My Scott Stevens thread

Pepperkorn

• 1 month later...

Hopefully he'll go back to the announcing thing.  Everyone here is so negative about anything he does.  I think that's weird. I'm a very detail oriented critical person and I dont have much problem with Stevens.  I'm pretty vocal about it when I do.  Everyone here kind of hates him though.  Maybe I just register the negative... but if it's just something arbitrary you can't improve upon -- why be a hater even?  If you're a Devils fan and all.

I guess I pick on Marty. :urg:  

People are negative about almost everything as of late.  I think this is the age of who can we blame for whatever reason.  People have to complain about something.  I have no problem with Stevens.  I don't have problems with a lot of the things the team is doing.  There is a lot of do as I say but not as I do.  It is what it is.

Did you read about his speaking at a town meeting where he was the only attendee?  He does what he does regardless of what people may think or say.  Gotta admire that. :)

http://www.newjerseyhills.com/bernardsville_news/news/bedminster-deer-hunt-plan-questioned-by-hockey-legend/article_03ef7d97-9a47-51bb-b5b6-487927c340ce.html

good for him.  Don't get me started on his fight though. 

Why doesn't he have livestock?  It's such an honor to have these little living beings share space with you.  I love my sheep so much.  Of course I think it's hypocritical to eat meat if you don't know what the animal has gone through.  If he had livestock I almost MIGHT believe he's more than just a trophy hunter. I understand where he's coming from -- but I'd prefer he not kid himself -- I mean it's one thing to BS hunting mag readers - but if he's BSing himself well that's a whole other kettle of fish. 

Livestock brings you more in to the day to day life of animals - their empathy and intelligence as well as their ruthlessness and stupidity. It's just makes that connection to life and the earth that much richer.

Edited by Pepperkorn
  • Like 1

Over the years, I have known folks with livestock.  One couple had sheep, chickens and pigs.  They were treated humanely.  When there was offspring they couldn't bring themselves to slaughter the wee ones for food.  Needless to say their farm soon was overrun with animals.  One day they had someone come to take them.  They kept the chickens and sheep.  She learned how to spin yarn and everyone they knew got something knitted that year.  I think they worked something out with other farmers like bartering animals for cuts of meat.

• 3 weeks later...

well I have more mulling to do over Stevens's future  :P

So... AHL would be nice.

See -- but Lou is hinting about Albany sucking... if the team is in Albany that works logistically for Stevens quite well - a fair bit of driving one way or the other...

In the end, where he ends up is all about chemistry.  Sorry big guy - that's who you are.  There is nothing NOT intimidating about him.  and if Stevens tried to modify who he is -- then he'll seem either weak and unsure or conniving and insincere waiting for that moment to pounce.  Only a secure Adam Oates kind of dude can handle what Stevens brings to the table.  Or a mentoring Pat Burns.  No sane young guy is going to want or need Stevens by his side.

I'm only sad because this won't be easy.  I mean it's going to be a totally different kind of work --- it's finding a job.  Stevens has never had to find a job.  The opportunity to work has always fallen in his lap. To hear him talk he truly has no idea what it is like to  - how can I even say this... to have such a general starting point.  Anything I write can be argued against but the fact remains he has no idea what it's like to not have a job, to not know the path, to not be wanted ...all at this BASIC a level.  It's not a joyous blank slate ... it's standing outside the art store dude, with NO CLUE what you need to get started and no one there to tell you in a way that you are capable of understanding.  I have total faith in him but some preconceived notions and personal preferences would need to be shelved. It's career, not a sideline.  He kind of sort of doesn't seem like that's really worth it to him. 

I get it - I do.  "What do you love?"  HOCKEY!  It wins hands down... or does it? is the thing... I guess that's what I'm thinking... pursuing hockey has never been a hassle like this. I've kind of been there is the thing. That's why a career in acting BLOWS!  The top echelon suddenly - it all turns into just bullsh!t.  You cant just do your thing, do what you do best.  It becomes totally subjective at that point - I found I just didn't need that.  I was always envious it wasn't like hockey where you can just have that time where you shut everyone up.  There is no debate - you are simply fvcking awesome.  In acting that's all in a closed room and fvcknuts do get to say -- yeah but see, I don't care - I want my kind of loser friend to get the job - END OF STORY!  or some guy who didn't even see you says no you have to use my buddy.  Well - Stevens will have to confront that all the time just to get off the ground.  And people can easily substantiate the claim he's nothing special when it's about coaching.  I just know... I know and understand his threshold. I'd be impressed and think it would be worth it if he changed his boundaries and stuff... hahah  he thinks he has I suddenly feel... heeheehee.   I'm not being negative.  It's totally possible for him to do this... :noclue:  well and there it is... but he doesn't HAVE to.  See I didn't have to... so I didn't.  and I'm glad.... but what's really difficult is to have to say "because I really don't give a sh!t" about something you do care very deeply for...

ok so.... no idea what I just wrote nor do I care so I;m just going to tap my li'l finger tip on Post  :P

Edited by Pepperkorn

I understand PK.  I wonder how he feels never knowing what it means to be unemployed.  At least he shouldn't have to worry about income.  Most players invest along the way and I will assume he did also.  They make so much money compared to the average person.  I think he should take time off, enjoy his family, get away from the game for a while and figure out what he wants to do next. 

I think somewhere along the line he will end up in the hockey world again.  I would like him in the organization however the times they are a changing.  He will land on his feet and on his terms.  At least he doesn't have to worry about his pension being bought out like I am.  Suddenly I may have no pension check anymore.  Don't know what will happen but Scot will never have to worry about this stuff.  He will be fine.  Think positive. :)

Well, see, that's what I mean --- when you don't have to work, it cuts down on your ambition. Complacency can only take your happiness level so high. There needs to be achievement.  Family isn't an achievement - it's a support system.  You support each other through your rises and falls.  His kids now have to experience those every day highs and lows on their own -- I mean they HAVE to.  Really everyone does.  Even in joint ventures people follow their own path bringing the whole to success.  There is no such thing as taking time to enjoy life... not on a full time basis.  that's just sloth...probably accompanied by gluttony

Hashtag first world problems.  My daughter seriously talks like that to her friends. She was talking about a year end party to her friend - not texting but talking "it's going to be so fun. I can't wait.  Yeah!  Hashtag summer is here!"  but back on point...

The door to hockey has not been closed.  Clearly he feels that niggling.  He's not like Marty who seems to actually enjoy kind of just floating and interacting discovering whatever purpose comes to him.  Stevens isn't like Neidermayer who seems to be able to peripherally observe --  comprehending the entire picture, then make his move -- while all the while being completely comfortable if his opportunity never presents itself. Stevens seems like he likes structure and forward progression - it seems like he needs to feel he makes things happen. 

I dont think I know him or that I am brilliantly intuitive - I just feel the discomfort of the situations he finds himself in.  It's my discomfort. I hope he doesn't feel it!

I dont want Stevens to shut himself off under the guise of enjoying his down time and doing things he's always dreamed of but never had the time.  He,s been doing that and it sucks.  (but he should farm.  He'd like that.  Being surrounded by life would make his head explode with happiness.  Hunting gets life confused with death.) 

Things come to him when he puts himself out there.  He started his announcing career and then all this stuff came to him, fell in his lap.  I hate that people here looked at his announcing just as what it was, in that place and time.  It was a good job for him, to be in there to find out guys relate to him -- his vision will be broadened and he'll learn important skills.  BUT -- will it take him in the wrong direction and then one days he'll think well ... this kind of isn't where I wanted to be but...  That's not a fun feeling 

If only he wasn't so obvious.  if only he didn't think of things the way he does.  I hate that Neidermayer will sit on his fat ass playing with his kids fighting for the rights of geese the world over  -- then one day after apparently dabbling (he'd actually have been secretly lurking and seeing and learning) in coaching the dude will win the Jack Adams and everyone will say how fvcking brilliant he is but ... it's like he CHEATED!  I can't be like him... I'd fvck up if I tried. or I'd be somewhere I didn't want to be.  LIKE HE ACTS when he arrives where I'd like Stevens to be....   AHHH!  :argh: 

I do believe in taking time to enjoy life.  I wish I had taken time to enjoy life while I was working and soon after I retired.  I didn't have the luxury because my bones got in the way.  Now I would love to work or volunteer or do something.  Physically I cannot.  Change of scenery is a good thing when life becomes stagnant.  I am still aiming to move to the Carolinas.

Since Stevens was blessed with athletic ability and  been quite successful, a change may help  He could look to working at the college or junior level where he can help those who want play hockey. See how the others struggle and help.  Try different things and then pursue which one you like best.  There is more to hockey than coaching.  Scouting?  Player development?  Farming would be great since he has a respect for life.  Yes he hunts but he doesn't hunt on those closed farms and kill those with no chance of escape.

My perspectives have changed over the years.  It is fabulous to hear that your daughter isn't hooked on social media.  I don't do any social media.  I don't even own a smart phone. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder if Stevens ever had Lyme before.

I just did.  Well probably still do a little.

It wasn't that bad.  I just felt like I had worked out MASSIVELY!  then I started to get this bizarro intermittent fever... then I got a bullseye on my ass :evil:  well... the back of my leg but ass sounds more funny.

So I dont think Stevens signed on for the Ice Vault thing.  I was telling my nephew to sign up... but I dont think he's doing it this year now.  :saddevil:

• 6 months later...

I'm still bitter.

But I have NHL tonight... or last night as the case may be. :P

I don't think the Devils stink that badly but everyone I speak to thinks they do. I don't think any one sees such a huge difference in anything Whatshisface vs Lou. It's not so bad --- but hockey in general I don't know - just a shift in philosophy I think isn't helping make the game better.  :noclue: 

I guess there's just shifts every 20 years or so, separated by ten years of real nice hockey product, what I consider more pure hockey.  This is just weird because the whole of the NHL just seems like confused hockey on the whole.  Not sure why - no one seems to be too driven by ego - but things don't mesh.  It's like no team wants to find their own game.  They want to either play the other teams game or try to figure out why one team is winning and copy it.  It's very odd - a game of seekers not real practicers of the game of hockey. There's not a lot of personality.

I'm into Pointers and sheep still.  We lost a set of lambs born too early last week.  It looks like we have another set of twins coming though.  We're re-doing our kitchen.  I'm sleepy.  Hope everyone is happy and well!

Very cool.  Wonder how much he gets up there anyhow.  Yes... :blush: I do always look for him on 87 on the way home from Albany  :giggle:

That's why I was so shocked to see him on the exit yelling at the poor old coot blocking the (illegal mind you) right exit to his New Bromley short cut... <_< particularly when I was thinking this eejit looks like Larry David -- WAIT -- WTF?!?!?!  That's why you never trust an eyewitness.  once I thought a young woman in a pony tail looked like... well... a fat Larry David... I guess I expect every driver to be Larry David come to think of it... :huh:  :mellow:

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 weeks later...

PK, it makes me very happy to see you are still posting in this thread. I had the urge to check out NJ Devs when the Sens played the Devils the other day, wondering if PK was still on the Scott Stevens bandwagon (that is not the right phase but brain not working). I am pleased to see that you are :)

• 2 months later...

Haha!  Hey 3stars!  I'm sporadically here these days.  I'm killer loyal so of course if I were to have a crush on anyone it would be Scott Stevens still. 

and I am here to write that... indeed... I had a Scott Stevens dream last night.  No idea why.  woohoo!

and here it is the dream I dreamt:

So... my best friend had searched high and low to find a Scott-Stevens-alike for me and was very excited to introduce me to a German scientist she had found.  He was sitting at the bar in a black suit white shirt and black tie - a massive stuffed shirt, with a drink in his hand -- he looked like Scott Stevens's twin, but much lighter hair and a long goatee that came almost to a little point. It seemed he was completely in love with me because I actually knew him.  I was saying how I wouldn't go for it because he was all goofy and lovey dovey and didn't even know me so... it was just stupid. 

Then the real Scott Stevens came in dressed in kind of sportywear, looking all collegiate jock-y.  He was surrounded by buddies and somehow knew that this guy was going to try to make his move on me.  Stevens wasn't going to do a thing to stop him, but he was all possessive and grumpy that I had lost interest in him -- so he was playing all grumpy cool very obviously ignoring me. I was thinking I thought he doesn't even know who I am -- what the heck with the attitude?

Then Mr Scientist said he knew I really only liked the real Stevens and they weren't the same so he'd help make Stevens jealous and told me to come with him.  He started to dance with me right in front of Stevens and his friends.  But he started dancing really gay - line dancing and acting like a queen and stuff it was sexy but SO GAY it made me laugh hysterically (I think because I saw Chubby Guy Dances to Can't Stop The Feeling that's going around facebook for real yesterday). I finally got to say "DUDE!  He's not going to be jealous of me dancing with a raging Queen!"  Scientist said "Well, this way he'll know he still has a chance with you" I just rolled my eyes still laughing, then German dude said "well, here's the real plan" and pulled me into a slow dance like a normal guy and got me laughing and talking and I started thinking "Oh no... you're just like I imagine the real Scott Stevens -- I'm not doing this.."  I tried to act like I cared what the real Scott Stevens was thinking to get away from scientist dude - I saw Stevens drinking and acting all dudelike and macho insecure and then I was thinking how warm scientist dude was dancing with me...

then I woke up thinking Wait a sec! I'm not done!  but I was all cozy under the covers with dogs and my husband so I didn't try to get back into the dream  :P Whenever I'm all cozy asleep I have snuggly dreams.  How funny I haven't seen Stevens in a while.  s he still on NHL onight or whatever he was doing?  like anyone will answer  :D 

Hope all is well with everyone! Same old same old here.

• 2 months later...

had to share my dream last night.... yes... another one.

So Scott Stevens was waiting in bed for me... how, why, I have no idea... I mean, I know why, but not why --  all I know is he was there, waiting for me, in the bed, at the end of the hall and I was too scared to move.  It was like a horror movie!  How hilarious is that?  and what can it possibly mean?

well... now that I actually consider the meaning...

I think it's fear of change.  Our lives our actually in a state of flux now and we're not sure if we're going to move or stay or REALLY move. And what with Scott Stevens's change in circumstance, I guess I was just sort of equating the 2 situations?  Luckily St Paul is not on the table for us right now.  I wouldn't be too eager to go out there right now either.  It was idyllic when I was a little kid -- now... mehh -- it's like living in New Rochelle with none of the benefits of NYC.   Time marches on. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Moved our guys up the hill.  The big brown boy is the goofy smiling boy from 2 years ago.  We're using our hill for our vertical grazing Shetlands.  I have a psycho feeding them grass fuel infused from a mower who refuses to believe they like brush better than grass.  *sigh*.  My neighbor has to catch him. He raced away when he sees us. And I'm sharing my husbands skirt with you . Heehee would Steves wear that?  My dad, husband, and brotherinlaw would say his calves would look a $&@1load better.  Heehee. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And that's my daughters rump so ...  She's a monster.  They keep trying to recruit her for sports. First field hockey then lacrosse because she's so violent errrr.... agressive.  Hahaha. Now a formal recommendation for track because she's a fast sprinter.  She just does singing and theatre though. 

• 1 month later...

Aye yay yay.  I ditched Facebook.  I might go back because I did reconnect with people there.  But they won't let my husband join.   I think they think I made him up.  Hahahaha. That's a bad thing to post here huh?  I tagged him on all the cute photos I had within 2 hours of his creating his account.  He always makes me log on so he can look at all my Pointer dog groups heehee.  So finally he joins and they suspend him.  His friends who friended me to follow him think it's hilarious because Facebook is just not him.  So now facebook wants him to upload personal identification documents!?!?!?  WTF???   I think they're odd   I think the site is creepy now   Hmmph

So my make believe husband is going to St Paul Friday.  Just in and out.  I want him to take pictures of our old house.  It was Arthur Anderson row housing.  I think it might be a slum now though.  

I don't know where to tell him to eat.  His boss will know I'm sure.  They party freaking HARD!!!!   At least I get invited.    I'm bored.  Scotty Stevens,. What's it like to be some nutters default setting when her mind is a blank?   

No dreams to report.  some of my sheeps spawn live down the road from Stevens. He's sired fab lambs. But no one wants him.  He's bred everyone in town haha!!  We'll show him again this year and try to sell him in New England I guess.  

We had/have a freaking Fisher Cat in our woods.  We think he's moved on but he ate my neighbors chickens. And had the nerve to show his adorable fuzzy face trying to grab another bite.  Anyhow. And we have this creepy night bird who ate their chickens a few weeks ago and I'd say owl but it doesn't hoot. Who will answer all my questions ...  Sigh.  

My nephew is a hockey maniac now. His team is sort of good.  Yeah well.  Bye then. :-)

• 8 months later...

Been a while -- got my DNA done (how original)  Now I'm obsessed with genealogy instead of Scotty...  Seriously -- i am having amazing dreams of survival in the Maine wilderness... weirdest was two gods came to show me what it was like settling Maine - they were half kind of Norse and half native American. I was learning so much then the hairy white guy god said "OK that's enough for now - go with her" and there was a black crow and she turned into an old woman sort of in widows rags - and she held out her hand and made me think she had a different story to tell but instead she was bringing me back to my normal life... I felt so duped! and then I woke up and felt like... hmm so this is how A Christmas Carol got written...

So here's the breakdown because I know everyone is so interested -- its' so gripping to everyone in real life <_<

25% lowland Scott
25% Welsh
40% Germanic UK - you can't really tease out what is UK and what is Hanoverian/Danish
9% Cornish
and 1% northern european unidentifiable... whatever that means.

It really is all astrology - knowing what I know about DNA and genetics and coupled with my known ancestry I can pretty much tell whats what.  My mitochondrial line (U5) is Lapland/Finn -- the Saami people.... from 35-50K years ago.

THEN I got into my ancestry...my maternal grandmother who felt VERY Scottish and I always poo-pooed (because my paternal name has a tartan and crest and the whole 9 yards "My DAD is Scottish not you guys") - is ridiculously Scottish although it's all USA diaspora - TOTAL intermarrying other Scotts only - 1700 until my great grandfather married a Brit in 1905.  Every single clan feud she harped on -- yes - they all carried over into the US and it goes back hundreds of years - wack-job NEVER FORGET Scottspeople... and of course my great grandmother who insisted her family wasn't Welsh, but Scottish -  even though everyone spoke Welsh (much to her chagrin - it was a big deal to her) is - obviously - Welsh. :D

My dad's line shocked the heck out of me.  That I can so easily trace it was the biggest shock.  Again - the brushed off family history -- "Oh we've been here forever" DUDE -- PRE-MAYFLOWER?!?!? It's psycho.  Pemaquid ME - looks this up - it's amazing - bustling before Plymouth even.  Plymouth MA AND Jamestown? This one I'm not so sure of -- the Chewes - he was back and forth UK to US - my line picks up in Maryland - I didn't get this all documented yet though.  ANYHOW - my Dad's German side turns out yes - one great great grandfather came from Germany - but the German he married in the US started out as Puritan in MA and went Anabaptist and moved to Amish country PA - then OH and turned Lutheran.  Other Puritan families in our line went Quaker or Unitarian.  But his patrilineal line - which is my Scottish maiden name - yeah it is straight practical Scotsman and goes all the way back to 1600s -  just hard working apolitical dudes - they must have been hot because they landed quality women.  4 generations of fishermen/sailors who then turned into 4 generations of farmers (here they waxed into semi-literacy) - who then turned into businessmen in the industrial age.  My grandmother brushed our fishermen off as "Oh we've got pirates..."  Well they were supposedly marauding naval officers (Sols and Sailors) - one of my grandfather's regements left Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys out in the cold one battle so they got all pissy and called them opportunistic pirates -- fine, be that way.... but it's insane that this all got carried down in family oral tradition the way it did.  

My dad's father is the New Englanders and his mother is the mid-atlantic.  I was so scared I'd find Confederates in her line and only one guy was in the Revolutionary War ( I have over 10 grandfathers in DAR records - I thought I only had ONE when started this - stopped counting at 10) - so then I was bumming about loyalists -- but they were Quakers.  Except the Shakespears who were loyalists (and Quaker  ??) - and from Stratford UK -- but of course not related to William - well cousins ... all documented out because everyone wanted to be related to William  Hahahaha!  What IS funny is one of my grandmothers family - unrelated to the Shakespeare line - was also from Stratford UK - and were great friends with the Shakespeare family.  The Kinney/Quinney family.  The world is so small.

Oh and don't get me started on how my fitbit keeps me amused.  Thats sleep thing -- how fun is that?  and I think of this because today Ive come up with a new brilliant idea... I am seeing what minimal activity looks like.  I have remained inactive for 5 hours, not getting in my 250 steps - ignored each reminder... lets see... sadly because i live on a hill and did check on the sheep have gotten in two flights of stairs.but my total steps today -- an impressive 2050!   It's almost 2pm!!!!  HAHAHAHA!  I've burned 896 calories today!  OMG!!! You know... I bet Stevens would not have the discipline to do this. Seriously.  I'm not really doing well with it my lazyassed self even. Writing on this board helps keep activity to a minimum. I think we all get worked up just to increase our heart rates as we obsessively sit on our butts...(REMINDER - need to get in 233 more steps this hour... oh no I won't!)

OHHHH and the snow storms!  That got me fitbit spastic!  I reached my daily goals every day before noon! Tree work is freaking AMAZING for burning calories and getting the old cardio vascular system in gear - we lost 5 trees and one almost took out the house - but missed by mere inches. SO Last week I had to get me maximums with no actually necessary yard work to be done.  I was trying for the whole month exceeding my goals daily.  Until I missed my first hour activity goal today.... I'm so grumpy that I decided to do NOTHING! &*$^&*)%)*  I'll show you fitbit!   

OK... so.  that's that. Hope all is well with everyone.  Don't know when I'll get back.  OH I had one weird Stevens dream but it was just a glimpse with no plot really - he just walked by in a hallway - I was in a school or hospital and saw these little blue caps on things... but couldn't see them clearly - like syringes or tubes -- I think because I'd been to the dentist in real life that week and watched the womens Olympic hockey game during my cleaning.  Oh hey -- it's almost Stevens birthday too!  

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 months later...