doing what the fanboys do here all the time.

I really do not know where you are getting that I do not appreciate Brodeur as you hinted in the other thread. I do appreciate what he has done for the organization but honestly he has been hurting the organization more lately then helping.

I never claimed to have profound insight or anything and if you and Prodigy are saying that I am "happy" that Brodeur played terrible, then you didn't see how pissed I was last night at the loss. I wanted to win the game and I felt Brodeur was the main reason why we lost. To just brush it off aside to me is silly. If you go right away into defense mode at my posts then again it is on you and not me on how you interpret it. Again, I took no glee in the lost last night.

Plus, how many times have I said on this board over the last year that I thought Clarkson was trash and many people came to his defense and said I was wrong. Well Clarkson this year is proving them right and the Clarkson defenders have gone after me for my previous words about him. However, instead of going on a rant about it, I just accepted it and honestly Im happy Clarkson is making me eat my words. That means he is doing a better job and helping us win games. Right now a lot of members know I do not like Teddy right now, but if he starts finishing, I have absolutely no problem with people calling me out on it and making me eat my words.

Edited by DevsMan84

it SUCKS to lose, but because they just invaded our Arena (As always) and a few disrespectful meathead ranger fans, it felt worse than usual.

we NEED more Devil fans to go to Ranger/Devil fans at The Rock... it doesn't feel like our Arena during these games... it bugs the crap out of me to look up and see so much blue.

It wasn't that bad at the final game last year when we won(there were only 10-15% from what I heard?). If there were at least 8,000 of em last night or as bad as when Montreal comes to Sunrise or Ottawa I can understand the Invasion complaint. But seriously if you want more devils fans to show up you gotta a)stop pricing out your fanbase and b)have a better team than you do.

Edited by Marv4Life

Re: Rangers fans invading our building. That sh!t's been going on since Day 1. Last night was nothing new. The only reason last night might've seemed a little worse to some is because the Rangers are looking like they could be a legitimate contender this year plus the national exposure they're getting from the 24/7 program. Their fans are all cocky right now, so it stings more when they beat us in our own building. It sucks, but if you're a real Devils fan you deal with it. All the more better it will be when we start beating their asses again. ... When that's going to be, who knows. But these are the times when the Devils players need to know they're fans still have their backs and are not staying home and letting those Rangers scum fill our seats.I'll ALWAYS go to these games, no matter how bad it is sometimes. It WILL get better. We saw it in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Rangers fans weren't saying Jack in our building back then.

• Like 2

Re: Rangers fans invading our building. That sh!t's been going on since Day 1. Last night was nothing new. The only reason last night might've seemed a little worse to some is because the Rangers are looking like they could be a legitimate contender this year plus the national exposure they're getting from the 24/7 program. Their fans are all cocky right now, so it stings more when they beat us in our own building. It sucks, but if you're a real Devils fan you deal with it. All the more better it will be when we start beating their asses again. ... When that's going to be, who knows. But these are the times when the Devils players need to know they're fans still have their backs and are not staying home and letting those Rangers scum fill our seats.I'll ALWAYS go to these games, no matter how bad it is sometimes. It WILL get better. We saw it in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Rangers fans weren't saying Jack in our building back then.

I'm sick and tired of these games myself, they're 2-11 in the games I've attended at the Rock, and the Ranger fans are getting worse every year. That said, I won't sell tickets unless I know Devil fans are using them, ergo I don't sell them for profit. I don't see the Ranger games as a cash grab the way too many do.

Edited by NJDevs4978