Andy Greene trade options

mouse

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this i disagree with. greene's a known commodity and the years left aren't that big a deal because of the injury. it's a toe - not a knee or something like that.

I think it's a lot fairer to to say that because of the reasons Triumph listed, his stock isn't where it could be.

Let's not forget that before Greene was injured he was on pace for somewhere around 40 points so even though the team has done well without him it isn't as though Greene was having a bad season.

On what planet is 9 assists over 23 games on pace for 40 points over an entire season? He was on pace for more like 30 points, which is just about the same as what he put up last year. Greene is good for anywhere between 25-35 points over a full season, which isn't bad, but right now we have Larsson, who's on pace to hit that number or better and Foster, who can probably hit 25-30 points as well. This team doesn't need more mediocre d-men in terms of offensive output, what it needs is a 40+ point d-man, someone who isn't out of place in any team's top 4 and can make good passes out of our zone, rush the puck and score 40-50 points in a season.

Greene is definitely better than Foster, but he's still not a top 4 guy on most NHL teams and even on our team, he probably slots in on the bottom pairing once he gets back since Tallinder, Fayne, Volchenkov and Salvador will probably occupy the top 4, with maybe Vochenkov ending up paired with Greene once he's back to 100%, since Larsson has played well with Salvador. Greene is still imo, more like a #5-6 to me, who can be a mid pairing guy in a pinch when someone gets injured.

If he can be moved to acquire a top pairing offensive d-man with some sort of package including a pick an/or prospect, then I would be all for it, but unless we can get someone who is at least a #2 d-man, it's not worth it. No sense in trading someone who's at least a known quantity to us for another mediocre defenseman.

I don't care very much about points by a defenseman and I don't see why it's such a big deal. Goals by defensemen I do care about, but points? At even strength, most defensemen are the same. So it all comes down to the power play, where the Devils traditionally don't draw penalties and aren't particularly good.

The kind of defenseman you're describing becomes available almost never, and certainly isn't available for Andy Greene or any package involving him. Nor do I think acquiring that sort of defenseman for the stretch drive is a particularly good idea.

I don't care very much about points by a defenseman and I don't see why it's such a big deal. Goals by defensemen I do care about, but points? At even strength, most defensemen are the same. So it all comes down to the power play, where the Devils traditionally don't draw penalties and aren't particularly good.

The kind of defenseman you're describing becomes available almost never, and certainly isn't available for Andy Greene or any package involving him. Nor do I think acquiring that sort of defenseman for the stretch drive is a particularly good idea.

I certainly don't expect to see this team able to package Greene in a trade and somehow get back a top pairing, offensive d-man. I think my point was more that trading Greene didn't make a whole lot of sense, unless you could get a big upgrade on defense as a return, which is a return that, Greene alone, will not get that for us, but if we're talking about a trade with a team in firesale mode, a package of Greene, a prospect and a pick could bring that kind of return. The question is whether it's worth losing a prospect and what's likely to need to be a 2nd rounder and Greene, is worth bringing in a d-man that could just be a rental.

Imo, it's not worth it, unless we get a guy who's an established top pairing guy and is either signed to a multi year deal that's within our budget or is clearly someone that could be resigned with ease by us. It would really have to be someone good and not an overaged, declining in skill d-man that is not going to benefit us as much as that pick and prospect would have in another couple years.