Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

That was just insane. I can't believe we won. Unreal.

These gut punches brought me back to 2007 and 2008. :P Seriously, I'm still stunned they fought back after blowing it TWICE.

And then when it's all looking great in the 11th with 2 outs, Scutaro JUST misses a homerun to LF. Finally Coors Field plays nice to us.

Wow. The Devils game was upsetting but I'm glad the Mets fought back in this one when it looked like they were going to roll over and die after those 2 big gut punches to the bullpen.

13-9 through 22 games. Not a Met fan alive who wouldn't have signed up for that...especially with a run differential of -19.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13-9 through 22 games. Not a Met fan alive who wouldn't have signed up for that...especially with a run differential of -19.

I can think of 1 game that throws that run differential way out of whack! we generally don't get blown out

I can think of 1 game that throws that run differential way out of whack! we generally don't get blown out

Acutally, only one of their losses was by one run (extra innings).

The rest:

One loss by 9 runs.

One loss by 8 runs.

Two losses by 6 runs.

Two losses by 5 runs.

Two losses by 4 runs.

Yeah, their losses do tend be pretty decisive. And six of their wins have come by one run.

I'll take them any way they come...I don't care about the run differential, ugly as it may be, but usually a run differential like that is a sign of bad things to come.

Usually I don't go to games until after hockey season ends but I may wind up going to the game Saturday since it's supposed to be nice out. How is traffic getting in and out of Citi in case I decide to drive?

Really depends. It's been bad and good in my experiences there.

Usually I don't go to games until after hockey season ends but I may wind up going to the game Saturday since it's supposed to be nice out. How is traffic getting in and out of Citi in case I decide to drive?

It's not too bad. If you were to leave an inning early then you definitely won't have any issues, even as others leave. Getting out of there is a lot easier than Shea was.

Yeah...I'd do the train from South Orange but it's just as expensive as parking would be if not more so (I believe $12.50 round trip from SO to NYP, then at best another $4.50 with two subway trips) without having to worry about making connections since NJ Transit trains basically only run every hour on the weekend. At least it's not a night game, but I'd rather not be out too late considering I have almost a full day out the next day including Game 4 of the Devil series lol.

These last three games have been really deflating. They couldn't even managed one win against Houston.

Much-needed day off tomorrow followed by a 3-game home set with Arizona and then back on the road to Philly and Miami. Let's be happy we're at least a game over .500, it may not last much longer.

Edited by nmigliore

These last three games have been really deflating. They couldn't even managed one win against Houston.

Much-needed day off tomorrow followed by a 3-game home set with Arizona and then back on the road to Philly and Miami. Let's be happy we're at least a game over .500, it may not last much longer.

It wasn't supposed to, really. We kinda knew this team was going to struggle to stay above .500, and that was WITH Pelfrey. They also have the 2nd worst run differential in the league (-30). All signs are pointing towards a major slump, the kind that will have the Mets 5 games or so under .500 before we can blink...maybe it won't happen right away, but I think it's coming eventually. The big stories now are 1)Can David Wright keep up his resurgence (and will the Mets play him if he does...I don't think I would), and 2)Can Ike Davis turn an abysmal start into a respectable season?

Mr. Met is #1!

Things are looking up for the New York Mets. The Bernie Madoff case is settled (though the related debt will linger awhile), and the team is finishing up a winning April. Topping off the good news: the club's longest serving member, Mr. Met, stands as America's favorite sports mascot in 2012.

The simple, perpetually grinning veteran with the giant baseball head nosed out the Phillie Phanatic in the latest fan survey done by The Marketing Arm's Davie Brown Index, which measures people's perceptions of celebrities and their influence on brands. Measurements used by the DBI for sports mascots: awareness, likeability and breakthrough, the last of which refers to the degree consumers take notice of the mascot when he appears at the stadium and on television, plus the degree to which people are able to match a mascot to his team (a mascot named Mr. Met would seem to have little trouble there, while the San Antonio Spurs' Coyote might have his work cut out for him).

The top five:

5. Wally the Green Monster (Boston Red Sox)

4. San Diego Chicken (freelance)

3. Benny the Bull (Chicago Bulls)

2. Phillie Phanatic (Philadelphia Phillies)

1. Mr. Met (New York Mets)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spt--mr--met-tops-list-of-favorite-mascots.html;_ylt=AncpPOWd8GXUzLrwA1bDev4RvLYF

2v3ja61.jpg

Edited by nmigliore

Miguel Batista is going to be the 5th starter now. This is ridiculous.

I rarely get on Sandy for anything and in reality this move won't mean anything once the team is out of the playoff race, but it's still disappointing. You don't just punt a spot like that. It's pretty obvious to anyone, whether you look at traditional stats or sabermetric stats (or no stats at all), that Miguel Batista is bad. He really shouldn't be on the 25-man roster as the team's long reliever, let alone starting games every fifth day.

It's true that the other options (Schwinden and Hefner) might not be incrementally better, but that goes back to Sandy not adding any starting depth in the offseason; plenty of okay pitchers signed minor league deals like Jeff Francis, Zach Duke, and Joel Pineiro. And yes, these pitchers are sure as heck better than Batista. But instead of adding a body, the Mets sat on their hands and entered the year with the unproven Chris Schwinden as their best option if someone got hurt. That's just not good roster management. Hopefully Sandy has something up his sleeve and he can bring in someone capable of not being an embarrassment every fifth day, but for now we'll just have to deal with Batista.

I guess the only positive to come of this is that Sandy has been clear about Matt Harvey and Jeurys Familia not being options. And he's right, neither pitcher is ready for the Majors.

Edited by nmigliore

It ain't about this year nmig. Sucks, but we all know it. Maybe next year, if Wheeler and Harvey and Familia make insane progress, they start thinking about becoming relevant again, but relevance is probably coming in 2014 at the earliest. But I know what you mean...you'd like management to be a little less obvious about the fact that they're punting this year away.

Sandy's waiting on Chris Young (supposed to be back by the end of May I guess), which is itself a faulty plan since the guy's made of glass. He is better than Pelfrey or the dreck they're throwing out there now, but that's only gonna last a month till he goes back on the DL.

Young is better than nothing, but counting on him is foolish. It'll be a miracle if he lasts more than a handful of starts; he's bound to get hurt or just get destroyed with the slop he throws up there.

Edited by nmigliore

Rough one last night. 13-13 and outscored by 31 runs, and only a game out of last. 4-0 seems like a long time ago...

It's sad how much faith Collins has in Rauch; despite some early season luck, he's really not any good (horrid numbers last season, swinging strike rate alarmingly bad this season). Bobby Parnell, on the other hand, has an average leverage index only higher than Miguel Batista. Parnell is arguably the team's best reliever. Collins needs to get Parnell in more high leverage spots and get Rauch way down the pecking order.

Edited by nmigliore

Rough one last night. 13-13 and outscored by 31 runs, and only a game out of last. 4-0 seems like a long time ago...

Believe it or not, the Mets are 6th in the NL in OPS, which his better than their runs scored total would have you to believe, and the starting staff xFIP is 4th in the league. That's a lot better than I figured them to be. No, the ERA isn't pretty but that's mostly due to the unluckiest HR/FB rate in the league. In other words, they are due for a lot of positive regression. The starter's ERA is is roughly a full run higher than what it probably should be.

Edited by nmigliore

Francisco nails down an absolute gem by Dickey! Nice bounceback series! Gotta enjoy this one while it lasts because this trip to Philly might be hell; Halladay on Monday, Batista on the mound for us Tuesday (ugh), and then Lee on Wednesday.

Francisco nails down an absolute gem by Dickey! Nice bounceback series! Gotta enjoy this one while it lasts because this trip to Philly might be hell; Halladay on Monday, Batista on the mound for us Tuesday (ugh), and then Lee on Wednesday.

Amazing, they keep finding a way to stay above .500 just a little bit longer. They may not be terribly good, but they do give their all.

WOW! Jordany Valdespin with a HUGE pinch-hit 3-run bomb and it was his first Major League hit!! What a win!!!

Also, major credit to Mike Nickeas. He came in after Thole had to leave and was against the ropes versus Papelbon only to rope a 2-strike, 2-out double to keep the inning alive. Shades of Omir Santos!

spinner.png

Edited by nmigliore

What exactly happened to Thole? Was it a dirty slide by Wiggington? (not like those things can go punished anyway...)

unexpected win, takes the edge off of that other unexpected win tonight :puke:

It wasn't dirty, he just caught him with the shoulder in the face on the slide.

It seems like it's a concussion for Thole. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Church fiasco, which basically ruined his career. The Mets need to be very cautious.

Unfortunately the catching situation in the meantime is going to be pretty terrible; Rob Johnson seems like the most logical call-up but he can't hit or catch very well.

Edited by nmigliore