Barry Melrose

Ice Man

Barry announced that Marty should win the Hart and not the Vezina.

While both are awarded for season play not playoiffs. How can Marty be the MVP for the NHL season and not be the best goalie?

Personally I don't think during the season he has earned the right ot either.

Madden is a joke.

Nieder only deserving candidate.

We'll see who has influence and if the people voting can keep the playoff play out of their minds.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madden is a joke.

Why would you say this? I think he is one of the few guys on that team that "brings it" every night. Yeah Maddog's production was down this year and I don't really think he will win the Selke but to say he is joke is a little harsh.

Madden is a joke.

Why would you say this? I think he is one of the few guys on that team that "brings it" every night. Yeah Maddog's production was down this year and I don't really think he will win the Selke but to say he is joke is a little harsh.

Maybe because he finished 169th in the league in +/-? Everyone's favorite whipping boy David Hale finished +5 higher than Madden.

Our penalty kill dropped five places from last year, from 1st to 6th.

Don't get me wrong... Madden is right up there with my favorite Devils. He's one of the few that come to play each night. But he had a rough season - not just bad offensively, but not dominating defensively either.

My pick for the Selke wasn't even nominated. I think Martin St. Louis deserved a nod... he's great on the PK and moved TB up in the PK stats. He's incredibly responsible defensively. And that +35 speaks volumes.

So the guy can't have an off season? Don't you think he was a contributing factor to the team winning the Jennings? Well since he's such a "joke" I hope Lou doesn't resign him...as a matter of fact Brodeur had a bad run in the playoffs; let's trade him too; and while we're at it, Scott Stevens had a "rough" year--let's get rid of that waste of space too!

So the guy can't have an off season? Don't you think he was a contributing factor to the team winning the Jennings? Well since he's such a "joke" I hope Lou doesn't resign him...as a matter of fact Brodeur had a bad run in the playoffs; let's trade him too; and while we're at it, Scott Stevens had a "rough" year--let's get rid of that waste of space too!

WOAH!!!!! Slow them horses!!!

I already said that Madden was one of my favorites and I LOVE having him on the team. Of COURSE we re-sign this guy!!

All I am saying is that his nomination for the Selke, during one of his worst years, is a joke. Or, well, I didn't say that.. I just agreed with Ice Man. Especially when there Martin St. Louis and others out there that should be nominated ahead of him.

Why can't one say "Player X had a bad season this year compared to the last few" without it being interpreted as "Player X needs to be released NOW!"?

Melrose had been hyping St. Louis for months to win the Hart, and now he picks Marty last night totally out of the blue. Sorry folks, but Marty doesn't even deserve the nomination this year...he flat out stunk the second half of the season.

Nieder should be a lock for the Norris, but all this Chara hype is leading me to believe he'll win.

Maybe we need to clarify something...are you saying Madden's nomination for the Selke is a joke or Madden as a player is a joke? Because I interpreted the latter. Maybe Madden doesn't deserve the nod, but I will take this as some consolation for the Devils not achieving their ultimate goal. I know I sound biased but I don't feel this team gets the media attention it deserves so when they get a nod for an award or 2 I'm elated.

After a disappointing season the finger pointing starts and there were a lot of factors contributing to this latest disappointment. Like you Don, Maddog is one of my favorite Devils and I took exception to him being called a joke.

If I interpreted wrong I apologize.

Maybe folks on the board should discover the wonderful land of the Gray Area. It's seems it's either a player is awesome or he stinks. Madden didn't have a great year. He didn't stink either. Marty wasn't awesome the entire year, but never out and out stunk. He still had very good numbers and won the Jennings. I'd say the deserves the nod for Vezina, more than Kip. Belfour was a blatant oversight.

Melrose had been hyping St. Louis for months to win the Hart, and now he picks Marty last night totally out of the blue. Sorry folks, but Marty doesn't even deserve the nomination this year...he flat out stunk the second half of the season.

Nieder should be a lock for the Norris, but all this Chara hype is leading me to believe he'll win.

Oh, dont worry. Im sure Melrose will pick StLouis tonite and Marty to win the Vezina. If there is one thing Im sure of, its that Barry loves to change his mind. It all depends on which day you happen to watch the TV.

I think he does it on purpose of course, so he can appear to know everything. To Hype StLouis all year for the Hart and then pick Marty after the nominations come out...Now, if either of them win, he can say "I knew it!"

Luongo got his recognition by the nomination. He won't win the Vezina.

Kipper won't win it either just like Turco last year. He just didn't play enough games.

It's Brodeur's to win. Games played. Wins. GAA. Shutouts. Fewest GA (team) record. 30+ win consecutive seasons. His stick handling, etc..

Turco not being nominated is a crime.

Chico now thats what I want to here,,, devs sucked in the playoffs its time to clean house!!!

Why is not nominating Turco a crime? What are his numbers compared to Marty? Dallas struggled quite a bit during the season and I don't recall him single-handedly pulling their collective asses out of the fire? They fell out of contention for the Jennings but I do remember he was replaced for a fews games toward the end because of suspension.

Marty's better. :evil:

Pronger is up for the Norris (and while I don't believe stats tell the whole story) is a minus 1 on the year. For a stalworth defensive defenseman with 54 points that is bad no matter how you slice it.

Madden's nomination is due to last year's Playoff. Since the awards don't factor in the Playoff guys often recieve nomination the next year. We all now Madden had a down year, and quite frankly I wish Pandolfo recieved some more recognition. Although he was rated fourth in The Hockey News article - behind Draper, St.Louis, and Madden.

Draper will in the Selke

Niedermayer will win the Norris

Brodeur will win the Vezina (In a similiar fashion to when Hasek won it a few times over Marty when Marty could have easily been the winner - Marty will be played by Luongo in this case)

St. Louis will win the Hart

Why is not nominating Turco a crime? What are his numbers compared to Marty? Dallas struggled quite a bit during the season and I don't recall him single-handedly pulling their collective asses out of the fire? They fell out of contention for the Jennings but I do remember he was replaced for a fews games toward the end because of suspension.

Marty's better. :evil:

MARTIN BRODEUR NJD GP: 75, 38-26-11, 2.03 GAA, .917Sv%, 11 Shutouts.

MARTY TURCO DAL GP: 73, 37-21-13, 1.98 GAA, .913sv%, 9 shutouts.

Both Marty numbers are close. So, why nominate Brodeur and not Turco as well?

Turco started slow then came on near the end. Got stupid and was suspended. Though, the later could be why he was "overlooked".

Stats are close and both Vezina worthy. But our Marty should lose out just because the nominating was wrong? Turco should have been in over Kip. But he's not so Brodeur is deserving of his second Vezina. Anyone car to post Luongo's numbers? :D

Here ya go:

ROBERTO LUONGO FLO GP: 72, 25-33-14, 2.43 GAA, .931Sv%, 7 shutouts.

Not Vezina material if you ask me.

Madden is a joke.

Playoff play really doesn't matter. These things are already decided. They just announce the nominations to the public now. The voting was over before the playoffs started.

I don't know how anyone could say Marty is not worthy of the Vezina based on the competition. All you need to know about Kiprusoff is that he had as many GP as Marty did wins. Him winning the Vezina would be like if Sean Burke had won it in 1988. Luongo is the chic pick but he did not play well in some important games for his team down the stretch as they launched a last ditch effort to make the playoffs (getting lit up by the Devils being one of those games). Whine all you want about Turco not being nominated, but it won't change the fact that he wasn't and so he can't win it. Based on the two guys he is up against I don't see how Marty could lose it.

Noone thinks he will win the Hart.

There is the reason he got consideration:
ROBERTO LUONGO FLO GP: 72,  25-33-14, 2.43 GAA, .931Sv%, 7 shutouts.

not to mention the SICK number of shots per game he faced 2475 over 73 games

34 shots a game.. that's alotta rubbah !!!

Yes I meant Madden's normination is a joke. He doesn't deserve it this season.

However How can Melrose say the Marty who is a goalie is the MVP for the NHL season buit not the Best Goalie and doesn't deserve that award. Any other position I might understand but not the goalie. If he is terrific he gets the Vezina and maybe the MVP but not visa versa.

Edited by Ice Man

Brodeur had a very strong first 3 months, not sure the award is won in dec though.

IMHO Kippersof or Luongo...

Sorry guys Marty did not finish well this year.

Yeah but his numbers held up in the long run. I'm not saying Marty had a stellar year but he did have a stellar first half. Stretch that out over the season and it balances the bad second half. :noclue:

Edited by poohbear