Leafs' Nieuwendyk out for Game Two

KYdevil

TSN.ca Staff

4/24/2004

Toronto Maple Leafs centre Joe Nieuwendyk will not play in Game Two against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday. He suffered an upper body injury in Game One.

The Leafs are already without captain Mats Sundin and winger Owen Nolan, so the loss of Nieuwendyk is huge. The fact that Nieuwendyk led the Leafs with five goals in their first round vicory over Ottawa underscores his importance.

Nieuwendyk also missed game four of the Ottawa series with a back injury; an injury that has plagued him on and off all season.

The 37 year-old had 50 points in 64 games with the Maple Leafs this season

Can we say the leafs are in trouble now? Looks like its all gonna be in Belfour's hands.

Joe has a real hard time playing in the playoffs doesn't he?

I'm so glad his fragile ass never came back to jersey. He gets 2 freebies in game 7 vs. sens and everybody thinks his old skills are coming back. 2 gimmies from lalime! I just wish lou had signed oates or brought another center to replace niewy.

Vince

I'm so glad his fragile ass never came back to jersey. He gets 2 freebies in game 7 vs. sens and everybody thinks his old skills are coming back. 2 gimmies from lalime! I just wish lou had signed oates or brought another center to replace niewy.

Vince

oates was just as washed up as joe

Guest Devsrule

If there is one team in the NHL that is cursed it is the leafs. They are NEVER a healthy team in the playoffs.

The flyers will win the series.

Vince

How about showing a little respect for Nieuwy instead of bashing him? The guy wasn't healthy for your entire Cup run. But don't tell me his presence didn't help. Look how well Langenbrunner and Friesen played. Nieuwy was a BIG reason. Also, when he couldn't return in Game Seven, he cried. You don't think that inspired his teammates to come out in the second and comeback like that (particularly Nieuwy's pal Langenbrunner)?

Nieuwy may not be able to stay healthy anymore. But he sure brings a presence to the ice when he can play. He's still got it. And it was a mistake for Lamoriello not to bring him back.

nieuwendyk did not want to come back and lou was totally justified in letting him walk.......derek, why dont you make your avatar a picture with a giant X across the devils logo.....to you, lou has never done a single thing right......3 cups in 10 years.....as a fan, i am more than happy with the performance of the devils........derek, why dont you go watch a ranger playoff game or something

brylin, Lou has made a lot of good moves. Most logical Devil fan admits letting Nieuwendyk walk was a mistake. It resulted in just one scoring line for your team. Why don't you go take a walk or something?

Derek, I really don't think Joe wanted to come back. Period. He wanted to go to Toronto and finish his career there. My issue is not with Lou for failing to make an offer (which probably would have been taken to the Leafs and matched) but in his failure to find a suitable replacement.

Joe WASN"T COMING BACK. Can we end this now???

yah ill walk over to my living room and watch the 2003 cup video.....want me to send you a copy?

nieuwendyk played like ass when he was here, and then all of a sudden he makes a "comeback" with the leafs.....he did not want to be with the devils ... and lou was well within his right not to go begging him to come back....yes his spot on the 2nd line was missed, but it couldve been filled in by another free agent pickup aside from larionov, who actually was a lou mistake.

yah ill walk over to my living room and watch the 2003 cup video.....want me to send you a copy?

Childish.

nieuwendyk played like ass when he was here, and then all of a sudden he makes a "comeback" with the leafs.....he did not want to be with the devils ... and lou was well within his right not to go begging him to come back....yes his spot on the 2nd line was missed, but it couldve been filled in by another free agent pickup aside from larionov, who actually was a lou mistake.

Nieuwy didn't score a lot of goals last year. But he had a nice second half for the Devils and formed good chemistry with Friesen and Langenbrunner. Maybe he didn't want to stay with the Devils. But if Lou really didn't make an offer, what was Joe supposed to do? If he was wanted, maybe they could have retained him. But if they showed minimal interest, then that didn't leave him much choice.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. What was Lou thinking signing Larionov? :huh:

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. What was Lou thinking signing Larionov? :huh:

Well what do you bloody think he was thinking?

He was thinking a veteran presence good on the power play and in the postseason. That's what he was thinking. He can't then make him do it.

As for Nieuwy, it's been well-documented that Nieuwy's agent had his cell phone turned off for whatever it was, a day or two. Once Joe knew Toronto was interested, THAT was the deal he wanted. Which is fine.

Nieuwy was out a great deal of the regular season. So instead of having the people complaining about Lou not re-signing him and signing Larionov, we'd have the people complaining about signing Nieuwy.

Joe wanted to go. I don't think he was happy here but being Joe Class he made the best of it. He played his best, no doubt he was a great leader and great in the locker room. He always speaks of the Devils and NJ with great respect and high regard. I will always be glad he donned a Devils' jersey even for a short time. Most of all his name is inscribed on the Cup as a Devil. :evil:

As for Larionov, I think Lou could've done better than Igor. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.