GDT Devils vs. Capitals

ZeroGravityFat

I will say that Marty is 3-0 in the shoot out this season and hasn't even given up a goal in those to boot.. That said, I was asking for Moose to play the Rags because I do feel more comfortable with him in big games

And pretty good crowd in the Uppers.. I guess a lot of kids coming home for holiday break took advantage of College Night

And those of us home on leave from our stations ;)

I had a blast, brought my little brother, he's 13. we were in the very last row 213. The crowd was pretty good! I was having too much fun. of course, when it was tied 3-3, I was about ready to swear off ever going to a hockey game again, because the last time I saw the Devils was in Florida ... where they went up 3-0... and yeah obviously we all know the rest. I was like, wtf, am I a hex on my team? luckily the shootout saved us. afterwards we were one of the last people to leave, just kinda taking it all in. it's funny how I used to take going to Devils home games for granted. Can't wait to go to the next 3 as well.

And those of us home on leave from our stations ;)

I had a blast, brought my little brother, he's 13. we were in the very last row 213. The crowd was pretty good! I was having too much fun. of course, when it was tied 3-3, I was about ready to swear off ever going to a hockey game again, because the last time I saw the Devils was in Florida ... where they went up 3-0... and yeah obviously we all know the rest. I was like, wtf, am I a hex on my team? luckily the shootout saved us. afterwards we were one of the last people to leave, just kinda taking it all in. it's funny how I used to take going to Devils home games for granted. Can't wait to go to the next 3 as well.

4-3 once again?

will bet on those game =-)

Oh well...they got two points.

As bad as this team can look, and as frustrating as they can be to watch, they're only seven points out of the division lead. Kind of miraculous for a team that's managed 11 regulation wins over its first 34 GP.

Brodeur's season numbers are fitting (3.06 GAA, .884 save%), because it feels like he's a lock to give up three goals these days. Looks like DB is going to continue to give him chances to be the 1A guy though. FWIW, the Devils have won three of his past four starts, but I don't think the DB can continue to put out a guy who has the 3rd-worst save% in NHL for too much longer...especially when the other guy is middle-of-the-pack in that number.

Re: the Rangers...don't think it's fair to say that Brodeur has developed a complex against them. Lundqvist simply shuts them down most of the time...I looked and couldn't find the exact numbers, but I think Lundqvist's career GAA against is the Devils is well below 2.00, and his save% against them over .930. With rare exceptions, the Devils' shooters just don't seem able to solve this guy. That has a lot more to do with them than it does with Marty.

Re: the Rangers...don't think it's fair to say that Brodeur has developed a complex against them. Lundqvist simply shuts them down most of the time...I looked and couldn't find the exact numbers, but I think Lundqvist's career GAA against is the Devils is well below 2.00, and his save% against them over .930. With rare exceptions, the Devils' shooters just don't seem able to solve this guy. That has a lot more to do with them than it does with Marty.

Except that every single game against the Rangers Marty gives up a killer soft goal as well, like the first Gaborik goal the other night.

Except that every single game against the Rangers Marty gives up a killer soft goal as well, like the first Gaborik goal the other night.

Not saying Marty is blameless. More saying that there's plenty of other reasons why the Lundqvist-era Rangers seem to have the Devils' number lately.

From scanning this thread, it seems a lot of people pointed to our missing d-men as the excuse for blowing the lead. Thing is, that's not it. The team looked fine, great even, defensively and offensively for two periods. It's the mindset that the team has in the 3rd that caused this and all the other blown leads. We revert back to old form, sit back, don't forecheck, become passive, weak in front of the net, etc. It has really become almost comically predictable. I am just waiting for the collapse at this point whenever we get a big lead. Somebody needs to step up in the locker room and get the entire team to pull their heads out when it comes to the 3rd. Sitting back doesn't work. The mentality needs to be "Now let's blow them out of the water." Look how Boston wins all their games 20-0. Clearly, they don't just stop trying to score or put on any pressure after they score 3.

The solution to beating the Rangers and Lundqvist is to NOT put Brodeur out there. Not because he's bad against them, but because Lundqvist publicly stated years ago that he relishes playing against Brodeur and watched him growing up. Lundqvist's crazy numbers against us stem from the fact that he elevates his game each time he faces off against Brodeur. If we have Hedberg in net, Lundqvist may not see it as such a meaningful effort and we may just get a few by him.

From scanning this thread, it seems a lot of people pointed to our missing d-men as the excuse for blowing the lead. Thing is, that's not it. The team looked fine, great even, defensively and offensively for two periods. It's the mindset that the team has in the 3rd that caused this and all the other blown leads. We revert back to old form, sit back, don't forecheck, become passive, weak in front of the net, etc. It has really become almost comically predictable. I am just waiting for the collapse at this point whenever we get a big lead. Somebody needs to step up in the locker room and get the entire team to pull their heads out when it comes to the 3rd. Sitting back doesn't work. The mentality needs to be "Now let's blow them out of the water." Look how Boston wins all their games 20-0. Clearly, they don't just stop trying to score or put on any pressure after they score 3.

They're still stuck in the old era mentality when the Devils would score 2 or 3 goals and the team, as well as the game itself, was designed to shut the opposition down for the rest of the game. It obviously doesn't work in today's NHL, nor does it work with this team. Seeing as how DeBoer is a high energy, forechecking coach, I doubt he is telling them to sit back on a lead. It's either an influence from the old guard, or more likely, Lou prefers that kind of hockey and so it trickles down. I think if DeBoer had his way, we would keep attacking just like Boston does.

This team HAS to start clearing the crease. Marty is just dropping these pucks down and before he can cover them someone is sticking their stick in there. We have some big dmen. They need to dominate that side of the ice. Obviously it isnt the same sport as Stevens played in and penalties and fines are handed out left and right but they need to legally push people out. Players are also standing right in front of Marty with ease. fvcking knock him out of there or make it extremely difficult for him to stay there! That I think is what pisses me off the most watching this team. Other teams d pushes and shoves us out of there but we let them set up camp.

Start using the body god damn it and I dont mean in a Janssen-esk way.

They're still stuck in the old era mentality when the Devils would score 2 or 3 goals and the team, as well as the game itself, was designed to shut the opposition down for the rest of the game. It obviously doesn't work in today's NHL, nor does it work with this team. Seeing as how DeBoer is a high energy, forechecking coach, I doubt he is telling them to sit back on a lead. It's either an influence from the old guard, or more likely, Lou prefers that kind of hockey and so it trickles down. I think if DeBoer had his way, we would keep attacking just like Boston does.

I didn't see the 3rd period, but I've seen enough of this team in the 3rd period to know that this isn't what's happening. DeBoer is sending 2 guys into the zone, they're just not doing enough to gain control of the puck or maintain strong defense in the neutral zone.

I didn't see the 3rd period, but I've seen enough of this team in the 3rd period to know that this isn't what's happening. DeBoer is sending 2 guys into the zone, they're just not doing enough to gain control of the puck or maintain strong defense in the neutral zone.

Sending 2 guys into the zone doesn't mean much when they aren't really pursuing the puck or anything else to control the play. It's essentially just for show. The team's fundamental mindset shifts drastically when they have a comfortable lead, and I doubt it stems from DeBoer. There also isn't enough of the old guard still around where they would make that much of an influence over the rest of the team.

The solution to beating the Rangers and Lundqvist is to NOT put Brodeur out there. Not because he's bad against them, but because Lundqvist publicly stated years ago that he relishes playing against Brodeur and watched him growing up. Lundqvist's crazy numbers against us stem from the fact that he elevates his game each time he faces off against Brodeur. If we have Hedberg in net, Lundqvist may not see it as such a meaningful effort and we may just get a few by him.

Exactly. Has anyone else noticed our best year against The Queen was when Brodeur was hurt and Scott Clemenson was in net? Besides the sweep of the Rangers in the playoffs that one year (Queen was 0-3), the Devils haven't been able to prove anything against the Rags with Marty in net. I'm not saying all the losses are his fault but the numbers speak for themselves. We have a better chance beating them with Hedberg in net. It's fact not opinion at this point.

we better start winning games in regulations/OT the way the standings are tight, if we endup tie in pts with other teams the tiebreaker could be deadly

i hate this tiebreaker and when you get a point when you lose in OT/SO, for examples i could see us missing the playoffs cause were tie with a team in pts and losing the tiebreaker because they had like one more regulation win but like 14 extra points from losses in OT/SO... you shouldnt get points when you lose thats it

Edited by SterioDesign