War of words: Gomez VS LAdouceur

Devil Fan

I see nowhere for Gomez to go. To me, THIS is the danger of bringing a kid into the NHL too soon. Physical skills schmills -- if they hurt themselves or develop poorly in the NHL, then they'd do the same in Juniors or in the AHL. I know people disagree but that's just the way I see it.

But MENTALLY.... this is what happens when it all comes too fast. You're just not prepared for what comes at you. You listen to too many people saying the wrong thing. You have no independent support group. Parents don't cut it. There is so much going in in his stupid head and he has ZERO clarity and has no idea how to even start to find it. He fights EVERYTHING he feels is the innate proper choice. and now it's too late. he can't surrender to anything now but failure. I see ZERO options for him. Because he's the one in control and refuses to actually take it. He's not a bad person and he'll have a happy life -- just his hockey career will never blossom as it might have. I think he'll come to terms and accept responsibility for that. It's just annoying to watch.

You really can't backtrack on the path to maturity, you have to just escape endless detours. There comes a time when you're just too far off the path - so you have to settle on what you come across in the future. It's all OK because I think you also realize you had no plan to diverge from so you must be on the correct one. Just make a fvcking choice on your own for once. Rangers... that was so stupid. Unless you really just want to fish or something. You;d always have enough money - why go for instant gratification? it's not gratifying.... whatever.

I think what has always driven me nuts about Gomez's situation is that the Devils keep the solution in the players hands. They give them space and try to not give them enough rope to hang themselves. It may be stifling if you can't see how confines give you more freedom than you'd have free in the world at large. Gomez would NEVER do it himself -- he'd just get furious that that was always the Devils final word. Do it - you have to figure out how -- but to get where you to be, you have to do THIS. I always felt like he was whining but it's YOUR job to show me how. I can do it... I have a Calder trophy... you're just ruining it all for me. :evilcry::cryriver:

See, it's the figuring out HOW to do it that has the value not just making in magically happen. PRactically speaking maybe Gomez had to learn how to shoot the puck -- but mentally he had to figure out on his own what was keeping him from doing so. It's not linemates it's not the coach it's not teammates... it's YOU. I knwo he knows that now... just fvckin' retire and find a life of your own or even THAT will be out of your reach.

I get so irked thinking about this ... :rant:

this is when if it was important to my life at all my husband would console me with "he's just stupid. He's happy. Why let it bother you?" I think I can't take solace in "He's just stupid because I feel like that means I'm stupid... and to this my husband would say " :whistling::uni: " and I'd attack him -- and he'd say Violence is the solution for the stupid -- but not in those words... in fact he'd probably just laugh...

Edited by Pepperkorn

He made it clear he was interested in one thing, and one thing only: MONEY.

He got his contract, and checked out. Yeah, it's a real shame he wasted all that God-given talent, but he got what he wanted didn't he? He's one of the highest paid players in the league, good for him.

I hope that 7m/year contract helps him deal with the fact he's the joke of the league.

(And just to clarify, I don't still harbor any resentment to him for signing with the Rangers. This is just an objective view of a player that had a good career year, cashed in, and checked out. I have little doubt in my mind that the problem here is not Montreal, nor was it New York. It's him. He's a lazy player who got his fat contract)

he was the same in NJ really... saw an interview with Pascal Rheame on RDS telling a story about Gomez and Burns having a loud argumentation during practice...

they were doing a drill and Gomez was always passing the puck instead of shooting and Burns was telling him to shoot, Gomez was saying that the other guy was open, then burns was telling him to shoot, Gomez was still still saying that the other guy was open, burns was repeating that he wanted him to shoot, and it went back and forth like that for awhile and the 2 guys were getting closer and closer and the words were louder and louder...

Pascal said it was hilarious.

He made it clear he was interested in one thing, and one thing only: MONEY.

He got his contract, and checked out. Yeah, it's a real shame he wasted all that God-given talent, but he got what he wanted didn't he? He's one of the highest paid players in the league, good for him.

I hope that 7m/year contract helps him deal with the fact he's the joke of the league.

(And just to clarify, I don't still harbor any resentment to him for signing with the Rangers. This is just an objective view of a player that had a good career year, cashed in, and checked out. I have little doubt in my mind that the problem here is not Montreal, nor was it New York. It's him. He's a lazy player who got his fat contract)

In fairness, he didn't check out upon signing the contract...he put up 70 points in his first season with the Rangers, and that was after a slow start. I think part of the problem was '05-'06, when he put up 33 goals after never having reached 20 in any other season. I think the Rangers signed him thinking that his '06-'07 campaign (72 GP, 13 G, 47 A) was an off-year. The problem with Sather's thinking was that '06-'07 was a more typical Gomez season. Even though Gomer's numbers declined slightly in '07-'08 (his last season with the Rangers) and '08-'09 (his first with Montreal), they weren't far off from his typical season norms. The main issue with Gomer's contract was that Sather fell into the trap that GMs have been falling into for years: sign a merely good player to a superstar contract, then expect superstar results. If Sather had simply done his homework and researched Gomez properly, instead of being his usual, uncreative, sign-the-biggest-name-available-for-more-money-than-anyone-else self, he would've seen that Gomez had no chance to live up to that deal. But I can't blame Gomez for signing it in the slighest...that was more money than he had any right to expect for a player of his caliber. And as much as I hate the Rangers and everything about them, playing in New York, on an Original 6 team, in front of big crowds is a big-time allure for some.

I don't know if I'd go so far to say Gomez is lazy, but I don't think he was a terribly hard worker, and I think he was pretty content to rely on his talent to get him by...I think if he had been one of the truly committed, I-want-to-get-better-at-all-costs type of player, I think he'd probably still be a Devil today, and an effective one at that. What's sad now is that, even if he decided now that he wanted to become that type of player right this minute, it's probably too late...he'll never be anything near what he was in his prime, and he's at an age where he should still be IN his prime, or at least at the tail end of it.

I'm worse as far as the pro-Gomez camp... I think he never learned how to work. He loves hockey, no doubt in my mind there. I think he just didn't realize how much he himself was responsible for - it came that easy. Hockey bites back and Gomez is totally unprepared for that. Marty was always totally prepared despite it being so easy.

also when I think about it, Gomez is sort of an observer of hockey more than a student or a player of hockey -- even as he plays. He's too busy seeing everything to get that he has to take part. SOmetimes I think he doesn't see fully what he's looking at with himself in the picture. His whole perception is just a bit off and that's OK. It's just it gets him into non-productive stretches and he has no control over his direction. He leaves it all up to hockey to present him with chances ... it's insane logic, but I think that's what the problem is for him. He's just getting to old to change his vision now -- or to be able to do anything about it.

:giggle: I gotta shut up!