Wow.. LeBrun says we're exciting!

Exit56

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13853/rant-answers-devils-ducks-and-all-stars

smormando14: Can we finally say "enough with the boring Devils hockey" comments? On special teams, it's very likely someone is going to score in a Devils game. They throw two forecheckers in rather than sit at the blue line and wait. They're not a boring team anymore!

My take: Agreed! One of my favorite teams to watch this season. Under Pete DeBoer, they’re playing a nice brand. They’re a quick-transition team. Anyone who says the Devils are boring isn’t really watching.

He also takes on the Kovy-Haters. Nice to see something positive out of the Entertainment and Sports network, considering what we've had to put up with over the past few years.

I personally like how we have a chance to come back in a game now.. that's a welcome change.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13853/rant-answers-devils-ducks-and-all-stars

He also takes on the Kovy-Haters. Nice to see something positive out of the Entertainment and Sports network, considering what we've had to put up with over the past few years.

I personally like how we have a chance to come back in a game now.. that's a welcome change.

Once we're healthy...we could really bloom into a strong team.

Now if we could fill up the Rock every game, and get all our ownership issues settled, we'll be flying high again.

Once we're healthy...we could really bloom into a strong team.

Now if we could fill up the Rock every game, and get all our ownership issues settled, we'll be flying high again.

I hate to be negative, but we will never fill our building consistantly. Our fanbase lacks in number of casual fans. - compared to NYR, NYI and PHI. We're almost an outcast franchise... and I'm fine with that. But I don't think you will ever see this a truely self-sufficient franchise - money wise. We need a strong owner who can support us as basically a "small" market team in a big market.

I hate to be negative, but we will never fill our building consistantly. Our fanbase lacks in number of casual fans. - compared to NYR, NYI and PHI. We're almost an outcast franchise... and I'm fine with that. But I don't think you will ever see this a truely self-sufficient franchise - money wise. We need a strong owner who can support us as basically a "small" market team in a big market.

While that's true keep in mind we're sandwiched in between two major franchises that existed sometime before us. There might not be enough of a fan base to go around.

But rest assured there's tons of Devils fans all over the country. I'm sure if they all moved to the Tri City area the Rock would be sold out every night.

I did say "if" we could fill up the Rock

but as far as including the Islanders as having more casual fans than us, I think you're wrong there, our attendance averages about 3k more per game than they do, and there is always the possibility they move one day (I said possibility)

Pierre is a good dude always responds on twitter and likes the Devils.

Yeah, Burnside is the tool. Worse than (N)Єverson (who actually does some spot-on reporting from time to time). LeBrun's OK.

I think it's kinda funny that, further down, there's a butt-hurt Devils fan complaining about LeBrun hating on the Devils when LeBrun never actually did. Sometimes we really do try too hard to find anti-Devils sentiment.

The Islanders are near or at the bottom of attendance--what does that make them? And we may not fill the arena every night but they haven't done anything to get the place filled constantly. As MantaRay said you put the 2000-2001 Devils in the Rock they WILL sell out nearly every night regardless of the excuses.

Yeah, Burnside is the tool. Worse than (N)Єverson (who actually does some spot-on reporting from time to time). LeBrun's OK.

I think it's kinda funny that, further down, there's a butt-hurt Devils fan complaining about LeBrun hating on the Devils when LeBrun never actually did. Sometimes we really do try too hard to find anti-Devils sentiment.

Agreed on Burnside. I cannot stand that guy.

True and sad. But what is a team in Jersey supposed to do?

Let me answer my own question by saying ..win championships.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I agree that our utter lack of casual fans is the biggest reason why the Rock is rarely sold out. However, the Islanders fanbase is worse than the Devils, and in no way should be compared to the Flyers and Rangers (who sell out every night). Plus, our TV ratings are right up there with the top American markets - and this is the main reason why our TV deal on MSG is soo lucrative.

How can you hate Scott Burnside? His reporting is always fair and balanced, he never has anything bad to say about the Devils, their players, and their fans, and his video blogs on ESPN dot COOOOOOMMMM are some of the most insightful pieces of journalism of this generation. :giggle:

You know what... you're right. I'm such an ass!! whistling.gif

I watched that "Faceoff" video the other day where they debated about Parise leaving... Burnside is just oh so convinced that he will leave, as if their best bro's or something. It's like is this really what passes for journalism now? And then I stop and realize you know what: It is my fault for going to ESPN.com to begin with. lol

Yea, I was thinking of Burnside.

I never (well, rarely) read or watch ESPN, so... :noclue:

Speaking of ESPN, i was passing by a TV that had it on the other day and when I first saw it it was "Around the Horn" and they were talking hockey. When I looked again 5 minutes later...they were still talking hockey, it was a bit of shock to me. Has anyone noticed more attention being payed to the NHL by ESPN because I haven't tuned in, in years?

Edited by ben00rs

Speaking of ESPN, i was passing by a TV that had it on the other day and when I first saw it it was "Around the Horn" and they were talking hockey. When I looked again 5 minutes later...they were still talking hockey, it was a bit of shock to me. Has anyone noticed more attention being payed to the NHL by ESPN because I haven't tuned in, in years?

Yeah I've noticed the same o ESPN in general but they especially give it coverage on ATH.. Those guys actually know some stuff although they only stick to big names and big teams

I did say "if" we could fill up the Rock

but as far as including the Islanders as having more casual fans than us, I think you're wrong there, our attendance averages about 3k more per game than they do, and there is always the possibility they move one day (I said possibility)

What hurts the Isles; they have been a sh!t team forever now (with a spot playoff appearance here and there). I know a lot more Islander fans in the NY area, than I do Devs fans... but you don't show up to watch a sh!tty team, and you don't watch them on tv... Try years of November 2010 Devils hockey... it's going to hurt.

I think we're fine... the new arena is much easier to get to for me, although I still don't want to hang out in Newark which is disappointing. I'm very much get to the parking garage, walk to the stadium, get back to the car... or train... but I tend to drive in. I don't think we'd sell out every night though - even with a 00-01 squad on the ice. But the playoff revenue would definitely help :)

We really need to keep Zach - or somehow replace him; which won't happen. Kovy is doing great now, but snipers are streaky. But its fun watching the Devils play, no doubt.

Edited by aylbert

What hurts the Islanders is (still) Mike Milbury.

I mean comeon... Louongo is still playing (for another team), if nothing else.

What hurts the Isles; they have been a sh!t team forever now (with a spot playoff appearance here and there). I know a lot more Islander fans in the NY area, than I do Devs fans... but you don't show up to watch a sh!tty team, and you don't watch them on tv... Try years of November 2010 Devils hockey... it's going to hurt.

I think we're fine... the new arena is much easier to get to for me, although I still don't want to hang out in Newark which is disappointing. I'm very much get to the parking garage, walk to the stadium, get back to the car... or train... but I tend to drive in. I don't think we'd sell out every night though - even with a 00-01 squad on the ice. But the playoff revenue would definitely help :)

We really need to keep Zach - or somehow replace him; which won't happen. Kovy is doing great now, but snipers are streaky. But its fun watching the Devils play, no doubt.

In all honesty dude this is your own fault.. With Uber Burger, BCBnG, Loft 47, and Edison Ale House all within 10 yards of the building there is literally no excuse to go straight from your car into the arena.. I understand the crime statistics in Newark but they rarely happen in that area of the city, and can you name me one time someone was robbed or assaulted before/after attending a game?

Edited by Colin226
  • Like 1

Im sure they were talking about some brawl that happened, or whether the glow-puck should come back.

or whether the glow-puck should come back.

:lol: