GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa Senators

Quinn01

The Avs just came back to force OT against the Kings.

It's devolved into a Rangers thread because they came back from a 2-0 lead and won 3-2 while we lead by a 2-0 lead and lost in OT by a score of 3-2. In addition I think some are having a hard time realizing that the Rangers lead the east while the Devils are barely managing to stay in the hunt. Finally, they are our rivals. Knowing our luck we'll end up playing the Rangers. I mean we did have 3 straight seasons 07-08 to 09-10 of playing teams in the playoffs that weren't the best matchups for us. We have an aging goaltender who has a horrible record against the Rangers as of late so yeah, we're going to talk about the Rags.

I guess, but just because their our rivals, that doesn't mean their comeback today is relevant to our game today, because it is pretty irrelevant. If anything, wouldn't it make more sense to talk about how we blew this lead, and how Ottawa seems to be doing this quite often now? (Down 3-0 to Calgary the other night, win in OT on Alfredssons 400th, then tonight do the same on his 401st.)

I just don't see how the Rangers are relevant to tonight's game - and it seemed as if it started with random playoff scenarios. Like you originally said to the first person that was talking about playoffs - let's get there first.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

Yea, I missed the oilers game. Kinda wanted to see it... oh well.

If we won the game, we'd be saying Marty had a great game. The second goal was apparently deflected off Taormina's stick, so it's not as soft as you think. The third goal is not a softie. Go play goalie sometime and have a sniper sit 5 feet in front of you with the puck for 3 seconds and a clear shot to the net. Let me know how many times you save it too.

Yea are defense is pretty blah to say the least. I guess the Rangers have been making the right moves over the years.

Why don't you just become a Rangers fan already, since they're so awesome and everything they do is so perfect? You obviously can't handle the slightest bit of adversity when it comes to these Devils. You crack me up...one strong half-season for the Rangers in terms of their record, and suddenly Glen Sather is a genius who, just like that, has got this thing all figured out.

The Devils are 21-15-2, 17-10-1 in their last 28 GP, and 9-3-1 in their last 13 GP. They're not a laughingstock, but they're clearly a team that has things to work on and isn't an elite team right now. They're a team that has had both positives and negatives. A lot of nights, it's not going to come easy for the Devils, and they're not going to enjoy a lot of laughers, and occasionally they'll lose ugly, but they ARE competitive most of the time. They're currently on pace for a 95-point season and battling for a playoff spot.

Instead of throwing a sh!tfit everytime this team dares to lose and making it sound like every loss automatically sends the Devils to the bottom of the standings by default, why not try to enjoy the fact that the Devils are actually IN a battle for a playoff spot (unlike last season, in spite of that crazy run), Henrique's development, Sykora's/Clarkson's/Zubrus' surprising production, etc.? I'm not saying that losses like last night aren't frustrating...just saying you don't have to make it sound like the end of the world every time the Devils lose a friggin' game.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Why is it so hard to find Brodeurs stats vs the Rags? And holy crap what a game between Stanford and OSU

Ok never mind found it 43-26-20 with a 2.13 GAA and eight shutouts in 89 career games against NY. He's 6-21 vs Hank....um...so he's 37-5 vs the Rangers with out Hank? Wait...is that correct?

Well quite a bit of the 20 OTL/T includes shootout losses, as does the 6-21 record. So it's more like 6-15-6 or whatever, but the fact is he's won six times against Lundqvist in 27 games.

C'mon Boys! Do it for Ol' Don Rickles!

don-rickles-pubshot.jpg

"YOU HOCKEY PUCK!

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned yet (too lazy to go through the entire thread), but why was Cangialosi referring to Kyle Turris as Torris?

For a while there, I was wondering if Raffi Torres was with the Senators now.

"YOU HOCKEY PUCK!

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned yet (too lazy to go through the entire thread), but why was Cangialosi referring to Kyle Turris as Torris?

For a while there, I was wondering if Raffi Torres was with the Senators now.

Haha I was wondering that too with Turris.

Doc needs to send Steve his big ol' book of hockey player name pronunciations.

This season and actually last season as well more people are bashing Marty. I used to be alone in that category.

I miss those days...

People cant handle adversity. Seriously, it's laughable.

The Rangers have half a good season, and suddenly they've been making the right moves all these years? Seriously!? Is our fan base that fvcking stupid?

I miss those days...

People cant handle adversity. Seriously, it's laughable.

The Rangers have half a good season, and suddenly they've been making the right moves all these years? Seriously!? Is our fan base that fvcking stupid?

To their credit, the Rags have slowly been moving in the right direction season after season since the lockout while during the same time the Devils have regressing just a tad.

I do not think though the Devils will ever get to the level of being the laughingstock and even this year they are far from it and actually doing quite well on the whole with just some serious issues needing to be worked out.

I'd rather have a nice winning streak and momentum heading into the playoffs and getting 7th seed than getting into the playoffs as the 2nd seed and just sputtering into them like we have done in the past few playoff years for us.

Edited by DevsMan84

Best part of the game was Sykora picking his nose knuckles deep on the bench.

No seriously, the game was decent. Few minor mistakes. Overall we atleast got 1 point out of it. Its better then 0. Would have liked to see the Devils hold the lead and take the win in regulation but eh I guess we can have everything.

Best part of the game was Sykora picking his nose knuckles deep on the bench.

Haha yeah I was eating when I saw that and got just a little sick from that. Loved how the camera quickly switched to the guys repairing the glass before returning back, and he is still picking his nose and they quickly switch back to the glass haha.

Haha yeah I was eating when I saw that and got just a little sick from that. Loved how the camera quickly switched to the guys repairing the glass before returning back, and he is still picking his nose and they quickly switch back to the glass haha.

For a second there I thought he was going to eat it. I would have died. Id love to make that my avatar on here. :giggle:

For a second there I thought he was going to eat it. I would have died. Id love to make that my avatar on here. :giggle:

Oh man, the whole time I was like "please don't eat it, please don't eat it.."

Would've lost it if he had :lol:

Edited by Devilsfan118

Hmmm... Saying this team it terrible while they just ended a 3 game winning streak. Blaming Marty for every thing that's wrong with the season even though Moose's numbers are slipping too. Picking apart little plays by every player. Obsessing over the Rangers and talking about how great they are.

It must be njdevs the day after a loss... :headless chicken: :headless chicken:

This team is what it is. People need to stop pretending that it should be an elite division leading team.

Hmmm... Saying this team it terrible while they just ended a 3 game winning streak. Blaming Marty for every thing that's wrong with the season even though Moose's numbers are slipping too. Picking apart little plays by every player. Obsessing over the Rangers and talking about how great they are.

It must be njdevs the day after a loss... :headless chicken: :headless chicken:

This team is what it is. People need to stop pretending that it should be an elite division leading team.

Some should write the bolded 100 times, then 100 times more for good measure. There is definitely a "they're the Devils, so they should always be elite just because" mentality with some Devils fans.

The PP SHG nonsense is baffling (though some of those goals have been a result of flat-out poor goaltending), but there's positives to be found, #1 among them Henrique's wonderful start. Sad that it took Josefson's injury for him to get the opportunity, but Henrique has been a great story. And of course Sykora, Clarkson, and Zubrus combining for 35 goals. Kovalchuk can still be maddening, but at least he's putting some points on the board...that makes the "WTF?!" moments a little easier to swallow. And did anyone really think Elias would be so close to a PPG average?

Couldn't agree more DD56, as soon as some fans stop holding this team to the wrong standard, they'll see there's some good things going on.

If we won the game, we'd be saying Marty had a great game. The second goal was apparently deflected off Taormina's stick, so it's not as soft as you think. The third goal is not a softie. Go play goalie sometime and have a sniper sit 5 feet in front of you with the puck for 3 seconds and a clear shot to the net. Let me know how many times you save it too.

This.