Devils at Rangers, Tuesday Feb 7

Triumph

The only thing that was "brutal" about last night is Al's absolute lack of professionalism and/or his hairline. The clip made me laugh though. It's funny how they cry about that call (Volchenkov leaned on Gaborik with his stick - if that forces Gaborik to plow over Marty, then he has less balance on skates than I do), but don't have anything to say about the clear high stick directly in front of the ref mid-way through the third, or the trip on Henrique at center ice towards the end of the game.

F the Rags, F Torts, and F Al "needs a wig", that 2 bit hack of a commentator. I wish Dano would just knock him out wearing his 3 cup rings one night on HNL.

Great win! Go Devils!

We've been getting break after break on this current winning streak, though, haven't we?

True, but that was one that easily could've gone against the Devils. I wouldn't have felt ripped off if it did.

This is what it looks like when a defenseman pushes an attacker into the goalie:

:rofl:

Holy crap, Pads McGee really has no right to talk. Dubinsky has full extension of his arms, pushing Max into him and he flips out like that. Then he calls what Volchenkov did a push? Credibility = 0.

True, but that was one that easily could've gone against the Devils. I wouldn't have felt ripped off if it did.

I would, because that was the right call. Gaborik was pressured but he wasn't hooked or grabbed. He still had time to stop or go on the side of the net before he elbowed Marty(who was in the crease) in the face. Clearly goalie interference. Volch played it smart.

I thought the call could've gone either way. This one happened to go our way, and I'm fine with it.

What is Al Trautwig's position exactly? Studio host? Aren't they supposed to be a little fair?

Who on the Devils broadcast fills that same position? Deb Placey maybe? I can't see her ever being so unbiased. Same with Cangi when he filled that role.

Del Zotto made a bunch of good plays for the Rangers last night. Wouldn't mind seeing him in red and black.

I'm a Devils fan, so naturally I'm happy to see it go our way this time. But overall I feel like the officiating should be more consistent on these kinds of goalie interference calls. I don't know what the official rule(s) state in this regard, but at least to my eye this kind of thing happens all the time, and it gets called -or not called- differently in every game. Sometimes it's not even consistent within the same game. Agreed that the refs have to make these judgments in a split second with all kinds of distractions, and I'm often the one person among my friends who's willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. But it just seems like there's almost no rhyme or reason as to how they're going to call this particular penalty.

I think it comes down to the ref realizing there was a 4/3 on 1 happening..he recognized the players on the Rags would crash the net since time was running down. I think his senses were just heightened during the play because he knew that most teams would try something like that. It was a good call. I keep watching the replay over and over again. Certain angles it's hard to tell but other angles there just really isn't any question in my mind that Gabby was trying to be slick and run into Brodeur. He can deny it all he wants, but he got caught.

I think it comes down to the ref realizing there was a 4/3 on 1 happening..he recognized the players on the Rags would crash the net since time was running down. I think his senses were just heightened during the play because he knew that most teams would try something like that. It was a good call. I keep watching the replay over and over again. Certain angles it's hard to tell but other angles there just really isn't any question in my mind that Gabby was trying to be slick and run into Brodeur. He can deny it all he wants, but he got caught.

You can see him lift his elbow a bit as he's crashing the net. Again, not totally obvious, but it's the subtleties like that, that make this blatant or not. Depending on who you root for, this is a good or bad call. The refs got it right.

This is what it looks like when a defenseman pushes an attacker into the goalie:

Montreal typical lol

I love how Torts tries to get hard ass with a fan too. I remember sitting behind him in a playoff game vs. the Lightning. I was badgering the crap out of him and he didn't even turn around. I guess now that he coaches the Rangers his courage is up.

Was at the game last night, sat 10 rows from the ice across from the Devils bench. It was absolutely one of the best Devils/Rangers games I've been to in a while, regardless of the outcome. The renovation to MSG is actually pretty impressive -- not so much the seating area, but the concourse itself is really nice.

The fans were pretty cool all night. Seems like the Rangers fans are a little less uptight now that they are owning the standings :lol:

As for the no-goal at the end of the game, I had an ice-level view of the whole thing and it was absolutely 110% the right call, all Devils bias aside. Volchenkov barely had ANY weight going into Gaborik whatsoever. Ranger fans will undoubtedly disagree, but even so, they're analyzing the wrong part of the rule. It's the fact that Gaborik made absolutely NO attempt whatsoever to avoid Brodeur that ultimately sank them.

But of course, that jackass Micheletti preaches about Volchenkov. Typical.

Good stuff here:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_believe_its_clear_right_call_was_made_on_disallowed_tying_goal/

Hedberg believes that Gaborik was still capable of avoiding Brodeur if he wanted.

“You can make the point and say that he gets pushed into the crease, but he’s a better player than that,” Hedberg said. “He’s one of the best skaters in the world, so for him to all the sudden become that weak so had to be falling over the goaltender, I don’t think so. If he wants to stop, he can stop. I’ve seen him stop on a dime before.”

One bad call goes their way and the Ranger fans especially act like they been robbed of a playoff berth or something. As said before, the refs have one view on it and they are viewing the whole ice which includes the Ranger who was carrying the puck up along with Gaborik/Volchenkov.

Personally I'd be pissed off because of where we are in the standings but if I was in the Rangers position I'd be mad but I wouldn't bitch about it for thirty minutes of the post game.

If we make the playoffs....I want the Rangers first round.

LETS GO DEVILS