Tedenby

ohms law

I see that Tedenby wasn't on the practice lines today. There's been some comments about him being done at this point, as well.

What do you guys think, is he finished with the NHL club for a while? Should he be?

Personally, I think that this isn't a terrible move. I don't think that AHL time will help him, but he's not helping the team during games so it's either to the AHL with him or you scratch him all the time. It's a shame, but it seems pretty obvious that he's not able to compete at the NHL level right now. He's just too small, unfortunately.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's suffering a really terrible sophomore slump. At this point he's got 0 confidence. He needs to go to the AHL and play with boys for a while so that he can start putting up points and have confidence in his game again.

For all intents and purposes, I think he's done with us for this season. I'd be shocked if we see him again before next year.

I agree, sending him to the AHL won't do anything for him. Obiviosuly his size is a problem but I don't think it means he can't product at all (martin st.louis).

The kid has speed, stick skills, and skating ability. He does seem to be off balance quite a lot and a bit...lost sometimes?

If he isn't on the big club I'd rather seem him traded because the kid has potential and could be a great player down the road.

Then again, you have to give him time. Not every player begins producing at the start got to give him time, also, take him off of the ice with Clarkson. I want to see him with Elias for a little.

GOTTA LOVE TEDDY!

I don't think you can call him a bust at this point. He put up some good numbers in his freshman year, and I don't think that's a fluke. It's well known that players in their 2nd year experience a dip before going back up. Tedenby's is just particularly pronounced.

As for his size, it matters but not enough to preclude someone from succeeding in the NHL. As has been mentioned, St. Louis, Gionta and others have been able to succeed very nicely despite small size.

Bergfors 2.0

That's what I'm thinking, too.

I don't know if the comparison to St. Louis is a good one. I mean, that guy... he's a weeble-wobble, fer crying out loud.

They are about the same size (Tendenby is actually an inch taller), but other than that I don't see it. Well, I guess that Martin St. Louis is what Tendenby should or could be, but I don't know that he showed anything like that even last year.

Isn't Teddy just 21 years old? I think it's a little early to give up on him. He clearly needs to find his game, and has struggled dealing with the more physicial nature of hte NHL game on a small ice surface than in Europe, but he can be dynamic at times. He needs to go to Albany and play heavy minutes there as opposed to sitting in NJ.

So far he's a big bust. Its impossible to give up on him completely now, but this slump is career threatening. Bergfors 2.0

Maybe not career threatening, but he is indeed a big bust IMO.

I guess playing 10 decent games last year is all that is needed to win the hearts of many defenders amongst Devils fans.

That's what I'm thinking, too.

I don't know if the comparison to St. Louis is a good one. I mean, that guy... he's a weeble-wobble, fer crying out loud.

They are about the same size (Tendenby is actually an inch taller), but other than that I don't see it. Well, I guess that Martin St. Louis is what Tendenby should or could be, but I don't know that he showed anything like that even last year.

Both Gionta and St. Louis are small, but they know how to use their size to their advantage. Tedenby has failed to do that.

i hate to see this. the kid gives way over 100% every time he's on the ice, i never like hearing this. Of course he's in a slump, and it sucks. he is a small player but his quickness is crazy. i dont know what i would do if i was management. a stint in the AHL wouldn't hurt his confidence but its hard to say anything else.

I like his style and appreciate his skills despite his lack of "production". I don't think its wise to trade him right now precisely because we won't get good value in return. Isn't the old saying, buy low sell high? All in all, he needs to gain a few pounds before he can compete with the big boys. Defenders play his body, not the puck. We see the results, and usually it is him landing on his head over by the boards somewhere. Defenders would have to start playing the puck more if he weighed closer to 200 lbs. Needless to say, this would be very difficult to do given his speed, stick work and evasive puck control. Right now he is at 175 according to the devils web site (which I think is with all his equipment and skates on), so he has some way to go. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility, he is 5"10 after all (hopefully not with his skates on).

Edited by Biggie B

I think he's definitely in a slump, but I'd also hate to see him go. I believe he's got potential to do much more than he's showing now. He's obviously got speed and skills. He just needs to hone them...a lot. I think the best thing for him at this point is AHL...

I like the kid a lot, and I've been pulling for him to do well all season.

Unfortunately, it's just not happening. There's only so long you can keep on with that.

Should be on his way to the AHL. It's not working here. Not the end of the world, he turns 22 next month and has shown flashes of becoming a good player. He really needs to work on his strength and skating between this year and next. Stick skills and quickness can only get a player so far.

It wouldn't bother me to see him get traded, especially out west, as long as there's a decent return for him.

It wouldn't bother me to see him get traded, especially out west, as long as there's a decent return for him.

I don't see who's giving up a lot for him. The Devils don't have a winger behind him in the system, at all. It's Tedenby, Palmieri, and basically nothing. David Wohlberg. Mike Hoeffel. Unless he's included in a trade for a young-ish winger in a similar spot, I don't see any advantage of moving him - if he dies on the vine here, so be it.

Edited by Triumph

Oh, he's hardly untradable. Like Triumph said though (in a round about way), I don't think he has any real value.

Lou won't trade someone who could become the next Mats Naslund

Mats Naslund had 26 goals and 71 points in his first full season in the NHL.

Tedenby has 1 goal (off his chest) and 5 points in his first full season.

Comparing Tedenby to Mats Naslund is a gigantic stretch. The only thing they have in common is that they are both small.

Edited by DevsMan84

Lou won't trade someone who could become the next Mats Naslund

perhaps the biggest wrong in that statement is that Mattias Tedenby will never be Mats Naslund. the both of them are waay different from another.

and now to what I was gonna say. I think it's probably for the best that Tedenby be done for the season. He's already a minus fifteen and we have somebody better in the form of Steven zalewski. If you saw his performance against Boston (y'know, before they got pummeled) he was doing pretty well. I didn't see him make too many mistakes out there. What Tedenby needs is to get back into the minors and get his game back. He's got potential, but it's just not there yet.

Well, it's official now. Tedy to Albany.