Lou's All Star Break Assessment

DevilinLA

Some interesting quotes here in regards to recent issues: trades, the defense, the financial situation.

Some of it is typical Lou "status quo", but interesting during the ALL STAR DROUGHT

TG

THE DEFENSE:

Although Henrik Tallinder is out for six to eight weeks with a blood clot in his lower left leg, Lamoriello said after making the Ponikarovsky trade that he likes his defense and thinks it should be fine after Andy Greene returns from a broken bone and big toe in his left point at some point after the all-star break. (He’s on schedule to return to practice with the team on Monday).

He didn’t dismiss the idea of trading for help on defense, though, when I asked him about it again this week.

“It should be fine,” Lamoriello said. “If we can get better, we will.”

THE FINANCES:

When I asked Lamoriello if the team’s financial situation will impact how he conducts his business leading up to the trade deadline, he replied simply, “We’re committed to winning here.”

When asked if that meant he could add further to payroll if he feels it’s necessary, Lamoriello repeated, “We’re committed to winning here.”

ON ZP:

Lamoriello gave similar responses when I asked if re-signing Zach Parise will become more of a priority after the all-star break. (Last I checked, less than a week ago, there still had been no contract talks).

“Zach is always a priority and always has been,” Lamoriello said.

Will the trade deadline impact that?

“Zach is a priority and always has been,” Lamoriello repeated.

He didn’t dismiss the idea of trading for help on defense, though, when I asked him about it again this week.

“It should be fine,” Lamoriello said. “If we can get better, we will.” - I dig this quote.

I just made the same thread. How do I delete it?

Mods will clean it up.

turns out that if Parise doesnt resign that this ownership decision to get Kovalchuk was excellent... without zach we were not that good so not that attractive for free agents... and without kovalchuk were also a sh!ttier team... so without those 2 next year would be terrible really

Lou has done pretty much the same thing every year come deadline for the past several seasons: He goes out and gets a bottom 6 D man who doesn't pan out.

I don't count the Kovy thing because that was more of an ownership decision.

I agree with the D thing, but I give Lou credit for acquiring Kovi, and I think Vanderbleek made sure he stayed a Devil

I would love, more than anything, for Lou to pull something huge off. It would be nice to see him prove everyone wrong.

Well everyone was saying he wouldnt do anything 2 years ago too... And he got kovy... I still cant believe it... I remember exactly the moment it was starting to leak and people here were denying the rumours and all

I would love, more than anything, for Lou to pull something huge off. It would be nice to see him prove everyone wrong.

There just isn't a viable option that I can see though.

Unless you wanna see Parise shipped out. And even then, you're not getting much for a rental

There just isn't a viable option that I can see though.

Unless you wanna see Parise shipped out. And even then, you're not getting much for a rental

You can get a rental for pretty cheap from a non-playoff team if need be. I think Atlanta got Tkachuk from STL for like a pick and a prospect in 06-07.

You can get a rental for pretty cheap from a non-playoff team if need be. I think Atlanta got Tkachuk from STL for like a pick and a prospect in 06-07.

lol no. tkachuk was traded for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. st. louis ended up trading back the 1st to get the rights to tkachuk over the summer, but keith tkachuk was the opposite of a cheap rental, and that decision is part of why winnipeg will probably finish out of the playoffs this year.

with the devils all set to surrender a 1st round pick in the coming years, they can't afford to be trading one this year. nor do there figure to be many rentals of this variety around.

Edited by Triumph

THE DEFENSE:

Although Henrik Tallinder is out for six to eight weeks with a blood clot in his lower left leg, Lamoriello said after making the Ponikarovsky trade that he likes his defense...

Psst! Lou! Ponikarovsky is a forward!

Psst! Lou! Ponikarovsky is a forward!

Psst! Forwards play defense, too. ;-)

As for Lou's comments, I can't say I'm entirely surprised. He probably got those same questions asked a hundred times already. At this point, its an answering machine that you are hearing from. Lol.

lol no. tkachuk was traded for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. st. louis ended up trading back the 1st to get the rights to tkachuk over the summer, but keith tkachuk was the opposite of a cheap rental, and that decision is part of why winnipeg will probably finish out of the playoffs this year.

with the devils all set to surrender a 1st round pick in the coming years, they can't afford to be trading one this year. nor do there figure to be many rentals of this variety around.

You just keep thinkin', Tri. That's what you're good at.

THE DEFENSE:

Although Henrik Tallinder is out for six to eight weeks with a blood clot in his lower left leg, Lamoriello said after making the Ponikarovsky trade that he likes his defense and thinks it should be fine after Andy Greene returns from a broken bone and big toe in his left point at some point after the all-star break. (He’s on schedule to return to practice with the team on Monday).

“It should be fine,” Lamoriello said. “If we can get better, we will.”

Kind of sums up Tallinder as a FA acquisition. Yeah, he's gone for the year, but we should be OK, after all we have an 18 YO rookie and a 2nd year 5th rounder back there to carry us!