MartysGlove

Volchenkov

Tallinder

Salvador

Greene

Larsson

Foster

Fayne

Eventually, we will have 7 healthy defensemen.. and I'm not sure if any of the guys really deserve to sit.

It would be between Foster and Larsson.. and I'd rather not sit Larsson. Foster, I personally would since I don't think his defensive meltdowns are worth his PPQB abilities. But still, he's working on the PP and its getting better.

We can carry all 7, dress all 7 and only play Foster on PP.. but I think thats a terrible idea.

We can also do some sort of rotation.. but I also think thats a bad idea to keep messing up pairings/give less ice time to Fayne and Larsson.

So what do we do?

Trading Greene or Tallinder is most likely IMO.. and probably Greene at that. Hopefully we can get a mid level PMD prospect and a 2nd round pick for him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volchenkov

Tallinder

Salvador

Greene

Larsson

Foster

Fayne

Eventually, we will have 7 healthy defensemen.. and I'm not sure if any of the guys really deserve to sit.

It would be between Foster and Larsson.. and I'd rather not sit Larsson. Foster, I personally would since I don't think his defensive meltdowns are worth his PPQB abilities. But still, he's working on the PP and its getting better.

We can carry all 7, dress all 7 and only play Foster on PP.. but I think thats a terrible idea.

We can also do some sort of rotation.. but I also think thats a bad idea to keep messing up pairings/give less ice time to Fayne and Larsson.

So what do we do?

Trading Greene or Tallinder is most likely IMO.. and probably Greene at that. Hopefully we can get a mid level PMD prospect and a 2nd round pick for him.

Is the PP really getting better though? aren't they like 4 for their last 30? Also gave up another SHG a few nights ago.

IMO I've never been a HUGE Greene fan. Maybe it's just me but sometimes I catch him wondering what bark on a tree is made of.

i guess we should try to figure out what our D core will be in about 2-3 years, so who's staying and who's leaving and make trades to make our team better asap. Cause there's obviously no room for everyone and we'll endup wasting talent in the AHL

Its still really tricky, whats i'd like to see in about 3 years (real tricky)

Larsson

Merrill

Urbom

Taormina

Fayne

Volchenkov

Greene

(possibly at that time rotating Merrill/Urbom/Tao depending on how they are doing)

so it would be assuming that we're not resigning Salvador, its gonna sound weird but even though i want the youngsters up... we could miss Sal... other than Greene and A-train he's one of the only one who can be really effective around the net blocking shots and all.... Larsson and the other young guys seems a bit numb around the net

Tallinder could be traded too... but i'd wait till Tao or Urbom are ready to take the next step officially, i think he's helping all our young swedes a lot and he's a good mentor while been effective on the ice. Having his salary off the book is going to help too while younsters could bring similar production IMO.

so guys like Burlon, Gelinas, Corrente would be our call ups in case of injuries which is okay for them... there would be no room for them on the roster anyways

and god knows what we're gonna be drafting in the next few years so...

edit: oh yeah... Foster... well i guess we could trade him for a pick or something, there's no need for him other than patching

Edited by SterioDesign

If I had to choose out of those 7 to sit it would be Foster. With the depth the Devils have I'd be open to moving Greene in the right trade though. He hasn't been horrible but hasn't been great and I think he could be a decent trade asset. With the 7 guys (not including Urbom or Taormina), Greene ranks 5th in 5 on 5 ice time, 4th in relative corsi with a -1.2 rating despite going up against negative competition and having positive teammates on the ice with him. He also is given the 2nd highest favorable offensive zone start for any Devils defensemen in 5 on 5 situations. I think he is a useful player but the Devils may be able to replace his production from within while trading him for some help up front.

A look at some 5 on 5 numbers:

TOI/60

Larsson 17.73

Tallinder 17.39

Fayne 16.04

Salvador 15.39

Greene 15.14

Volchenkov 13.37

Foster 13.20

Relative Corsi

Fayne 7.7

Tallinder 5.0

Larsson 1.8

Greene -1.2

Salvador -5.5

Volcehnkov -8.7

Foster -16.5

Quality of Competition

Fayne 0.023

Larsson 0.011

Tallinder 0.007

Salvador -0.008

Volchenkov -0.016

Greene -0.035

Foster -0.074

Quality of Teammates

Larsson 0.232

Fayne 0.196

Tallinder 0.157

Greene 0.035

Foster -0.082

Volchenkov -0.135

Salvador -0.173

P/60

Greene 1.38

Larsson 0.82

Fayne 0.66

Salvador 0.46

Tallinder 0.35

Foster 0.32

Volchenkov 0.14

Offensive Zone Start

Larsson 54.1%

Greene 50.8%

Salvador 49.0%

Fayne 48.5%

Tallinder 47.4%

Foster 44.1%

Volchenkov 42.2%

Corsi - The difference in shots attempted by the player's team and the shots attempted against the player's team in 5 on 5 situations.

Relative Corsi - Measures how effective a player is in driving possession, relative to the rest of his team. It measures his raw EV Corsi relative to the raw EV Corsi of his team when he is off the ice.

Quality of Competition - The measure of how good the opposition is that the player is facing when he's on the ice. A higher score (above 0) represents tougher competition, a lower score (below 0) represents weaker competition.

There has been a lot of talk surrounding a few RW's around the league (Iginla, B.Ryan, and Hemsky)

Option A (Iggy): I think that if we are doing well at the deadline and trying to add a player like we did with Kovy a couple years ago. Iggy would be a hell of an option, for the right price. I mean we would have to give up a prospect and maybe Teddy to go along with a defender other than Larsson. Iggy has 7 million cap hit, I forget how cap space works as the season goes on, but he shouldn't be to hard to fit. His contract doesn't expire until 2013 which could create cap issues to get Zach, but it would make us an extremely legitimate contender.

Option B (Hemmer): Hemsky is one of the most talented guys in the league, I know Zach, Adam, and Kovy are clicking right now, but a line of Kovy/Parise-Henrique-Hemsky would be dangerous. He has a 4.1 cap hit and set to become a UFA this ofseason, could be a great rental. With plans for Merril unknown and Edmonton fairly weak on Defense, I feel his asking price won't be steep at all, certainly no Kovalchuk ransom. Hemsky is a clutch player, and has helped carry Edmonton at times, but defensive play and work ethic may be a liability. If the asking price was right though, I would pounce on it.

Option C: If all else fails at the turn of the calander. For example, we go polar opposite of how we have been playing and Zach is veryuncertain of his future with the team then I think Bobby Ryan would e a great player to try to obtain. Parise for Ryan straight up wouldn't work since there is no guarentee of Zach re-signing and wouldn't make much sense unless Anahem is able to right their ship and push for a playoff spot.

That being said, I think a line combo of (more like a depth chart, since I am not considering our current lines, but would like to keep them together for as long as possible).

Kovy-Henrique-Iginla/Hemsky

Parise-Zajac- Zubrus/Clarkson

Elias-Josefson- Sykora/Clarkson

Tedenby-Carter-Clarkson

I am also not considering trading a forward, otherwise, the "depth chart" would look different. I think Teddy would be our most tradeable piece. I think an all-star RW like Hemsky or Iginla would make this team a competitor. They both have their risks though, Hemsky would be more of a liability on the ice, meanwhile, Iginla could hurt our payroll but I doubt he would effect the teams chemistry because he is just that kind of guy.

I think tht moving a defenser like Greene or Tally would be the best option to push one of these trades through.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

I dont think that we need to add a top 6 player at the deadline to be succesfulj, we already have top 9 players fighting for top 6 spots...

I think we should just build a solid 3rd and 4th line getting cheaper 3rd line guys to fill our 4th line and maybe upgrade our 3rd with warriors... No need to play with our chemistry, you need depth in the playoffs...

So that way its way cheaper but you really upgrade at the right place

Im thinking guys like ruutu, darche and forwards like that and for a dman id like beauchemin or gorges

I dont think that we need to add a top 6 player at the deadline to be succesfulj, we already have top 9 players fighting for top 6 spots...

I think we should just build a solid 3rd and 4th line getting cheaper 3rd line guys to fill our 4th line and maybe upgrade our 3rd with warriors... No need to play with our chemistry, you need depth in the playoffs...

Im thinking guys like ruutu, darche as forwards like that and for a dman id like beauchemin or gorges

Im thinking guys like ruutu, darche as forwards like that and for a dman id like beauchemin or gorges

Tallinder is so expendable right now.

Aside from the fact that he's good, he's gone out of his way to help our army of young Swedes. They all live in the same building, they're at his place for Christmas, they drive to games together. You need that, and you're not getting that in a trade. Greene you can tree; it frees up a roster spot and you should be able to get a decent return. Tallinder's necessary.

Aside from the fact that he's good, he's gone out of his way to help our army of young Swedes. They all live in the same building, they're at his place for Christmas, they drive to games together. You need that, and you're not getting that in a trade. Greene you can tree; it frees up a roster spot and you should be able to get a decent return. Tallinder's necessary.

Isn't that Hedberg? I know he rents an apartment in the same house as the kids, I would imagine Tallinder living in a house.

I really don't think Taormina should be off the roster, he is an ideal #7 defensmen this year that will be a #5 or #6 next year. Foster has been horrible for the Devils defensively. He is already stretching a horrible CORSI, if he doesn't make a significance in the PP in the next 10 games I'm not sure what to think.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I'd look to get rid of Salvador. I know he may not be the most coveted asset among other teams with his age/contract/last year's injury but I think he's probably the 5th best D-man we have and you have to figure Foster is here to stay after Lou dealt for him.

The length of Tallinder's contract and the money left on it is pretty bad but we've seen this guy play some great hockey last year and I think we'll see his play improve.

Is it just me, or are some of these ideas stretches to say the least? Getting rid of Tally, Sal and Fayne? They are being leaned on the heaviest and I think they have done a pretty strong job.

not you at all.

Just waiting for somebody to pencil in Merrill, Gelinas and Burlon as starters next year well just because.

The Devils are a year removed from using Olivier Magnan for 19 games. They're two years removed from using an exceptionally well protected and horrible Mark Fraser for 60+ games. Why are we looking to move defensemen, again? The last time the Devils played a playoff game, they dressed Martin Skoula.

The Devils don't have to make a move on defense, nor should they. They could go with 7 D splitting the back pairing time between Larsson/Salvador/Foster/Volchenkov with each getting around 15 minutes. I don't like 7 D, but it makes more sense than dressing Janssen or Sestito.