Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

He was starting, had some success, was moved went to relieving, struggled, and is now back to starting again. He hasn't been too good in either situation; the ERA may be pretty as a starter but he's not getting enough separation between his strikeouts and walks.

I'm not even sure he'll be an effective Major League reliever, let alone good enough to close. He's shown flashes of good stuff, but like I said, he needs to strike more batters out, otherwise it just won't work.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, not that I care if Rauch gets the closer nod over him, but Parnell is still putting up dominant numbers and finally getting great results to boot. I'm not going to delve into the whole closer mentality stuff, but there's no denying he's having a great year.

Yes there is, and there ain't a sabermetric in the world that is going to twist what has been an inconsistent year into a great one. 49 H in 47.2 IP is far from dominant.

I will say he's looked terrific at times, but he still remains pretty hittable (as he has always been, from A-ball on up), and once again, when given a legitimate chance to close games and give the Mets a reason to believe he could take the closer's job and run with it, he failed. I know, you will point to his Ks and K-to-BB ratio and say he's been awesome, but I don't think you're going to find many Met fans who are going to say "Parnell's having a great year", because he's not. Fact is, Met fans see him coming into a big spot and they're nervous as hell, and with good reason.

If he finishes the year strong, hopefully he can carry that over to next season, and become a very good 8th-inning type who can occasionally close. Considering what Parnell has been to this point in his career, I think that's as much as we can hope for.

I'm sure that will end Francisco's run as closer; either he's bumped down the pecking order or goes to the DL. Rauch will probably close now.

Only problem with that is he's signed for next season too. The season is over from a contending standpoint anyway, so might as well see if he can finish up strong...who knows, if he actually pitches well, maybe the Mets can even unload his contract, even though they won't get much in return. One can dream.

For the love of God, shut down Santana already. This is getting sad...even when he got through the first three innings without allowing a baserunner, it took him 50 pitches to do it.

They aren't going to shut him down for no reason; he's not hurt, he's just pitching poorly. Whether we like it or not, Santana would have none of that.

He's been just awful since the no-hitter. I still don't buy that as being the reason why he's fallen off, but it's a little weird he started this streak of ugliness then:

April 5th to June 1st (through no-hitter): 25.1 K%, 7.7 BB%, 0.53 HR/9

Jun 8th to August 11th (post no-hitter): 18.9 K%, 8.7 BB%, 2.2 HR/9

The proneness to the homerun is the biggest thing that stands out, and those numbers don't even include tonight, in which he's given up 2 homers in just 5 innings.

Edited by nmigliore

They aren't going to shut him down for no reason; he's not hurt, he's just pitching poorly. Whether we like it or not, Santana would have none of that.

He's been just awful since the no-hitter. I still don't buy that as being the reason why he's fallen off, but it's a little weird he started this streak of ugliness then:

The proneness to the homerun is the biggest thing that stands out, and those numbers don't even include tonight, in which he's given up 2 homers in just 5 innings.

Well he threw the most pitches he's ever thrown in that no-hitter, his second straight CG shutout btw. So yeah it sure looks like there's a cause and effect. It was probably still worth it considering the Mets aren't exactly a contender anyway and that game was always going to be the best thing to happen to the team this season but geez, it really takes some of the luster off the moment that it ruined Johan.

Edited by NJDevs4978

No reason?! How about the fact that he's been either God-awful or hurt since the no-hitter? So what if he's technically "healthy"? He's had injury issues recently and probably isn't 100%.

Yeah, he could turn it around, start pitching well, but at this point the Mets still owe him a lot of money, this season is done, and the Mets are going to need him next year, or at least the potential for him to pitch something like Santana in his prime. Maybe the extra rest will help him, maybe it won't, there's no way to know with absolute certainty if shutting down Santana now will make much of a difference next season. But the body of work since the no-hitter, and the position the Mets are in, strongly suggests the Mets should be as cautious with him as possible.

Well he threw the most pitches he's ever thrown in that no-hitter, his second straight CG shutout btw. So yeah it sure looks like there's a cause and effect. It was probably still worth it considering the Mets aren't exactly a contender anyway and that game was always going to be the best thing to happen to the team this season but geez, it really takes some of the luster off the moment that it ruined Johan.

I think it was Joe and Evan who suggested that the Mets would've been better off had Beltran's foul ball been correctly ruled a hit...that Santana probably never finishes the game had that call been made, and probably gets pulled from the game around the 100 pitch mark. Oh well, we'll never know for sure if the pitches thrown in that no-hitter led to Johan's current struggles, but it sure is easy to point to the drop-off in performance since then...it will be brought up over and over again in the off-season.

To make it clear, I would prefer to shut him down too. I just didn't think it would be so easy; it's Johan Santana, not Joe Shmo, and he constantly repeats that he's healthy. Based on some quotes last night though, it seems like the idea is at least being entertained.

Edited by nmigliore

His ERA through June was still below 3. He also had his best velocity of the season last season, per PFX. Like I said in that prior post, it's a little fishy, no doubt, but I wouldn't completely believe this was directly caused by that event.

Edited by nmigliore

His ERA through June was still below 3. He also had his best velocity of the season last season, per PFX. Like I said in that prior post, it's a little fishy, no doubt, but I wouldn't completely believe this was directly caused by that event.

Well to support the theory, after two bad starts post no-hitter, Johan did have three good ones in a row until the start of July. Maybe he really is just tired. I'd give him one more start with a short leash, and if he stinks it up one more time then shut him down. I'd hate to see him go out on this note for the year though.

Channel 11, apparently the telecasts are blacked out on Cablevision now because of another Jim Dolan dispute lmao.

and it doesn't look like mets fans are putting up much of a stink over not being able to see their team either!

2 hits and we still win. That's a rarity

Edited by '7'

I have DirecTV, so I saw some of this one, though I was watching more Jets/Giants. What a year for Niese...he really has a good shot at 12-14 wins. If he can turn in year after year of 13-15 win seasons where he gives his team a legitimate chance to win 65% of his starts or so, his contract is going to be an absolute steal. Looks like Sandy may have rolled double-6s on this one.

I have Cablevision, so I could not watch, and I won't be able to watch today either. Bleh.

At least Niese pitched so great again. I love having called this breakout a year ago.

Season ain't over yet nmig. If Niese turns in a rough September and finishes roughly .500 with an ERA around 4.00, that will take some of the sparkle off this season.

One thing about Niese is though he's largely been very good, his ERA from month to month has fluctuated pretty wildly:

April (4 starts): 2.89

May (6 starts): 6.07

June (5 starts): 1.89

July (5 starts): 4.63

August (4 starts): 1.91

For whatever it's worth, if his seasonal pattern continues, he's due for a weaker September...I'm hoping he finishes up strong and flirts with 14 or so wins and an ERA around 3.00...it would be great to see him turn in two terrific months in a row. He's only really done that twice, once in 2010 (June and July) and once in 2011 (May and June). But if he finshes with something like a 14-8 record with an ERA in the low-3.00s...how are you not full of confidence and pumped up for the next season if you're Niese?

And while we're on the subject of pitching, one thing Dickey is starting to do a lot of is give up hits, and his flyball-to-ground ball ratio has changed dramatically. In his last 55.1 IP (10 starts and one relief appearance), he's given up 62 hits (7 HRs), though he's still getting his Ks (59) and keeping his walks down (13) over that time. But look at the flyball-to-ground ratio from month-to-month:

April: 43-to-45

May: 47-to-42

June: 39-to-67

July: 65-to-44

August: 33-to-20

Not hard to see why the numbers are changing so dramatically for the worse for Dickey.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Terry has to start getting some heat here...it's August 20th and the team has flat out quit.

Too bad they wasted a nice effort by Dickey...20 wins is starting to look like it ain't going to happen.

I'm not sure how much more Terry can do...the team isn't really that good, and in the first half (up until the no-hitter anyway), he had a Santana that was pitching well. And some of the guys who were helping out early on, like Duda and Nieuwenhuis, aren't even here anymore. The bullpen had been bad for most of the season, and as we all know, Sandy didn't do much to address that. It'd be great to see them go into "play for pride" mode, but that's fanspeak...we'll all say, "Well, you're getting paid millions, you should give it your best no matter what", but a lot of these guys don't think that way. And who knows...I usually don't try to get inside player's heads, but Sandy not doing anything to improve the team when they were in contention might have felt like a "no confidence" vote to some of the players, who then lost their edge...who knows? At any rate, now it's about seeing if Dickey can still flirt with 20 wins, if David Wright can regain some of his first half form, if Harvey can continue to write a great story, if Ike can finish with a batting average and OB% that aren't pathetic for an everyday first baseman...basically, it's no longer about the Mets, it's about key individuals.

At least we get to see another Harvey start tonight. Not much else to look forward to these days. Scary to think how this year could've been if Dickey wasn't a Cy Young candidate, and Wright hadn't turned in that big first half.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Johan is going to the DL with lower back inflammation and is not expected to pitch for the rest of the season. No surprises here; we all saw this coming as soon as this conveniently popped up after Johan's last start. Hopefully this injury is just minor and he comes back ready to go next year.

Collin McHugh is taking his place. McHugh is an interesting arm, definitely not another Chris Schwinden type. He's not one of the team's top prospects nor has vast upside, but he has advanced through the minors very well since being drafted and is the most polished arm in the upper-minors. There's certainly a potential back-end starter here.

Edited by nmigliore