GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa Senators

Quinn01

The PP SHG nonsense is baffling (though some of those goals have been a result of flat-out poor goaltending),

I don't know about that... Brodeur in his prime would have had trouble stopping most of those. He actually did stop a couple, and Hedburg has as well. Saying that a goalie letting a goal from a 2 on 0 against is "poor goaltending" is a bit... harsh, I guess.

I don't know about that... Brodeur in his prime would have had trouble stopping most of those. He actually did stop a couple, and Hedburg has as well. Saying that a goalie letting a goal from a 2 on 0 against is "poor goaltending" is a bit... harsh, I guess.

The one yesterday was pretty weak. The ones I was thinking of specifically were from 2-on-1s, where the defender had the passing lane cut off pretty well.

Hmmm... Saying this team it terrible while they just ended a 3 game winning streak. Blaming Marty for every thing that's wrong with the season even though Moose's numbers are slipping too. Picking apart little plays by every player. Obsessing over the Rangers and talking about how great they are.

It must be njdevs the day after a loss... :headless chicken: :headless chicken:

This team is what it is. People need to stop pretending that it should be an elite division leading team.

There's holding them to a higher standard and then there's an expectation of not being historically bad on the PP. I don't think 'that' should be too much to ask, especially with the talent we do send out on the PP.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The one yesterday was pretty weak. The ones I was thinking of specifically were from 2-on-1s, where the defender had the passing lane cut off pretty well.

Yea, but yesterday's was fairly atypical as well. That was more like a "regular" shorthanded goal against (ie.: just bad luck and a lapse of play).

Why don't you just become a Rangers fan already, since they're so awesome and everything they do is so perfect? You obviously can't handle the slightest bit of adversity when it comes to these Devils. You crack me up...one strong half-season for the Rangers in terms of their record, and suddenly Glen Sather is a genius who, just like that, has got this thing all figured out.

The Devils are 21-15-2, 17-10-1 in their last 28 GP, and 9-3-1 in their last 13 GP. They're not a laughingstock, but they're clearly a team that has things to work on and isn't an elite team right now. They're a team that has had both positives and negatives. A lot of nights, it's not going to come easy for the Devils, and they're not going to enjoy a lot of laughers, and occasionally they'll lose ugly, but they ARE competitive most of the time. They're currently on pace for a 95-point season and battling for a playoff spot.

Instead of throwing a sh!tfit everytime this team dares to lose and making it sound like every loss automatically sends the Devils to the bottom of the standings by default, why not try to enjoy the fact that the Devils are actually IN a battle for a playoff spot (unlike last season, in spite of that crazy run), Henrique's development, Sykora's/Clarkson's/Zubrus' surprising production, etc.? I'm not saying that losses like last night aren't frustrating...just saying you don't have to make it sound like the end of the world every time the Devils lose a friggin' game.

It just seems like the end of the world because of the way they lose games. They aren't usually losses you can gain anything out of because they're just so bad. Sure we got a point last night but we had the lead, in the 3rd period, onnnce again, and lost. That's not normal. The amount of SHGs isn't normal. The fact that everyone is nervous when the Devils are on a PP or everyone is nervous when the Devils come on the ice for the 3rd period isn't normal. Something has to change.

It's awesome that they're 9-3-1 in their last 13 but they should be 10-3 in their last 13. Sorry, that's just the way I look at it. I guess I'm a bad fan. I don't know what to tell you.

As far as the Rangers thing goes. I mean I will never be a fan. lol They just look a lot better than the Devils right now and I guess I'm pissed off and jealous and wondering how it happened.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I guess I'm pissed off and jealous and wondering how it happened.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

;)

It just seems like the end of the world because of the way they lose games. They aren't usually losses you can gain anything out of because they're just so bad. Sure we got a point last night but we had the lead, in the 3rd period, onnnce again, and lost. That's not normal. The amount of SHGs isn't normal. The fact that everyone is nervous when the Devils are on a PP or everyone is nervous when the Devils come on the ice for the 3rd period isn't normal. Something has to change.

It's awesome that they're 9-3-1 in their last 13 but they should be 10-3 in their last 13. Sorry, that's just the way I look at it. I guess I'm a bad fan. I don't know what to tell you.

As far as the Rangers thing goes. I mean I will never be a fan. lol They just look a lot better than the Devils right now and I guess I'm pissed off and jealous and wondering how it happened.

I feel the same way. You can't win the cup by blowing leads.

Are we contenders? If they straighten up, hell yeah but right now, we're not.

Edited by Devs4LordStanley

It happened because they missed the playoffs for the better part of a decade and have been in the bottom half of the league since 1997. They have actually drafted smart, and stuck with their kids long enough to let them develop (something we used to do and are only getting back to the last couple of seasons). Plus, the Queen is really good and keeps them in games that they are getting dominated in.

It happened because they missed the playoffs for the better part of a decade and have been in the bottom half of the league since 1997. They have actually drafted smart, and stuck with their kids long enough to let them develop

Actually, while this is true, some of the Rangers homegrown core on the roster this year was drafted in years when they were back to respectable play and a playoff team:

Del Zotto 2008 (20th)

Stephan 2008 (51st)

Hagelin 2007 (168th)

Anisimov 2006 (54th)

Those have turned out to be some pretty good players for a team who drafted as a playoff club. That's not to mention the utter raping of Bob Gainey for McDonaugh and a great find in Girardi.

Imagine where the Rangers would be if they took Giroux instead of Sanguinetti in 2006 and if Cherepanov didn't tragically die (provided he turned out to be a productive player)?

Callahan, Dubinsky, Queen and Staal were all results of being a non-playoff club. They blew a draft spot with Jessiman, too. The Queen was pure draft luck. He was a 205th overall pick. That kind of draft gem comes once in a generation for a franchise at best.

Edited by SJP20

It was bound to happen sooner or later, we'd pretty much dominated them for 10-12 years after '94 other than the fluke playoff loss in '97. I just didn't think it would happen with Sather still the GM :P He has made some good moves to get out from under his cap mistakes though.

Actually, while this is true, some of the Rangers homegrown core on the roster this year was drafted in years when they were back to respectable play and a playoff team:

Yeah most of their first rounders (especially the high, high ones) Sather's screwed up, but when he let Maloney and whoever his successor is do the picking in the later rounds, they've come up with gems.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Del Zotto 2008 (20th)

Stephan 2008 (51st)

Hagelin 2007 (168th)

Anisimov 2006 (54th)

Those have turned out to be some pretty good players for a team who drafted as a playoff club. That's not to mention the utter raping of Bob Gainey for McDonaugh and a great find in Girardi.

Imagine where the Rangers would be if they took Giroux instead of Sanguinetti in 2006 and if Cherepanov didn't tragically die (provided he turned out to be a productive player)?

Callahan, Dubinsky, Queen and Staal were all results of being a non-playoff club. They blew a draft spot with Jessiman, too. The Queen was pure draft luck. He was a 205th overall pick. That kind of draft gem comes once in a generation for a franchise at best.

For a guy who doesn't watch 24/7 because the Rangers are in it, you sure know more about their team than anyone else here, watch more of their games than anyone else here, and talk about the team be in Devils threads or the Out of Town thread more than anyone else here.

For a guy who doesn't watch 24/7 because the Rangers are in it, you sure know more about their team than anyone else here, watch more of their games than anyone else here, and talk about the team be in Devils threads or the Out of Town thread more than anyone else here.

So, posting about a team's draft history and knowledge of such anyone here can do with about 5 minutes worth of time is knowing more then anyone else? :rolleyes:

Go bark up someone else's tree, son.

So, posting about a team's draft history and knowledge of such anyone here can do with about 5 minutes worth of time is knowing more then anyone else? :rolleyes:

Go bark up someone else's tree, son.

Nothing to do with that one post. You just comment on the Rangers more than anyone else on the board and "keep telling people about the Rangers" or talk about "wanting the Rangers put in their places" for someone who has "no interest in the Rangers."

Nothing to do with that one post. You just comment on the Rangers more than anyone else on the board and "keep telling people about the Rangers" or talk about "wanting the Rangers put in their places" for someone who has "no interest in the Rangers."

Outside of the Devils, I watch hockey games of the NYR, the Islanders and the odd VS game here and there. I've watched the NYR enough to know that they look like they are for real and they are playing very well even though it's only half way. If you know anything about the sport, you can see why they have had good first half success. What makes me comment is based toward those who repeat over and over that the NYR are benefiting from schedule and whatever else from not actually watching them play. I'd say the same thing if it were the Islanders on a roll and people had no clue what they were talking about. Then again we also have Devils fans who have no idea what they're watching or talking about with the Devils, either.

I wasn't interested in a behind-the scenes show on the Rangers (or Flyers). Because i watch their games and can look up stats/info on Google does not mean i have an interest in anything more with them then what goes on on the ice. If i did have more of an interest, i'd be watching "beginnings", "Ranger #X" or "behind the bench". I find it amusing that some fans who raved on about 24/7 are the same ones who will bash the flyers/rangers/philadelphia/new york or anything related to those teams, but accuse others of not being good fans, have Ranger envy or some other asinine accusation for not watching it.

And yes, out of the lesser of two evils, i was rooting for the Flyers yesterday.

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 1

Who knows the Rangers have gotten into the playoffs as a lower seed and managed to look much more competitive in those series where we would get in as a high seed and just flounder. Maybe us squeeking into the playoffs and the Rags having a high seed will reverse fortunes a bit.

That's actually a good bet, based on historical trends.

To a point, at least.