GDT: Devils @ Penguins 1/7/2012

Devs4LordStanley

i still can't believe we got that goal

hahaha me either. It was a good goal and the whistle shouldnt have been blown so quickly but I am surprised that a call actually went the Devils way. I thought for sure it wouldnt. I also felt that when Teddy Bear was brought down on the somewhat of a break away that he didnt even draw a penalty....It goes to show you that the refs really do one side sh!t quite often. "Oops, well now we need to make up to the Pens on that one."

hahaha me either. It was a good goal and the whistle shouldnt have been blown so quickly but I am surprised that a call actually went the Devils way. I thought for sure it wouldnt. I also felt that when Teddy Bear was brought down on the somewhat of a break away that he didnt even draw a penalty....It goes to show you that the refs really do one side sh!t quite often. "Oops, well now we need to make up to the Pens on that one."

Loved the "Delay of Game" penalty on Tallinder accidentally hitting a home run in the neutral zone as well. It's a stupid fvcking rule to begin with anyway.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

I gotta admit I was fuming at Marty after that Malkin goal but jeebus did he stand on his head afterwards. Amazing.

most of us were mad, lol, but he more than made up for it, were a good team when he's on his game, seems like that versteeg whiff really egnited a good thing here with this team. hope it continues

Loved the "Delay of Game" penalty on Tallinder accidentally hitting a home run in the neutral zone as well. It's a stupid fvcking rule to begin with anyway.

Oh, that reminds me, I really hate that dumb ass rule. It's not even about who draws it (the only reason I'm bringing it up in response to Tallinder's penalty tonight is because this reminded me), it's just a lame rule, and a lame way to get a power play.

If they just change it so that it's up to the refs on the ice then it'd be OK. It's usually pretty blatantly obvious when someone does it on purpose anyway, plus certain guys do and will have reputations for it. Refs are actually pretty decent with that sort of thing.

Oh, that reminds me, I really hate that dumb ass rule. It's not even about who draws it (the only reason I'm bringing it up in response to Tallinder's penalty tonight is because this reminded me), it's just a lame rule, and a lame way to get a power play.

If they just change it so that it's up to the refs on the ice then it'd be OK. It's usually pretty blatantly obvious when someone does it on purpose anyway, plus certain guys do and will have reputations for it. Refs are actually pretty decent with that sort of thing.

I'd rather not have that one be subjective, or be a penalty at all because it's so random. What it should be...is the same as icing (which more or less serves the same purpose anyway), you just don't get to change your lines if you throw the puck into the stands and the faceoff goes to your zone. That's provided a detterent to icing, coaches frequently have to use their timeout if a line gets caught on the ice and winds up icing the puck at the end of a long shift.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yea, that'd be even better. I'm assuming that the league wants it to remain a penalty though, for whatever reason. :noclue:

Anyway, I just noticed that the Star-Ledger reported that Don Lever was scouting the game for the Blackhawks. Taking a quick look at Parise, or does anyone think there might be something else going on?

Yea, that'd be even better. I'm assuming that the league wants it to remain a penalty though, for whatever reason. :noclue:

Anyway, I just noticed that the Star-Ledger reported that Don Lever was scouting the game for the Blackhawks. Taking a quick look at Parise, or does anyone think there might be something else going on?

Scours attend games all the time

I think that the main reason it was reported was because it was Don Lever, but still.

It probably was nothing at all (and I agree that none of the three teams here are likely to move players back and forth), but it's still slightly curious.

Besides, it is a forum... gotta talk about something! :)

I'd rather not have that one be subjective, or be a penalty at all because it's so random. What it should be...is the same as icing (which more or less serves the same purpose anyway), you just don't get to change your lines if you throw the puck into the stands and the faceoff goes to your zone. That's provided a detterent to icing, coaches frequently have to use their timeout if a line gets caught on the ice and winds up icing the puck at the end of a long shift.

I agree with that.

I do find it funny that the nicest PP goal the Devils have scored in years was off a random scramble where no one seemed to be in the right spot, but boy was it a sweet goal.

Story of the season for the PP.

I don't think it's coincidence, devs seem to struggle with standing around on the weak side on their power play and no ring predictable. I do notice a greater emphasise on getting back to prevent shorties

I do find it funny that the nicest PP goal the Devils have scored in years was off a random scramble where no one seemed to be in the right spot, but boy was it a sweet goal.

Very good point, we were franticly trying to stay one step ahead of an overly aggressive pen kill, and it nullified our rote "Point to kovy one timer" we just moved it around really fast to the open man

That was a good observation, I still see that zigzag passing in my minds eye. There couldn't have been a better passing goal.

Absolutely. That was one hell of a beaut. I dont think the passes could have been any crisper or on spot.

I mean it's no mystery that this is exactly what our PP is designed for - good, crisp passes setting up a player for the one timer, redirect, or tap in..

And when it works like that it looks brilliant, but the problem still remains that it very rarely ends up working like that.. I mean how often are we able to get passes through the middle like that without a defender knocking it away with a stick? Our PP is still too stagnant and predictable, but yeah when it ends up working out it looks brilliant

48 points through 41 games. On pace for 96. For all the complaining about this team so far this year, 96's pretty solid for a playoff spot I'd imagine.

I think, coming into the season and knowing Zajac was going to miss significant time to start the year, most of us would've signed up for 48 points at the halfway point pretty quickly. They've been ugly at times, and the shootout has clearly helped them in the standings, but all things considered, I feel the same as I have all season about the Devils...I can't make a case, based on their talent, that they should be better points-wise than they are right now. Some will point to the power play and say that should be better, but at the same time, the penalty kill has been unbelievable...far better than any of us had any right to expect.

Marty has allowed just one goal in three out of his last five games...good for him. Save% is up to .894...at least that number is heading in the right direction.