Hedberg's future

ohms law

I don't think its about the Caps. I think whichever decent team offers him the most cash and years will be the team he signs with. I think with Brodeur's $5 million coming off the cap the Devils have to be in the mix.

Vokoun signed with the Caps for low money to win. He's going to go somewhere where he still thinks he has a chance to. But with Holtby about ready to come up, I don't know if Washington will want him back.

So you think that he's just going to be a pure mercenary? Do we really want to sign that kind of player, if that's how he actually feels?

My sense though is that he's happy with the Caps, and the Caps seem to be satisfied with him, so I really don't expect him to be on the open market. That's just my guess, though.

Vokoun has been a top goalie for a decade. It's not his fault he has been on bad teams. I don't think he signed with Florida in 2007 because he thought they were on the cusp of a Stanley Cup. He did it for the money and who can blame him. Him signing with Washington was probably partially about winning but if they continue having a so-so year I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to jump ship to a different team, including New Jersey.

As far do I want a 'mercenary' - why not? Which player, aside from Brodeur and Elias, is on the Devils because they genuinely love the Devils and not because, for a mix of reasons, better opportunities are not available. Vokoun is still a professional and if he can bring us the .920+ SV% he always has, then sign me up!

Edited by StormJosh

None of the Devils' minor league goalies are having the kind of season where the Devils' brass could think about using them in the NHL next year. Problem is, I don't think Hedberg's having the kind of season where they could think about that either.

I'm not looking for them to be the starters... but I think we should defintely start rotating them into games to give them a taste, season them a bit... If we're just going to pair off Brodeur with a stopgap veteran... I'd rather have us go out and get an NHL ready goalie with youth on his side... and groom him to be our starter.

I don't disagree with the assessment of Vokoun's talent, and I don't think that anyone else does either, which is part of the problem when talking about him (in terms of potential free agent signings).

In my opinion "a mercenary" is different from what you're talking about. It's not about "who loves the Devils" (incidentally, that's a category that I'd place Parise and Kovalchuck in as well, just to mention two prominent examples off the top of my head) as much as who can be a team player. If you really think that Vokoun is the type of guy who would play for whoever happens to offer him the biggest contract then I'll say it straight out that the Devils will not be one of those teams. Lou won't sign that sort of player, in my experience watching what he does.

I don't disagree with the assessment of Vokoun's talent, and I don't think that anyone else does either, which is part of the problem when talking about him (in terms of potential free agent signings).

In my opinion "a mercenary" is different from what you're talking about. It's not about "who loves the Devils" (incidentally, that's a category that I'd place Parise and Kovalchuck in as well, just to mention two prominent examples off the top of my head) as much as who can be a team player. If you really think that Vokoun is the type of guy who would play for whoever happens to offer him the biggest contract then I'll say it straight out that the Devils will not be one of those teams. Lou won't sign that sort of player, in my experience watching what he does.

I don't think a guy who plays for money is mutually exclusive from a team player. I think Vokoun will go for contract security now that he is in the 35+ age range which makes securing longer deals very difficult. I honestly don't know if Vokoun is the type of person to go wherever for the money, I have no clue. But, if he's like the majority of people out there, he wants to make a good salary and be on a good team. I think the Devils can offer him both of those things and be in the mix to sign him. I think he would be a perfect stop gap. Or, if he doesn't work out, I'm cool with Nabokov. After that, the names get really thin.

Fixed, thanks. I'll just ignore the impotent snark. :rolleyes:

There's always the idea that Vokoun would accept a sliiightly lower salary for the chance of being on a good team...in order to keep posting good numbers and thus prolonging his perceived value as a goaltender. NJ would be a good fit for that.

Isn't that what he's doing with the Caps already?

i dont see whats wrong with both back for next year; plus the rooks can come up for their 10 games or whatever; then the team knows whats up and what to expect, they havent been that bad, im not for renting a D man, but defenitly a D man who fits in and sparks that last cylinder.

See though, that's what's kinda confusing me about what you said earlier. If he's already playing with a lower salary than he wants... well, I suppose that the argument could be made that if he did it once then he'll likely do it again. I wouldn't count on it though, especially with the relatively poor goaltender free agent pool coming up.

Edited by ohms law

I like Moose, and would like to see him sign for another season. Plus, I'm waiting for the announcement that we traded Parise for Elliott and Oshie LOL (only kidding folks, no need to bite off my head here)

if we could package him in a monster deal for a new franchise goalie im obviously all for it.

BUTTT although I care a little bit about his future, when I think Goalie status for the Devils I ONLY think of how bad we need to sure up the situation with a new franchise G