• Brodeur
    • Elias
    • Nierdermayer
    • Stevens
    • Rafalski
    • Daneyko
    • Lemieux
    • Others... who/why ?

let's say we could magically bring back to 18-19 years old any of those guys right now for our future... who would it be?

i was just thinking about it myself and figured i could make a poll about it to see what everyone here think

i think with our situation right now, it would have to be Marty i guess... can't go on with him really, my 2nd choice would be either Nierdermayer or Stevens... with today's NHL i'd probably go for Nieds...

While Stevens is a close second mostly based on emotion, I chose Marty #1. Getting a young stud goalie that will serve you at that high level for 2 decades is a no brainer, unless you mean Mario in the last choice.

Stevens, although it was a tough one between him and Nieds.

Considering the construction of the modern game today, Nieds would probably be more effective, and its an area in which we are lacking. But Stevens is who i think of when people mention the Devils. And he brings things to the ice that no one else can.

While Stevens is a close second mostly based on emotion, I chose Marty #1. Getting a young stud goalie that will serve you at that high level for 2 decades is a no brainer, unless you mean Mario in the last choice.

this.

Id bring back Gio, Martin, Rafalski, and Neids. MAYBE Oduya. Mainly defense. I think we let alot of good solid dmen walk when it should have been a priority to let them stay. Not that our D is bad, they arent what they could be/we could have.

Stevens is a solid man to bring back also. A "no bullsh!t take no prisoners" kind of guy that was still talented with the sport and not just a gooner which I think this team needs.

If the Lemieux you have in that last choice is Mario, then he's the obvious winner with the ability he would have transform our offense in the modern NHL. I'm guessing it's Claude though, since this is a topic about Devils guys. In that case it would be Nieds. He was amazing back then, and could potentially be even better now.

Stevens.. and it's not even close.

Scotty was just one of those rare players, that come around once a generation. Many aspects of his game never showed up on a stats sheet, but they were game-changers. Actually that's not even fair to say.. they were 'playoff-series' changers.

..one of the greatest Captains all-time, in ANY sport.

Zach Parise... can't have enough of Parise on your team, followed by Brodeur and Nieds.

I worry how Stevens would be in todays game... and at what age his true offensive d-man game goes (difficult to say since he changed his game to fill a Devils role).

Thing of it is Stevens wouldn't be the same player or hitter in the new NHL.

He never took a cheap shot penalty for hitting because he paid attention and adapted to all circumstances. Both he and Niedermayer have that insane competitive streak. You'll sacrifice ego to win. and you have a clear enough head that you can see the weak choices - and the discipline to not give in to them.

I'm not sure which I'd choose. Stevens dogged loyalty is just huge for me. He has less extraneous mental garbage than Nieds. In turn, Nieds can see some sublties that Stevens can't.

Stevens tries to do too much himself. Niedermayer gives up too easily if the road isn't clear enough.

They both get hurt feelings :rolleyes: but they both suck it up - mostly to prove a point though...

It all came easier to Niedermayer on many levels. Stevens work ethic gave him more mental stamina year in year out - he knew how to rest and recharge - he knew how to hit the reset button once a goal was achieved. Niedermayer kind of lost focus - he's not a repeat kind of guy and it's not as easy for him to find the freshness of it all - a new take.

They're pretty equal.

I want them both back - there!