My Scott Stevens thread

Pepperkorn

opine :uni:

Ok so! Here is the latest discovery - Scotty harasses a hunting writer via iphone

Just after dark last Wednesday night, a text message on my phone read: "I hit this buck tonight!" Attached was this photo from Scott Stevens' Reconyx scouting camera.

It's so cute. He's such a high strung guy - I LOVE that! and think of how comically efficient Stevens must look with all that bow crap, cameras, iphone -- probably all anal retentively placed about his person. How would one not get distracted with all that sh!t?

My husband is always that guy -- the one that actually gives a crap. He exhausts everyone with his enthusiasm. Right now his current set of hunting buddies kind of aren't that into hunting. Everyone talks a big line...but when push comes to shove they'll pick a football tailgate over hunting -- or more often than not -- "oh no my wife will kill me - have fun, man" No set of guys can ALL be entirely pansy whipped THAT much. or am I just some rare tolerant treasure? Well... I do know his brother is pretty whipped :unsure: I couldn't handle that if I were a dude - and I LIKE being bossed around. My husband is the nag in the house.

I wonder if Stevens calls Donna all the time and texts her pictures and stuff. I hope so. My husband does it all the time. I love that. Even if it's annoying it reminds you of how much you love them :wub:

PANSY whipped? Seriously? Yeah -- I can just see a bunch of guys cowering while a girly chases them around with a flacid pansy... GAD I HATE THE AUTO_EDIT FEATURE! PUSSY dammit PUSSY!

wow and that is unreadable with all the product placement...

Scott Stevens - my husband said you should write. Then I'd have my Holik podcast and my Stevens hunting blog -- I'd be set!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I've been falling down on the whole hockey thing much less Stevens...

so I searched on Scott Stevens hunting and found a NJ hunter message board with this (dated from back when his number was being retired)

Dominant Buck:

I used to service his house in Essex Fells when I was an exterminator.. He had targets all over the yard.. Nice guy.

My question... why would they be needing an exterminator? Eywwee? It's not rural up there....did a few mice freak them out? It's not like it's Manhattan with no convenient exit routes for vermin. ehh whatever.. :noclue:

Searching is weird... what sorts of things might I find? Maybe this is a bad idea... I think Stevens better make sure there's a snippet in the press about him once a month preferably with pictures just to keep me sated so I dont search and find out anything on... oh I dont know a urologist site or something... :yucky:

ok - I just wasted 15 minutes looking at pictures of world record white tail buck pictures. The cutest were the velvet covered ones -- the deer were alive so it was much cuter. The biggest rack I've seen was on Block Island... beautiful boy frozen scared on someone's front lawn at night. We were all kind of perplexed as to whether it was real or not - it was backlit by the front porch .. finally when he white tailed it outta there we figured out he was real! So beautiful :wub:

:unsure:

ok

so...

goodnight :evil:

I was worried this thread might need a "NSFW" tag :giggle:

HEY! HI!

You can make that happen and I'd be cool with it... if it was Stevens I mean that is... Scott .. not Connie :doh1:

PK, yesterday I watched the Devils-Lightning elimination game from 2003 after it sat on my DVR for like a month. Seeing Stevens on the ice and remembering how he had come back from that slapshot made me think of his biggest fan.

Also, damn was he still a solid performer even then. Calm and composed, still able to move the puck well, and dishing out the hits. Part of me wonders how he would have adapted to the "new NHL" had he not been forced to retire. He was a smart enough player that I think he could have hacked it, but 2005-2006 would have been an ugly statistical year for him... maybe finishing in the minus, with limited minutes.

Oh yeah, and even though I fast-forwarded through much of the game, there were at least 30 non-calls that would have been instant whistles nowadays.

/hijack

hi jack schmijack! This is the kind of stuff I'm lookin' for!

I can't believe it's been 8 years since the dude played even.... I've adored him post-career for longer than I adored him playing. Why did I waste so much time ignoring him with his collegiate good looks and irritating perfection. How did I not see he wasn't merely perfect but PERFECTLY perfect with perfect imperfections? :urg:

I think Stevens efficiency is ideal in ANY hockey setting. His gift isn't huge hits - it's coming up with the smallest gesture that makes the biggest impact. He's incredibly thrifty - what I've never quite gotten a grasp of is how he has this huge high-strung energy, that needs an outlet absolutely, and instead of waste he fine tunes it to a laser point be it a hit which is most obvious - or a puck block again obvious or just stretching his entire personal space the length of the rink - no one can do that - just enlarge the space they take up so gigantically. Stevens took up more space then Chara could ever hope. How did he DO that?

That paragraph has mixed metaphors... you all get the idea though..

• 2 weeks later...

Some insight as to why I love Scott Stevens --- I personally think anyhow.

"We are intrinsically wired to take pleasure from our predictions that come true," he says.

Get it right and you get a burst of pleasure-inducing dopamine or a related brain chemical. Get it wrong and dopamine levels dip, Linden says.

All that training makes us extremely sensitive to the consistency and predictability of people we depend on, Linden says.

"If we have a sense that there is a mismatch between our prediction and their actions, that is something that sets off neural alarm bells," he says. And if we think they have been inconsistent about something fundamental, he says, we will feel betrayed.

This is from an NPR story this morning about why we hate flip flopping politicians. I of course like them though because I feel their flip flopping makes them appear more bi-partisan or better still non-partisan. But they have to be McCain-like consistent flip flopper (who I incidentally felt betrayed by when he started embracing a lot of rightists garbage instead of the truly logical thoughts that were more centrist). but that's neither here nor there. We're talking about Stevens :wub:

So every time he did my bidding on ice -- defended exactly as I felt it should be done, I got a blast of dopamine! The dude has me on a dopamine high - I AM addicted. giggle.gif

smooch.gif

nhl_checking.giftender.gif

• 3 weeks later...

HEY HEY! I was going to whine about how I have ZERO Stevens news..

Scotty -- make some noise. You have a signing on your birthday -- just put a little sign up, little tiny thing, that says "I love Pepperkorn" then we'll see what kind of feedback we get here in this thread yeah? Good idea?

OR you know -- anyone going, ask Scotty: Do you know Pepperkorn?

This is a wonderful chance for someone to get something genuine out of the dude. He's got the blank pleasant face down and every pat answer to every common question.

The way to really catch him... "cmon, you think she's cute dont you?" THEN we'll have our answer!! :boogie:

yes... I was THAT girl in Elementary school, Jr High, and High School. Why does that humiliate guys... one of you guys should speak out. Why does it embarrass guys when a girls asks a friend to ask him if he likes her.... OK several friends to ask? :rofl: Poor Eric Finseth, Geir Wallaas... of course my date to the Sr Prom was also a double secret does-he-like-me-no-dont-really-ask-him crush victim. I was SHOCKED when he called out of the blue and asked me to the Prom. We never dated after though. both too shy I guess. Larry Stein.... **sigh** I'm too shy to even friend him on facebook...

:unsure: Holy crap.. I actually got my husband making a friend call him for me.... gosh. I'm not shy. but I guess I am. :saddevil:

and I dont want to date Scott Stevens.. :urg:

oh never mind this was a tragedy of a Let's talk about Stevens post.... and will

I

hit

???

• 3 weeks later...

I'm burying this in this thread. I just have to say - this time around the Cup has hit me with it's full impact. The thing itself.

It's LA and I don't give a %^% if I jinx them :P -- but I can't help thinking... if Jon Quick brought the Cup to my hometown in CT -- I just get hit with how powerful a thing it is. When I think of my high school team -- they were good, really good, but even our BEST just knew they didn't have the drive to push for a real career in hockey -- not in any capacity. No one dared to hope they had the talent even. I even pushed one guy who had NO other hope or dream or desire. He was in fact the only player who knew my love of hockey and the only guy I spoke to. Mostly because my love was acting and I was going for it and he had that same love but for hockey and yet he wouldn't allow himself to just go for it -- any way any how any where :noclue:

anyhow - so all these kids are men now and they're all involved with town hockey in one form or another. What it would mean to them to have someone from our town bring the Cup -- it's such an affirmation. I think the chance comes around often in some of the towns in Canada..in the province of Ontario... that begin with K... just keeping' it Stevens :uni: But our town? It's such a hockey insane town and it's not in Canada or Minnesota or Michigan even. It's in dopey Connecticut. and it's not a private school even though Quick transferred and red shirted. I think he knows too - I think he'd be hard pressed choosing not to bring it home.

It's very difficult to not want this for my town. And I want it now, because I feel the urgency this season - there is hint of reality that I've never felt even as the Cup was here in NJ. it's amazing who all these guys play for - it is overwhelming I think maybe like no other trophy or award anywhere.

Oh come on now -_-

and now you've inspired me to get back on topic and go search Sportsminded 2012 Scott Stevens and found a Facebook page with all kinds of photos. At some point, it looks like Stevens lost feeling in his upper lip. He is so cute though.

and I must wonder: Does Donna have to shave those hairs that grow on the back of his neck. If you do, I feel ya sister. "Hon? Can you get my squiggly hairs?" :doh1: I'll spare you all the full dialogue I share with my husband every 3 months or so...

OK now how adorable is this:

From The Cardinal Virtues, 1902

By William De Witt Hyde

TEMPERANCE

Temperance is closely akin to courage; for as courage takes on the pains which wisdom and justice find incidental to their ends, so temperance cuts off remorselessly whatever pleasures are inconsistent with these ends. The temperate man does not hate pleasure, any more than the brave man loves pain, for its own sake. It is not that he loves pleasure less, but that he loves wisdom and justice more. He puts the satisfaction of his permanent and social self over against the fleeting satisfaction of some isolated appetite, and cuts off the little pleasure to gain the lasting personal and social good. There is a remark of Hegel which gives the key to all true temperance; “In the eye of fate all action is guilt.” Since we are finite, to do one thing is to neglect all the competing alternative courses. We cannot have our cake and eat it too. As James puts it: “Not that I would not, if I could, be both handsome and fat and well-dressed and a great athlete, and make a million a year; be a wit, a bon-vivant, and a lady-killer, as well as a philosopher; a philanthropist, statesman, warrior, and African explorer, as well as a ‘tone-poet’ and saint. But the thing is simply impossible. The millionaire’s work would run counter to the saint’s; the bon-vivant and the philanthropist would trip each other up; and the philosopher and the lady-killer could not well keep house in the same tenement of clay. So the seeker of his truest, strongest, deepest self must review the list carefully, and pick out

the one on which to stake his salvation.”

Some selection there must be between competing and mutually exclusive goods. The intemperate man selects what appeals most forcibly to his sensibilities at the moment. The temperate man selects that which best fits his permanent ends. There is sacrifice in either case. The intemperate man sacrifices his permanent and social self to his transient physical sensations. The temperate man sacrifices his transient sensations in the interest of his permanent and social self.

The temptation to intemperance comes chiefly from a false abstraction of pleasure. Finding that some function is attended with pleasure, we perform the function for the sake of the pleasure; forgetting to consider the end at which the function aims, or even disregarding the end altogether. A man seizes on one or another of the more sensitive parts of his nervous system, and then contrives ways to produce constant or frequently recurrent excitation. Thus the glutton crams his stomach, not for the nourishment and vigor food will give him, but for the sensations of agreeable taste and comfortable distention. Muscle must toil, brain must plan, and every other organ do extra work, simply to give the palate its transient titillation and provide the stomach its periodic gorge…

The glutton’s gorging of his stomach, in so far as it produces a pleasurable feeling of distention, is good. If a man were nothing but a stomach, and that were made of cast iron, then gluttony would be not only good, but the highest good. If a man were nothing but a bundle of nerves, and these were of wire and never subject to reaction, then the man who could keep them thrilling most intensely by whiskey and champagne would be the wisest one of us all…If one were a heating-plant chimney, then smoking would be the best he could do. If a man need do nothing but dream, then to neglect the joys of opium or cocaine would be superlative folly.

The evil of these things is due to the greater good they displace. Man is more than stomach or nerves or nose or jaws or chimney or dreamer; and indulgence in these departments of his life, unless very carefully controlled and restricted, involves injury to more important sides of life, out of all proportion to the petty gains in these special departments in question…

[but] let us be careful not to confound a wise temperance with the absurdities and rigors of asceticism. Asceticism hates pleasure, and sets itself up as something superior to pleasure. Hence it is sour, narrow, repulsive. As Macaulay said of the Puritans, “They hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators;” so the ascetic seems to hate the pleasure there is in things, and to begrudge other people their joys and consolations.

True temperance is modest. It is nothing in itself, but, like courage, simply the handmaid of wisdom and justice to carry out their commands. Temperance does not hate pleasure. Temperance loves pleasure more wisely — that is all. The temperate man recognizes that the pleasure of an act is a pretty sure indication that the act has some elements of good. But temperance denies that pleasure is an indication of the relative worth of different acts. Reason, not pleasure alone, must decide that point. Temperance never cuts off an indulgence, unless it be to save some greater and more valuable interest of life. Temperance is always, if it is modest, and keeps its proper place as the handmaid of wisdom, engaged in cutting off a lesser to save a greater good. Its weapon and symbol is the pruning knife; and its aim and justification is that the vine of life may bear more and better fruit. To erect temperance into a positive principle, to be merely a temperance man or woman, to cut off the fair leaves of pleasure merely for the sake of cutting them off, is monstrous, unnatural, perverse. The great moral motive power of life must lie in the positive and pleasurable interests which wisdom and justice and faith and love lay hold upon. To cast out evil as an end in itself is as futile as to try to drive the air out of a room with a fan.

Temperance, indeed, often finds itself arrayed against the lower and intenser forms of pleasure. That is because, for purposes of her own, Nature has attached the keenest pleasures to those instincts which are most fundamental to the preservation of the individual and the perpetuation of the species. But temperance, if it be wise, — if, that is, it be truly moral — must ever justify itself by those personal and social goods at which wisdom and justice aim. Hence temperance, though an important virtue in its place, is yet a strictly subordinate one. No man can amount to much without constant practice of stern self-denial and rigid self-control. But a man who does nothing but that; the man who erects temperance into a positive principle, who believes that the pruning knife can bear fruit of itself, and despises the rich soil that feeds the roots and the sweet sap that nourishes the branches of the vine of life, is no man at all. The measure and value of our temperance is, not the indulgences which we lop off from the branches of life here and there, but the beauty and sweetness and worth of the fruit which is borne by our lives as a whole.

Edited by Pepperkorn