2013 Winter Classic coming to the Big House?

DaneykoIsGod

Didn't see this here. Puck Daddy's got the 411 ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/six-reasons-maple-leafs-vs-red-wings-2013-155419397.html

As Puck Daddy reported last week, the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maples are on at the Big House at the University of Michigan for the 2013 Winter Classic.

Ansar Khan of MLive.com writes that the deal has been "finalized," marking the first time a Canadian team will compete in the NHL's U.S.-based outdoor hockey event — albeit one with no less than eight American players on the roster.

100,000+ fans? With a pretty good mix from both teams? Could be pretty gosh darn interesting.

At least they are doing it in a football stadium this time. So much smarter to hold it in a football stadium than a baseball stadium.

Stadium.

:lol:

Actually I never thought of it that way. Just the way Football Stadium's seating is set up, it makes more sense. You would have generally the same view anywhere.

I'm kinda surprised about this, actually. Weren't we just talking about how there's never going to be a Canadian team participating in the Winter Classic?

This was interesting:

'Twas a time when the Peacock could dictate terms for the Winter Classic, keeping out a Canadian team out of concern that losing the ratings from one of the two markets in the game would torpedo the overall viewership.

The numbers could take a hit, for sure: This isn't like the Stanley Cup Final, where all of New England helped make up the difference for a Canadian market being on the other side of the ratings equation.

But the ratings are immaterial for this game; and, frankly, they might be for subsequent Classics unless they perilously dip

I just think that the Winter Classic should be about promoting the sport of hockey in the USA by using American teams with good national draw.. Fact of the matter is that hockey is THE sport in Canada and could not possibly become more popular.. But even where it's big in the USA, it's not the biggest sport.. Philly loves the Flyers, but the Eagles and Phillies (more recently) run that town.. New York has a ton of Rangers fans, but are nothing compared to the Yankees.. Heck, the Lions have sold out for years despite losing nearly every game every season (past season aside).. The Red Wings could not get that good of a following if they were consistently the worst team in the league.. Pittsburgh loves the Pens but they are all about the Steelers there..

Point is, hockey needs to be promoted more in the USA with big events that get casual and new fans to watch in addition to just American fans in general.. The Olympics were huge for USA hockey and we need to build on that.. Giving a Canadian team a spot in the WC takes one away from a US city that would otherwise be in it.. Plus, a lot of Americans view hockey as "that Canadian sport" and so they don't care as much about it.. This would play into that stigma even more

Things like this generate excitement in the USA for hockey.. Canada could not get more excited about hockey as it is, so why are we including their teams in this game? Makes no sense and it just plays into every Canadian's dream of a 100% Canadian NHL

At least they are doing it in a football stadium this time. So much smarter to hold it in a football stadium than a baseball stadium.

Stadium.

Agreed. Fenway/Wrigley are obvious exceptions for their legendary statuses. But Citizens Bank Park? Who came up with that?! Also, glad its a jewel of a football stadium theyre picking, as well. Largest stadium in the country, oozes with history. (I still cant believe Heinz Field was chosen over Beaver Stadium a couple years back).

Also agree with Colin with not really wanting the Leafs. Canada cant love hockey any more (one reason i was so against the Winnipeg move). It adds nothing to the event in terms of growth. The Leafs arent needed to fill the stadium when the Wings are involved.

Edited by devlman

I just think that the Winter Classic should be about promoting the sport of hockey in the USA by using American teams with good national draw.. Fact of the matter is that hockey is THE sport in Canada and could not possibly become more popular.. But even where it's big in the USA, it's not the biggest sport.. Philly loves the Flyers, but the Eagles and Phillies (more recently) run that town.. New York has a ton of Rangers fans, but are nothing compared to the Yankees.. Heck, the Lions have sold out for years despite losing nearly every game every season (past season aside).. The Red Wings could not get that good of a following if they were consistently the worst team in the league.. Pittsburgh loves the Pens but they are all about the Steelers there..

Point is, hockey needs to be promoted more in the USA with big events that get casual and new fans to watch in addition to just American fans in general.. The Olympics were huge for USA hockey and we need to build on that.. Giving a Canadian team a spot in the WC takes one away from a US city that would otherwise be in it.. Plus, a lot of Americans view hockey as "that Canadian sport" and so they don't care as much about it.. This would play into that stigma even more

Things like this generate excitement in the USA for hockey.. Canada could not get more excited about hockey as it is, so why are we including their teams in this game? Makes no sense and it just plays into every Canadian's dream of a 100% Canadian NHL

You're a little misguided with the every Canadian's dream of a 100% Canadian NHL. That quote itself makes you sound silly. The fact is the NHL wants to make a ton of money. Detroit-Toronto gives them the best chance of that. We are talking about a stadium that fits 110,000 people. That is way over double this year's game and over 3 times the amount at Fenway. Add a massive Alumni game, and this thing will be the biggest ever. Now how can you sell out that game? By bringing thousands and thousands of Leafs fans, many that can't even get tickets in Toronto to watch their team play. No other team besides Montreal is going to do that for them. Add that it is a historic Original 6 matchup and it works.

I think in time the NHL will continue to get to more cities, but we are already hearing that the Capitals will be hosting one soon and the Rangers will have their turn once the Pinstripe Bowl is done. The game is still be played in the US like it always will. I'm hoping St Louis and Minny get their turn soon. And if anything, this game is showing that it isn't about NBC and ratings anymore, which is good for many different teams to have a chance.

You're a little misguided with the every Canadian's dream of a 100% Canadian NHL. That quote itself makes you sound silly. The fact is the NHL wants to make a ton of money. Detroit-Toronto gives them the best chance of that. We are talking about a stadium that fits 110,000 people. That is way over double this year's game and over 3 times the amount at Fenway. Add a massive Alumni game, and this thing will be the biggest ever. Now how can you sell out that game? By bringing thousands and thousands of Leafs fans, many that can't even get tickets in Toronto to watch their team play. No other team besides Montreal is going to do that for them. Add that it is a historic Original 6 matchup and it works.

I think in time the NHL will continue to get to more cities, but we are already hearing that the Capitals will be hosting one soon and the Rangers will have their turn once the Pinstripe Bowl is done. The game is still be played in the US like it always will. I'm hoping St Louis and Minny get their turn soon. And if anything, this game is showing that it isn't about NBC and ratings anymore, which is good for many different teams to have a chance.

Obviously I was exaggerating although it's an absolute fact that Canadians are very egocentric when it comes to hockey.. That's an absolute fact and was the point of what I said..

I guess if they really want to make bank for the next Winter Classic then I can be okay with this (since yes, it will take a lot to fill that stadium), but I don't want to see it become US team vs Canadian team more than once every 5+ seasons.. I want this event to be something to generate interest in hockey in the US.. Leafs fans won't (and couldn't possibly) care more about hockey because of this..

Real Leafs fans can't get in the building because only companies can afford the price of season tickets, save the uppers.. They've been priced out of their own building, which is why the lower level looks more like a business convention than a sporting event.. That's sad

Edited by Colin226

Detroit - Toronto is a great matchup. They're close geographically and it has historical reference.

I can see moaning if the Canadian team was Winnipeg or even Calgary, but Toronto has a very far reach. If marketed, it could also create a USA vs Canada type of thing (despite the Leafs best player being an American, an American coach, etc) for the casual fan, which will already be in place in many respects.

Useless arguing against the inclusion of the Maple Leafs. Them or the Habs should be no complaint.