Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Okay I'm going to temper excitement for now but Jeff Passan says Travis d'Arnaud is in the deal. If true, I'm doing a complete 180 on this deal. He's the guy the Mets NEEDED to get. If they can pull this off I'm going to be very happy. Anything more is just gravy too.

There might be more parts on the Mets going the other way too, so we'll see what happens here.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Den Dekker is supposedly the spare part that would go to Toronto. But yes, d'Arnaud must be in the deal or it should not get done. The fact that it's not done already leads me to believe Toronto brass are perhaps split on including him.

I guess this Dickey trade's going to take almost as long as the CBA lol...supposedly the delay could be anything from players getting physicals (harder on the weekend) to the Jays maybe wanting to ink Dickey to an extension or still haggling over players involved in the deal :P

At this point I'd rather see him traded just so he can get out of this mess. And it sounds like we'd be getting a good return anyway, which the Mets kinda need to do regardless - trading an older player for younger value at need positions.

The rumored deal, or framework anyway, sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like the Jays are in win right now mode. Probably a great time to capitalize with the current state of the AL East and how pathetic the rest of the Toronto sports market is. I guess this is why you stockpile prospects. But this would leave the Jays farm system pretty bare above A Ball.

Dickey would make the Jays rotation pretty ridiculous.

The current rumored framework is here. Dickey, Thole, and X for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, and Y, with both X and Y expected to be low-level prospects.

All of this is per Joel Sherman. Also per his Twitter:

"If this goes thru, Alderson will have cashed Beltran/Dickey into 3 Top 50 prospects: Wheeler/d'Arnaud/Syndergaard. #Mets #prettygood"

The current rumored framework is here. Dickey, Thole, and X for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, and Y, with both X and Y expected to be low-level prospects.

All of this is per Joel Sherman. Also per his Twitter:

"If this goes thru, Alderson will have cashed Beltran/Dickey into 3 Top 50 prospects: Wheeler/d'Arnaud/Syndergaard. #Mets #prettygood"

Basically any non-Wheeler Met prospect could fill in and still make that deal look amazing for the Mets.

Dickey would make the Jays rotation pretty ridiculous.

AL East favorites if it goes through. Even with a potential ridiculously-good return, I'm going to miss Dickey. He went from a scrap heap pickup to an ace in 3 years (and he still probably has some great years ahead of him despite his age). He was a huge fan favorite with his feel-good background story, Star Wars fetish, and witty personality. Last season was another poor one for the team but Dickey at least made things exciting. One of the best Met pitching seasons I've ever seen, of course. He was a bright spot to the franchise during dark years. Given the return, it IS the right call to move on, but I'm going to miss him and I wish him all the best.

Edited by nmigliore

Who does he compare to at the major league level?

Jason Parks of BP said he said has the upside to hit .275+ with 17-25 HR; solid defensively; first-division regular, all-star upside.

Syndergaard has an even higher ceiling but is far more riskier of course.

Edited by nmigliore

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/team-to-acquire-ra-dickey.html

The Mets are selling high on R.A. Dickey after the 38-year-old knuckleballer's Cy Young season. They have agreed in principle to trade that will send Dickey to the Blue Jays, Ken Rosenthal reports (on Twitter). The deal is contingent on Toronto being able to work out a contract extension with Dickey and they'll have a negotiating window of 72 hours, expiring Tuesday at 1pm CST (Twitter link).

This will be a great deal for the Meta even if it doesn't work out. What I mean is that they are not a contender with Dickey for the next couple of years, but have given themselves the opportunity at least for long term success with te Jays best prospect. It's always a crapshoot, but parlaying a 38 year old pitcher for that kind of return is a great move.

Forgive typos. Doing this from my iPhone.

Edited by Daniel

Great deal by the Mets. They made out as well as ever could be imagined. Very tough as a Jays fan to give up that much, but this team looks pretty stacked in an AL East that has not looked this vulnerable in years. And as a Jays fan, I have never seen a meaningful game. There hasn't been one since 1993. There certainly looks like there will be for the next few years.

This trade does leave a gigantic hole at the catching position for years to come. JPA has good power and is atrocious at everything else.

Liked Dickey just as much as every other Met fan, but this is the right move. No guarantee Dickey has another season like this in him, and the Mets got back potentially great value.

Maybe one more tough year coming for the Mets, but 2014 could be the beginning of some solid, contending seasons. Next year isn't about wins and losses so much as it is seeing progress, and seeing the kids gaining experience and developing. Anybody know who the big free agents are after 2013? I get the feeling the Mets will be involved.

Mets fans should be excited. When you can get a potential elite catcher and a top of the rotation pitcher for a 38 yar old knuckeballer...great story....big fan of his...make the deal every time.

Mets fans will love this trade in 3-4 years

Mike Nickeas is also going to Toronto. Wuilmer Becerra is coming to the Mets - 18 year old outfielder who was an IFA signing for $1.3M in 2011 out of Venezuela. Certainly very far away but he's not a throw-in type.

Jason Parks@ProfessorParks

I'm very impressed that the #Mets were able to get Wuilmer Becerra included in Dickey trade. Promising Venezuelan bat. Love the upside.

The trade still hasn't been officially released but I'm assuming the complete deal looks like:

Dickey, Thole, Nickeas for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Buck, and Becerra.

Love it.

Edit: Deal is official, sweet!

Edited by nmigliore