Devils on General Hospital 1989

justdo3043

I actually remember that :) Gretzky was a HUGE fan of "All My Children" and I think a lot of the soaps tried to get hockey players on so they weren't one upped by AMC. I used to work at ABC television in NY, and the soaps were great places to hang out. Food service ran all day, and they used to do a lot of these guest appearances. GenHosp was a West Coast soap though, not one of hte ABC NY ones done on W. 67th St.

Nice find :)

Ahh ABC on the upper West side. good times :lol:

Yeah why have Devils out in CA? I was wondering the same thing. Loved how Dano and MacLean had no lines in response to the girls - just stood there like smiling jackasses.... first really realistic soap opera scene I've seen!

I was thinking GenHosp probably told Brown to "go ahead and bring your uniform" for that gig. We wore home whites in '89, right? The away jersey would fit with the West Coast shooting location :)

Doug Brown goes to the hospital in his uniform (exception his hockey skates).

Dano looks like he's just come from a Chippendale foto shoot, and Johnny Mac was as vague speaking as he was coaching last year...lol.

What foreshadowing...lol

I'm over-analyzing this, but...

The description on YouTube says this aired on March 9, 1989; the Devils played at LA on February 2 and at Edmonton on February 5, and the All-Star Game was in Edmonton on February 7, so they probably shot the scene sometime during that week. Johnny Mac was in the All-Star Game (as was Sean Burke and then-Capital Scott Stevens) but obviously that didn't affect the shooting schedule. Not only would the Devils have had their away uniforms on hand for the road trip, but it also makes sense from the show's perspective. Port Charles, the fictional city in which the show is set, is supposedly in the Buffalo-Rochester area, probably even replacing Rochester in the show's universe. If you needed an excuse for the Devils to be at GH, you could say they were in Buffalo to play the Sabres, though that doesn't really explain why they didn't just go to a Buffalo hospital. (Hey, it's a soap opera, you gotta hand-wave some details away if you plan on escaping with your sanity.)

Oh, and check out those All-Star rosters. Mostly Canadians, a few Americans... and Jari Kurri. Man, how times have changed.

Edited by RowdyFan42

WOW hahaha pretty nutty for day time TV? That was literally classic lol

It wasn't.

Riight. Considering it was filmed more than 10 years ago I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with ya there champ.

lit·er·al·ly   /ˈlɪtərəli/ Show Spelled[lit-er-uh-lee] adverb

1. in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?

2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.

3. actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

That show may figuratively be a classic, but it is not literally a classic. Thanks for playing "champ."

lit·er·al·ly   /ˈlɪtərəli/ Show Spelled[lit-er-uh-lee] adverb

1. in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?

2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.

3. actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

That show may figuratively be a classic, but it is not literally a classic. Thanks for playing "champ."

Na. It's literally a classic. Thanks though Professor Douche Bag. I appreciate the English lesson and will be sure to recommend you to others. Have a good day and take care now. :lol:

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3