Brodeur's Son Chip Off The Old Blocker

Quinn01

The 16-year-old goaltender at Shattuck-St. Mary’s boarding school in Fairbault, Minn., is enjoying a successful season as an 11th grader. His style and his stats would undoubtedly draw attention from scouts under ordinary circumstances.

For this enthusiastic young athlete, however, ordinary has a different meaning. His father is an NHL goalie. You may have heard of him. Dad’s name is Martin Brodeur, and he is bursting with pride about his eldest son, Anthony.

“One of the things in my mind is to be able to be with him. I can’t wait to have the time to go and help him out, talk to him, be there and watch him. To be part of what he’s trying to accomplish,” the Devils’ 39-year-old goalie said.

“Even if he doesn’t get to the NHL. Even if he goes to college or decides to go the junior route, it’s pretty cool. It’s your son. It’s what I did all my life and what my dad did.”

“It has to be difficult because of the nature of people,” Brodeur said. “(Anthony) gets it all the time. He says, ‘Dad, you should’ve heard what this kid told me the other day.’ But he had it from an early age.

“One of his coaches in minor hockey said, ‘If you want, we’ll just put his first name on the back of his jersey.’ I said, ‘He’s

going to have to live with this. There’s no way you’re not putting my last name there.’ ”

According to Brodeur, Anthony is 5-10, 175 pounds, although he is listed as 5-11, 177. Dad was 5-10, 168 at that age.

In 18 games for the prep squad, Anthony is 15-2-1 with four shutouts and a 2.29 goals-against average. Late last month he helped Shattuck win the gold at the first world sport school challenge in Calgary. His style?

“He’s in-between. He’s a little more new school than me, that’s for sure,” Brodeur said. “He asks a lot of questions. More and more, actually. He watches highlights of me and other goalies and asks questions about different styles. What kind of equipment I wear and how I wear it. How I get prepared for a game. It’s pretty cool.

Best part of the article:

“He likes that Pekka Rinne, I think. I had to ask for a stick for him.”

Will he stack his pads like dad?

“For sure he will,” Brodeur said. “If not, I’m going to take his name off.”

NJ.com

Edited by Quinn01

Me either, but it's certainly fun to think about!

i wouldnt count on this kid actually being legit NHL goalie prospect

I agree... I just meant if he becomes a draftable prospect... say 7th round, do you think the Devs take him with a 6th round as a legacy signing and really, favor to Papa Brodeur?

Great interview, I think his kids are going to have every opportunity and choice of equipment I never had.. Lol. Think about it, if they want to play hockey and one chooses defense well just talk with Uncle Scott or Uncle Dano must be nice.

All kidding aside its nice to see his interests with his dads support!

Edited by Devs1965

I agree... I just meant if he becomes a draftable prospect... say 7th round, do you think the Devs take him with a 6th round as a legacy signing and really, favor to Papa Brodeur?

Well Rinne was the last pick of the 8th round in 2004...

awww... just to think that we picked Leblond-Letourneau, Eckford and Perkovich with our two 7round picks and 8th round pick when we could have draft Streit, campoli, Yip or Rinne... sigh

Edited by SterioDesign

awww... just to think that we picked Leblond-Letourneau, Eckford and Perkovich with our two 7round picks and 8th round pick when we could have draft Streit, campoli, Yip or Rinne... sigh

It becomes a crapshoot more and more each round.

If the Devils had picked up Rinne in that draft, he'd have ended up as a second Jeff Frazee, guaranteed.

heh