GDT Devils vs. Blues

ZeroGravityFat

I'm just going to say, that only players like Kovy and Zach can make a cross ice pass like that, and take a pass like that and score. However, shootout was disappointing especially after that terrible high stick goal..

I'm also tempted to say put Elias back on the 2nd line, because Sykora just looks lost without 26. Aside from that really nice pass up the boards leading to a goal, he's invisible. However, our 3rd line is really looking nasty with Poni-Henrique-Bernier.

Sykora has really vanished offensively...2 G and 4 A for 6 points in his last 16 GP...somehow it feels like less. I wasn't really expecting much from him scoring-wise anyway.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is getting spoiled around here...we got sent to OT off a crappy goal from the Blues and our stars choked in the shootout. It is gonna happen over the course of the season. Let's take our one point and move on.

This is what I mean. Choked?

Kovy's been as automatic on these as is humanly possible. 8-for-10?! If anything, I give Elliot credit for sealing up the five hole...you can tell that's where Kovy wanted to go, but Elliot closed off that option so quickly that Kovy was like "Oh sh!t, what now?" Elliot beat him on that one.

As for Zach, sh!t happens. He hasn't been as good on these lately, but I think DeBoer should keep going to him for now. I think he'll get it going again in shootouts.

This is what I mean. Choked?

Kovy's been as automatic on these as is humanly possible. 8-for-10?! If anything, I give Elliot credit for sealing up the five hole...you can tell that's where Kovy wanted to go, but Elliot closed off that option so quickly that Kovy was like "Oh sh!t, what now?" Elliot beat him on that one.

As for Zach, sh!t happens. He hasn't been as good on these lately, but I think DeBoer should keep going to him for now. I think he'll get it going again in shootouts.

I agree with the Kovy part and he has been excellent at the shootouts all year. This was just one where the goalie got him.

As for Zach, I think maybe next time he should not take the shot in favor of someone like Henrique or even Clarkson. I know we want Zach to break out of this and that is where the feeling of keep putting him in these comes from, but honestly when the extra point is on the line do you just keep putting him in there praying that he will break out of his funk? I have no problem with players working through their slumps but shootouts is not someplace I really want them to do that.

good pp. horsecrap call on Foster, wasn't moving and just bumped him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2cTxiWsy4&feature=player_embedded

THAT little bump is worth 5, a game misconduct and possible call from the Safety Nazi?

If Shanny issues anything for that, it's complete over kill

Edited by Legion15

I agree with the Kovy part and he has been excellent at the shootouts all year. This was just one where the goalie got him.

As for Zach, I think maybe next time he should not take the shot in favor of someone like Henrique or even Clarkson. I know we want Zach to break out of this and that is where the feeling of keep putting him in these comes from, but honestly when the extra point is on the line do you just keep putting him in there praying that he will break out of his funk? I have no problem with players working through their slumps but shootouts is not someplace I really want them to do that.

Zach is 6-for-12 this season (50%). Lifetime he's 27-for-59 (45.8%). Only five guys ahead of him in lifetime shooting% with roughly the same of amount of attempts (58 or more), and they don't have him beat by much. I think he's earned the chance to snap out of this.

By comparison, Kovy is 19-for-52 lifetime (36.5%). What he's done this season is off the charts for him, really...he was 11-for-42 before this year (26.2%).

Zach is 6-for-12 this season (50%). Lifetime he's 27-for-59 (45.8%). Only five guys ahead of him in lifetime shooting% with roughly the same of amount of attempts (58 or more), and they don't have him beat by much. I think he's earned the chance to snap out of this.

By comparison, Kovy is 19-for-52 lifetime (36.5%). What he's done this season is off the charts for him, really...he was 11-for-42 before this year (26.2%).

And how many extra points are we willing to lose while we wait for Zach to snap out of it? We are a 5-8 seed team and we could use all the extra points we can get.

Shootouts are a funny thing where someone's stats at these can vary quite a bit from season to season. Kovy is a monster at these this year and we should def have him in there, but with Zach and to an extent Elias in a funk the last few times I think we should give others a shot at it.

And how many extra points are we willing to lose while we wait for Zach to snap out of it? We are a 5-8 seed team and we could use all the extra points we can get.

Shootouts are a funny thing where someone's stats at these can vary quite a bit from season to season. Kovy is a monster at these this year and we should def have him in there, but with Zach and to an extent Elias in a funk the last few times I think we should give others a shot at it.

The problem here is you're making Kovy the standard by which all others should be judged. The only player close to him this season with about the same amount of attempts as Kovy is Malkin (7-for-9). Kovy has been damned near automatic for sure this season, but most seasons 50% is very good for anyone.

So basically you want to bail on someone if they're not constantly burying pucks in the shootout to the tune of what Kovy's pulled off.? Like I've said, Zach is at 50% on the season. He was probably due to slow up a little after his quick start to the season. You're not going to get season performances like Kovy's in this thing very often. Zach's track record in these is very, very good.

The problem here is you're making Kovy the standard by which all others should be judged. The only player close to him this season with about the same amount of attempts as Kovy is Malkin (7-for-9). Kovy has been damned near automatic for sure this season, but most seasons 50% is very good for anyone.

So basically you want to bail on someone if they're not constantly burying pucks in the shootout to the tune of what Kovy's pulled off.? Like I've said, Zach is at 50% on the season. He was probably due to slow up a little after his quick start to the season. You're not going to get season performances like Kovy's in this thing very often. Zach's track record in these is very, very good.

Please show me the part of my postsh here where I am explicitly comparing Kovy to Parise in the shootout for this season. I have never said such a thing and I even stated that Kovy is doing an amazing job this year and probably leads the league, so yes it would be unfair to judge Zach to Kovy just this year alone in shootouts.

What I am saying is that Zach has been slowing down and what is the harm in giving the other guys a chance? I really do not want to wait another 3-4 shootouts or whatever it takes for him to get out of the current funk he is in. While we are doing pretty friggin well this year considering all things, we still cannot leave those points on the table when there will most likely be only a few points separating 5th seed and 10th seed. We just cannot leave those points on the table.

Edited by DevsMan84

So annoyed at the call on Foster... Even then, a game misconduct... really? The hit on Greene two seconds before was worse.

How about Berglund in the NY Post admitting his goal was a high stick?

I feel like that second point was stolen from us...

I guess it's karma considering the good calls we've gotten lately... but still.

So annoyed at the call on Foster... Even then, a game misconduct... really? The hit on Greene two seconds before was worse.

How about Berglund in the NY Post admitting his goal was a high stick?

I feel like that second point was stolen from us...

I guess it's karma considering the good calls we've gotten lately... but still.

Eh we kinda had this coming for a bit lately. We have gotten away with some calls the last few games and I guess this is Karma.

We still got a point out of this and from what I remember that over the past few recent seasons St. Louis have always given us some trouble at home.

Also, the more I watch, the more I feel that the deal for Poni was a steal.

Please show me the part of my postsh here where I am explicitly comparing Kovy to Parise in the shootout for this season. I have never said such a thing and I even stated that Kovy is doing an amazing job this year and probably leads the league, so yes it would be unfair to judge Zach to Kovy just this year alone in shootouts.

What I am saying is that Zach has been slowing down and what is the harm in giving the other guys a chance? I really do not want to wait another 3-4 shootouts or whatever it takes for him to get out of the current funk he is in. While we are doing pretty friggin well this year considering all things, we still cannot leave those points on the table when there will most likely be only a few points separating 5th seed and 10th seed. We just cannot leave those points on the table.

So Zach's success in the past means nothing, and he doesn't get another chance, or should be shoved aside for someone else? How do you know how many shootouts it will take for him to get going? For all we know his next attempt might be successful. This "funk" came out of nowhere...he could get rolling the same way, just at suddenly.

Points left on the table? They're 9-3 in the shootout this year. What are they supposed to be, 12-0? Hate to break it you, but a .750 winning% is pretty damned good. No matter who you throw out there, you're not winning every last shootout.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So Zach's success in the past means nothing, and he doesn't get another chance, or should be shoved aside for someone else? How do you know how many shootouts it will take for him to get going? For all we know his next attempt might be successful. This "funk" came out of nowhere...he could get rolling the same way, just at suddenly.

Points left on the table? They're 9-3 in the shootout this year. What are they supposed to be, 12-0? Hate to break it you, but a .750 winning% is pretty damned good. No matter who you throw out there, you're not winning every last shootout.

And conversely, if he misses his next attempt, do we just say "aw shucks" and then just keep him in it again and then if he misses that just repeat? I know I am jumping to the worst possible conclusion, but it can happen. What is the harm in trying someone else for a change? Don't a lot of coaches ride a goalie who is winning and then when they start losing put in their backup, and if he wins start riding him until he starts losing before putting the starter back in there? Why is it different now for Zach or any skater in the shootout?

Yes, I am not going to argue about their record in the shootout as 9-3 is excellent, but we aren't winning a lot of these in regulation like the other teams at or ahead of us so we need to win these shootouts to stay competitive and keep pace. Hell you have said it yourself that if it wasn't for the shooutout, this team would would be further down the standings and possibly struggling to even be in the top 8 in the conference.

Edited by DevsMan84

This game really makes me dislike the shoot out system. The Devils should have won that game but I'm guessing if the Devils won I'd be like "ya! The devils are awesome in the SO. I love it!"

Another reason why last nights loss sucks is because now that the Devils have proven they can win 5 straight vs. excellent teams (besides MTL), its almost like the Devils are expected to win every night. That's just my POV.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

And conversely, if he misses his next attempt, do we just say "aw shucks" and then just keep him in it again and then if he misses that just repeat? I know I am jumping to the worst possible conclusion, but it can happen. What is the harm in trying someone else for a change? Don't a lot of coaches ride a goalie who is winning and then when they start losing put in their backup, and if he wins start riding him until he starts losing before putting the starter back in there? Why is it different now for Zach or any skater in the shootout?

Yes, I am not going to argue about their record in the shootout as 9-3 is excellent, but we aren't winning a lot of these in regulation like the other teams at or ahead of us so we need to win these shootouts to stay competitive and keep pace. Hell you have said it yourself that if it wasn't for the shooutout, this team would would be further down the standings and possibly struggling to even be in the top 8 in the conference.

I'm going with the proven commodity. Zach's track record dictates that he will likely get it going. Even WITH his little funk he's still at 50% on the season. I don't see who else would be a better bet in his place.

As for the goalie argument, depends on the goalies. If there's no clear #1, then yeah. If there's a guy with a history of success, his team will stay with him longer.

Eight out the Devils' last 10 wins have come in regulation. A ninth has come in overtime. So they're trending better as to how the wins are coming.

One last thing about the Devils and shootouts...even with last night's 0-for-3, they're a ridiculous 20-for-36 on their shot attempts this season (55.6%), and yes, this number leads the NHL. To put that in perspective, only six other teams have managed to shoot 40% or better this season. Since the shootout was implemented, exactly TWO teams have shot for a higher season percentage.

As much as some may want to think that somehow the Devils could or should somehow be better than they've been, and that putting new players in will somehow improve an already stellar shootout season, they're actually due to fall back a little bit.

And guess which team has the highest team shooting% since the shootout was implemented? The Devils at 41.4%. That is a full 3.9% higher than the second-place team. As you can see if you click on the link, the Devils stand significantly ahead of the rest of the crowd:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSAZALL&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=shootoutTeamCareerTotals

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

One last thing about the Devils and shootouts...even with last night's 0-for-3, they're a ridiculous 20-for-36 on their shot attempts this season (55.6%), and yes, this number leads the NHL. To put that in perspective, only six other teams have managed to shoot 40% or better this season. Since the shootout was implemented, exactly TWO teams have shot for a higher season percentage.

As much as some may want to think that somehow the Devils could or should somehow be better than they've been, and that putting new players in will somehow improve an already stellar shootout season, they're actually due to fall back a little bit.

And guess which team has the highest team shooting% since the shootout was implemented? The Devils at 41.4%. That is a full 3.9% higher than the second-place team. As you can see if you click on the link, the Devils stand significantly ahead of the rest of the crowd:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSAZALL&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=shootoutTeamCareerTotals

I don't really see anyone here (well, no one who is over the top dramatic at least) have said that the Devils are in any way or shape not good at the shootout. I think it is quite amazing that we are 9-3 now and that is not something to sneeze at.

At least for me all I have said is Parise just has been a little cold lately and why not try another player for him instead? We went up against a goalie who basically shut us out from when he went in the game last night and we really needed a little extra something and not sure if sending in a player who has been struggling lately at the shoot out is the best option.

Honestly I am not upset at all that we lost last night and still happy we came out with at least a point. I just think we could use all the points we can get since again we are not winning games in regulation and have to get the full two points in these skills competitions.

Eight out the Devils' last 10 wins have come in regulation. A ninth has come in overtime. So they're trending better as to how the wins are coming.

DevsMan84, I pointed out that they ARE winning games in regulation...at least they are now.

DevsMan84, I pointed out that they ARE winning games in regulation...at least they are now.

Lately, they are. I wonder where in the standings we would be without those shootout points though. We are only 5 points ahead of 9th place.

Regardless you are right that indeed they are winning in regulation so hopefully there will be less nail-biters and having to go in shootouts even though we are excellent at them. I guess I am just looking at it in a glass half-empty sense.

Also thanks for the stats on the other thread too about the Devils and the shootout. I figured they have been pretty good over the years as it always seems they win more at them than they lose, but didn't know we have been the best. :cheers:

I don't really see anyone here (well, no one who is over the top dramatic at least) have said that the Devils are in any way or shape not good at the shootout. I think it is quite amazing that we are 9-3 now and that is not something to sneeze at.

At least for me all I have said is Parise just has been a little cold lately and why not try another player for him instead? We went up against a goalie who basically shut us out from when he went in the game last night and we really needed a little extra something and not sure if sending in a player who has been struggling lately at the shoot out is the best option.

Honestly I am not upset at all that we lost last night and still happy we came out with at least a point. I just think we could use all the points we can get since again we are not winning games in regulation and have to get the full two points in these skills competitions.

I would rather take Elias out of the SO. As much as I love the guy, I haven't seen him doing anything recently especially, but didnt even do much over the course of the year. At least Parise has done work earlier this year, and is a better breakaway candidate anyway

Lately, they are. I wonder where in the standings we would be without those shootout points though. We are only 5 points ahead of 9th place.

Regardless you are right that indeed they are winning in regulation so hopefully there will be less nail-biters and having to go in shootouts even though we are excellent at them. I guess I am just looking at it in a glass half-empty sense.

Also thanks for the stats on the other thread too about the Devils and the shootout. I figured they have been pretty good over the years as it always seems they win more at them than they lose, but didn't know we have been the best. :cheers:

It was our discussing/debating that led me to check it out. I knew they'd been good, but it did blow my mind when I saw to what level.

I would rather take Elias out of the SO. As much as I love the guy, I haven't seen him doing anything recently especially, but didnt even do much over the course of the year. At least Parise has done work earlier this year, and is a better breakaway candidate anyway

With Elias it is a little harder to judge I think. Mostly due to the fact that for pretty much the entire season in the shootout, the order has been 1)Kovy 2) Parise and 3) Elias. We have won a lot of times within the first couple of rounds so we do not see Elias out there as much as the other two.

I would like to see Henrique in there to see more of what he could possibly do. I might even be curious to see how Clarkson or even skyora do on it, but I wouldn't expect too much.