4th Line fixed

Jas0nMacIsaac

I do not think Bernier will be on the 4th line. At least not yet. According to TG, our forward lines look like this:

Forwards: Zach Parise-Adam Henrique-Ilya Kovalchuk; Petr Sykora-Patrik Elias-David Clarskson; Alexei Ponikarovsky-Dainius Zubrus-Steve Bernier; Eric Boulton-Jacob Jossefson-Cam Janssen.

So he is prob most likely taking the place of either Boulton or Janssen.

I do not think Bernier will be on the 4th line. At least not yet. According to TG, our forward lines look like this:

Forwards: Zach Parise-Adam Henrique-Ilya Kovalchuk; Petr Sykora-Patrik Elias-David Clarskson; Alexei Ponikarovsky-Dainius Zubrus-Steve Bernier; Eric Boulton-Jacob Jossefson-Cam Janssen.

So he is prob most likely taking the place of either Boulton or Janssen.

Makes sense for now. When Zajac gets back, that's a different story.

So you don't ever feel Zajac will be back?

Two additional token french guys, this is sure to be a cup run.

Right now, I think this will be a lost season for Zajac like Parise last season and Martin the year before.

His effectiveness will be very limited this season and if comes back and there are no further setbacks at all, then yeah he will prob be on the 3rd line.

Sometimes I think the organization makes decisions totally at random.

Veilleux has 17 minor penalties and an over 20% shooting percentage. I know he was real good a few years ago; I'm not sure he's that same player.

I'll take luck on the 4th line right about now. He was an effective tough minute player with trash in previous seasons. With very good 4th line linemates I expect he does just fine.

I'll take luck on the 4th line right about now. He was an effective tough minute player with trash in previous seasons. With very good 4th line linemates I expect he does just fine.

We also have evidence that Veilleux is himself a below-average shooter in the NHL. I like to call this the Sestito effect.

I hadn't looked at his shots until today - that's really low. I wonder what kind of ice time he's getting.

We also have evidence that Veilleux is himself a below-average shooter in the NHL. I like to call this the Sestito effect.

I hadn't looked at his shots until today - that's really low. I wonder what kind of ice time he's getting.

He averaged 24 shots per 60 his last season with Tampa, with Josefson and Bernier they probably stay close to 22...much better then the 18/19 shots with Boulton and Janssen which is Kovalchuk influenced. Not to mention they will have bottom dweller type sh%. 6% is a safe bet for the josefson trio.

You of all people should know to look at numbers in a context. In Veilleux's last 14 games since gettin healthy he has 7 goals and 4 assists with 21 shots. He probably averages 1.125 shots per game at the NHL level which is a massive upgrade, regardless of shooting %, over Boulton and Janssen. Not to mention he is an above average forward defensively who has good speed.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Because Zharkov makes the team better than almost all the other 4th line options and some of the 3rd.

What evidence is there of that?

All I saw from him was he hussled. That's about it. We already have it with this Veilleux guy, Sestito, Palmieri, etc.

Edited by DevsMan84

What evidence is there of that?

All I saw from him was he hussled. That's about it. We already have it with this Veilleux guy, Sestito, Palmieri, etc.

Watching the games, peripheral numbers, minor league numbers, etc...

He hussles, creates turnovers, wins puck battles along the boards, draws penalties, plays sound defense, is quick, and is a nice passer. Most of the other 4th line options only can list 1 or 2 things they bring to the table.

Watching the games, peripheral numbers, minor league numbers, etc...

He hussles, creates turnovers, wins puck battles along the boards, draws penalties, plays sound defense, is quick, and is a nice passer. Most of the other 4th line options only can list 1 or 2 things they bring to the table.

Minor league numbers are just that, so I am not counting that. He also got thrown around a bit by the opposition in the games he was in with the NJ Devils from what I remember.

He played solid in his short stint at the NHL level and cant complain about him. However if he was really that good, we would be up at the NHL level already.

He played solid in his short stint at the NHL level and cant complain about him. However if he was really that good, we would be up at the NHL level already.

A guy doesn't have to be amazing to be much better than where the Devils 3rd and 4th lines were for most of this season.

Saying if Zharkov was good enough to be an NHL player he would be playing there assumes the coaches and GMs never make mistakes. Was Henrique not NHL ready when the season started? Was Grabner not an NHL player because he was waived? Etc... Zharkov isn't as good as those guys but it shows how wrong management can be at times.

Zharkov has 2G 12A in 82GP and is shooting 2.1%. It's actually not that far of a stretch to think the guy is capable of 25 points a season if he has good linemates, can get 5-7 min a night and shoot around 7-8%. Obviously, these are a bunch of ifs, but it's not such a crazy argument for someone to say that Zharkov has higher potential than Veilleux, although Veilleux is more proven.

I expect Veilleux to be better than Boulton and Janssen so I like this move for the 4th line. If the Devils can stay healthy and get Zajac back then there is a lot of depth.

Regarding Zharkov, I agree with everything Devils731 has said. Though it looks like if he ever wants a shot to play for DeBoer then he's going to have to start dropping his gloves every game in the AHL. DeBoer seems to love the idea of going with goons instead of hockey players on the 4th line.

Zharkov drew a good amount of penalties for the number that he took. He might be the fastest player on the big club as well. Ultra reliable in the defensive zone and he could kill penalties. The Devils better start looking for other pker's too, eventually Parise, Kovy and Elias are going to burn out killing penalties.