Wings Leafs to play '13 Winter Classic

Quinn01

DETROIT -- The NHL's Winter Classic has grown bigger each season of its five-year existence. It's only fitting that the next stop for the Jan. 1 outdoor game will be at Michigan Stadium, known by many as "The Big House."

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announced Thursday morning the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic -- between Original Six rivals Detroit and Toronto -- will be played at the home of the University of Michigan's football team in Ann Arbor.

Bettman made the announcement at Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, which will host the Hockeytown Winter Festival, a week-long celebration of the game at all levels.

The 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic marks the first time a Canadian-based franchise is part of the festivities. It also marks the first time that the events of Winter Classic week will be split between two venues.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616022

Edited by Quinn01

Honestly, we all know that we will not be in this event for a long long time if at all. All I want is some different teams in it once in a while, even though Toronto hasn't been in a winter classic yet. Start incorporating other teams not just the original 6. Its getting boring.

• Like 1

Honestly, we all know that we will not be in this event for a long long time if at all. All I want is some different teams in it once in a while, even though Toronto hasn't been in a winter classic yet. Start incorporating other teams not just the original 6. Its getting boring.

Well, there are some restrictions...

1) You want to hit the big markets to generate excitement

2) It's an outdoor game, that eliminates a ton of arenas

This is the first time a Canadian team is being used for the Winter Classic. They sometimes play a Heritage Classic. This is a good way to ease a Canadian market into the mix. You won't see teams with a low fan base in the Winter Classic.

Well, there are some restrictions...

1) You want to hit the big markets to generate excitement

2) It's an outdoor game, that eliminates a ton of arenas

This is the first time a Canadian team is being used for the Winter Classic. They sometimes play a Heritage Classic. This is a good way to ease a Canadian market into the mix. You won't see teams with a low fan base in the Winter Classic.

I personally would like to see the Devils and Rangers in Central Park. I think that would be awesome. Im not just saying that as a Devils fan. I would like to see any professional game out of Central Park.

I personally would like to see the Devils and Rangers in Central Park. I think that would be awesome. Im not just saying that as a Devils fan. I would like to see any professional game out of Central Park.

Sure, it would be cool, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Rangers yes, but Devils? Not a chance. I don't think the NHL will give us this unless we win back to back Cups or something. It would be Rangers / Bruins or something along those lines, maybe Rangers / Canadiens and at Yankee Stadium not Central Park.

If there ever was a WC in Central Park you can bet the Devils will not be in it.

I have come to accept for the last couple of years that the Devils will never ever be in the WC. I will still get excited to see them no matter who is in them and depending on who is in them.

I was actually really hoping for a Colorado/Detroit one for next year. It will happen eventually.

Actually, given the fact that the NHL seems to be rolling with this first game is away, second game is home format, is it really that incomprehensible that the Devils play them? Who would fit better? The Islanders maybe? They can't do a rematch with Philly... Boston? Haven't they already played two? (legit question: unsure if they've played one or two). I think the Devils would be the perfect fit...

HAVING SAID THAT (in the words of seinfeld and larry david) ... I am not getting my hopes up