Elias still overlooked

Neb00rs

Thought it a good time to vent on this with him having another big game. I mean, it's amazing he still gets overlooked. First, he gets passed over for the All-Star game, his play is never mentioned or talked about this year on hockey websites and NHL.com's latest fantasy rankings has him at 92nd - all for a guy who has been well into the top 25 in scoring for weeks now. It's just ridiculous.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=610668

Oh and he's now 12th in the league in scoring.

Edited by ben00rs

I can agree with that, but flying under the radar is kinda his thing...

I think that he thrives on it a bit, actually. He's got that joker/class clown personality, so... I don't know. It just seems to work for him.

Believing in the Elias is what got me to the top of Hotbox fantasy for the first half, IMO. He's really been under the radar for the league and I still think some Devils fans wouldn't guess that he leads the team in points and is second in goals.

You'd think he wouldn't fly under the radar for the second half, though - it's as if he's being ignored. But I know what you mean - for some reason it doesn't seem like he leads the team in points...and the 17 goals...forget it.

He's done this ("this" being playing great while flying under the radar) before too. He's done it pretty much his whole career, actually.

I don't really know what it is about him, but he's kinda... forgettable?

That doesn't seem right, but it's the best I can come up with.

Love the guy.

Pure class.

I think one of the reasons he seems to be ignored/undervalued in the league is because he has been doing it for so long. He isn't new to the league h has played like this before, you have all these young guys coming through, they are emerging tallents like Elias once was , and you get all the associated hype.

There isnt the hype about Patty anymore, if someone turned around and said to you he was going to be in the top 30 in scoring in the league it wouldn't really supprise you (although a few years ago when it seemed a lot of people were ready to write him off and trade him it might have).

However 92nd in the fantasy leauge, wow.

i thought the same thing last night...wishing as a fan that he would get into the hall of fame and get the recognition....its amazing how good the 94' draft was for the devils even if most of the picks didn't spend their careers here...elias was the best player to come out of that draft other then maybe than daniel alfredsson

if he can keep up this pace or even if his numbers trail off and plays till 38 he will easily get over 1000 pts and with 3 rings i think he should make

He's done this ("this" being playing great while flying under the radar) before too. He's done it pretty much his whole career, actually.

I don't really know what it is about him, but he's kinda... forgettable?

That doesn't seem right, but it's the best I can come up with.

Forgettable is definitely not the appropriate word.

its amazing how good the 94' draft was for the devils even if most of the picks didn't spend their careers here...elias was the best player to come out of that draft other then maybe than daniel alfredsson

You know, that's a good point. I hadn't really thought of the draft class itself.

Forgettable is definitely not the appropriate word.

Yea.

Just trying to say that he's got that "fly's under the radar" personality trait.

I really believe that it's more about his personality than "lack of hype" or some such thing. I mean... he's just so self-deprecating, you know?

I think he's a player that is respected by almost every GM, HC, and player in the league. Just because we don't see his face plastered over NHL.com ... ("BREAKING NEWS: PATRIK ELIAS ON ICE FOR MORNING SKATE") doesn't mean he's overlooked. Underrated, under the radar, yes I can certainly agree with that, but that's fine with me. Everyone loves an underdog!

I like to call this the "EA Sports Effect."

Just because Patrik doesn't deke four guys, jump over a defensman, score on a Spin-o-Rama, and then launch himself into the glass in celebration, he doesn't get any attention from the people that look at Ovechkin, et al.

The younger generation is especially guilty of this.

I don't think Elias was disrespected by not being chosen for the all-star game. He's had few really good games lately that's jumped him from around 30th to the 12th in scoring. But it is so bunched up that he could fall to 25th in one night. That being said, he's having a great season

Elias has quietly flowed under the radar for years, especially this year it seems. Even last night, he had the quietest 3 point night imaginable. But at the same time, some off years and injuries have made it so. He hasn't put up 80 points since 2003-2004, so if people aren't screaming about Elias, it is kind of understanding. However, I have heard a ton of opponent's broadcasters compliment him all throughout the year saying how good and underrated he is.

I always felt Elias and Daniel Alfredsson were very similar. Both have quiet games and aren't very flashy, but both are very smart and creative, hardworking players. Neither probably get the recognition they deserve.

If you're not a Devils fan or in the division (get to see him play a lot) you're not going to notice Elias, because he's not that marketable. He's European, shy, and tries to balance honesty with protecting his teammates. In other words, he's a lousy quote with an accent. A guy like Kovy can make up for the accent by enthusiastically shouting soundbites (this is team, support us we're gonna win it all), but Elias won't resort to that. Throw in the fact that Marty and Zach are both spectacular quotes and seem to love being on camera, and he's been overshadowed in his own locker room.

If popularity/recognition were based on what happens on the ice, Elias would get a lot more attention, and the people who know hockey die hards, media, player and staff) all have a huge amount of respect for him. The casual fans aren't going to notice him, and the league isn't going to push him, but I doubt he cares much about that anyway.

Hall of fame? I will say I do not know squat about the statistical milestones necessary to make the hockey hall of fame. In fact it is the hall of fame I know the least about in terms of criteria. I found this from a puckdaddy article http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Hockey-Hall-of-Fame-selection-farce-and-how-we-?urn=nhl,250687

"The forwards and defensemen listed have registered at least 400 NHL goals, or 1,000 NHL points, or have won 6 Stanley Cup titles or 2 Canada/World Cup titles, or are members of the "Triple Gold Club" (winners of the World Championship, Canada/World Cup, and the Stanley Cup).

The goaltenders listed have played a minimum 500 NHL regular season games and have either won over 250 NHL games or have recorded 50 or more shutouts in the NHL.

So he isn't there yet, but he most likely will be when he retires.

I think he's a player that is respected by almost every GM, HC, and player in the league. Just because we don't see his face plastered over NHL.com ... ("BREAKING NEWS: PATRIK ELIAS ON ICE FOR MORNING SKATE") doesn't mean he's overlooked. Underrated, under the radar, yes I can certainly agree with that, but that's fine with me. Everyone loves an underdog!

That completely distorts what I was saying.

That completely distorts what I was saying.

I wasn't replying directly to your post, or trying to imply that was what you meant. I was just embellishing the idea that he will never be one of those guys that seems to get the attention of the media like some do... for whatever reason. He just goes out there every night and produces consistently. He embodies the word team, and he's one of those guys that you want out there in every single situation imaginable. Maybe the media will never recognize that fully, but we do, and I guess that's what matters.

Hall of fame? I will say I do not know squat about the statistical milestones necessary to make the hockey hall of fame. In fact it is the hall of fame I know the least about in terms of criteria. I found this from a puckdaddy article http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Hockey-Hall-of-Fame-selection-farce-and-how-we-?urn=nhl,250687

"The forwards and defensemen listed have registered at least 400 NHL goals, or 1,000 NHL points, or have won 6 Stanley Cup titles or 2 Canada/World Cup titles, or are members of the "Triple Gold Club" (winners of the World Championship, Canada/World Cup, and the Stanley Cup).

The goaltenders listed have played a minimum 500 NHL regular season games and have either won over 250 NHL games or have recorded 50 or more shutouts in the NHL.

So he isn't there yet, but he most likely will be when he retires.

i hope so...i get the feeling even though he's shy and laid back he enjoy's being recognized just as much as the next...also i like his honesty and would look forward to his speech

I honestly don't think that it bothers Elias himself.

I don't think he is overlooked. He was our offensive leader for years and was always at least in the discussion as a top 5 LW before the lockout. As others said, there is clearly respect out there by most GMs, coaches and players...