Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Ugly start for Hefner... 4 runs, bases loaded, still nobody out, and TC is giving him the hook.

Whatever. At this point I hope they lose and get the #6 pick in next year's draft (which is realistically the best they can do, draft position wise).

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to set an example. As soon as the last out is recorded. This piece of sh!t Herner is cut immediately.

Cutting the guy who is a 25th-man-on-a-roster type is going to set an example/send a message? The team has completely quit on the manager; if anything, dump him.

Of course, that won't solve that much. This team is in serious need of talented position players. Their only clear above average regular is David Wright, who may be gone in a year (or less). It's no surprise the team fell apart when Wright started struggling; he's the only good position player taking the field.

Edited by nmigliore

Nats clinched a playoff spot tonight.

The Mets, on the other hand, are well on their way to another embarrassing loss, making it 6 straight seasons without seeing the postseason and 4 straight losing seasons.

As sad as 2006 ended, at that point in time, who'd have thought the freakin' Nats would make the playoffs before the Mets did again? Quite a stark change in direction for the two franchises over the last 6 years.

Edited by nmigliore

AdamRubinESPN Terry Collins said he spoke to team. He's succinct, not happy. He's referring all questions to players -- putting it on them. 4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AdamRubinESPN profile

AdamRubinESPN Has this team quit: Terry Collins: "You have to ask them. I don't want to say publicly." 5 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Gee, Terry you're about six weeks too late on this one.

Cutting the guy who is a 25th-man-on-a-roster type is going to set an example/send a message? The team has completely quit on the manager; if anything, dump him.

Of course, that won't solve that much. This team is in serious need of talented position players. Their only clear above average regular is David Wright, who may be gone in a year (or less). It's no surprise the team fell apart when Wright started struggling; he's the only good position player taking the field.

I WAS in Collins' corner, but not anymore. Yeah, canning him probably won't accomplish that much, but I think management has to try to show that there's some level of individual accountability. It's not all Collins' fault, but let's face it, some of these stiffs are going to be back next year, and clearly enough of them are tuning out Collins that something has to be done.

But yeah, there simply isn't much talent on this roster, and David Wright is a question mark...I have no idea what to expect from him next season. It's really on Sandy now to show he's got something more up his sleeve than "be passive and wait." Four losing seasons in a row...Mets fans are getting tired of waiting. At least it looks like Harvey should be with the team all of next season, and though it's probably a major longshot, maybe Wheeler can make the team out of spring training, or at least get called up by mid-season. The less time he spends pitching for Vegas, the better.

And no more Hefner. Ever. 102 H in 79 IP? No thanks.

Gee, Terry you're about six weeks too late on this one.

I think he was trying to be supportive as best he could, but it's pretty obvious they've now both quit on each other. Hopefully there are a LOT of changes next season...it will be impossible for Sandy to sell us all on "status quo".

At least one positive going into next year will be the rotation. Dickey, Harvey, Niese, Gee, Santana is a pretty good group; I could see 4 above average starters, maybe 5, but I'm not holding my breath on Johan's abilities or health. Zack Wheeler could be a factor at some point too.

Edited by nmigliore

Not Harvey's best start, but at least he gave the Mets three scoreless innings after that rough second inning.

Small sample size, but hard not to be impressed...he does need to cut down on his walks (3.8 per 9 IP), but other than that, I'd say he's clearly exceeded expectations. Unless he clearly does nothing in next season's spring training, no way the guy isn't in the rotation to start the regular season.

Could be a pretty solid rotation, depending upon the off-season...if the Mets go status quo, could be looking at (in no particular order):

Dickey

Niese

Santana

Harvey

Gee

From May 20 to July 7 (10 starts), Gee had found a nice stride, allowing more than 3 ER only once, and going 7 IP or more 5 times...that's pretty damned good #3-4 material, if he could keep that up over a full season.

As crazy as it may sound, if the Mets are to keep Santana, I'd have him as the #5 coming out of spring, as I have no idea what to expect from him. If he pitches well and can remain healthy, no reason why the rotation can't be altered later, especially if one of the other starters falters. But I have good faith in this group keeping the Mets in ballgames through 6 innings.

Yeah, pretty much what I said a while back. Pretty much their greatest strength heading into next season. Everything else needs upgrading.

You put together that Scouts bit, right CR? How does this second half at home for the Mets compare to them, or is it still not nearly Kansas City hockey-level?

Yeah, that was me, re: the Scouts, lol. Not even close, really...the Scouts won one out of their last 44 games, with 8 ties. If you split the ties into wins and losses, that would equate to 5-39.

Mets are 4-25 in their last 29 home games if you count their last loss before the ASB. Actually, it's closer than I thought. It's amazing that this has happened AT HOME no less. And this is really 100+ loss team-type stuff, the kind of funk only a truly pathetic team suffers through. Remember when this team started off 4-0 and was 46-40 at the ASB? Me neither. This second half has really set this team back, even with positives like Matt Harvey. I think almost everyone to a fan feels more than ever that this team is cursed, and it won't ever change until the Wilpons sell the team.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah, that was me, re: the Scouts, lol. Not even close, really...the Scouts won one out of their last 44 games, with 8 ties. If you split the ties into wins and losses, that would equate to 5-39.

Mets are 4-25 in their last 29 home games if you count their last loss before the ASB. Actually, it's closer than I thought. It's amazing that this has happened AT HOME no less. And this is really 100+ loss team-type stuff, the kind of funk only a truly pathetic team suffers through. Remember when this team started off 4-0 and was 46-40 at the ASB? Me neither. This second half has really set this team back, even with positives like Matt Harvey. I think almost everyone to a fan feels more than ever that this team is cursed, and it won't ever change until the Wilpons sell the team.

ahem....5-25 :uni:

Great for RA! There was a nice article in the Daily News about him, how he has kept his head in the game while so many other Mets have clearly mailed it in.

David Wright now down to .305...his career batting avg is down to .300. Hard to believe he may not even finish this season with a .300 average, but then again, it isn't. For the love of God, Sandy please don't re-sign him. He represents an era of disappointment and failed expectations. Let's move on...time for this to become someone else's team. This is playing for a new contract? The guy has completely disappeared.

Dickey has two starts left, it appears. His next one should be at home against Pittsburgh followed by one at Miami to conclude the year. Not that wins mean anything to me, but I'm sure it means a lot to Dickey and some stubborn Cy Young voters to get that 20th win, so I really hope he gets it. I would LOVE to see him get it at home in his next start.

Edited by nmigliore

Ike Davis hit his 29th and 30th home run today, which is extremely impressive since he was a Jason Bay type black hole for the first two months of the season. The Mets stuck with him and the turnaround has been remarkable.

4 home wins in a row. Unfathomable

I might try to make it out to one of the final 3 home games. They are playing well, and this could be the last time you see Wright in a Mets uniform

Edited by '7'

Ike Davis hit his 29th and 30th home run today, which is extremely impressive since he was a Jason Bay type black hole for the first two months of the season. The Mets stuck with him and the turnaround has been remarkable.

4 home wins in a row. Unfathomable

I might try to make it out to one of the final 3 home games. They are playing well, and this could be the last time you see Wright in a Mets uniform

It was going to take a lot for the Mets NOT to stick with Ike...he's a kid, he was a first-rounder...I can't give them major kudos for that, but yeah, when he was hitting .158 as late as June 8, it would've been understandable if the Mets sent him down.

The good thing is that Ike has lots of positives to build on, and to a player, the Mets need as many of those as possible.

I can only hope it's the last time we see Wright in a Mets uniform. Great overall body of work, but the Mets don't need to pay $100+ million for what he's done over the last four years. Adios David.