Parise: Money matters, but Cup chances are key to new deal

Rock

Staal is way overpaid IMO. I would put him in the range of 7.5-7.8, similar to Stamkos or Lecavalier. He might not produce as much but is a franchise player. Carolina saw Staal as their franchise player and is probably why they overpaid.

Without a doubt, Staal is overpaid - espeically this year. However, that won't stop Parise from seeking similar numbers and receiving offers near that range.

I keep hearing that Detroit has lots of cap room this summer, and their owner is always willing to spend. If he leaves NJ, I think he signs there.

I can't see giving him any more than $8 million per season over 5-7 years. If he refuses that type of contract offer, they should trade him. What drives me crazy is Lou's stubborn refusal to negotiate with our players during the season and before their contract runs out. It's a stupid philosophy that costs the team more money to retain the player once they get to the open market (i.e. Elias) or, more often than not, leads to that player departing. If he continues to take this stance with Parise, he's as good as gone.

Also, there is no way Lou will trade Parise before the deadline if this team is either in a playoff spot or serious contention to make the playoffs. And then, come July, our best player and biggest asset will walk out the door for nothing.

I guess directly Eric Staal?

Ovechkin - 9,538,462 - 13 years

Malkin - $8.70mm - 5 years

Crosby - $8.70mm - 5 years

E Staal - $8.25mm - 7 years

------------

Nash - $7.8mm - 8 years

Lecavalier $7,727,273 - 11 years

Heatley $7.5mm - 6 years

Gaborik $7.5mm - 5 years

Stamkos $7.5mm - 5 years

Parise is not worth Stamkos' money, at least based on the last two seasons.

Bottom line, he can't be paid more than Kovy (on a per-year basis) and certainly not more than Elias on a per-year basis. I think 6.5 to 7 million per season is very generous. Very generous.

If he walks, he walks. It won't be the first time nor the last time that has happened to the Devils.

Isn't that the most preposterious thing you've ever exerienced, colin? It blows my mind that people are so stupid, but I guess that's life.

I've watched, played and now coached hockey for over 20 years. Kovy is a stud, period. Do I get frustrated when he misses the net on the PP and it leads to a breakaway the other way? Sure. Do I grit my teeth when he gives up on a play after making or receiving a sh!tty pass? Absolutely.

BUT. When he's on, he can be the best player in the building. Lemaire obviously made it clear that he needed to play more of a team game when he came here, and you can tell he's trying (and sometimes, fighting) it. These two morons in Sec 20 last game were yelling at him the whole game about how much he sucked...much to the chagrin of a man and his family next to them. When Kovy danced around that backcheck at full speed and put Patty's pass in the net for the 3-2 lead, the older man just looked at the two loud haters next to him and just shook his head. It was priceless.

The guy is an amazing player, no questions about it. If you cant see it, I'm sorry, but I cannot respect your ability to understand the game. His contract is a separate discussion all together...

Kovy is your A-typical goal scorer- he's got a scorer's ego. He needs to have the puck and bury it. When that happens, his emotional well being skyrockets and so does the team's.

You're right, when he's ON, he's very difficult to contain. When he starts to miss, he gets down on himself...the key to Kovy is to make him feel good about playing and make him feel like he's gonna carry the team. Once that happens, and Kovy is on, watch out-

Parise is not worth Stamkos' money, at least based on the last two seasons.

Bottom line, he can't be paid more than Kovy (on a per-year basis) and certainly not more than Elias on a per-year basis. I think 6.5 to 7 million per season is very generous. Very generous.

If he walks, he walks. It won't be the first time nor the last time that has happened to the Devils.

I don't he would go for less than 7 Mill.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/Parises-Time-Left-in-NJ-Looks-Short-Yotes-grab-Gilbert-Brule-off-waivers/1/41200

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

This comes amidst plenty of talk that Parise isn't thrilled with the current situation in NJ and hasn't been for some time. "Zach wants more playing time and to be the go to guy," a source said, "That has't happened since Kovalchuk arrived."

What Cup contending teams will be able to fit him under the cap if he gets $8 mil like people think he could?

Teams will make changes to fit a player of Zach's caliber.

Anyway as to the question (projected 12-13 Cap Space):

Boston (12), Detroit (24), Rangers (15), Toronto (15), Washington (20), LA (14), Minnesota (20), Dallas (28)

This is as of right now and obviously things can and will change throughout the year, but thats the projected cap space of a few contenders come next offseason. There will be many players for Zach. Obviously a place like Minnesota or Toronto arent necessarily contenders, but they both are likely to call, as are the Isles. This also doesnt take into account the possibility of the cap going up or down + labor crap.

I think a good way to gauge who may be a player for him depends on the moves made at the trade deadline and/or draft.

The Devils are projected to have 24 million in space and we have 9 UFAs this coming offseason.

Edited by ghdi

All this talk of cap hits is irrelevant, really. He could get a 12 year deal worth 60 million where he gets paid $12M in bonus money upon signing his contract. He could get a 5 year deal worth 45 million. He could get a 12 year deal worth 84 million. The way the money is structured is going to be much more important, ultimately, than the cap hit.

The question the Devils have to ask themselves is will Parise's game hold up when he is 35? That's an unanswerable question, but they have to be able to guess. Parise's shot rate is down this year but he's playing with Kovalchuk so I imagine that's natural. I wish DeBoer would separate them so we could see how Parise really is.

lol @ Parise wanting more playing time - Parise is getting 22 minutes a game. He's 3rd in the league among forwards. Any more playing time and he'll fall apart. If he goes somewhere else I bet he gets less ice time. Єklund (2.3% accurate) is the greatest.

Edited by Triumph

Nash's money seems most fair. Great player, but what has he done/won?

this is EXACTLY the comp that I see Parise shooting for. That was an 8 year, $62.4MM deal ($7.8MM cap hit). It was an extension signed when he was 25 and not 27 as Zach is now but they are very similar players stats wise. I think you could conceivably get Parise to sign a bit less if you give him a monster signing bonus that pays before the lockout. To be honest, I'm torn about that kind of a contract. I mean, look, it's not our money and it's not a ridiculous overpayment. It's 12% of the teams available cap (assuming the same $64mm cap). If the cap continues to go up, then its really not an issue. And with if it goes down, there will be a roll back to compensate.

i think there is zero doubt that Parise gets this offer from at least 6 teams that he'd consider (CHI, DET, NYR, NJ, MIN, TOR). I'd think Philly would get involved too. I would expect the Islanders to offer him a ridiculous contract like 10/80 just to try and make a splash and pull at the heart strings of his dad's old club but that would be shocking if he took it. the playoffs are a crap shoot so really, all you can hope is to maximize your chances of getting there. I think Chicago is in the best position to offer that the most over the course of his career based on their current personnel.

Of note, of the top 4 paid guys, 3 of them are centers. And Ovechkin just has a ridiculous deal. I think in terms of relative comparisons, the Parise camp will probably have their best argument in the 7.8 million range.

That having been said, paying Zach 7.8 might be hard to swing with the given make-up of the team. Meaning that if we could invest that (wisely) in the back-end, it might pay off better. I think Tri once noted tho that there are only about 7 D in the whole league who deserve very big money, and those guys are rarely available (Chara and co.).

You don't want to just throw money at a position. But we do need a game changer on the back end like Weber.

Still, when you look at the forwards and realize Patty only has 1 more year left on his 6M deal, if he decides to retire or come back at a discounted rate, it's not so crazy to think Parise & Kovy will be the foundation of our forwards for years to come.

For my money, I love Parise, and I think NJ will try its best to retain him. If not, at least we have 8 million to play with.

If a deal can't be worked out, I'd probably try to trade Parise/Larsson to Nashville for Lindback and Weber. I know it's sacrilege to trade a #3 pick--but that might be an attractive package for a team like Nashville to build around, since Weber is RFA and who knows how long he'll stick around after. Weber heading our D, Lindback in goal, and Kovy, Henrique, Zajac, etc up front... that might look like a good team.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/Parises-Time-Left-in-NJ-Looks-Short-Yotes-grab-Gilbert-Brule-off-waivers/1/41200

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

This comes amidst plenty of talk that Parise isn't thrilled with the current situation in NJ and hasn't been for some time. "Zach wants more playing time and to be the go to guy," a source said, "That has't happened since Kovalchuk arrived."

We dont need Єklund to tell us that. Its quite obvious.

Of note, of the top 4 paid guys, 3 of them are centers. And Ovechkin just has a ridiculous deal. I think in terms of relative comparisons, the Parise camp will probably have their best argument in the 7.8 million range.

That having been said, paying Zach 7.8 might be hard to swing with the given make-up of the team. Meaning that if we could invest that (wisely) in the back-end, it might pay off better. I think Tri once noted tho that there are only about 7 D in the whole league who deserve very big money, and those guys are rarely available (Chara and co.).

You don't want to just throw money at a position. But we do need a game changer on the back end like Weber.

Still, when you look at the forwards and realize Patty only has 1 more year left on his 6M deal, if he decides to retire or come back at a discounted rate, it's not so crazy to think Parise & Kovy will be the foundation of our forwards for years to come.

For my money, I love Parise, and I think NJ will try its best to retain him. If not, at least we have 8 million to play with.

If a deal can't be worked out, I'd probably try to trade Parise/Larsson to Nashville for Lindback and Weber. I know it's sacrilege to trade a #3 pick--but that might be an attractive package for a team like Nashville to build around, since Weber is RFA and who knows how long he'll stick around after. Weber heading our D, Lindback in goal, and Kovy, Henrique, Zajac, etc up front... that might look like a good team.

Except Weber goes RFA after this season and there's no guarantee he stays. So now you're out Larsson, Parise and Weber. Big loss for a team whose D is already pretty fragile.

We dont need Єklund to tell us that. Its quite obvious.

It is quite obvious

Yeah it fits like a glove.. Zach has always been a me first player dying for whatever time in the limelight he could get.. Name one game this season where he was going in with a 2 on 1 and actually passed it off? He wants to be on a team where he is the sole star and can carry a team to the Cup by himself, which is typically easy as we've seen

Especially after last season when Zach had to watch Kovy take over the team and become the new beloved player of fans.. He must have been so angry to see the love Kovy got all season long, and now he wants that from a fan base that actually cares about him..

Edited by Colin226

Єklund (2.3% accurate) must be talking to (N)Єverson again to get his insightful information.

How much more playing time can Parise possibly get? He plays in all situations, is on the PP1 AND PK1, and is the left wing on our first line. He takes a shot in every shootout we're involved in. The only thing Kovy gets that Zach doesn't is garbage time duty with Sestito and Boulton on the 4th line. If he wants that time too, he's being ridiculous! Maybe Parise would be happy to play in goal instead of Marty. That way, he'd play all 60 minutes (you can't get more ice time than that).

If Zach leaves, it will have nothing to do with being Kovy's teammate and everything to do with money.

Isn't that the most preposterious thing you've ever exerienced, colin? It blows my mind that people are so stupid, but I guess that's life.

I've watched, played and now coached hockey for over 20 years. Kovy is a stud, period. Do I get frustrated when he misses the net on the PP and it leads to a breakaway the other way? Sure. Do I grit my teeth when he gives up on a play after making or receiving a sh!tty pass? Absolutely.

BUT. When he's on, he can be the best player in the building. Lemaire obviously made it clear that he needed to play more of a team game when he came here, and you can tell he's trying (and sometimes, fighting) it. These two morons in Sec 20 last game were yelling at him the whole game about how much he sucked...much to the chagrin of a man and his family next to them. When Kovy danced around that backcheck at full speed and put Patty's pass in the net for the 3-2 lead, the older man just looked at the two loud haters next to him and just shook his head. It was priceless.

The guy is an amazing player, no questions about it. If you cant see it, I'm sorry, but I cannot respect your ability to understand the game. His contract is a separate discussion all together...

You're awesome

It is quite obvious

Yeah it fits like a glove.. Zach has always been a me first player dying for whatever time in the limelight he could get.. Name one game this season where he was going in with a 2 on 1 and actually passed it off? He wants to be on a team where he is the sole star and can carry a team to the Cup by himself, which is typically easy as we've seen

Especially after last season when Zach had to watch Kovy take over the team and become the new beloved player of fans.. He must have been so angry to see the love Kovy got all season long, and now he wants that from a fan base that actually cares about him..

Exactly. Parise is a me first player but the problem is that Kovy is the exact same way. While ZP shouldnt be bitter about having to watch Kovy make the team his last year, its human. The fan base does care about him....but we care more about winning then 1 single player. Look at all the hate Kovy gets. You either like him or hate him. Its not about individual players its about the team as a whole and winning the cup. If Parise, which I think is the case, wants to be the "Marty" so to speak of another team then he needs to pack it up because it wont happen here. He has to share the lime light with several other players, IE Kovy, Elias and this season Larsson (which is quickly dieing off). He has alot to think about. I am sure its on his mind after each game.

Exactly. Parise is a me first player but the problem is that Kovy is the exact same way. While ZP shouldnt be bitter about having to watch Kovy make the team his last year, its human. The fan base does care about him....but we care more about winning then 1 single player. Look at all the hate Kovy gets. You either like him or hate him. Its not about individual players its about the team as a whole and winning the cup. If Parise, which I think is the case, wants to be the "Marty" so to speak of another team then he needs to pack it up because it wont happen here. He has to share the lime light with several other players, IE Kovy, Elias and this season Larsson (which is quickly dieing off). He has alot to think about. I am sure its on his mind after each game.

I think Colin was being sarcastic. Parise is anything but a "me first" player.

**Heavy sigh** I've posted much on the topic... does anyone really want to read it again?

did anyone want to read it the first eight times even... :rolleyes:

hmeh -- I'll say it anyhow.

Zach should do whatever Zach wants to do.

You all have to understand and it reads like most do: This is one of those rare times when what is best for Zach if ABSOLUTELY what's best for the team as well.

Does it not follow -

If he stays because he thinks the Devils are winners, it's for the best.

If he leaves because he thinks the Devils are losers, it's for the best!

Edited by Pepperkorn

Єklund (2.3% accurate) must be talking to (N)Єverson again to get his insightful information.

How much more playing time can Parise possibly get? He plays in all situations, is on the PP1 AND PK1, and is the left wing on our first line. He takes a shot in every shootout we're involved in. The only thing Kovy gets that Zach doesn't is garbage time duty with Sestito and Boulton on the 4th line. If he wants that time too, he's being ridiculous! Maybe Parise would be happy to play in goal instead of Marty. That way, he'd play all 60 minutes (you can't get more ice time than that).

If Zach leaves, it will have nothing to do with being Kovy's teammate and everything to do with money.

Per NHL.com total ice time for the New Jersey Devils

1 Zach Parise 903:46

2 Ilya Kovalchuk 887:02

Edited by Maddog