Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

Lou on Zid acquisition: (Per TG)

Lamoriello said "in our opinion" Zidlicky is a top two defenseman he tried to get him when Nashville traded him to Minnesota.

This guy should sell used cars!

"In our opinion this Honda Civic is really a Lexus...."

It's a bit much but Palmieri is waiver-eligible next year and the Devils had him in the organization for 3 years - he just doesn't do enough well to stick at the NHL level. Foster is a negative, as is Veilleux - so it's largely a 2nd for Zidlicky, which I'm okay with. I imagine there was a market bigger than NJ for his services.

I wonder if the Wild trade Foster somewhere else.

This whole fiasco has been bad from the get-go. I can understand trading Fraser, but trading Pelley was stupid. He worked game in and game out and was miles ahead of the crap we call 4th liners now. So we package him with Fraser for a package involving Foster who's a bust and then package Foster with Pamlieri who could have developed into a decent 4th liner. To top it all off we end up with a washed up 34 year old turd who Lou is furiously polishing by claiming he's a "top 2 D-man." I'd be totally in shock if this doesn't end up being another Nic Havelid/Martin Skoula trade deadline bust.

This whole fiasco has been bad from the get-go. I can understand trading Fraser, but trading Pelley was stupid. He worked game in and game out and was miles ahead of the crap we call 4th liners now. So we package him with Fraser for a package involving Foster who's a bust and then package Foster with Pamlieri who could have developed into a decent 4th liner. To top it all off we end up with a washed up 34 year old turd who Lou is furiously polishing by claiming he's a "top 2 D-man." I'd be totally in shock if this doesn't end up being another Nic Havelid/Martin Skoula trade deadline bust.

Sorry, no offense but...

This phrase screams of someone who doesn't watch any hockey outside NJ or just reads box scores.

I'm not saying that MZ is the answer, but this is far and wide not another #7D D man trade.

MZ is probably the best puck mover this team has seen since pre-Oduya, if he can even return close to pre-2012 form.

The fact that this guy REALLY wants to play here means nothing to folks as well? How many threads are constantly posted here of players who even subtlety allude to anything they even remotely liked better about their new team vs. their time in NJ.

I give Lou credit in showing ZP that he's putting effort and making this team a competitive team NOW - not in 2015. That and any playoff depth beyond the 1st round would do wonders.

Honestly does anyone really think that Suter, Weber, or even Vishnovsky was available, much less without sacrificing any prime pieces?

Fair trade - taking a risk - shows the fanbase and ZP that NJ is never a "content" franchise.

• Like 1

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait..

Are you saying Pelly was good for something? Because, honestly, he was incompetent. As useless as anyone else the Devils have used on the 4th line this year, imo

We got rid of our junk and a pick, for Minnesota's junk. This is a no-risk move, honestly.

Sorry, no offense but...

This phrase screams of someone who doesn't watch any hockey outside NJ or just reads box scores.

I'm not saying that MZ is the answer, but this is far and wide not another #7D D man trade.

MZ is probably the best puck mover this team has seen since pre-Oduya, if he can even return close to pre-2012 form.

The fact that this guy REALLY wants to play here means nothing to folks as well? How many threads are constantly posted here of players who even subtlety allude to anything they even remotely liked better about their new team vs. their time in NJ.

I give Lou credit in showing ZP that he's putting effort and making this team a competitive team NOW - not in 2015. That and any playoff depth beyond the 1st round would do wonders.

Honestly does anyone really think that Suter, Weber, or even Vishnovsky was available, much less without sacrificing any prime pieces?

Fair trade - taking a risk - shows the fanbase and ZP that NJ is never a "content" franchise.

This +1

Sorry, no offense but...

I've watched Zidlicky in Nashville and before he changed his last name pronunciation from Zid-litsh-ky to Zid-lick-y. Dude's been a bust the past two years and only managed to play half the season to boot.

And the fact that Lemaire spoke highly of Zidlicky doesn't ease my skepticism since I'm pretty sure Lemaire was consulted on Skoula as well.

Unfortunately I don't like this trade. I don't think Zidlicky gives us that much more than what we had already with Foster, and to also give up Palmieri and a 2nd to boot is really overpaying, especially considering Zidlicky is making a huge salary for a player of his talents. We essentially did Minny a favor while giving them a nice return in the process.

:rofl:

Come on man! Open your eyes. Pelley fvcking BLEW. Fraser wasnt all that great either. Foster just hasnt performed. When he first came here I thought he had potential but that didnt work out. Whether that means the team just wasnt for him, he wasnt for the team, or didnt have enough time to actually play his game who knows. The fact of the matter is he just wasnt doing it. Palm was a good deal. I have always thought he was garbage. He didnt offer anything. Plam is what he always will be. I do think that Zid will be a good d man for us. He is confident, which is what this team lacks. He is also coming into this wanting to be here, having a relationship with a few of the players on this team already and ready to play. Only time will tell ofcrouse but you need to keep an open mind about it.

The next goal is to focus on ZP and his contract which we all know is next on the list. Keep your heads up, we are watching a likely run for the playoffs here.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait..

Are you saying Pelly was good for something? Because, honestly, he was incompetent. As useless as anyone else the Devils have used on the 4th line this year, imo

We got rid of our junk and a pick, for Minnesota's junk. This is a no-risk move, honestly.

I am saying Pelley was good for something. I was able to watch Devils games last year and I recall clearly that the 4th line of Mair-Pelley-Clarkson had a lot to do with our big run. They didn't put the points up, but created the enrgy to get the other players going and they did it a heck of a lot better than our grabage 4th line this season. That is, unless you're fine with Cam(Happy Gilmore)Janssen, Eric(pointless signing) Boulton and insert AHL player here on the 4th line.

\

And the fact that Lemaire spoke highly of Zidlicky doesn't ease my skepticism since I'm pretty sure Lemaire was consulted on Skoula as well.

You recalled correctly... My link

I like this quote from the comments:

thats great….if i recall correctly rolston was one of the frog’s fav. player…that worked out great this year uh

Here's what I wrote on this board last night:

Living in Minnesota now after spending the first 18 years of my existence in Jersey, I can say that a Zidlicky trade definitely comes with a pretty big risk - not so much this year but the next. If the Devils trade for Zidlicky, he'll undoubtedly bolster their blueline. But the question is: Is Zidlicky worth the risk/cost? In my opinion, the answer is no. It's clear that he struggled this season for the Wild, in part because he feels he's not being utilized to his full potential and doesn't see eye to eye with the coach. But how much of an upgrade is Zidlicky really compared to what the Devils have now? I'm not a CORSI score aficionado, but long story short, I don't think he's the missing piece of the puzzle that puts the Devils over the top. Yes, he's better than Foster. Yes, he could help out on the PP. Yes, he's best buddies with Elias. But overall, with what he brings to the table given what the Devils will have to shell out to get him, I don't think it's worth it. In addition, he has another $4 million in salary that the Devils would have to absorb next year - which I think would really undercut the Devils cap wise regarding their ability to target a big name defensemen going forward. If Zidlicky was only under contract for this year and the Devils could get him for a lower-round draft pick (and/or a marginal prospect) I'd say go for it. But that's not the case. As such, especially seeing him play on a nightly basis, my vote is for for the Devils to take a pass.

If the Devils are going to target a mid- to upper-range defensemen, I say the Devils should hone in on somebody like Grossman. He's making $1.75 million and a UFA this offseason. Low risk, high reward. And yes, it's unclear whether Dallas will sell. But I'd much rather the Devils target someone like that than Zidlicky.

------

Now that the trade has officially gone down, I can honestly say that I'm totally pissed. I don't care about losing Foster or the V-Man ... and Palms probably wasn't going to have much of an impact one way or another, but forking over that second round pick really bugs me (especially with the talent in next year's draft pool). Throw in the fact that we have another $4 million on our books for a guy that the Wild absolutely HAD to get rid of and it just makes me stomach sink. Yes, Zid will help some. But it's not the missing piece of the puzzle for a Stanley Cup run - and I think we all know it. And please Lou, don't insult our intelligence - he's not a top-two defensemen. Right now, I'm just totally bummed out. I pray Zids proves me wrong and the Devils go on a huge playoff run, but man I'm just depressed right now.

hopefully there's some chemistry between Zids on the right point and Elias at the right circle on the PP :)

Dude, I'd rather have a 4th line of Pelley-Palmieri-Zharkov over the 4th line we've got. Too bad Lou made dumb trades and signings.

We still have the potential of a 4th line of Josefson, Zharkov and Tedenby, so settle down