Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

I was looking for a Jason post; didn't find anything off a quick glance - but did come across this prophetical post in '09 about JJ:

I have a feeling New Jersey may select Jacob Josefson from Sweden. A less physical version of Nicklas Backstrom. They will have to trade up to get him.

I say he falls to 17-20, defensmen seem to go earlier then expected every year and there are alot of defensmen in this draft. If we got Josefson or De Haan I would be pleased.

A full month before too.

We did draft JJ

We did need to trade up for him

They did go early - 8 dmen went in top 19

Zid's had a rough couple days though (flying all over, being sleep deprived, back-to-back games). I don't think it's fair to form an opinion on him so soon. It always takes a bit of time before players begin to fit in.

Part of the problem with trades (especially deadline deals) is that many fans expect the guy to jump right and start doing his thing from his first shift on. There's usually some kind of adjustment period, and in Zid's case, he had to deal with travel and back-to-back games right off the bat.

He very well may not to turn out to be much help, but I gotta give him at least 10 games or so before I start to worry...and even then, would his shortcomings be any worse than Foster's?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I am not sure how we can start "blaming " zidlicky for his poor play for the last couple losses..... What about the lack of offensive and goal scoring? AND Adam Larsson has been terrible since he came back from injury.

I'm more scared by the end of the Lightning game. He ices the puck and looks gassed when he should have skated it up. Probably wouldn't have mattered, but he'd better be conditioned enough to finish his shifts, especially at the end of games with the goalie out. Hopefully it was just the effects of a day game following the rough flight, but considering his past health issues, that raised a red flag for me.

The ice at Madison Square Garden is awful. You can find better ice at the bottom of a bowl of soup. Pucks were missing sticks all night long, not just Zid's.

while it was true forever that the ice has been bad at MSG, the ice at the garden this year is actually very good. the ice @ the rock is among the worst in the league. neither of these facts are secrets.

I missed his two games away with work. An unbiased opinion, how did he looks and where did he look weak.

For me, it's tough to really judge him so far. He's played a game where he had no practice with the team and a game where there was no offensive flow for anyone on either team.

Positives:

He's picking spots to skate hard up the weakside during breakouts when a winger has dropped back into the defensive zone to skate the puck up the strong side. He's been enormously open with lots of speed when doing this, but nobody was used to having a defenseman skate that aggressively during a breakout. Once guys get used to this it should force other teams to spread wider in the neutral zone, and hopefully other defenseman on the Devils will start copying this as it's fairly low risk with a good reward.

He hasn't been shy in going deep in the offensive zone when he's seen opportunities. So far he's seemed to use fairly good judgement on when to do this, and when Devils players start to get used to it it should be more effective. At worst, it will force the other teams to respect that Zid may go deep and divide defensive attention.

The PP may be moving more with him up top, but limited chances so who knows if that's real or random.

His passing seems fine, although I think he may be a little too aggressive with it. Maybe similar to Kovy, when things aren't working they both might try to force big plays to open it up, instead of staying patient.

Negatives:

Seems weak along the boards. Definitely hasn't been winning a lot of puck battles in the defensive zone.

Has struggled with puck control at times, but it's been so limited that could just be random.

He's been on the wrong side of the other team during the opponents breakout a few times. I think he's trying to be aggressive but he's letting opponents sit behind him with an open passing lane. It's almost like he's a football cornerback playing off a receiver trying to dare the QB to throw a pass so the CB can try to make an interception. Definitely a gambler.

--------------------

Seems to me that if the Devils can get him to forget about offense when they don't have the puck and continue to think aggressively when the Devils do have the puck, then he should bring a good added dimension to the blueline.

Devils731's analysis I would say is the most accurate IMO.

Personally I have liked what I have seen so far out of Zidlicky. He has definatly had some defensive zone issues along the boards here and there, but in front of the net he is very attentive to players crashing the net or driving to it and does a very good job of lifting sticks to neutralize players which is extremely important from a goalie's perspective.

His breakout passing has been the most impressive thing about him for sure. He has a real knack for long breakout passes (I can definatly see why Lemaire liked him so much with the long breakout pass being a jaques specialty). As Devils731 said also he definatly has a very good sense for when to jump in the rush which is something the devils haven't had since Neidermayer (im not comparing the two only saying that we haven't had this type of offensive defenseman since him).

No dman is going to be perfect, but I think once Zid gets some practices in and learns how we play defense here he will be a really good player for us and I hope he (and the poni express) re-signs with us this offseason.

Devils731's analysis I would say is the most accurate IMO.

Personally I have liked what I have seen so far out of Zidlicky. He has definatly had some defensive zone issues along the boards here and there, but in front of the net he is very attentive to players crashing the net or driving to it and does a very good job of lifting sticks to neutralize players which is extremely important from a goalie's perspective.

His breakout passing has been the most impressive thing about him for sure. He has a real knack for long breakout passes (I can definatly see why Lemaire liked him so much with the long breakout pass being a jaques specialty). As Devils731 said also he definatly has a very good sense for when to jump in the rush which is something the devils haven't had since Neidermayer (im not comparing the two only saying that we haven't had this type of offensive defenseman since him).

No dman is going to be perfect, but I think once Zid gets some practices in and learns how we play defense here he will be a really good player for us and I hope he (and the poni express) re-signs with us this offseason.

doesnt he have another year

I missed his two games away with work. An unbiased opinion, how did he looks and where did he look weak.

A little bit shaky.. He looked strong and got off a few hard shots. The problem was at time he may have seem lost and the puck jumped over his stick at the point at times