GDT: Boston Bruins @ NJ Devils

Steven M.

Did anyone honestly think we would blow these guys out of the water tonight? I know at least I didn't and honestly this loss doesn't piss me off too much as they are pretty much the best team in the league and being where we are most of the times we should statistically be losing to them. I guess maybe that close game we had with them a couple months back got some peoples hope up, but remember that was a Bruins team just getting over their Stanley cup hangover at the time and are now looking like the Stanley cup champs.

Also just remember, the Bruins tonight look like how the devils were when they were defending the cup in 2000-01 season so now we get a taste on how it is on the other side. We had that nice taste for quite a number of years and we will eventually have it back sometime in the future amd you can bet we will prob not have to wait as long between cups like our two closest rivals.

Man it sucked being in the arena tonight!

The Bruins fans behind me were classy...kept joking with their Devils fan friend....but people were leaving in droves.

In my experiences, Boston fans tend to be amongst the best to be around with at the arena. They are up there with Chicago fans Imo.

thats a good way to look at things........its just the beating we took tonight, it really pissed me off

yeah of course... but seriously i'd take this loss tonight before any losses like the one in Ottawa where we blew our lead on a shorthanded goal and ended up losing because of it

man, it sucked being at the rock tonight!

I knew we were gonna lose, but I didn't expect so many Bruins fans. I thought I was in Boston. I couldn't even be mad at what the Bruins fans behind me were saying. They were pretty nice guys though. Knew the sport better than I did.

EDIT: didn't think my post went through earlier!

but yeah, ive had no prob with rangers fans either...just flyer fans.

Edited by Stolen

Sometimes I get the feeling that we shouldn't have gotten rid of guys like Gionta, Madden and Pandolfo.

BTW. what happened to Anssi Salmela?

lol

ya think?

In his defense, Lou tried. He actually does a good job of not simply caving in to player contract demands, unlike a certain someone in the area (who's initials are GS).

Salmela was hurt pretty seriously back in 2009, and now he's... let's see...

currently playing for the Avangard Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League

Sucks. I really liked watching him play, and wanted him to do well. Sorta like Tendenby, now.

GS has actually put together a pretty good team and a lot of players would really like to play for GS's organization.

Remember it's Lou who made the baffling decision to sign to Goons to play on the 4th line and didn't make any attempt at getting a backup goaltender who isn't on the downside of his career.

I mean Hedberg is good but there's no way we should have a goalie tandem that's the equivalent of the two old guys in the balcony of the Muppet Show.

old+men.jpg

• Like 1

In my experiences, Boston fans tend to be amongst the best to be around with at the arena. They are up there with Chicago fans Imo.

The one's by me SUCKED! They were obnoxious, screaming obscenities the entire time (NOT that I have a problem with that in general because I tend to have a sailor's mouth... being a sailor and all... but I try to keep it reserved in the arena cause obviously people bring children to the game), and I guess the best way to put it was they weren't "acting like they've been there." Just being completely disrespectful and annoying.

Just got back a little while ago from the game, because I went with a new friend and we were enjoying some post game action at Loft47... there, we met a few decent Bruins fans. We had some healthy arguments about Tim Thomas and what not... I told the dude I like Thomas, he's a fine American goalie, but the guy wanted me to get down on my knees and give Thomas a BJ or something - saying he is a "Great goalie" just wasn't enough for him, lmao. He was pretty drunk though. And we stayed in there so long that they brought us some free shots. I thought that was cool.

Overall, hard to take many positives out of this one. Not too busted up over it though considering how Boston his been blasting every team they play. Was it embarrassing? Yes. But I sat my a$$ in that seat until the final buzzer and tried to just enjoy being at the game, I'll miss it :( last time for a while...

Hopefully we come back strong against Florida.

Reality check once in a while only brings out the best in this team, I expect a nice rebound weekend.

Reality or not. Playing the panthers on Friday will seem like the hersey bears in comparison. at least our players in our zone will have more than a microsecond to breath before passing and the passing lanes wont be 1/4" wide the B's were swarming last night

I thought Kovy skated with passion as did zach and tedy, otherwise we were out classed

Whoa whoa whoa.

I never said this team was Stanley Cup material. I also was just proving a point by knowing how my team operates now a days. They hang with most teams, but when an elite team comes around, or if they have to travel and play a team that has been playing well you can almost guarantee that they will under perform and lose.

Now, I don't know how you feel about that, as a fan, but me, I'm pretty passionate and I think we deserve better. We have the players. So what's the problem?

If they're going to play like this, then yea sorry, they deserved to be bashed because it's hard to remain positive when they're just so predictable.

Our third periods are a fvcking disgrace. They were down 3-1 going into the 3rd and just gave up. God for bid we had a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd because it probably would have been even worse!! ! !

Anyway you're right. For now, I'll just start accepting that the team isn't good. Every time they get your hopes up, like with a win against Pitt or going up 3-0 in a game they fvcking let you down and it's just not right and something needs to change.

I've never heard of a team performing like this.

If the team is going to be like this for the next 5 years then that's just truly a shame, especially with what we're used to.

This team isn't supposed to be a bunch of losers. They haven't been since the mid 90s so there's no reason for it to start now. I'm not saying they're the Columbus Blue Jackets but the front office better start correcting the things that are wrong and quick. Because last year seems to have been the start of a major down fall.

Hate to break it to you, but franchises in ALL sports go through "major downfalls". As a Devil fan, you have yet to see anything resembling one. When the Devils miss the playoffs multiple and/or consecutive seasons, you can talk about a major downfall. This team has made the playoffs all but three seasons since the '87-'88 season. They've stumbled upon getting there sometimes, but getting into the playoffs damned near every season isn't a birthright. Sometimes it's so obvious who the younger Devils fans are, because they grew up watching nothing but winning hockey, and they think they're entitled to nothing but winning hockey season after season after season. It doesn't work that way for any team...you know what they called the Red Wings back in the 80s? The Dead Things.

Why even speculate what the next five years will bring? Do you how long that is? A lot of things can change in five years...you're talking about five years' worth of draft picks, for starters. Worry about the season in front of you. You have a team in transition that is battling for a playoff spot. Young players (including 3 former Devils 1st-rounders) in Larsson, Josefson (soon) and Tedenby are getting valuable experience. And Martyisth3b3st made a lot of good points in his post, about the state of the team.

I think what some are finding annoying about you is that you come off as very much an impatient, instant-gratification type, like Lou should just be able to make a couple of moves that will constantly keep the team at the top of the NHL. Doesn't work like that. Just remember that you're lucky, in that you've yet to witness a true rebuild, where you know going in your team has no chance...for a three- or four-year stretch.

Seriously, just shut your fvcking trap. Not just you, and I'm sorry you had to be the scapegoat for this one, but the whole collective group of butt-hurt fans who act like they're entitled to see the Devils clean the schedule in first place and waltz to a fvcking stanley cup... as if the Devils were doing you some personal injustice by losing this game.

It's a game in January against the best team in the conference and we got our butts handed to us. It happens. But all of these stupid fvcking fans who think that just because we won 3 cups in 9 years almost TWO DECADES ago, we're going to skip our way to the playoffs with a division crown and home ice advantage, need a fvcking reality check. Go look at our fvcking roster, we have talent to COMPETE, but we have a blue-line dominated by kids who are BOUND to have bad games, erratic-at-best stars and a top 6 that changes every fvcking night. Our goalie uses fvcking rogaine, our coach has barely been in place for 6 fvcking months, our superstar goes from Wayne Van Dorp to Wayne Gretzky and back every fvcking night, and our 'sniper' has a daughter that's old enough to sleep with legally... we are not going to dominate like we used to and that's just a simple fact.

Accept it that this team is a playoff contender, accept it that we won't dominate teams with any consistancy, ENJOY the fvcking season because you LOVE the team you root for, or go the hell away.

V3ry nic3ly said!

No but can we at least be competitive? Though maybe a blowout was what they needed. Might wake them up.

Right, because coming into this one, they were just sleepwalking during that 9-3-1 run.

They faced a better team last night, and one that is rolling. They ARE competitive most nights...just not elite.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I really think that this is what they needed - a really good ass whooping from a really good team.

I expect Lou to do something drastically soon because he ain't missing the playoffs 2yrs in a row.

Not saying this game made us miss the playoffs (I can name plenty of other ones that might've hurt our chances but that's not my point), a change to make us a better team.

I dont know, with the way things are going I am starting to think that dealing Parise for someone decent in return wouldnt be such a bad idea. Could be a wake up call for several other players also.

I am just extremely disgruntled with Kovys play. Its starting to really piss me off.

Edited by Quinn01

I dont know, with the way things are going I am starting to think that dealing Parise for someone decent in return wouldnt be such a bad idea. Could be a wake up call for several other players also.

I am just extremely disgruntled with Kovys play. Its starting to really piss me off.

Kovy had a bad pass here and there last night, but he was one of the few devils who showed up and skated with the bruins. he played with a fire last night he absolutely torched chara on a few plays tedenby skated with heart too, again one of the few that could skate by bruins. and deboer realized that and left him in

Kovy had a bad pass here and there last night, but he was one of the few devils who showed up and skated with the bruins. he played with a fire last night he absolutely torched chara on a few plays tedenby skated with heart too, again one of the few that could skate by bruins. and deboer realized that and left him in

Its not the bad passes I am worried about, its the turn overs. It didnt have just a few times also. Maybe its because I am watching him intently but it just seems like every time there is a turn over I can honestly say out loud, I bet Kovy had something to do with that, and usually I am correct. His frustration is starting to show also. After giving up the puck he slaps the stick on the ice frequently also. Im not saying he isnt playing with fire/heart its just frustrating to see him at his level make mistakes on a regular basis.

Seriously, just shut your fvcking trap. Not just you, and I'm sorry you had to be the scapegoat for this one, but the whole collective group of butt-hurt fans who act like they're entitled to see the Devils clean the schedule in first place and waltz to a fvcking stanley cup... as if the Devils were doing you some personal injustice by losing this game.

It's a game in January against the best team in the conference and we got our butts handed to us. It happens. But all of these stupid fvcking fans who think that just because we won 3 cups in 9 years almost TWO DECADES ago, we're going to skip our way to the playoffs with a division crown and home ice advantage, need a fvcking reality check. Go look at our fvcking roster, we have talent to COMPETE, but we have a blue-line dominated by kids who are BOUND to have bad games, erratic-at-best stars and a top 6 that changes every fvcking night. Our goalie uses fvcking rogaine, our coach has barely been in place for 6 fvcking months, our superstar goes from Wayne Van Dorp to Wayne Gretzky and back every fvcking night, and our 'sniper' has a daughter that's old enough to sleep with legally... we are not going to dominate like we used to and that's just a simple fact.

Accept it that this team is a playoff contender, accept it that we won't dominate teams with any consistency, ENJOY the fvcking season because you LOVE the team you root for, or go the hell away.

Thanks for the great post. I have been a Devils fan since the beginning and have been in in good times and in bad. I love them when they win and love them when they lose. And I always happy with what goes on on the ice... No.

I really think that this is what they needed - a really good ass whooping from a really good team.

I honestly don't get this mentality...why did the Devils need this? I never got the impression they were overconfident or delusional about where they are. And it's not like they're lollygagging out there. Again, last night they faced a much better team that is firing on all cylinders.

I expect Lou to do something drastically soon because he ain't missing the playoffs 2yrs in a row.

Not saying this game made us miss the playoffs (I can name plenty of other ones that might've hurt our chances but that's not my point), a change to make us a better team.

The Devils aren't good enough (right now) to be a top-half playoff team, so they'll remain in the bottom half for now, battling. What big move is Lou supposed to make here? I don't want him giving away youth right now.

Its not the bad passes I am worried about, its the turn overs. It didnt have just a few times also. Maybe its because I am watching him intently but it just seems like every time there is a turn over I can honestly say out loud, I bet Kovy had something to do with that, and usually I am correct. His frustration is starting to show also. After giving up the puck he slaps the stick on the ice frequently also. Im not saying he isnt playing with fire/heart its just frustrating to see him at his level make mistakes on a regular basis.

frustrating, I'll buy that! you definetly have to take the good with the bad in kovys case. he has his warts and plays on the edge. but he was forechecking last night and helped keep zone pressure a good number of times. there were very few bright spots last night. that was the bruins first game in 5 nights and they were ready to roll

To be fair, the entire team was giving up bad turnover after bad turnover last night. Every single player. Larsson and Tallinder in particular stood out to me as just making brutal decision after brutal decision.

I honestly don't get this mentality...why did the Devils need this?

FWIW, I have heard coaches say they prefer to get blown out than lose close games. In close games, you can say you played well enough to win but got bad bounces. But in a blowout, you get lots of video of what not to do and have a more clearly defined path to improvement.

As long as it doesn't become a habit, a blowout can be a good thing. ("Can" being the operative word.)

To be fair, the entire team was giving up bad turnover after bad turnover last night. Every single player. Larsson and Tallinder in particular stood out to me as just making brutal decision after brutal decision.

Thats true. Larsson didnt have the best game of his NHL career thus far last night. He clearly wasnt happy about his game either, showing him on the bench a few times. Tallinder also didnt have a strong game. The difference is that Larsson is a rookie and Tallinder isnt making 10mil a season. If you are going to be paid that amount of cash, you have to produce and/or not make as many mistakes. Does anyone know if Kovy is having issues off ice or is this just a slump he is in?

FWIW, I have heard coaches say they prefer to get blown out than lose close games. In close games, you can say you played well enough to win but got bad bounces. But in a blowout, you get lots of video of what not to do and have a more clearly defined path to improvement.

As long as it doesn't become a habit, a blowout can be a good thing. ("Can" being the operative word.)

That's a fairer assessment...I just don't like the attitude that the Devils somehow have been sleepwalking and needed this wake-up call. Don't think that's being fair.