Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Sounds like he could be done for the year, barring a late-season comeback:

New York Mets right-hander Dillon Gee will undergo potentially season-ending surgery Friday in St. Louis to fix artery damage in his pitching shoulder, which should prevent a recurrence of clotting, a source familiar with the plan told ESPNNewYork.com on Wednesday.

Batista is taking his spot. This can't last. Harvey has to be the call soon. I'm not saying he's absolutely ready, but he's been improving and he's the best option the team has.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batista is taking his spot. This can't last. Harvey has to be the call soon. I'm not saying he's absolutely ready, but he's been improving and he's the best option the team has.

I don't disagree with you, but I'd be worried about another Pelfrey situation. He came up before he was completely ready because we ran out of starters in '06 and I do think it had an adverse affect in the long run that he had to pitch in '06 and get handed a spot in '07.

But yeah, they can't punt too many more games with a bad fifth starter. Especially with Chris Young one sneeze away from the DL himself.

Reminded me Tallinder's situation (though not exactly the same).

Hopefully it ends the same way lol (with Gee pitching in the World Series).

Ahh what would a Mets season be without something off the wall crazy like this? Unreal. You would have to think that this might make Sandy less of a buyer down the stretch as well.

I think the one and only thing that will correlate to Sandy being a buyer is whether or not the Mets keep winning.

The Mets were 2-6 in Gee's last 8 starts, and 7-10 in his starts overall...not implying that that record was Gee's fault (he had a 3.23 ERA in those last eight starts, with 7 of them being quality starts)...I know he didn't get the best run and bullpen support in the world, but this isn't as dire a loss as it seems YET. All the Mets have to do is improve on the .412 winning% in Gee's slot, which they might be able to do if they score more runs for Gee's replacement, though I find it hard to believe that Batista in the short term, or ANY term, will be able to be anywhere NEAR as effective as Gee has been since May 20 (3.25 ERA). If the Mets were winning 60% or more of Gee's starts, I guess I'd be more worried, but for now I'm hopeful.

It's different than the Pelfrey situation. When he was brought up in 2006, he hadn't even reached AAA. The same thing applied in 2007; he was plopped on the roster despite just 2 starts in AAA at the end of the prior year. Even when he went back down he was rushed back up in July of that season despite minimal reps in AAA. Harvey has nearly 100 innings of uninterrupted experience at that level and more dominant results to boot.

Edited by nmigliore

I think the one and only thing that will correlate to Sandy being a buyer is whether or not the Mets keep winning.

The Mets were 2-6 in Gee's last 8 starts, and 7-10 in his starts overall...not implying that that record was Gee's fault (he had a 3.23 ERA in those last eight starts, with 7 of them being quality starts)...I know he didn't get the best run and bullpen support in the world, but this isn't as dire a loss as it seems YET. All the Mets have to do is improve on the .412 winning% in Gee's slot, which they might be able to do if they score more runs for Gee's replacement, though I find it hard to believe that Batista in the short term, or ANY term, will be able to be anywhere NEAR as effective as Gee has been since May 20 (3.25 ERA). If the Mets were winning 60% or more of Gee's starts, I guess I'd be more worried, but for now I'm hopeful.

There's also a trickle down effect though, you aren't just replacing his ERA, you're replacing his 110 innings too. Less innings from your starter (and fewer quality starts at that) mean more innings for a below average pen that was awful before Chris Young stabilized the rotation.

There's also a trickle down effect though, you aren't just replacing his ERA, you're replacing his 110 innings too. Less innings from your starter (and fewer quality starts at that) mean more innings for a below average pen that was awful before Chris Young stabilized the rotation.

I mentioned that indirectly with the quality starts reference...the guy is basically going 6+ IP almost every game.

Look, Gee's spot can definitely implode, and he was providing innings AND quality, which I'm not trying to diminish, even a little bit...I'm looking strictly at winning percentage here. I'm asking the Mets to improve on a .412 winning percentage in Gee's spot. That's the one thing that has me hopeful...it's not like the Mets were depending on winning every Gee start to keep them afloat.

Big 12 game stretch right now which will determine if we're buyers or sellers. First order of business...make it out of Turner Field without getting swept

Yeah I fully agree. I think Sandy is going to wait out these next two series before deciding what to do. The team may still be in the hunt with a couple of bad series, but the emphasis to go out and get someone like Huston Street and maybe more would certainly be lower.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah I fully agree. I think Sandy is going to wait out these next two series before deciding what to do. The team may still be in the hunt with a couple of bad series, but the emphasis to go out and get someone like Huston Street and maybe more would certainly be lower.

I think the worst thing that could probably happen is if we go 6-6 and remain in this no mans land of "maybe we're in it, maybe we're not" etc

I've been advocating for Street, but right now I'm leaning towards making no moves (except chucking Batista into the trash) just keep all the prospects and stay the course

I actually think bringing K-Rod back would be a nice move. He's not having a great year and he's owed some decent money the rest of this season, but that should make him pretty easy to acquire. I can't imagine the Brewers treating him as anything more than a salary dump right now. Although he seems to have fallen off a bit, he's probably going to be better in the 2nd half and a change of scenery, to a familiar place, can't hurt.

For a team whose contending status is in some lingo, he'd make more sense than giving up anything interesting for Street or some other high-profile reliever.

Edited by nmigliore

Something about this stadium has negative psychological effects on mets players....just don't get swept and we'll be fine

I know Young has been pretty decent for the Mets so far, but did anybody really think he was going to do much yesterday? Just not the kind of guy that inspires much faith.

Something needs to be done about Duda...perhaps LF next season. He is a butcher in right...but I feel will eventually grow into a 25hr 90-100rbi guy with a solid obp, so he does have value. But we need to hide him in left.

12 K in Wright's last 9 games, including 8 in his last four. Given his recent history of striking out like crazy, admittedly that's got me a little concerned.

Wait we're going to pick with the lack of whiffs/dominance last night? Come on. I posted Parnell's numbers here recently. When you're whiffing a batter per inning with good control and lots of groundballs, that IS dominance. If you guys want to pretend like they don't mean anything, go ahead. He's been a great reliever and I have zero doubt he's the best arm in that bullpen (which isn't saying much and doesn't do him enough justice).

So much for this.

Can't really get on Parnell too much...was a little unlucky today, and he'd been terrific lately, but this friggin' Turner Field...and this bullpen...so fvcking maddening...you just KNOW the Mets are going down one-two-three...

I know you can't do this, but if I'm a Met I'd love to say to that bullpen "Can't you fvckers pick us up just ONCE?!"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Damn...imagine if the Mets had a guy like this in their bullpen. We can only dream.

Movement AND speed...Bobby, take note.

What a frustrating loss...had such a "Same old Mets" feeling to it...argh!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Kimbrel is the best reliever in baseball. Everyone is flawed compared to him.

I didn't see this one. Glad I didn't.

Mets are quietly falling out of things. I'm happy we haven't jumped into any trades; have to see where this team as after the next few series before doing anything.

Turner Field strikes again....turning quality mets pitchers into garbage since 1997.

I swear to god...the mets need a god damn psychologist before playing games in this ballpark. What other explanation is there?

Turner Field strikes again....turning quality mets pitchers into garbage since 1997.

I swear to god...the mets need a god damn psychologist before playing games in this ballpark. What other explanation is there?

Same old Mets. Same old Braves. Same old Turner. Same old song and dance.