NHL could loan cash-strapped Devils money for operating costs

msweet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys stop with this Parise crap? Chances are Lou hasn't even reached out to him yet. We all know about Lou's re-signing players in season policy.

I believe Zajac got a midseason extension. Also, in this case, Lou has said that the sides woukd continue to work on a new deal.

I believe Zajac got a midseason extension. Also, in this case, Lou has said that the sides woukd continue to work on a new deal.

Zajac absolutely did not get a midseason extension. How quickly we forget the panic that Zajac would go to arbitration and then leave as soon as possible/be traded.

Edited by Triumph

ok, i cant go into all of this fully based on speculation but,

if you could retain ownership and claim bankruptcy while receiving handouts from the NHL you would.

now, if Vanderbeek is not paying bills that does not mean he doesnt have the money to do so

so the Parise question is whether they may be doing so to buy parise or maybe they add payroll because they know they will be selling parise...lol

but if the NHL is pumping dollars now they have an invested interest in the Devils which sounds good to me...

this team is tied to state issues too imo, isnt one of the few teams named by state and not by city

Why would the NHL help us? They seem to hate the fact we even exist. Going back to when we had to pay the Rangers and Flyers for "invading their fanbase territory," not getting big name recognition for winning 3 CUPS and all those playoff appearances with Division Championships. I guess the only way you get recognition is to be an Original 6 or sign the next Gretzky (which probably still won't gain us elite status)

It's just seemed that the league doesn't mind undermining us when they can from growing into a household name outside NJ. Why would they care if we went away, other than it would upset the balance of the conferences?

Why would the NHL help us? They seem to hate the fact we even exist. Going back to when we had to pay the Rangers and Flyers for "invading their fanbase territory," not getting big name recognition for winning 3 CUPS and all those playoff appearances with Division Championships. I guess the only way you get recognition is to be an Original 6 or sign the next Gretzky (which probably still won't gain us elite status)

It's just seemed that the league doesn't mind undermining us when they can from growing into a household name outside NJ. Why would they care if we went away, other than it would upset the balance of the conferences?

The NHL helps teams in that are in financial trouble all of the time. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Phoenix come to mind in the last decade. They would have done more to help Atlanta if they could, but the Thrashers were being forced out of their building and the NHL was already keeping the Coyotes on life support.

Also, any team coming into another team's territory would have to give to the established team. If a team ever goes into Hamilton or Toronto gets a second team, you can bet the Leafs and Sabres would see some form of compensation.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

The NHL helps teams in that are in financial trouble all of the time. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Phoenix come to mind in the last decade. They would have done more to help Atlanta if they could, but the Thrashers were being forced out of their building and the NHL was already keeping the Coyotes on life support.

Also, any team coming into another team's territory would have to give to the established team. If a team ever goes into Hamilton or Toronto gets a second team, you can bet the Leafs and Sabres would see some form of compensation.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I really do not know where a lot of devils fans think that the NHL hates us. I know a lot of you will point to the kovy contract but the fact is the original contract was ridiculous and even though others have gotten away with it, his contract was so out there we were just pissed that the NHL finally put their foot down with this one.

My link

"The Devils, who are reportedly on track to lose up to $20 million this season,"

How is it that we're on track to lose 20 million this season?

I find this all depressing...

Uh oh, here's comes that "source" from The Post again.. Man, that "source" really hates us to be giving out such negative insider info on the team and only working with a known Devils-hating newspaper.. If this "source" really does exist, it's either a high level executive with the team who actually hates the Devils, or a high level NHL executive who doesn't mind putting his career in jeopardy by continuing to leak very private information

How could the Devils be on track to lose almost as much as Phoenix (despite better attendance at higher ticket prices, a much much better TV deal, a larger fan base, etc), and despite that, the NHL has no intentions right now of getting involved (per TG)?

I believe that we are in trouble if Jeff can't refinance the debt, and maybe we'll still be in some amount of trouble after that, but The Post's "source" is becoming more and more over the top, and less and less believable in my eyes

Edit: I also find it strange that their "source" made no mention of last year's loses.. I mean, how could we possibly be losing more this season than last season? To have access to the kind of financial info that this "source" claims to have, he/she must be a high level executive with either the Devils or the NHL, and would almost assuredly have access to last year's numbers as well, so why haven't we heard how bad last year was? It certainly would have played heavily into where we are now, and had to have been worse than this season, yet the "source" makes no mention of it.. :noclue:

Edited by Colin226

How could the Devils be on track to lose almost as much as Phoenix (despite better attendance at higher ticket prices, a much much better TV deal, a larger fan base, etc), and despite that, the NHL has no intentions right now of getting involved (per TG)?

Edit: I also find it strange that their "source" made no mention of last year's loses.. I mean, how could we possibly be losing more this season than last season?

this is what im saying...all these articles just don't make sense but worry me none the less...i wish it would just sort itself out

Does anybody know much the tv deal we have currently pays us per season?

I think it's something like $24 mil per season? And it's until something like the 2023 - 2024 season.. It's an amazing deal for the Devils

this is what im saying...all these articles just don't make sense but worry me none the less...i wish it would just sort itself out

We'll probably have to wait for the summer to really see what our situation is like.. The team and league probably won't say anything, and The Post will continue to scare us with their "source", but the actions of the team in terms of spending this summer should provide us a good indication of where we're really at

As for now, we have only added payroll this season and we did go ahead and resigned Greene for a generous sum of money, so that's positive

I trust Forbes and they say the Devils are in trouble and are losing value and the debt is bigger than the value.

Right and there's definitely truth to that, but how are we losing close to the same as the Coyotes? Why wouldn't the NHL step in if it was that bad? Why doesn't this source report on last years numbers, which had to have been worse?

I'm just trying to say that I think The Post is getting more and more ridiculous with their coverage of this, and less and less believable.. We won't actually know the severity of all of this until we see how the team spends in the offseason, but as of right now we aren't cutting and that's good to see

Because the Devils have a brand new arena and a TV contract worth over $100 million, among other things.

bingo

plus, where are you going to move the Devils where they're going to do any better. The worst kept secret in hockey is Phoenix to Quebec...after that what other markets are out there. Would the Devs do any better in KC...no chance.

Conspiracy theory much? It's already been pointed out that the NHL tries to help out all of its troubled franchises to the extent possible. Besides, they'd have to make at least a token attempt to bail the Devils out, otherwise they'd be vilified in the media and perhaps by some of the other owners.

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski

Bettman on Devils: Helping owners sort out, team is stable.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman says NHL "is not subsidizing" New Jersey Devils but implied league is advancing money to the team from its share of league revenue.

David Shoalts @dshoalts

Bettman also said Ray Chambers is still the main co-owner of Devils with Jeff Vanderbeek. He's trying to get one of them to take over.