Wings Leafs to play '13 Winter Classic

Quinn01

Screw you Canada. You and your media are a bunch of whiny bastards. "Wahhhh... why aren't there any Canadian teams in the Winter Classic? Wahhhh NBC is doing this for the US market but we're Canada we live breath and die hockey" Okay but why can't you let the US have ONE THING for itself in the world of hockey. It helps grow the game in the US from the casual fan to the fans in the markets represented. You think it wouldn't help a market like St. Louis, San Jose or New Jersey? That it wouldn't benefit from the exposure of being the away team? They would bring as much or more of a tv share as the Leafs would.

But no the same fans and media that whine when teams aren't in places they don't consider "worthy" of a team aren't drawing because they suck out loud and there are few markets in most sports that 100 percent show up for sucky teams. That won't let a market like Phoenix enjoy a good season because of relocation rumors every off season. Do you know how hard it would be to get invested with a team, to watch, to spend money to watch our team if it seemed like it had one foot out the door every season? Not saying Phoenix would be a great market but its hard to build one when a team is usually bad in a new place (though putting the stadium in Glendale didn't help)

Bunch of whiny vultures sometimes. It should be the team with what might be the last year of the greatest goalie ever in the game. Don't think that wouldn't help the bottom line with jersey sales and all other WC merchandise it would move for the Devils? Don't think there would be a few kids who hear the hype in San Jose and become new hockey fans after finally watching it? But no let's bring the Leafs into it in a short sighted move to fill the Big House. In conclusion: screw you Canada and your media, I hope there is going to be a Heritage Classic so I can bitch and moan about there being no America teams in it

Screw you Canada. You and your media are a bunch of whiny bastards. "Wahhhh... why aren't there any Canadian teams in the Winter Classic? Wahhhh NBC is doing this for the US market but we're Canada we live breath and die hockey" Okay but why can't you let the US have ONE THING for itself in the world of hockey. It helps grow the game in the US from the casual fan to the fans in the markets represented. You think it wouldn't help a market like St. Louis, San Jose or New Jersey? That it wouldn't benefit from the exposure of being the away team? They would bring as much or more of a tv share as the Leafs would.

But no the same fans and media that whine when teams aren't in places they don't consider "worthy" of a team aren't drawing because they suck out loud and there are few markets in most sports that 100 percent show up for sucky teams. That won't let a market like Phoenix enjoy a good season because of relocation rumors every off season. Do you know how hard it would be to get invested with a team, to watch, to spend money to watch our team if it seemed like it had one foot out the door every season? Not saying Phoenix would be a great market but its hard to build one when a team is usually bad in a new place (though putting the stadium in Glendale didn't help)

Bunch of whiny vultures sometimes. It should be the team with what might be the last year of the greatest goalie ever in the game. Don't think that wouldn't help the bottom line with jersey sales and all other WC merchandise it would move for the Devils? Don't think there would be a few kids who hear the hype in San Jose and become new hockey fans after finally watching it? But no let's bring the Leafs into it in a short sighted move to fill the Big House. In conclusion: screw you Canada and your media, I hope there is going to be a Heritage Classic so I can bitch and moan about there being no America teams in it

The Devils aren't ever getting one of these...well, suffice it to say that their chances are very small. I think the Rangers-Islanders would happen before the Rangers-Devils.

The reasons being:

There aren't that many Devils fans outside of the truly hardcore (I don't think we have much in the way of casual fans). But I do think our "hardcores" are as into it as any.

As far as "sex appeal" goes, the Devils are in the bottom third. They don't play in Canada, they don't have a long history compared to some other teams, and no matter what style they play, who's playing for them, or who's coaching them, the masses will ALWAYS label them as a clutching, grabbing, trapping, boring, excitement-killing team. The masses will give the Devils props for winning, but notice how it's always "yeah, they've won three Cups, BUT" with that crowd.

It would take YEARS of being an offensive dynamo before the Devils could ever shake that rep...sadly enough.

Two reasons the Devils should be in it: One, the people love the jersey. I think more non-hockey fans wear Devil jersey's than fans. Two: Exposure. I've always said that there's only about 20,000 Devil fans in the world. We could use the help.

Canadian fans get HNC every week. The WC is preaching to the choir, whereas the idea of it is exposure. Otherwise, why would it be on New Years? I'd love to see this current Devil team on national TV.

Two reasons the Devils should be in it: One, the people love the jersey. I think more non-hockey fans wear Devil jersey's than fans. Two: Exposure. I've always said that there's only about 20,000 Devil fans in the world. We could use the help.

Canadian fans get HNC every week. The WC is preaching to the choir, whereas the idea of it is exposure. Otherwise, why would it be on New Years? I'd love to see this current Devil team on national TV.

The second reason alone is what is and will be keeping the Devils out of the WC forever.

The Devils won't be in the WC for a long, long time, if not ever. Can we just move on with our lives and be happy that the sport itself is getting tons of attention with these games?

Also, I'm very excited about this venue. That stadium is massive and it will generate a lot of media presence if there are 100,000+ fans there. Along with the hockeytown festivities, it should be a really good week for hockey

20,000? We have like 250k liking us on Facebook, and over 600k in the Devils sales database (which are people who have show interest I the team either through ticket sales, entering contests online, buying merch fro the NHL store, etc)

So it's hard to believe we only have 20k fans..

I still say that te Leafs aren't exciting to watch, but their fans would still spend ridiculous money even if the team was comprise of a lump of dog sh!t placed at center ice

Again I'm not annoyed that its not the Devils I'm more annoyed that it is a Canadian team because that misses the point of what the WC should be. Growing the game in the US. You get two US markets and it creates buzz in there for what would have been just a regular season game. Now its one market and the rest of the US being ehh. Plus it was hoping they would use it to uplift a mid market like the Blues, San Jose or us like I said before.

Not only are the Leafs an original 6 and geographic rival, but they were also chosen to help fill 110,000+ seats. I wouldve preferred two American teams but its an exception for one year. Its not like they'll regularly have a Canadian team after that.

I'm more happy they are shifting away from soul-less stadiums and associating the WC with classical and historical stadiums again. The shift back to football stadiums will also boost the coffers and help greatly with sight lines, too. I still dont know how Citizens Bank ever hosted one.

Edited by devlman

What's with the Canadian hate?

I think I'd like to see this winter classic with my mother. I still remember after the Devils won the Cup in 2003, my parents were visiting and I was talking about Scott Stevens and my mother sighed "I remember back when I had a crush on a hockey player. It was the goalie for the Wings. Terry Sawchuk was his name..." :blink:

It was as if he was just the local hockey guy not historic Terry Sawchuk. and.... EWE? I mean if it wasn't his brilliance ??? - she SAW that face. :noclue: Anyhow she felt like there were only 2 hockey teams on earth growing up Wings and Leafs.

(And yes I DID say -- "mom - you were in high school." she of course said "ohhhhh you're still young!" "Dude I'm 35!" "you're my baby!! Come over here")

Not only are the Leafs an original 6 and geographic rival, but they were also chosen to help fill 110,000+ seats. I wouldve preferred two American teams but its an exception for one year. Its not like they'll regularly have a Canadian team after that.

I'm more happy they are shifting away from soul-less stadiums and associating the WC with classical and historical stadiums again. The shift back to football stadiums will also boost the coffers and help greatly with sight lines, too. I still dont know how Citizens Bank ever hosted one.

The only soulless stadium was Citizens Bank..

The Leafs are NOT an interesting team but like I've said their fans will pay millions for anything...

The only soulless stadium was Citizens Bank..

The Leafs are NOT an interesting team but like I've said their fans will pay millions for anything...

I wouldn't say Citizens Bank is soulless. It's a bit cookie-cutter, by modern standards, as is CitiField...seems like all the new ballparks rip off Camden Yards in one way or another. Make it retro? Check. Asymmetrical dimensions? Check. Something goofy in the outfield? Check.

It's funny, though CitiField is clearly the NICER ballpark, I don't think it's found it's soul yet...Shea had more of it than CitiField does.

But anyway, to echo what Devlman said, I look at a place like Citizens Bank hosting a game and it seems like it'd be a horrible place to watch a hockey game. The sightlines in football stadiums just seem so much better, even if some fans are going to be pretty far away from the action.