My Scott Stevens thread

Pepperkorn

Lil Peep.  ???

Im all happy my daughter’s current boyfriend likes the Devils. He’s wearing a Devils sweater. Then I am informed ... oh no, he’s not a fan of hockey even. He just likes Lil Peep. Lil peep is apparently a “sad boy” who sings about how much girls break his heart ... sounds kinda candy as to me...  

I think I’d go with azz for cuss word replacement rather than as.  

Edited by Pepperkorn
Editorial content
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

In the Late Season
by Tom Hennen

At the soft place in the snowbank
Warmed to dripping by the sun
There is the smell of water.
On the western wind the hint of glacier.
A cottonwood tree warmed by the same sun
On the same day,
My back against its rough bark
Same west wind mild in my face.
A piece of spring
Pierced me with love for this empty place
Where a prairie creek runs
Under its cover of clear ice
And the sound it makes,
Mysterious as a heartbeat,
New as a lamb.

I subscribe to the writers almanac podcast 😊. ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

Nothin too new. My mother is moving down here. Found a fabulous old fashioned place in Newtown PA. We were going to buy a bigger house and shed move in with us but this will be better. She can walk all over Newtown and not be stuck on a farm in the boondocks   So we found all my dads old fishing stuff. Two tackle boxes of Creek Chub lures from the 1940s. I’ll keep a few and frame them with an adorable photo I have of him fishing as a kid. The rest well sell on eBay and all go out fit a cute dinner somewhere fancy when my mom is all moved in. 
im amusing myself shoveling snow recreationally. I’m pigging OUT today Shrove Tuesday. Eating donuts because I’m not a pancake girl.  I’ll eat my last lot of processed white flour, sugar  etc. and spend the next 40 days and nights cleansing and feeling prentiously pious. Yeay me!  Ehhem— I mean Yeay Jesus!  Doin’ this thang together - fastin in the wilderness findin our way to clean hearts bodies minds and guts.
I’m going for a micro biome reboot. My boss is Mr Microbiome and I’ve been reading WAY too many papers on how amazing probiotics are. I think these things seriously work!!! Not to give away anything but watching lab studies as they go. I’m convinced!  So with Lent starting up it’s ideal to reboot the gut. Science and religion - perfect together. 

Edited by Pepperkorn
Typos. Duh? Why else edit. Man even Scott Stevens corrected my typos. I haven’t forgotten big guy ...

We have to clean out my dad’s 1997 Suburban. I think I’ll make my husband. My dad paid cash for it back in the day and until 2 years ago maintained it impeccably. I remember he put in a new transmission probably 10 years back and we were all so grumpy. Just buy a new freaking car!!! But he loved it 😁 he splurged for it (he paid cash for it, like his parents always did back when one could!) because he said it was probably the last car he’d own ( my dad thought he was a goner at 56 he was psyched to have made it to 61 back then! Who knew? He just was a massive party animal and thought he was going to have to pay the piper. Well ... 23 years later he sort of did.). He felt a little greedy buying such a huge car but he got tons of use out of it. Good thing my parents were cool because we took family vacations - multi family vacations in that car!  Lol. Even my daughter can’t go near it right now. She loves it. So many memories. Seriously - it’s got the emotions attachment of a house!!! 23 years!!!!! That’s INSANE!! 😂😂😂

Edited by Pepperkorn
To say my dad paid cash for it. Again we were all WTF? But he just had to once in his life)

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaand I just bought a Mulberry clutch bag.  I can write that here because no one cares. My friends would post it in “Insta 😁😁😁”.  I can’t even believe I did it. I just felt sorry for myself because I can’t get a camel hair coat in my size. The only place that has what I want (OConnels) has it in size huge.  So. I’ll console myself with a tweed with a black velvet color ... even though I’ll feel like I’m 10 again. 🙄. But I can’t really just buy it. Maybe I want a solid color?  And now I also want a black velvet box clutch.  And I’m going to need shoes for going back to work.  And I want a new house. But we’re putting in a septic so we can’t sells ours for another 2 months I’m guessing.  And I hate everything out there. I’m just feeling childish and self indulgent.  Whiiiiiiiiiine.   

• 1 month later...

Aaaaasaand... my daughter got into her dream college, my mother found her dream retirement home (which seemed an impossible task - a 1900s semi-private retirement village close to her daughters).    Our sheep are all being reunited in one farm that’s not ours. That means we’re getting rid of the sheep 🐑.   We are in the throes of buying a new house and selling our old. We’re currently half vaccinated. So... not much going on..... 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My moms movers stole a ton of her jewelry. It’s not that valuable but it’s the principal.  They stole her Dundee Football Club gold pendant necklace. It was her current treasure. She’s not even a footy fan but she loved that necklace.  Man. Steal from at 85 year old. What knobs.  

so, how are you Scotty?  What’s new? How’s the family?  Granddad yet?  Any weddings on the horizon? Any significant other you can’t stand but fear your kid is going to think s/he wants to marry?  Any monster children refusing to get out of the house?  Any monster children stomping out of the house making sure you think it’s to escape you?  Yeah.... me neither.  

good lawrd.  I just wrote principal.  I’m illiterate. It’s that simple. Or I’ve been thinking about how much money we’ll have to play with once our house sells?   In any event I despair of myself 

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Scotty, I think it’s time we both admit it. I just have better overall hockey fan sense than you. 

thanks to Lou for running the experiment for us. We’ve have the statistically relevant outcome.  Yes we both loved the Lamouriello Devils. Same location same system.   Perfection

so - let’s test the geography. We’ll even give your chosen locale the advantage of age.  Lou goes to Toronto. Your childhood team.  Look what happens.  Then he moves to Long Island. My childhood team.  You see where I’m going here?   

Toronto. The Leaves.  Stinko.  I’d just like you to publicly acknowledge it now. Pepperkorn is just a brilliant arm chair hockey aficionado . Not just because I happen to be her favorite player of all time.  Not just because she recognizes the brilliance of Lou Lamouriello. But her love of hockey was born in Minnesota her adoration of players in Long Island ( NOT Manhattan). And her formative years in Hamden Ct.  she’s been bred for it. Hockey fan perfection as I am hockey defence and leadership perfection. NB our flaws makes us perfect.

there. There’s your script.  Now go!  Gogogogogogogogogo!!!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bill. Good to read you 😁.  Life during COVId has been ridiculously busy. Major milestones left and right. 

We’re in Puerto Rico right now and wouldn’t you know I had a Stevens dream which turned into an Elias dream which turned into my dad dispensing valuable advise!  

I worked in some educational facility with Stevens but it wasn’t really hockey based. We were just getting to be friends and he offered me a ride home and I was thinking how awesome but that I’d better not make a habit of it or my husband would get the wrong idea. He pulled up in this flat sports car. But it was really flat.  And it wasn’t green it was kind of grass covered. And there were no doors. He was waiting for me to get in. Elias was in the back and I couldn’t figure out how they were fitting in. 

then somehow we got to we’re we were going and Elias met my sister and acted like he was totally dazzled by her. I was thinking dude your married! (My sister IRL is also 62 and chubby but very pretty) Then this really cute young blonde came up furious and in tears because her boyfriend like an old fat lady and I was thinking - hey dame, what about his wife? But Patty came over and calmed her down saying she was just working for him see?  And my sister was waiting tables I saw. And then the girl really blew up saying “you gave her a role in your show!?!”  And then I realized my sister landed a staring role on a TV show as a waitress. Patty said but look at her … look how charming she is!”  And I was freaked out because he WAS in love with her. I said to a friend next to me “ wow. My sister is going to be fine. She doesn’t have to change a thing.”  Then next to her from a guy sitting down with a crowd of people listening to everything he said, said “yeah, but look what drinking did to me” in that unmistakable way my dad spoke. And it was my dad. 
I said “Daddy!  It really is you!!! You can visit.” And he gave me a big hug and said “Oh yeah, I can go anywhere I want. Don’t worry about that. But you can’t do what I do!”

Then I woke up. 😁

so. I’ve got to cut back my drinking!!! During this holiday season from Thanksgiving through now it’s been just relentless partying with my husbands company. They have good cause that’s why it’s all kind of new and intense!  But it’s just too much.  Example:  (I’m no spring chicken now as you all know having had this Stevens thing going since 2001 🤪😂) I started out November at 137 lbs.  I am now 150!!!!!!!  My husband went from 200 to 225!!!!   Hahahahahahhahahah!   But it’s traumatic!  So. It’s been like a party every night and way too much good food and I have had like negative zero discipline eating crap I don’t even want and having that third drink!!!  So. I have to go back to my old lifestyle. No more of this “hey we need to cut loose a little”. Hahahaha. 

because I never get here anymore I love my daughters current boyfriend although he’s in the acting program. Oy vey.  He thinks too much like I do. But it’s great because I can speak to him in my subtle way and he understands EVERYTHING!  I think it’s actor speak, I do. It’s a particular kind of intuition. You just know things and you know when someone else does too and you just instantly trust. Anyhow. But he’s not that swell. She can dump him any time she wants and I’ll be behind her 100%. 

did you know sailing burns a lot of calories?  Just sayin.  

so well, that’s all. My nephew is indeed a Lou Lamouriello dream but they’ve taken him off d and made him a forward and he’s getting the sh!t kicked out of him!  Out for the season with the broken collar bone. He’ll be Ivy League but he has no faith in being on a team. I keep telling him to not underestimate his intelligence.  

oK. Enough.  Bye all!  Happy New Year!!!

• 2 months later...

We’re in Scotland!!   And fly fishing with a former Red Wing.  He retired in 1979 😁 he wasn’t there long. He’s from Sweden. Nice guy  so it’s sunny and chilly    But out of no where it’s snowing!  Like I feel like I’m skiing snowing.  I do love it here. We’re Speyside.  

• Like 1

BASEMENT
by Louis Jenkins

There's something about our basement that causes forgetting. I go down for something, say a roll of
paper towels, which we keep in a big box down there,
and as soon as I get to the bottom of the stairs I have forgotten what I came down there for. It happens to
my wife as well. So recently we have taken to working
in tandem like spelunkers. One of us stands at the
top of the stairs while the other descends. When the descendant has reached the bottom stair, the person
at the top calls out, "Light bulbs, 60 watt." This
usually works unless the one in the basement lingers
too long. I blame this memory loss on all the stuff in
the basement. Too much baggage: 10 shades of blue
paint, because we could not get the right color, extra dishes, bicycles, the washer and dryer, a cider press, a piano, jars of screws, nails and bolts.... It boggles the mind. My wife blames it on radon.

Louis Jenkins, “Basement” from Tin Flag: New and Selected Poems. © 2013  Will o’ the Wisp Books. Printed by permission of Ann Jenkins. 

have to save this and know I’ll find it here hahahha

• 3 weeks later...

Happy belated birthday. I didn’t forget but thought of my great grandfather before Scott Stevens.  Ahhh sigh. I’m growing up at last?   Nah

Our little solid pointer is now a Jr Hunter and passed her first of 4 qualifiers for Senior Hunter   The old farts are still here too  snoring and getting more disgusting by the month.  Emma is going to be 16 . She is totally deaf but still pretty fit and active   …. But so what?

I do think about Scotland   I kind of want to live there   My husband would choose Somerset and charming places  he want to move to Dolverton  I want to move to Aberlour  it’s not even Scottish charming  I just really liked it  but Ithunk Is just want to hang out in the river all day  get a meat pie or sausage roll from the local butcher  or a fancy cold meat pie from the fancy grocer   Eat tunnocks tea cakes and humbugs   I never wanted to even try a humbug before  I’ve always been kind of a self loathing UK descendant until all of my childhood favorites could only be found in Canada or the UK   I had no idea how disgustingly UK I am   I took pride in being like Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda well… again … so what. 😁.  Back to work!!!

yay Scott Stevens.  Hope all is well with you and the family 😁 

• 3 weeks later...

Stevens dream alert!  We were coworkers. We were shopping ina duty free shop at an airport. And I was that guy… the person who imitates everyone.  I kept on sneaking my Stevens imitation when he was on the other side of the shop. I was “Stevens, restocking shelves” and I’m not sure anyone thought it was funny or uncanny or wanted me to get busted because they kept asking me to do the imitation but didn’t really laugh or comment.  No idea why I didn’t want him to see. We were convivial coworkers   Hmm.  So that was that  

we might have to move to the Deep South. I’d hate it.  I’d reeeally hate it. I hate new homes to start with and that’s all they have down there.  And not on the shore.  I love water. Rivers actually to be specific.  There’s not much where we’d be looking.  And all the women love my husband there 😁. Everyone thinks he looks like Mark Ruffallo. But tall.  I don’t think Mark Ruffallo is cute but apparently everyone else does.   I’ve watched women chase us down in a panic. Then they say oh!  I thought you were someone else.  Then they turn back as they’re walking away and they’re still all giddy and breathless and ask if anyone has ever told him he looks like Mark Ruffallo. “You really do .  I don’t do this  giggle giggle. You really do’

apparently when I’m not there they cat call and ask him to hulk out and burst out of his shirt   He’s so not that guy I think it’s hilarious   He’s Bruce Banner-like scientist even  😂  luckily it doesn’t bug him    

• 1 month later...

I have a new obsession. Sailing. I love it!  It suits me so perfectly!!  We’ve been getting out about 3 times a week!!  Boat shopping now ❤️

its a hobby with purpose, can involve team work, tons of little busy work with lots of crap you can screw around with. It’s so chock full of things to do and yet you also get to totally chill out in an idyllic natural setting.  

yesterday I was heading to race night without a boat to race on and I felt just like I was going to a pickup hockey game  😁

Are you getting into sailing before heading south? Is this on Great Lakes size water or Barnegat Bay? 

My son and DiL crewed on a 10 meter sailboat out of Chicago before kids.

OTOH, Iwas talking  to a guy who grew up sailing on Barnegst Bay. He signedup for the Army (1965), and they sent him to military intelligence training. Killing time he discovered that the Army actually had a sailing team. So he got everyone he knew to write letters recommending him for this team. He got his permanent assignment to Fort Wainwright, near Fairbanks Alaska! One day his seargant calls him in, and says he cant believe what he was reading. The guy got orders for temporary assignment to crew the Army team in some warm weather clime. That continued off and on for the rest of hitch. 

Anyway, have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Point!  I’m up in Raritan Bay. Debating keeping her on the Sound because that’s where I grew up - on the CT side.  But I really like our club. Everyone is so chill. and we can’t leave our dogs for too long going away every weekend.  
We’re getting a beasty cruiser hopefully the middle of next month.  I’ll race on other peoples boats 😁

I am in love however with Prudence the ketch. You can find her online. Met her captain at a local eatery and got talking about sailing and he’s thinking of selling.  We took her out and I just fell madly in love ❤️❤️ But she’s all wood.  We just don’t have the time or skill. That’s what I keep telling myself 😁. That’s what my dad sailed on Lake Huron back in the day. Not a ketch but everything was wood back then. Hence the Peacock rotting in his buddy’s backyard 😢

Hope your son still finds time to sail! And you’re buddy was lucky!!! I think I’d be scared to really race!  I secretly want to do the Bermuda race one day.  Doubtful though.  

My sister and her husband sailed on LI Sound for a couple of years when they lived in CT, but their newborn son did not take too much to the activity and they moved to England and that kind of petered out.

Ten years ago we came up with an idea for a family vacation. Our two sons live in Seattle and Chicago, so it takes some planning. We decided to rent a sailboat from an operation in Nanaimo, British Columbia; on Victoria Island. Anyway, we had six adults and two very small children (5yo and 5mo). We spent a week sailing around the Channel Islands in a 40' sailboat. A great time was had by all. My 5yo granddaughter was thrilled with whale-watching. My wife brings up the idea now and again, but we would need an even bigger vessel now, and figure out how to squeeze it into the summer schedules .

Both sons are a lot more involved in water activities than their father. I have a 18' canoe and a 16' kayak. Neither requires renting a slip for the summer or storage for the winter. It seems to me that a boat of any larger size or components (ie an engine) requires more time and investment than I really want to spend. It's like a mistress that your spouse knows about and tolerates.  In the winter my wife and I will go down to the Manasquan Inlet and watch the boat traffic. Occasionally I get the urge to buy a 15-18' powerboat and cruise around Barnegat Bay and inshore water, but the urge passes, or I get home and have other stuff I suddenly have to deal with.    

Anyway, I am happy to hear about sailing on Raritan Bay. I see the boats and masts in that marina near Cheesequake on the GSP and think that its cool that the Bay is clean enough for so many folks to enjoy. Happy Sailing!

• 9 months later...

Haven’t written in here in a while. 
went back to Scotland- loved it.  

Went to Pointer Trial and Isaac Newton our puppy did his first puppy run. All the pup needs to do is show enthusiasm. Well Newt enthused himself into disqualification.  Everyone thought the judge was a dyck.

Mostly busy getting the boat back on the water. Not there yet. 

• Like 1

Ahh point. I wish I had more time to canoe. I’ve got my dad’s big broad Old Time Pathfinder. I use it once or twice a year. Afraid the sail boat will displace even that teeny amount of time I have with her. 
I grabbed my dads old fishing lures Mr Anal kept them in their original boxes so some are actually worth a little.  I want to frame them in a shadow box frame or in a curio table. I played with them so much  as a kid. Damm I always poked my fingers to death - never fail. It’s like I couldn’t leave them alone - they looked like toys. Anyhow. Hope all is well with Devils fans the word over.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...